Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sugarless drinks

I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
go over real big -

Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you go stevia, may as well go with any diet drink. Wife likes Zero xxx water and Propel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> go over real big -
>
> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -
>

> --
> Rich

I like sweetzfree liquid the best. it's very sweet with just using a few
drops in things like lemonade etc. It's not real cheap but lasts a long
time, with no nasty aftertaste in cooking. I'm still working on a bottle I
got over a year ago.

http://www.sweetzfree.com/

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:48:01 AM UTC-6, RichD wrote:
> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> go over real big -
>
> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -
>

> --
> Rich

NO!!

Drink PURE WATER!!

Pure WATER is SWEET TO THE LIPS!!! Of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE!!!

John Kuthe, Rainbow Tribe Representative!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 9:48:01 PM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> go over real big -
>
> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -
>

> --
> Rich

Splenda/sucralose powder. Get the ones in the individual packets and experiment with 8 oz or so of lemonade to see if you can work with that first. If that works, get a bag of the pure sucralose power, not the bulked out powder. You can then drink lemonade until your teeth just gets eroded away from the acid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 9:48:01 PM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> go over real big -
>
> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -
>

> --
> Rich

Splenda/sucralose powder. Get the ones in the individual packets and
experiment with 8 oz or so of lemonade to see if you can work with that
first. If that works, get a bag of the pure sucralose power, not the bulked
out powder. You can then drink lemonade until your teeth just gets eroded
away from the acid.

==

What joy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Thursday, December 27, 2018 RichD wrote:
> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> go over real big -
>
> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -

Diet sprite over ice sweetened with vodka.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 3:55:23 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 9:48:01 PM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
> > I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> > but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> > go over real big -
> >
> > Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -
> >

> > --
> > Rich

> Splenda/sucralose powder. Get the ones in the individual packets and
> experiment with 8 oz or so of lemonade to see if you can work with that
> first. If that works, get a bag of the pure sucralose power, not the bulked
> out powder. You can then drink lemonade until your teeth just gets eroded
> away from the acid.
>
> ==
>
> What joy!

Chemistry is a wonderful science.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
> go over real big -
>
> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -

I won't touch Stevia and am not fond of Splenda. I would just put lemon
juice in water but I like it like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-30 8:04 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "RichD" > wrote in message
>> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
>> but on a low sugar diet.Â* Lemonade without sugar won't
>> go over real big -
>>
>> Any suggestions for other sweeteners?Â* Stevia or whatever -

> I won't touch Stevia and am not fond of Splenda. I would just put lemon
> juice in water but I like it like that.

Please remind us how many diet sodas you drink daily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-12-30 8:04 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "RichD" > wrote in message
>>> I'd like to make lemonade and suchlike juice drinks,
>>> but on a low sugar diet. Lemonade without sugar won't
>>> go over real big -
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for other sweeteners? Stevia or whatever -

>> I won't touch Stevia and am not fond of Splenda. I would just put lemon
>> juice in water but I like it like that.

> Please remind us how many diet sodas you drink daily.

One or less. I am transitioning over to only tea and water. Soda has gotten
too expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I won't touch Stevia and am not fond of Splenda. I would just put lemon
>>> juice in water but I like it like that.

>> Please remind us how many diet sodas you drink daily.

>One or less. I am transitioning over to only tea and water. Soda has gotten
>too expensive.

How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2¢
per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
expensive. Oh, and there's 5¢ deposit on each can but I bring them
back and my deposit is returned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:25:12 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
> pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2в
> per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
> expensive. Oh, and there's 5в deposit on each can but I bring them
> back and my deposit is returned.

Week before last my Kroger had Coke and ALL it's varieties on sale for 4
12-packs for $12.00. Three bucks a 12-pack ain't bad but I was sooooo
darn tired I did not take advantage of that sale. GRRRRRRRRR, but they
should be on sale again soon then I'll swoop in and buy 4 12-packs.

No deposit here on cans or bottles but they are rinsed before going into
my recycle bin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Please remind us how many diet sodas you drink daily.

>>One or less. I am transitioning over to only tea and water. Soda has
>>gotten
>>too expensive.

> How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
> pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2¢
> per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
> expensive. Oh, and there's 5¢ deposit on each can but I bring them
> back and my deposit is returned.

