Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A new Fridge

On 2019-02-10 2:30 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:21:32 -0500, Dave Smith

>> When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
>> told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
>> the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
>> them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
>> Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen.

> That should not have been an issue. Fridges are made to be change and
> it takes minutes. I'm surprised they even tried to charge you for it.

I was surprised too. As it turned out, I had not been charged. The guys
did it because I said I had paid for it. I would have been ****ed if
they had not because the door was off and the hinge was off. It
required only that they pop out the plugs on the left side, stick them
into the holes on the other side and then mount the hinges on the left
instead of the right. We are a matter of seconds.

>> I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
>> freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
>> out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.
>>

> We've had two top freezer, one side by side, and now on the second
> French door with bottom freezer. I'd never go back.

Years ago we had a side by side with French doors. I did not like it.
Part of my dissatisfaction was due to the layout of the kitchen. The
fridge is in the corner and the table is there, making it a little
awkward. It would not have been much of an issue of the table was not
there. The bigger problem was the width. There wasn't room for a decent
sized turkey and the narrowness and shelving led to a lot of wasted
space. If the fridge was in a different location the French doors on a
full width fridge would work well.

> The top freezer just takes prime viewing space from the portion you
> use the most, one or two shelves in the fridge.

Yes indeed. It is so much easier to see things in the fridge.

> Side by side was OK on the fridge side, but the freezer was

narrow and