Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default my rhubarb arrived

I'm so pleased. It got here yesterday. It came in a tall box with
Fragile Handle with Care all over it. The box was filled with foam
peanuts. The rhubarb itself was in a 6-inch pot with very wet soil
around it. I tucked the soil more tightly around the plant and
discovered that the pot contains mostly big, solid root. The rhubarb
is just beginning to get 'bumps' above the soil. I couldn't be more
pleased with the plant and the condition. I've never ordered before
from those folks but I would again.
Growerssolution.com
Now, if it would stop raining and snowing I could prepare the soil for
it. Meanwhile I have it in the unheated back bedroom.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-14 12:21 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I'm so pleased. It got here yesterday. It came in a tall box with
> Fragile Handle with Care all over it. The box was filled with foam
> peanuts.

How do they taste? ;-)

>The rhubarb itself was in a 6-inch pot with very wet soil
> around it. I tucked the soil more tightly around the plant and
> discovered that the pot contains mostly big, solid root. The rhubarb
> is just beginning to get 'bumps' above the soil. I couldn't be more
> pleased with the plant and the condition. I've never ordered before
> from those folks but I would again.
> Growerssolution.com
> Now, if it would stop raining and snowing I could prepare the soil for
> it. Meanwhile I have it in the unheated back bedroom.

Don't expect a crop from it this year. Rhubarb usually takes a year or
more to take hold, even if you move an entire plant just a few feet into
the same type of soil. At least, that is my experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 14:16:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-14 12:21 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm so pleased. It got here yesterday. It came in a tall box with
>> Fragile Handle with Care all over it. The box was filled with foam
>> peanuts.

>How do they taste? ;-)
>
>>The rhubarb itself was in a 6-inch pot with very wet soil
>> around it. I tucked the soil more tightly around the plant and
>> discovered that the pot contains mostly big, solid root. The rhubarb
>> is just beginning to get 'bumps' above the soil. I couldn't be more
>> pleased with the plant and the condition. I've never ordered before
>> from those folks but I would again.
>> Growerssolution.com
>> Now, if it would stop raining and snowing I could prepare the soil for
>> it. Meanwhile I have it in the unheated back bedroom.
>>

>Don't expect a crop from it this year. Rhubarb usually takes a year or
>more to take hold, even if you move an entire plant just a few feet into
>the same type of soil. At least, that is my experience.

you are correct. Rhubarb, asparagus and peonies need a couple of
years to produce.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2019 2:16 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-14 12:21 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm so pleased.Â* It got here yesterday.Â* It came in a tall box with
>> Fragile Handle with Care all over it.Â*Â* The box was filled with foam
>> peanuts.

> How do they taste?Â*Â* ;-)
>
>> The rhubarb itself was in a 6-inch pot with very wet soil
>> around it. I tucked the soil more tightly around the plant and
>> discovered that the pot contains mostly big, solid root.Â* The rhubarb
>> is just beginning to get 'bumps' above the soil.Â* I couldn't be more
>> pleased with the plant and the condition.Â* I've never ordered before
>> from those folks but I would again.
>> Growerssolution.com
>> Now, if it would stop raining and snowing I could prepare the soil for
>> it.Â* Meanwhile I have it in the unheated back bedroom.
>>

> Don't expect a crop from it this year.Â* Rhubarb usually takes a year or
> more to take hold, even if you move an entire plant just a few feet into
> the same type of soil. At least, that is my experience.

Dave, I don't think this is Janet B's first rodeo when it comes to
gardening (and rhubarb in particular).

Jill