Regular price here is ax high as $6-7 for a 12 pack. I can occasionally find
a sale of 4/$12 but you must buy 4 to get the sale price. Angela and I
usually buy them together like that as neither of us needs 4 at a time. She
prefers Pepsi though and I won't touch that. Mostly the sale price is buy
two at regular price and get one free. There was a sale of buy two and get
three free but I *really* didn't want to buy 5! I got a 2 liter for 99
cents but I don't like to buy those either. It's okay if I have people over
but they don't fit in my fridge very well and they tend to go flat once
opened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:29:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>One or less. I am transitioning over to only tea and water. Soda has
>>>gotten
>>>too expensive.

>> How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
>> pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2¢
>> per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
>> expensive. Oh, and there's 5¢ deposit on each can but I bring them
>> back and my deposit is returned.

>Regular price here is ax high as $6-7 for a 12 pack. I can occasionally find
>a sale of 4/$12 but you must buy 4 to get the sale price. Angela and I
>usually buy them together like that as neither of us needs 4 at a time. She
>prefers Pepsi though and I won't touch that. Mostly the sale price is buy
>two at regular price and get one free. There was a sale of buy two and get
>three free but I *really* didn't want to buy 5! I got a 2 liter for 99
>cents but I don't like to buy those either. It's okay if I have people over
>but they don't fit in my fridge very well and they tend to go flat once
>opened.

The regular price here is the same as yours but once each month each
major bottler is on sale at about half price... this week it's Coke
products, next week could be Pepsi or 7up. My wife drinks diet Coke
and I drink Diet Sprite so we buy them 50/50.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 8:25:12 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> >> Please remind us how many diet sodas you drink daily.

> >One or less. I am transitioning over to only tea and water. Soda has gotten
> >too expensive.

> How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
> pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2в
> per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
> expensive. Oh, and there's 5в deposit on each can but I bring them
> back and my deposit is returned.

It was around 1977 that a 6-pack of soda went over $.99. It remember that it felt like a milestone had been broken and things would never be the same again. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:36:58 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 8:25:12 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> > >One or less. I am transitioning over to only tea and water. Soda has gotten
> > >too expensive.

> > How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
> > pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2в
> > per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
> > expensive. Oh, and there's 5в deposit on each can but I bring them
> > back and my deposit is returned.

> It was around 1977 that a 6-pack of soda went over $.99. It remember that it felt like a milestone had been broken and things would never be the same again. That's the breaks.

Congratulations. You're officially an old fart.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 02:47:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:36:58 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 8:25:12 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
>> > pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2?
>> > per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
>> > expensive. Oh, and there's 5? deposit on each can but I bring them
>> > back and my deposit is returned.

>> It was around 1977 that a 6-pack of soda went over $.99. It remember that it felt like a milestone had been broken and things would never be the same again. That's the breaks.

>Congratulations. You're officially an old fart.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

In 1950 a bottle of Coke cost 10¢, 8¢ when consummed at the store and
the empty bottle left.... oh, and all straws were paper and didn't
fall apart... who came up with the BS that paper straws dissolve/fall
apart?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 02:47:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> It was around 1977 that a 6-pack of soda went over $.99. It remember that it felt like a milestone had been broken and things would never be the same again. That's the breaks.

> >Congratulations. You're officially an old fart.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> In 1950 a bottle of Coke cost 10¢, 8¢ when consummed at the store and
> the empty bottle left.... oh, and all straws were paper and didn't
> fall apart... who came up with the BS that paper straws dissolve/fall
> apart?

The average family income in 1950 was $3300. The average family
income today is $53,046. That $0.10 Coke would cost $1.50 today
(assuming a 10-cent deposit) if the price of Coke kept up with
increases in pay.

Was that an 8-ounce bottle?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:37:04 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 02:47:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Congratulations. You're officially an old fart.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> In 1950 a bottle of Coke cost 10¢, 8¢ when consummed at the store and
>> the empty bottle left.... oh, and all straws were paper and didn't
>> fall apart... who came up with the BS that paper straws dissolve/fall
>> apart?

>The average family income in 1950 was $3300. The average family
>income today is $53,046. That $0.10 Coke would cost $1.50 today
>(assuming a 10-cent deposit) if the price of Coke kept up with
>increases in pay.

I've never seen even a Liter of Coke costing $1.50. today usually 99¢
or less.

>Was that an 8-ounce bottle?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Coke was 8 ozs.
Pepsi was 12 ozs.
Deposit was 2 ¢.
One qt. soda bottle deposit was 5¢.
One qt. milk bottle deposit was 3¢.
Depended where one lived... those were NYC prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 9:56:55 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:37:04 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 02:47:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> In 1950 a bottle of Coke cost 10¢, 8¢ when consummed at the store and
> >> the empty bottle left.... oh, and all straws were paper and didn't
> >> fall apart... who came up with the BS that paper straws dissolve/fall
> >> apart?

