Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buncha Canadian geese floating down-river

I see mostly Common Mergansers in my river (1st 30 miles of Arkansas)
with Canadian geese jes flyin' over. Never seen 'em "floating by", in
mass.

Did see a "pair" of CG's starting to nest, across from me, but
"tourist" scared 'em away.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 12:00:12 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> I see mostly Common Mergansers in my river (1st 30 miles of Arkansas)
> with Canadian geese jes flyin' over. Never seen 'em "floating by", in
> mass.
>
> Did see a "pair" of CG's starting to nest, across from me, but
> "tourist" scared 'em away.
>
> nb

Notbob, I know you want to be accurate, so let me tell you that it is NEVER
"Canadian," as in Canadian Geese/Goose. It is ALWAYS "CANADA Goose, Canada Geese."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy2 > wrote:

> Notbob, I know you want to be accurate, so let me tell you that it is NEVER
> "Canadian," as in Canadian Geese/Goose. It is ALWAYS "CANADA Goose, Canada Geese."

Now now, just think about it. If the geese were born in Canada, they're
Canadian geese. I "think" that most Snow Geese are Canadian

[ObFood] Coarsely diced chicken breast, leftover Rice-A-Roni, broccoli
and carrots in chicken stock with fresh parsley served with buttered
Dutch Crunch slices.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2018 10:00 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> Notbob, I know you want to be accurate, so let me tell you that it is NEVER
> "Canadian," as in Canadian Geese/Goose. It is ALWAYS "CANADA Goose, Canada Geese."

I stand (sit, recline, whatever works) corrected.

I was totally unaware it was an "issue".

"There were a buncha "big ass, ring-necked," geese, from somewhere North
of here, floating down my river. Never seen such a thing!"

Howzat?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard, one wants to be correct, right? The proper name should be used, otherwise listeners
might think you were not smart enough to talk about Canada Geese. ;-)). Ask any bird watcher
or hunter.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nb, I love it. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-13 8:00 a.m., notbob wrote:
> On 12/12/2018 10:00 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Notbob, I know you want to be accurate, so let me tell you that it is
>> NEVER
>> "Canadian," as in Canadian Geese/Goose.Â* It is ALWAYS "CANADA Goose,
>> Canada Geese."

> I stand (sit, recline, whatever works) corrected.
>
> I was totally unaware it was an "issue".
>
> "There were a buncha "big ass, ring-necked," geese, from somewhere North
> of here, floating down my river.Â* Never seen such a thing!"
>
> Howzat?Â*

I think the issue is the name of the species, not their citizenship.
There are Canada Geese who live up here and migrate south for the
winter. Lots of them move to southern Ontario where they can still find
open water, and many others fly further south in the US. There are also
Canada geese who spend their entire lives there. In fact the hunting
seasons are set up to differentiate. I can't remember if it is open
during the migration so they can pick off the illegal aliens, or if it
is closed down during the migration to allow them to pass through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 1:00:12 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> I see mostly Common Mergansers in my river (1st 30 miles of Arkansas)
> with Canadian geese jes flyin' over. Never seen 'em "floating by", in
> mass.
>
> Did see a "pair" of CG's starting to nest, across from me, but
> "tourist" scared 'em away.
>
> nb

I looked out the window of the break room at work an hour ago, and
about 50 Canada geese were floating on the pond.

Not unusual this time of year.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli wrote:
>On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 notbob wrote:
>>
>> I see mostly Common Mergansers in my river (1st 30 miles of Arkansas)
>> with Canadian geese jes flyin' over. Never seen 'em "floating by", in
>> mass.
>>
>> Did see a "pair" of CG's starting to nest, across from me, but
>> "tourist" scared 'em away.
>>
>> nb

>I looked out the window of the break room at work an hour ago, and
>about 50 Canada geese were floating on the pond.
>
>Not unusual this time of year.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Too bad he didn't snap a pic so I'd believe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy, it will be great when they move on....when there is a large group, they make such a
mess on surrounding grass, etc., that most people can't even walk there and are glad to see
them move on.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 8:25:08 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Cindy, it will be great when they move on....when there is a large group, they make such a
> mess on surrounding grass, etc., that most people can't even walk there and are glad to see
> them move on.
>
> N.

You're not wrong. We don't have people on the grass very much
in December, but occasionally the geese decided to camp out in
the parking lot and everybody walks to and from their cars looking
at the pavement.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-14 8:25 a.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> Cindy, it will be great when they move on....when there is a large
> group, they make such a mess on surrounding grass, etc., that most
> people can't even walk there and are glad to see them move on.

