Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sambal oelek?

On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.
>
> Thanks
> Janet H.

Try Chili pasteof Suzy Wan, Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 10:20 AM, Sjeef wrote:

> Maybe this can help:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

Ive bought this brand, before. I'll buy it no more!

In case you haven't noticed, this is the same guy who makes the much
loved Sriracha chili sauce one sees almost everywhere. Sambal Oelek is
supposed to be an Indonesian chili sauce. This brand taste too much
like a Mexican chili sauce (I prefer Cholula).

Huy Fong uses Mexican chilies (serrano? jalapeno?) as his main chile.
How he gets Sriracha to taste like Asian chiles, I cannot say, but his
Sambal Oelek definitely taste like it was made in Mexico fer Mexicans.

If that does not bother you, go for it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 7:20:41 AM UTC-10, Sjeef wrote:
> On 2019-02-19 17:15:16 +0000, said:
>
> > On Monday, July 8, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> >> I've got a recipe that calls for "sambal oelek", and I've not been
> >> able to find this anywhere. Does it go by another name? The recipe
> >> is for an indian-type sauce for fish.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Janet H.

> > Try Chili pasteof Suzy Wan, Janet

> Maybe this can help:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

> --
> Regards,
>
> Gerard Schaefers
>
> Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
> Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu
>
> RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

I like the sambal sauce on the table at the Vietnamese restaurant down the street. It has a fermented taste to it with some garlic, fish sauce, and oil added. I'll ask the guy how he makes it the next time I'm there. It's placed on the table in a cheap plastic cup with a ill fitting plastic soft drink cover with a hole cut into it to fit a cheap plastic spoon. It's a very cheap but effective sauce container.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:17:24 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 2/19/2019 10:20 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>
>> Maybe this can help:
>>
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

>Ive bought this brand, before. I'll buy it no more!
>
>In case you haven't noticed, this is the same guy who makes the much
>loved Sriracha chili sauce one sees almost everywhere. Sambal Oelek is
>supposed to be an Indonesian chili sauce. This brand taste too much
>like a Mexican chili sauce (I prefer Cholula).
>
>Huy Fong uses Mexican chilies (serrano? jalapeno?) as his main chile.
>How he gets Sriracha to taste like Asian chiles, I cannot say, but his
>Sambal Oelek definitely taste like it was made in Mexico fer Mexicans.
>
>If that does not bother you, go for it.

Sambal oelek's not a brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:18:16 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:17:24 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2/19/2019 10:20 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe this can help:
> >>
> >> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

> >Ive bought this brand, before. I'll buy it no more!
> >
> >In case you haven't noticed, this is the same guy who makes the much
> >loved Sriracha chili sauce one sees almost everywhere. Sambal Oelek is
> >supposed to be an Indonesian chili sauce. This brand taste too much
> >like a Mexican chili sauce (I prefer Cholula).
> >
> >Huy Fong uses Mexican chilies (serrano? jalapeno?) as his main chile.
> >How he gets Sriracha to taste like Asian chiles, I cannot say, but his
> >Sambal Oelek definitely taste like it was made in Mexico fer Mexicans.
> >
> >If that does not bother you, go for it.

> Sambal oelek's not a brand.

Huy Fong is, though, and the company is a huge purveyor of
Asian sauces (including sambal oelek) in the U.S.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:31:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:18:16 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> >Ive bought this brand, before. I'll buy it no more!
>> >
>> >In case you haven't noticed, this is the same guy who makes the much
>> >loved Sriracha chili sauce one sees almost everywhere. Sambal Oelek is
>> >supposed to be an Indonesian chili sauce. This brand taste too much
>> >like a Mexican chili sauce (I prefer Cholula).
>> >
>> >Huy Fong uses Mexican chilies (serrano? jalapeno?) as his main chile.
>> >How he gets Sriracha to taste like Asian chiles, I cannot say, but his
>> >Sambal Oelek definitely taste like it was made in Mexico fer Mexicans.
>> >
>> >If that does not bother you, go for it.

>> Sambal oelek's not a brand.

>Huy Fong is, though, and the company is a huge purveyor of
>Asian sauces (including sambal oelek) in the U.S.

Conclusion:
Sambal oelek is not a brand.
Huy Fong is a brand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 12:18 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Sambal oelek's not a brand.