> >The average family income in 1950 was $3300. The average family
> >income today is $53,046. That $0.10 Coke would cost $1.50 today
> >(assuming a 10-cent deposit) if the price of Coke kept up with
> >increases in pay.

> I've never seen even a Liter of Coke costing $1.50. today usually 99¢
> or less.

So, relatively speaking, much cheaper than it was in 1950.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-02 9:56 a.m., wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:37:04 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 02:47:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> In 1950 a bottle of Coke cost 10¢, 8¢ when consummed at the store and
>>> the empty bottle left.... oh, and all straws were paper and didn't
>>> fall apart... who came up with the BS that paper straws dissolve/fall
>>> apart?

>> The average family income in 1950 was $3300. The average family
>> income today is $53,046. That $0.10 Coke would cost $1.50 today
>> (assuming a 10-cent deposit) if the price of Coke kept up with
>> increases in pay.

> I've never seen even a Liter of Coke costing $1.50. today usually 99¢
> or less.
>
>> Was that an 8-ounce bottle?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Coke was 8 ozs.
> Pepsi was 12 ozs.

I wasn't sure about that so I had to Google. Up until the 80s the small
Coke bottles were only 6.5 oz. and most other pop bottles were 10 oz. Up
here they had larger sizes for Coke, but I always thought that it tasted
better in the small bottles.

> Deposit was 2 ¢.
> One qt. soda bottle deposit was 5¢.
> One qt. milk bottle deposit was 3¢.

> Depended where one lived... those were NYC prices.

Shades of the Seinfeld episode where Newman used the mail truck to ship
a load of empty pop bottles to Michigan where the would get a bigger
deposit return.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 12:47:56 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:36:58 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 8:25:12 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> > > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> > > How much is too expensive? This week Coke products are on sale, a 12
> > > pack of 12oz cans is $4 and B2G1... that's 36 cans for $8, or 22.2в
> > > per can. I typically drink 1-2 cans per day, I don't consider that
> > > expensive. Oh, and there's 5в deposit on each can but I bring them
> > > back and my deposit is returned.

> > It was around 1977 that a 6-pack of soda went over $.99. It remember that it felt like a milestone had been broken and things would never be the same again. That's the breaks.

> Congratulations. You're officially an old fart.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Without a doubt, this is true. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-02 4:48 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 02 Jan 2019 09:23:33a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> On 2019-01-02 9:56 a.m., wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:37:04 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> I've never seen even a Liter of Coke costing $1.50. today usually
>>> 99¢ or less.

>>> Coke was 8 ozs.
>>> Pepsi was 12 ozs.

>> I wasn't sure about that so I had to Google. Up until the 80s the
>> small Coke bottles were only 6.5 oz. and most other pop bottles
>> were 10 oz. Up here they had larger sizes for Coke, but I always
>> thought that it tasted better in the small bottles.

> In the US Pepsi began selling 12 oz. bottles in the mid-1950s. The
> 6.5 oz. Cokes were rarely seen past the 1960s.
>
> I clearly remember a billboard advertising Pepsi (being pourd out of
> a bottle and to a glass) and the jingle on the radio "Pepsi Cola hits
> the spot, 12 full ounces that's a lot".

I looked through the vintage pop bottle sites. I saw 10 oz and 16 oz
Pepsi bottles, but no 12 oz bottles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 8>, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> I clearly remember a billboard advertising Pepsi (being pourd out of
> a bottle and to a glass) and the jingle on the radio "Pepsi Cola hits
> the spot, 12 full ounces that's a lot".

The Coca Cola people got to our school first, and we were forced to
learn this ditty on the playground by young thugs posing as playmates.

Pepsi Cola hits the spot
Keeps you running to the pot
Flush the handle
Pull the chain
There goes Pepsi
Down the drain

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-02 6:47 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 02 Jan 2019 03:54:46p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>>> In the US Pepsi began selling 12 oz. bottles in the mid-1950s.
>>> The 6.5 oz. Cokes were rarely seen past the 1960s.
>>>
>>> I clearly remember a billboard advertising Pepsi (being pourd out
>>> of a bottle and to a glass) and the jingle on the radio "Pepsi
>>> Cola hits the spot, 12 full ounces that's a lot".

