Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Sugarless Syrup?

Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
designated flavor is even worse..
TIA,

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
> designated flavor is even worse..
> TIA,
>
> Ed

There is none. Even the sugar ones suck compared to real maple syrup (but
can be tolerable), but the imitation stuff is horrid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:
> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
> designated flavor is even worse..
> TIA,

James likes the stuff from Costco, but we broke the bottle cap and I
poured it into a jar, so I'll have to check the brand next time we're there.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 2:29*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
> designated flavor is even worse..
> TIA,
>
> Ed

Just buy the real thing and use it sparingly. The substitutes are
awful and a waste of money.

If you have kids using the stuff....well, I can see why you don't
wanna use the real thing, the way they pour on a huge puddle and leave
half of it. Maybe some parents out there have a solution?

I mix my maple syrup with applesauce, or pureed strawberries -
anything to stretch the syrup and cut some calories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Theron" > wrote in message
> > Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
> > Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
> > designated flavor is even worse..
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ed
> >

> There is none. Even the sugar ones suck compared to real maple syrup (but
> can be tolerable), but the imitation stuff is horrid.

Agreed. If you have to go sugar free, look to make the pancake more
flavorful some other way. If you just have a misguided sugar phobia such
as the folks afraid of refined sugar, realize that real maple syrup is
not refined and has no refined sugar added, it is 100% boiled tree sap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2:29 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
>> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
>> designated flavor is even worse..
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ed

> Just buy the real thing and use it sparingly. The substitutes are
> awful and a waste of money.

That won't work for a diabetic. They are pushing it with the carbs in
the pancakes. Adding real syrup would probably mean one less pancake in
an already small serving.

DH has tried many of them and likes Carey's best. He says it has the
most mapely flavor.

BTW, Maple Grove Farms makes a "sugar-free" pancake mix that is also
very low in carbs. It makes doughy pancakes, but we like them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote: and leave
half of it. Maybe some parents out there have a solution?

>I mix my maple syrup with applesauce, or pureed strawberries -
>anything to stretch the syrup and cut some calories.

Ick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message
> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
> designated flavor is even worse..
> TIA,
>
> Ed

I like Carey's. It tastes mapley, has a nice consistency. It has aspartame,
which I try to avoid, but I don't have pancakes that often. Log Cabin
really, really sucks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 5-Jul-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
>> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
>> designated flavor is even worse..
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ed

> I use the Log Cabin Sugar Free, made with Splenda, and find it acceptable.

To me, the sugar free LC does not taste of anything like maple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote:

>> To me, the sugar free LC does not taste of anything like maple.

> You are absolutely correct, nor does original LC.

I had no idea original LC did not taste like maple! All that outrage wasted!

However, as I read it,
> maple was not a requirement, only an observation that imitation maple
> syrups
> tasted terrible. I believe if the requirement is for maple flavor, real
> maple syrup is the only product that will satisfy. If, however, the OPs
> quest is as stated ("the best sugarless syrup for pancakes"), LC Sugar
> Free
> is as good as it gets.

Try Casey's some time, if you feel like it. I would be interested in knowing
what you think about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote

> Try Casey's

That was supposed to be "Carey's." It does have a maple flavor, to my taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theron" > wrote:

> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
> designated flavor is even worse..
> TIA,
>
> Ed

Most low carbers I know swear by DaVinci brand.
I've never tried it personally. I feel it's just better to use very,
very small amounts of the real stuff, diluted if you need/want to use
more. That won't work for some people tho'.

I've not eaten anything requiring syrup now for at least the past 7 or 8
years.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
>> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
>> designated flavor is even worse..
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ed

> Most low carbers I know swear by DaVinci brand.
> I've never tried it personally. I feel it's just better to use very,
> very small amounts of the real stuff, diluted if you need/want to use
> more. That won't work for some people tho'.
>
> I've not eaten anything requiring syrup now for at least the past 7 or 8
> years.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
> It's about learning to dance in the rain.
> -- Anon.
>

> Subscribe:

Diluting is a very good idea. I have always assumed that pure maple syrup
had a very high glycemic index. It is about 50, which is acceptable for
dealing with the metabolic syndrome[FBS 100-110]. Diluting a "nontaste zero
sugar" half with maple syrup would give you something acceptable and with a
low glycemic index of 25. That's very acceptable.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 6-Jul-2009, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> "cybercat" > wrote
>> >
>> > Try Casey's

>> That was supposed to be "Carey's." It does have a maple flavor, to my
>> taste.

> OK, now I know of it. I have tried Carey's in the past and liked it.
> Sadly, it isn't carried in the store I shop regularly; I'll try to
> remember
> to look next time shop a different store.

About the Log Cabin--as I recall, it almost had a lemony flavor, does it to
you? My English aunt was telling me that the custom there growing up was to
have butter, sugar, and lemon juice on pancakes. Sounds good to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote
> I do keep a small jar of real maple syrup on hand for the rare occasion a
> substitute just won't do. It's so tasty, I don't mind the limited
> serving
> size I must abide by.

Yeah, there is nothing like real maple. Now I am going to have to get some.
I still really like Krusteaz whole wheat pancake mix, made thin, to produce
light, crispy-edged thin pancakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a suggestion for the best sugarless syrup for pancakes?
>> Imitation flavor maple syrups I've tried are terrible. The Smucker's non
>> designated flavor is even worse..
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ed

> Most low carbers I know swear by DaVinci brand.
> I've never tried it personally. I feel it's just better to use very,
> very small amounts of the real stuff, diluted if you need/want to use
> more. That won't work for some people tho'.
>
> I've not eaten anything requiring syrup now for at least the past 7 or 8
> years.

I like various DaVinci flavors, but I haven't tried their maple
flavor. I can't say I have read any rave reviews of that.

--
Jean B.

sugarless ice cream? RichD General Cooking 11 30-12-2012 01:11 AM
ISO Sugarless candy recipe phil[_2_] Diabetic 4 24-01-2009 12:48 AM
Sugarless fudge? OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 24 03-04-2006 09:14 PM
Sugarless Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-08-2005 03:55 PM
Sugarless Strawberry Jam?? Ellen Wickberg Preserving 5 26-04-2004 03:13 AM