Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Burgers 2007. Was: Red Robin Burgers

TerryinDTW said...

> I am suprised no onew has mentioned Fuddruckers, their burgers are 10
> times
> better than Red Robin.

There used to be one nearby but it's gone.

They were certainly fresher but equally flavorless.

The "doctor it up yourself" table was a great idea!

The 100 (??) proof white lightning at the bar was something to laugh about,
not drink!!!

I'll still lay all-time "delicious" claims on the Smokehouse hamburgers
(Oakland, CA) with nods to Jack-in-the-Box "ultimate cheeseburgers."

Probably time to reissue the annual "Best Burgers..." thread?

And presto!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 2007, at 7:40?am, Andy wrote:

> There used to be one [Fuddrucker's] nearby but it's gone.

> They were certainly fresher [than Red Robin] but equally
> flavorless.

I went to a Red Robin once - years ago. I thought the burger
was surprisingly bland - no beefiness, little flavor, just
nothing there. I don't remember anything about the bun.
condiments, sides or beverages. I've been to Fuddrucker's
a few times, but mostly because my son liked to play the
video games when he was around 5 or 6. I don't remember
FR burgers being much better than RR burgers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 2007, at 7:40?am, Andy wrote:

> There used to be one [Fuddrucker's] nearby but it's gone.

> They were certainly fresher [than Red Robin] but equally
> flavorless.

I went to a Red Robin once - years ago. I thought the burger
was surprisingly bland - no beefiness, little flavor, just
nothing there. I don't remember anything about the bun.
condiments, sides or beverages. I've been to Fuddrucker's
a few times, but mostly because my son liked to play the
video games when he was around 5 or 6. I don't remember
FR burgers being much better than RR burgers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> says...
> TerryinDTW said...
>
> > I am suprised no onew has mentioned Fuddruckers, their burgers are 10
> > times
> > better than Red Robin.

> There used to be one nearby but it's gone.
>
> They were certainly fresher but equally flavorless.
>
> The "doctor it up yourself" table was a great idea!
>
> The 100 (??) proof white lightning at the bar was something to laugh about,
> not drink!!!
>
> I'll still lay all-time "delicious" claims on the Smokehouse hamburgers
> (Oakland, CA) with nods to Jack-in-the-Box "ultimate cheeseburgers."
>
> Probably time to reissue the annual "Best Burgers..." thread?
>
> And presto!
>
> Andy

I have concluded that the only way to get a great burger is to make it
yourself. I assume there are some high-end places that can do a great
burger for $15, but I have yet to find one. Lone Star Steakhouse did (or
at least used to do, I haven't been there in years) a good job, but each
burger was enough for 2 non-gluttons.

Of course, much of the problem is that most places will not give you a
burger that is not cooked to death. Here in NC it is by law, other
places it is from worry of lawsuits. You cannot have a great burger that
is not red or at most pink in the center.

Get a meat grinder, buy your own chuck (best) or round or sirloin or
whatever, and do your burgers yourself. Heaven!

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> I'll still lay all-time "delicious" claims on the Smokehouse hamburgers
> (Oakland, CA) with nods to Jack-in-the-Box "ultimate cheeseburgers."
>
> Probably time to reissue the annual "Best Burgers..." thread?
>
> And presto!

O'Connells Pub in St. Louis. Excellent beer selection too. Blueberry
Hill is also pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery said...

> O'Connells Pub in St. Louis. Excellent beer selection too. Blueberry
> Hill is also pretty good.

Young man, what's your name and why are you late to school?
I'm Timmy and I was out playing on Blueberry Hill.

Young man, what's your name and why are You late to school?
I'm Bobby and I was out playing on Blueberry Hill.

Young man, what's your name and why are YOU late to school?
I'm Billy and I was out playing on Blueberry Hill.

Little girl, were you out playing on Blueberry Hill too!?
No Ma'am, I AM Blueberry Hill.

YUK, Yuk, yuk?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A said...

> In article >, Andy <q> says...
>> TerryinDTW said...
>>
>> > I am suprised no onew has mentioned Fuddruckers, their burgers are 10
>> > times
>> > better than Red Robin.