They are a pain in the butt when they hang around in large numbers. They
can be aggressive and the crap everywhere. There are a number of spots
along local rivers where we kayak and it is difficult getting in and out
at low banks and dogs because everything is covered in goose shit. Some
friends down the road have pond that attracts a lot of geese and they
can't walk on their lawn without stepping in it. On the positive side,
they have a weed free and well fertilized lawn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-14 10:03 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> You're not wrong. We don't have people on the grass very much
> in December, but occasionally the geese decided to camp out in
> the parking lot and everybody walks to and from their cars looking
> at the pavement.

I thought that Canada geese were bad enough in parking lots, but there
is a box store plaza about 10 miles from us that had a problem with
gulls. They were such a problem that the owners had to get approval to
get rid of them. Herring gulls are a protected species. The gulls were
nesting on the roof the down and feathers from the nests and the young
birds was all over the place and forever blowing into the store.

I was walking across the lot one night with a friend as a gull flew
over and I felt something hit my back. Sure enough, I had a big white
glob of crap running down the back of my blue shirt. Shortly after
that they got rid of the gulls, and I was not sorry to see them go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 07:03:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 8:25:08 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Cindy, it will be great when they move on....when there is a large group, they make such a
>> mess on surrounding grass, etc., that most people can't even walk there and are glad to see
>> them move on.
>>
>> N.

>You're not wrong. We don't have people on the grass very much
>in December, but occasionally the geese decided to camp out in
>the parking lot and everybody walks to and from their cars looking
>at the pavement.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

With a few hours of rain all that *odorless* goose poop dissolves into
the soil... free organic fertilizer...people who maintain a nice lawn
love Canada geese. All those lawn care companies apply carcinogen
chemical fertilizers, they even need to mark the lawn all over with
warning flags ... I'd much rather see kids play on a goose poop
treated lawn And I definitelly don't want to mow any chemfert treated
lawn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 3:50:38 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-13 8:00 a.m., notbob wrote:
> > On 12/12/2018 10:00 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> >> Notbob, I know you want to be accurate, so let me tell you that it is
> >> NEVER
> >> "Canadian," as in Canadian Geese/Goose.Â* It is ALWAYS "CANADA Goose,
> >> Canada Geese."

> > I stand (sit, recline, whatever works) corrected.
> >
> > I was totally unaware it was an "issue".
> >
> > "There were a buncha "big ass, ring-necked," geese, from somewhere North
> > of here, floating down my river.Â* Never seen such a thing!"
> >
> > Howzat?Â*

> I think the issue is the name of the species, not their citizenship.
> There are Canada Geese who live up here and migrate south for the
> winter. Lots of them move to southern Ontario where they can still find
> open water, and many others fly further south in the US. There are also
> Canada geese who spend their entire lives there. In fact the hunting
> seasons are set up to differentiate. I can't remember if it is open
> during the migration so they can pick off the illegal aliens, or if it
> is closed down during the migration to allow them to pass through.

Them boids is pretty as a picture. I'd rather see a picture of them rather than mingle among them. It was kind of frightful the first time I come to meet up with them giant boids in the Twin Cities. There was slimy shit everywhere. That's reality for ya. Sometimes it ain't so pretty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Canada geese poop habits is where the expression, "...like shit through a goose,"
comes from. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-15 12:10 a.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> Canada geese poop habits is where the expression, "...like shit
> through a goose," comes from. LOL.

Yep. They crap about every 20 minutes. Their feces can contain all sorts
of bacteria and parasites than can be transmitted to humans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 9:02:36 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-15 12:10 a.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> > Canada geese poop habits is where the expression, "...like shit
> > through a goose," comes from. LOL.
> >

> Yep. They crap about every 20 minutes. Their feces can contain all sorts
> of bacteria and parasites than can be transmitted to humans.

Hee hee! And people are worries about CHEM TRAILS?

ROFL!!! Birds!! The Original ChemTrailers! Preferably right smack dab in the DRIVER'S VIEW on their Internal Combustion Engine FARTMOBILE!!!!

NOW who is the ChemTrailer? FART! FART! FART!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I was walking across the lot one night with a friend as a gull flew
> over and I felt something hit my back. Sure enough, I had a big white
> glob of crap running down the back of my blue shirt. Shortly after
> that they got rid of the gulls, and I was not sorry to see them go.