>> I looked through the vintage pop bottle sites. I saw 10 oz and 16
>> oz Pepsi bottles, but no 12 oz bottles.
>>

> Check out the full jingle on this web site:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~pepsicop/pepsi_home.htm

It's on the internet so it has to be true. I still can't find any of the
12 oz bottle on the vintage bottle sites.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like coke zero sugar but the phosphoric acid in it is bad for the kidneys.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 7:19:07 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> I like coke zero sugar but the phosphoric acid in it is bad for the kidneys.

Kroger had Pepsi/Coke 12 packs and all their variations on sale this week,
3 for $10 and I picked up one grape and 2 diet caffeine-free Cokes. I missed
the 4 for $12 a couple weeks ago so I jumped on this one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-02 8:01 p.m., l not -l wrote:
> On 2-Jan-2019, wrote:
>
>> On 2019-01-02 6:47 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Wed 02 Jan 2019 03:54:46p, Dave Smith told us...

>>> Check out the full jingle on this web site:
>>>
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~pepsicop/pepsi_home.htm
>>>

>> It's on the internet so it has to be true. I still can't find any of the
>> 12 oz bottle on the vintage bottle sites.

> https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

Well there you go.

I never bought much pop when I was a kid. We didn't need to because our
neighbour was an executive with Canada Dry and kept us well supplied.
However, I seem to recall there were two sizes of pop, one selling for
10cents and the other was 12 cents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-02 11:01 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 02 Jan 2019 06:01:29p, l not -l told us...

>>> It's on the internet so it has to be true. I still can't find any
>>> of the 12 oz bottle on the vintage bottle sites.

>> https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.l1313&_nkw=v
>> intage+pepsi+bottle+12+oz&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0& _osacat=0&_odkw=v
>> intage+pepsi+bottle&LH_TitleDesc=0
>>

> Thanks for pointing that out. Now maybe Dave will believe what I
> told him.

I believe you Wayne. I was surprised that my search turned up only the
10 and 16 oz bottles. I was seeing lots of different size bottles from
other companies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:17:02 PM UTC-8, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 03 Jan 2019 04:06:22a, l not -l told us...
>

> > It was probably a regional thing. Back in those days, most widely
> > sold soda was produced by local/regional bottlers who bought syrup
> > from the "names", mixed, bottled and distributed it.
> >
> > Most of my knowledge of soda from "back in the day" came not from
> > drinking it but from stocking the coolers in my grandfather's
> > store. Soda was a very occasional treat for us, maybe one every
> > few weeks. But, I do recall that in western Ky in the 50s, at one
> > time we sold the small bottles of Coke, 7 Up and Dr Pepper.
> > Regional brands, Royal Crown, Sun Crest, Bubble Up, Double Cola,
> > Grapette, etc came in larger bottles, 10 or 12 ounce. The
> > regionals outsold the nationals due to more for the same $$. When
> > the "nationals" became available at our store, their sales
> > improved. By the time we sold the store in 1960, top sellers were
> > Royal Crown, Dr Pepper and Sun Crest Orange.
> >

> Yes, back in the 1950s and probably befoe that, thru at least the
> 1960s, there were a huge number of bottlers, mostly regional. I
> frequently visited my grandparents in Mississippi and always enjoyed
> the many fruit flavoars not available where my home was in Ohio.
> Most did come in 10 or 12 ounce bottles. You mentioned Grapette, and
> there was also Nugrape. I liked both. Of the colas Royal Crown and
> Double Cola ere very popular in the south, perhaps even more popular
> than Coke. These many years later I can't remember all the flavors
> but two of my favorites were a berry flavored drink and anotehr one
> that was almost a flourescent green in color and I think it was a
> lemon-lime, heavier on the lime. I'd really like to revisit all
> these some day, but that's not likely to happen.

I don't know about "regional." Royal Crown sold well into the
Midwest. Pizza delivery places carried it as opposed to Coke or
Pepsi, and they sold it cheaper. And Royal Crown produced the first
big diet soda, Diet Rite, available widely.