>> There used to be one nearby but it's gone.
>>
>> They were certainly fresher but equally flavorless.
>>
>> The "doctor it up yourself" table was a great idea!
>>
>> The 100 (??) proof white lightning at the bar was something to laugh
>> about, not drink!!!
>>
>> I'll still lay all-time "delicious" claims on the Smokehouse hamburgers
>> (Oakland, CA) with nods to Jack-in-the-Box "ultimate cheeseburgers."
>>
>> Probably time to reissue the annual "Best Burgers..." thread?
>>
>> And presto!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I have concluded that the only way to get a great burger is to make it
> yourself. I assume there are some high-end places that can do a great
> burger for $15, but I have yet to find one. Lone Star Steakhouse did (or
> at least used to do, I haven't been there in years) a good job, but each
> burger was enough for 2 non-gluttons.
>
> Of course, much of the problem is that most places will not give you a
> burger that is not cooked to death. Here in NC it is by law, other
> places it is from worry of lawsuits. You cannot have a great burger that
> is not red or at most pink in the center.
>
> Get a meat grinder, buy your own chuck (best) or round or sirloin or
> whatever, and do your burgers yourself. Heaven!

Agreed!

Standing in the line forming in front of Peter A's house.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> I have concluded that the only way to get a great burger is to make it
> yourself. I assume there are some high-end places that can do a great
> burger for $15, but I have yet to find one. Lone Star Steakhouse did (or
> at least used to do, I haven't been there in years) a good job, but each
> burger was enough for 2 non-gluttons.
>
> Of course, much of the problem is that most places will not give you a
> burger that is not cooked to death. Here in NC it is by law, other
> places it is from worry of lawsuits. You cannot have a great burger that
> is not red or at most pink in the center.
>
> Get a meat grinder, buy your own chuck (best) or round or sirloin or
> whatever, and do your burgers yourself. Heaven!

There is another option. Forget the industrial places and patronize the
mom & pop places that make good burgers any way you like. I just had a
great one for lunch. It was made from fresh ground meat, cooked to
medium and served on a kaiser roll with a slice of Vidalia onion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm coming in late to this discussion so have no clue what's been said
so far -
I just tried my first Red Robin burger yesterday. I think I did the
classic gourmet burger with cheddar (??) and while the meat was okay, I
felt the whole thing was ruined by the sweet, sweet relish they put on
it. After having a mango margharita (or was it a daquari?) and then that
sweet relish-it was just too much "sweet" at one meal. Blech.
I'll go back another time and leave the relish off and give it another
shot. The place was packed (newly opened) and the fries were okay. I was
told the fries are "a bottomless serving" which probably appeals to a
lot of folks.
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:
> On May 21, 2007, at 7:40?am, Andy wrote:
>
>> There used to be one [Fuddrucker's] nearby but it's gone.

>> They were certainly fresher [than Red Robin] but equally
>> flavorless.

We got another birthday burger from RR so it looks like we might be
trying it again tonight. I'll be thinking about the burger a little
more now and how it compares to some others.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm coming in late to this discussion so have no clue what's been said so
> far -
> I just tried my first Red Robin burger yesterday. I think I did the
> classic gourmet burger with cheddar (??) and while the meat was okay, I
> felt the whole thing was ruined by the sweet, sweet relish they put on it.

Here in SoCal it's still In-'N-Out for the best burger.

Harriet & critters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:08:07 GMT, "Harriet Neal"
> wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> I'm coming in late to this discussion so have no clue what's been said so
>> far -
>> I just tried my first Red Robin burger yesterday. I think I did the
>> classic gourmet burger with cheddar (??) and while the meat was okay, I
>> felt the whole thing was ruined by the sweet, sweet relish they put on it.

>Here in SoCal it's still In-'N-Out for the best burger.

Best cheap meal burger anyway. Can't beat a $1.50 burger that
actually fills you up.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:08:07 GMT, "Harriet Neal"
> wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> I'm coming in late to this discussion so have no clue what's been said so
>> far -
>> I just tried my first Red Robin burger yesterday. I think I did the
>> classic gourmet burger with cheddar (??) and while the meat was okay, I
>> felt the whole thing was ruined by the sweet, sweet relish they put on it.

>Here in SoCal it's still In-'N-Out for the best burger.
>
>Harriet & critters.

I have to agree with that. Not only does In-'N-Out beat out all the
other fast food burgers, it also beats the likes of Red Robin, Islands
and Fudruckers. The best "speciality" burger in southern California
has to be the Pastrami Cheese Burger at Kings on Reseda Blvd. Just
remembering the blend of flavors is making my mouth water.

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:08:07 GMT, "Harriet Neal"
> > wrote:

> > Here in SoCal it's still In-'N-Out for the best burger.
> >

> Best cheap meal burger anyway. Can't beat a $1.50 burger that
> actually fills you up.

The only fast-food burger-like item I can stand is White Castle.

Brian

won't shut up.

Burgers. I'm back[_2_] General Cooking 7 01-08-2013 08:21 PM
Burgers - what do you do? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 26 23-05-2010 10:35 PM
Like your Burgers BIG? Burger Fan General Cooking 8 17-05-2007 01:22 AM
Burgers Break Apart - How to grill burgers Pavel Barbecue 25 04-07-2004 06:59 PM