When I was a kid, we all shot BB guns in the desert. The dump was about
two miles away from home, and California gulls congregated there. There
were large excavation humps of dirt that they rested on when tired of
eating garbage. I believe that they were a protected species, so I'm
about to reveal a crime that I committed. I was about twelve.
I was standing near a hump with my pump BB gun which was supposedly
more powerful than a regular Daisy. A gull landed on top of the hump,
and I took the shot. It rolled down to my feet as if dead, and I picked
it up and ran proudly to my friend to display my kill. BB guns don't
kill gulls unless you do a head shot. I hadn't.
As I displayed the gull, it awakened, pumped a huge load of hot crap
all over the front of my T-shirt, broke loose from my stunned fingers
and flew away. I can still see the whole incident as if it were
yesterday.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> Them boids is pretty as a picture. I'd rather see a picture of them rather
> than mingle among them. It was kind of frightful the first time I come to
> meet up with them giant boids in the Twin Cities. There was slimy shit
> everywhere. That's reality for ya. Sometimes it ain't so pretty.

That's why good Hawaiians should always keep the Nene population down.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:57:05 PM UTC-10, Leo Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi1 <dsi1> wrote:
>
> > Them boids is pretty as a picture. I'd rather see a picture of them rather
> > than mingle among them. It was kind of frightful the first time I come to
> > meet up with them giant boids in the Twin Cities. There was slimy shit
> > everywhere. That's reality for ya. Sometimes it ain't so pretty.

> That's why good Hawaiians should always keep the Nene population down.
>
> leo

You bring up a good point. The good news is that those boids don't fly so you get rid of one major element right there. The second bit of good news (and most important of all) is that the only place I've ever seen a nene is in the zoo.

The bad news is that while the nene doesn't fly, Hawaiian cockroaches do - sometimes aggressively so. I was watching a large roach descend down the wall the other night. He stopped and we had a face-off. This went on for quite a while then, all of a sudden, he opened his wings and flew directly at my head and the beast landed on my hair and crawled down off my back. What a fright that was! In the end, I blasted him in the puss with Hot Shot. His dead body is somewhere under the bed - at least, that's what I'm hoping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I was walking across the lot one night with a friend as a gull flew
> over and I felt something hit my back. Sure enough, I had a big white
> glob of crap running down the back of my blue shirt. Shortly after
> that they got rid of the gulls, and I was not sorry to see them go.

When I was a kid, we all shot BB guns in the desert. The dump was about
two miles away from home, and California gulls congregated there. There
were large excavation humps of dirt that they rested on when tired of
eating garbage. I believe that they were a protected species, so I'm
about to reveal a crime that I committed. I was about twelve.
I was standing near a hump with my pump BB gun which was supposedly
more powerful than a regular Daisy. A gull landed on top of the hump,
and I took the shot. It rolled down to my feet as if dead, and I picked
it up and ran proudly to my friend to display my kill. BB guns don't
kill gulls unless you do a head shot. I hadn't.
As I displayed the gull, it awakened, pumped a huge load of hot crap
all over the front of my T-shirt, broke loose from my stunned fingers
and flew away. I can still see the whole incident as if it were
yesterday.

leo

====

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Disease, for sure...toxoplasmosis for one, which lingers on forecer. I believe
it is the one called,"parrot fever."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Not long ago I saw maybe 30 canadian geese flying over the river down town.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Col, I know you saw geese from Canada, but what species were they?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some canadian geese never visit canada, the ones here don't fly south in winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ah, you are talking about Canada Geese. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

yes, 1000 pardons
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 coltwvu wrote:

>Some canadian geese never visit canada, the ones here don't fly south in winter.

How so you know where the wild goose goes... no one knows where the
wild goose goes. Several Canada geese live out the winters in my
frigid back yard. When the snow is too deep for them to get to the
frozen grass I feed them... they know to eat carrots and veggie
parings. They coexist with the deer, the deer don't dare mess with
them... geese are very tough critters. But they know me because I go
outside and toss them treats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-17, jmcquown > wrote:

> What is it with you and pictures?

I have no idea what his problem is. Apparently, he want's me to use
"his" picture hosting site ....the one with all the "hot babes" on it.

Show me one that is "free" (free of ads, also).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Buncha Canadian geese floating down-river" implies that they're
dead. They maintain the same position or they swim in some
direction or another. They don't just float with the current unless
they're dead.

I point this out as I bet many of us read that subject and wondered
why dead geese are floating by.

-sw