Regional brands I think of names like Faygo in Detroit or Canfield's in
Chicago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:25:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:17:02 PM UTC-8, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 03 Jan 2019 04:06:22a, l not -l told us...
>>

>> > It was probably a regional thing. Back in those days, most widely
>> > sold soda was produced by local/regional bottlers who bought syrup
>> > from the "names", mixed, bottled and distributed it.
>> >
>> > Most of my knowledge of soda from "back in the day" came not from
>> > drinking it but from stocking the coolers in my grandfather's
>> > store. Soda was a very occasional treat for us, maybe one every
>> > few weeks. But, I do recall that in western Ky in the 50s, at one
>> > time we sold the small bottles of Coke, 7 Up and Dr Pepper.
>> > Regional brands, Royal Crown, Sun Crest, Bubble Up, Double Cola,
>> > Grapette, etc came in larger bottles, 10 or 12 ounce. The
>> > regionals outsold the nationals due to more for the same $$. When
>> > the "nationals" became available at our store, their sales
>> > improved. By the time we sold the store in 1960, top sellers were
>> > Royal Crown, Dr Pepper and Sun Crest Orange.
>> >

>> Yes, back in the 1950s and probably befoe that, thru at least the
>> 1960s, there were a huge number of bottlers, mostly regional. I
>> frequently visited my grandparents in Mississippi and always enjoyed
>> the many fruit flavoars not available where my home was in Ohio.
>> Most did come in 10 or 12 ounce bottles. You mentioned Grapette, and
>> there was also Nugrape. I liked both. Of the colas Royal Crown and
>> Double Cola ere very popular in the south, perhaps even more popular
>> than Coke. These many years later I can't remember all the flavors
>> but two of my favorites were a berry flavored drink and anotehr one
>> that was almost a flourescent green in color and I think it was a
>> lemon-lime, heavier on the lime. I'd really like to revisit all
>> these some day, but that's not likely to happen.
>>

>I don't know about "regional." Royal Crown sold well into the
>Midwest. Pizza delivery places carried it as opposed to Coke or
>Pepsi, and they sold it cheaper. And Royal Crown produced the first
>big diet soda, Diet Rite, available widely.
>
>Regional brands I think of names like Faygo in Detroit or Canfield's in
>Chicago.

In Brooklyn we had Good Health Seltza in siphon bottles delivered...
the company also delivered White Rock beverages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rock_Beverages
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rachel...age-co-s-girl/
http://www.whiterockbeverages.com/
The White Rock girl is still my favorite logo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 8:00:55 AM UTC-8, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:25:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:17:02 PM UTC-8, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Thu 03 Jan 2019 04:06:22a, l not -l told us...

> >> Yes, back in the 1950s and probably befoe that, thru at least the
> >> 1960s, there were a huge number of bottlers, mostly regional. I
> >> frequently visited my grandparents in Mississippi and always enjoyed
> >> the many fruit flavoars not available where my home was in Ohio.
> >> Most did come in 10 or 12 ounce bottles. You mentioned Grapette, and
> >> there was also Nugrape. I liked both. Of the colas Royal Crown and
> >> Double Cola ere very popular in the south, perhaps even more popular
> >> than Coke. These many years later I can't remember all the flavors
> >> but two of my favorites were a berry flavored drink and anotehr one
> >> that was almost a flourescent green in color and I think it was a
> >> lemon-lime, heavier on the lime. I'd really like to revisit all
> >> these some day, but that's not likely to happen.
> >>

> >I don't know about "regional." Royal Crown sold well into the
> >Midwest. Pizza delivery places carried it as opposed to Coke or
> >Pepsi, and they sold it cheaper. And Royal Crown produced the first
> >big diet soda, Diet Rite, available widely.
> >
> >Regional brands I think of names like Faygo in Detroit or Canfield's in
> >Chicago.

> In Brooklyn we had Good Health Seltza in siphon bottles delivered...
> the company also delivered White Rock beverages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rock_Beverages
> https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rachel...age-co-s-girl/
> http://www.whiterockbeverages.com/
> The White Rock girl is still my favorite logo.

White Rock spring water originally came from Waukesha, Wisconsin,
which was once so popular that a promoter started to build a pipeline
to Chicago in time for the 1893 World's Fair.

Unfortunately, nowadays, local residents and farmers have pumped
down the water table 100 feet,reaching a radium contaminated level.
And now they are crying for Lake Michigan Water.

https://daily.jstor.org/clash-over-w...sha-wisconsin/

http://hellodrew.com/websites/spring...chapter04.html
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Rec...operty/HI29559

https://www.npr.org/2011/12/05/14305...fter-140-years

sugarless ice cream? RichD General Cooking 11 30-12-2012 02:11 AM
Best Sugarless Syrup? Theron General Cooking 20 07-07-2009 12:32 AM
Sugarless fudge? OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 24 03-04-2006 09:14 PM
Sugarless Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-08-2005 03:55 PM
Sugarless Strawberry Jam?? Ellen Wickberg Preserving 5 26-04-2004 03:13 AM