Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Shrimp Burgers

I saw this on PBS on 'America's Test Kitchen' a couple of days ago.
They tasted shrimp burgers all up and down the North and South Carolina
coast and settled on the shrimp burgers from the Shrimp Shack on Saint
Helena Island (where I live). Here's what they came up with for
replicating at home without having to deep fry them:

1 c. Panko breadcrumbs, pulverized in a food processor

You want the crunch but not the sharp texture of Panko. It's not a
filler, it's for dredging. Set the crumbs aside.

Combine in the food processor:

1 c. large shrimp (about 21 ct.) peeled and deveined, tails removed
2 Tbs. mayonnaise
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Pulse these ingredients together but don't let it turn into a paste.
You want to still have discernible pieces of shrimp. Turn the mixture
out into a mixing bowl. Add three finely chopped scallions and mix
well. Form into 3 inch round burgers, about 3/4 inch thick. Dredge
them in the Panko and let them set for a few minutes.

Pan fry the shrimp burgers in about 3 Tbs. of neutral oil over medium
heat, about 3-5 minutes on each side until golden. Using two spatulas
makes turning them easier.

Spread some tartar sauce on the bottom of a hamburger bun. Add a shrimp
burger. Top the burger with a little more tartar sauce and a leaf of
Bibb lettuce. Voila!

This is one of the few restaurants in this area that actually serve hush
puppies. They were much more common on menus when I lived in the Mid-South.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 8:40:45 AM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I saw this on PBS on 'America's Test Kitchen' a couple of days ago.
> They tasted shrimp burgers all up and down the North and South Carolina
> coast and settled on the shrimp burgers from the Shrimp Shack on Saint
> Helena Island (where I live).
>
> Jill

Right now, for the month of December, my local PBS station is going through
it's tired and worn out membership drive. Most all their regular programming
goes out the window while they do the membership push. For about 30 days
I don't even turn on that channel as what they air is garbage, at least
it is to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-05 5:26 a.m., GM wrote:
> graham wrote:

>>> Right now, for the month of December, my local PBS station is going through
>>> it's tired and worn out membership drive. Most all their regular programming
>>> goes out the window while they do the membership push. For about 30 days
>>> I don't even turn on that channel as what they air is garbage, at least
>>> it is to me.
>>>

>> Same here! All that Irish clog dancing, screaming Irish sopranos and
>> syrupy tenors, and pensioned-off rock bands from the 60s.
>> Why the hell they think we want to watch that stuff again and again
>> beats me!

> Because the demographic for public broadcasting (at leaat in the US) is 60++ ... thus the vapid Brit murder mysteries, cookery shows, armchair travelogues, etc....
>
> US public broadcasting should not get *one* penny of public funding, public broadcasting would thus be empowered to improve itself...or die in the process.

Then how would you improve Fox? No public money there and it is
appallingly bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Dec 2018 graham wrote:
>On 2018-12-05 GM wrote:
>> graham wrote:

>>> Same here! All that Irish clog dancing, screaming Irish sopranos and
>>> syrupy tenors, and pensioned-off rock bands from the 60s.
>>> Why the hell they think we want to watch that stuff again and again
>>> beats me!

>> Because the demographic for public broadcasting (at leaat in the US) is 60++ ... thus the vapid Brit murder mysteries, cookery shows, armchair travelogues, etc....
>>
>> US public broadcasting should not get *one* penny of public funding, public broadcasting would thus be empowered to improve itself...or die in the process.
>>

>Then how would you improve Fox? No public money there and it is
>appallingly bad.

Um, you must have more than 100 other channels, oh dim bulb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

graham wrote:

> On 2018-12-05 5:26 a.m., GM wrote:
> > graham wrote:

> >> Same here! All that Irish clog dancing, screaming Irish sopranos and
> >> syrupy tenors, and pensioned-off rock bands from the 60s.
> >> Why the hell they think we want to watch that stuff again and again
> >> beats me!

> > Because the demographic for public broadcasting (at leaat in the US) is 60++ ... thus the vapid Brit murder mysteries, cookery shows, armchair travelogues, etc....
> >
> > US public broadcasting should not get *one* penny of public funding, public broadcasting would thus be empowered to improve itself...or die in the process.
> >

> Then how would you improve Fox? No public money there and it is
> appallingly bad.

Fox is a private entity and offers a quality product, graham...US public broadcasting offers puerile leftist cant, and thus has to suckle at the public teat...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-05 6:27 p.m., GM wrote:
> graham wrote:

>>> Because the demographic for public broadcasting (at leaat in the US) is 60++ ... thus the vapid Brit murder mysteries, cookery shows, armchair travelogues, etc....
>>>
>>> US public broadcasting should not get *one* penny of public funding, public broadcasting would thus be empowered to improve itself...or die in the process.
>>>

>> Then how would you improve Fox? No public money there and it is
>> appallingly bad.

> Fox is a private entity and offers a quality product,

Now I know you are off your rocker!