I never sed it was!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-19 1:39 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 7:20:41 AM UTC-10, Sjeef wrote:

>>> Try Chili pasteof Suzy Wan, Janet

>> Maybe this can help:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sambal+oelek&t=h_&ia=web

>> -- Regards,
>>
>> Gerard Schaefers
>>
>> Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl Homepage in Dutch,
>> English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu
>>
>> RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

> I like the sambal sauce on the table at the Vietnamese restaurant
> down the street. It has a fermented taste to it with some garlic,
> fish sauce, and oil added. I'll ask the guy how he makes it the next
> time I'm there. It's placed on the table in a cheap plastic cup with
> a ill fitting plastic soft drink cover with a hole cut into it to fit
> a cheap plastic spoon. It's a very cheap but effective sauce
> container.

I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with a
lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a couple
Dutch grocery stores. However, the recent poster was responding to a
question posted in 1996.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 15:09:34 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 2/19/2019 12:18 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Sambal oelek's not a brand.

>I never sed it was!
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

Ok, then I misunderstud ya.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:16:42 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-19 1:39 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I like the sambal sauce on the table at the Vietnamese restaurant
>> down the street. It has a fermented taste to it with some garlic,
>> fish sauce, and oil added. I'll ask the guy how he makes it the next
>> time I'm there. It's placed on the table in a cheap plastic cup with
>> a ill fitting plastic soft drink cover with a hole cut into it to fit
>> a cheap plastic spoon. It's a very cheap but effective sauce
>> container.
>>

>I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with a
>lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a couple
>Dutch grocery stores.

Probably Conimex brand then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 12:18:51 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with a
> lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a couple
> Dutch grocery stores. However, the recent poster was responding to a
> question posted in 1996.

Those must be Indo-Dutch folks?

I know about the OP question being from a while back. I get to see the entire thread because I use Google Groups. My response is pretty relevant because I've been using sambal sauce when it's on the table. It's wonderful stuff - if you desire extra heat.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....o/vf3p0scWz0oJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I don't think it matters how old a post is, if it is provoking interest and
> discussion .... all is good)

I certainly agree with you there, O. An old post might never had
been read by others here. No big deal...if it's interesting,
nothing wrong with it...new people and often new ideas. Old food
posts revisited is certainly a nice break from all the bickering
that goes on here.

That said, the bickering here seems to be the glue that keeps
this group going. When food talk gets slack, everyone can just
pick on the person of current interest. lol Once that gets worn
out, another food topic shows up just in the nick of time. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
> It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

Only 3 of those per day. You read them all don't you, Jill? Come
on...fess up..you do read them all. I'm certainly teasing you
now as I'm LOL. Don't (as in that one pic of you) grit your teeth
and glare as you reach for a knife in the kitchen. That was a
scary pic. I always assumed that your evil x-husband was the one
behind the camera.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:15:43 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
>> It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

"Trolls who are interested in blind dates..." This woman has to leave
home more, see more people. She's creating her own scary little
universe full of Gmail trolls who want to blind date her.

>Only 3 of those per day. You read them all don't you, Jill? Come
>on...fess up..you do read them all. I'm certainly teasing you
>now as I'm LOL. Don't (as in that one pic of you) grit your teeth
>and glare as you reach for a knife in the kitchen. That was a
>scary pic.

lol Maybe she has Resting Glare Face.

>I always assumed that your evil x-husband was the one
>behind the camera.

How can he be evil if she loved him enough to marry him?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-20 10:27 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> It only matters because the person they are replying to from 1996 likely
> has figured things out by now.Â* The gmail posters are mainly
> fly-by-night.Â* I'd be surprised if he/she ever bothers to come back to
> read this.
>
> Google isn't promoting more food and cooking related discussions here.
> It definitely promotes trolls who are interested in blind dates, etc.

I think that is more likely one troll using multiple names. My reader is
set to sort by date and the date site posts tend to come in within
minutes of each other in the early morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-20 11:31 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 12:18:51 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>>

>> I don't have any on hand these days but, living in a community with
>> a lot of Dutch immigrants, it is sold at a local corner store and a
>> couple Dutch grocery stores. However, the recent poster was
>> responding to a question posted in 1996.

> Those must be Indo-Dutch folks?

No. They are Dutch Dutch, the type who immigrate and settle in rural
communities where they farm and build churches and schools. The Dutch
have adopted some Indonesian dishes because of their former colonial
involvement in Indonesia. My wife's second cousin/close friend spent
part of his childhood in Indonesia. The first time we had dinner at his
place he served Indonesian dishes. Some of the restaurants in the towns
with lots of Dutch people serve rice table.