Jack Curry

Default Geese help pleeeze

Went huntin' in Louisiana this weekend and have some speckled belly geese to
cook, which is a first for me. Have any of you ever smoked a wild goose?
I don't know nuthin' about cooking a goose, so all suggestions are welcome.
Jack Curry

BOB

Jack Curry typed:
> Went huntin' in Louisiana this weekend and have some speckled belly geese to
> cook, which is a first for me. Have any of you ever smoked a wild goose?
> I don't know nuthin' about cooking a goose, so all suggestions are welcome.
> Jack Curry

Find out 'cuz I wanna smoke a goose for Christmas this year.

BOB
yer goose is cooked

Graeme... in London

"Jack Schidt$B%g(B" > wrote in message
om...

> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote in message
> news
> > Went huntin' in Louisiana this weekend and have some speckled belly

geese
> > cook, which is a first for me. Have any of you ever smoked a wild

goose?
> > I don't know nuthin' about cooking a goose, so all suggestions are

> welcome.
> > Jack Curry
> >

> I've found they're not as fatty as the barnyard variety but still benefit
> from low and slow cooking, to let the smoke do its magic and to render

some
> fat out (save), followed by amping up the temp considerably for the last
> ummm....errr.....half hour? hour? (Helps with the skin). Fruit wood is
> good, but hickory or maple does a great job as well.
>
> Save the fat!! It's a really good high temp frying medium that adds

flavor.
> Think 'schmaltz' and not the Lawrence Welk kind.
>
> Jack
>
> PS One more thing....you'll know when your goose is cooked.

I must concur with what Jack says. I cooked a goose a couple of years back
and made the mistake of cooking it at too high a temperature. The meat
released all of its fat too early in the cooking process and I ended up with
precious little meat remaining attached to the bones!
The goose fat is the creme de la creme as far as fats go. It is cholesterol
free and (allegedly) does not contain any saturates therefore making it
healthy. (So I read in a cooking magazine recently)
It works great while cooking roast potatoes.
Good luck

Graeme
(Whats good for the Goose, is good for the Gander)

Jack Schidt®

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> Graeme... in London wrote:
> > "Jack Schidt$B%g(B" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >>
> >> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote in message
> >> news > >>> Went huntin' in Louisiana this weekend and have some speckled belly
> >>>

> Careful now everyone, looks like some of this advice is for domestic,

rather
> than wild goose, very different creatures. One's got lotsa fat, the other
> don't. If you love dark meat, you'll love wild waterfowl, cuz it doesn't
> come any darker.
> Jack, sorry, I've never been very successful with larger birds, damn hard

> keep from drying out. I would expect the longer cooking times of bbq would
> simply dry out the meat, and that there's not enough of the right type of
> tissues to break the meat down. But I've been wrong before, and I think
> we've seen someone post a how to for goose about a year ago, you might

want
> to try google to find it?
> I don't know, but maybe the 1st 30 minutes at a fairly hi temp to crisp

the
> skin and then down to 350 or so till it's medium done. I do a domestic

duck
> that way successfully. ( Julia Child recipe)
> Most of the ducks I get out here are teal so I breast em and cook em in a
> pan filled with wine and herbs.
> Good luck

Jaysus, you bounced around the gazebo a bunch, so I'm not sure what you're
saying. Kinda like you think something ain't right but can't put your
finger on it...

Yes, wild goose is leaner than barnyard gooses but certainly fattier than a
chicken or a domestic turkey. If you can smoke a chicken you can for sure
smoke a wild goose. Just watch the internal temp (which I'm sure Mr Curry
will do). IIRC 155 to 160 at the thickest part is done. This is not an
overnight cook either. Relax, have a homebrew ;-P

Jack