Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fruitcake confession

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...
>
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:35:09 -0800 (PST),
>> " > wrote:

>>>This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt,
>>>ridiculous.

>> See it as a challenge. Although I'm not sure where to get ground
>> doves.
>>

>I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every make
>it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use for
the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar fruitcake
again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 23:49:29 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 12 Nov 2018 04:25:36p, Brice told us...
>
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...

>>>I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every
>>>make it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

>> Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use
>> for the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar
>> fruitcake again.
>>

>I seem to always have leftover ingredients. I freeze excess nuts as
>they gan rancid over time. The dried fruits can be stored in vacuum
>sealed jars or bags. The glaceéd or candied fruits typically have a
>shelf life of 2 years. You don't have to make another fruitcake, and
>most of these ingredients can be used in other types of baked
>goods;e.g., cookies coffee cake,etc.

True, it shouldn't stop me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:25:36 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...

>>> See it as a challenge. Although I'm not sure where to get ground
>>> doves.
>>>

>>I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every make
>>it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

>Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use for
>the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar fruitcake
>again.

When I made fruit cakes I used dried fruit, not glaced. We keep dried
fruit in the pantry all the time for snacks, plus we really like
compote. We don't like fruit cake made with glaced fruits, when
someone gifts us one the critters get it.
The best place to buy dried fruit:
https://market.sunmaid.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:25:36 +1100, Brice >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...

>>> I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every make
>>> it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

>> Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use for
>> the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar fruitcake
>> again.

> When I made fruit cakes I used dried fruit, not glaced. We keep dried
> fruit in the pantry all the time for snacks, plus we really like
> compote. We don't like fruit cake made with glaced fruits, when
> someone gifts us one the critters get it.
> The best place to buy dried fruit:

https://market.sunmaid.com/

Wow Popeye, I'm surprised that yoose would have anything to do with
fruitcakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 19:45:53 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:

> if you place a human in an experiment like they do with mice, where the
> the fruitcake is behind one door and chocolate cake is behind the other
> one, and repeat with enough subjects to satisfy the statisticians, the
> experiment will prove that fruitcake is not an acceptable dessert
>
> of course it will always be a thought experiment and we'll never know
> the real answer, because this would never get past ethical review due to
> the potential exposure to fruitcake :-)

Hoarders might prefer the fruitcake since it can last for several
years without refrigeration or even wrapping.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:35:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 12:13:52 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > Semi-Dark Fruitcake
> > (Recipe from Onnie Lougenia Pennington)
> > 2 cups golden raisins
> > 1 cup dark raisins
> > 1 cup currants
> > 2 cups dried apricot halves, snipped into ½" pieces
> > 2 cups dried figs, halved, stems discarded
> > 1 cup pitted prunes, snipped into ½" pieces
> > 1 cup whole pitted dates
> > 3 cups English walnuts, in halves or large pieces
> > 2 cups pecans, in halves or large pieces
> > 1 cup filberts, halved
> > 2 cups candied cherries (red and green, if possible)
> > 2 cups candied pineapple slices, cut in wedges
> > 1 cup candied lemon peel
> > 1 cup candied orange peel
> > 1 cup candied citron
> > 3 oranges, grated zest only
> > 3 lemons, grated zest only
> > 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
> > 2 teaspoons cinnamon
> > 1 teaspoon ground allspice
> > 1 teaspoon mace
> > 1/2 teaspoon ground doves.
> > 1 cup molasses
> > 2 cups brandy
> > 1/2 cup orange liqueur (my addition)
> > 4 cups all-purpose flour
> > 1 tablespoon baking powder
> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
> > 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> > 1 pound butter (4 sticks or 2 cups)
> > 3 cups dark brown sugar
> > 8 eggs
> > 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> >

> This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:39:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> A good well boozed fruit cake does not need to be kept in the freezer,
> if simply kept in a tin in a cool, dark place, it grows in flavour. I
> used to make them in October for Xmas. One year I had made them then
> we wound up moving overseas and they went to the storage place. Two
> years later, they were the best we ever had!!

Not everybody has a cool, dark place. My basement is nearly as warm
as my living space.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:52:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:35:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 12:13:52 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> >
>> > Semi-Dark Fruitcake
>> > (Recipe from Onnie Lougenia Pennington)
>> > -----------------------------------------------
>> > 2 cups golden raisins
>> > 1 cup dark raisins
>> > 1 cup currants
>> > 2 cups dried apricot halves, snipped into ½" pieces
>> > 2 cups dried figs, halved, stems discarded
>> > 1 cup pitted prunes, snipped into ½" pieces
>> > 1 cup whole pitted dates
>> > 3 cups English walnuts, in halves or large pieces
>> > 2 cups pecans, in halves or large pieces
>> > 1 cup filberts, halved
>> > 2 cups candied cherries (red and green, if possible)
>> > 2 cups candied pineapple slices, cut in wedges
>> > 1 cup candied lemon peel
>> > 1 cup candied orange peel
>> > 1 cup candied citron
>> > 3 oranges, grated zest only
>> > 3 lemons, grated zest only
>> > 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
>> > 2 teaspoons cinnamon
>> > 1 teaspoon ground allspice
>> > 1 teaspoon mace
>> > 1/2 teaspoon ground doves.
>> > 1 cup molasses
>> > 2 cups brandy
>> > 1/2 cup orange liqueur (my addition)
>> > 4 cups all-purpose flour
>> > 1 tablespoon baking powder
>> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
>> > 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> > 1 pound butter (4 sticks or 2 cups)
>> > 3 cups dark brown sugar
>> > 8 eggs
>> > 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
>> >

>> This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

>Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?

If I may: the list is rather long, Cindy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:55:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:39:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
>> A good well boozed fruit cake does not need to be kept in the freezer,
>> if simply kept in a tin in a cool, dark place, it grows in flavour. I
>> used to make them in October for Xmas. One year I had made them then
>> we wound up moving overseas and they went to the storage place. Two
>> years later, they were the best we ever had!!

>Not everybody has a cool, dark place. My basement is nearly as warm
>as my living space.

Same here, except we don't even have a basement. When it's hot, it's
hot everywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 5:58:04 AM UTC-5, Brice wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:52:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

> >Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?

> If I may: the list is rather long, Cindy

A trifle long, perhaps. But fruitcake typically has a lot of different
types of dried and candied fruit. It's obvious that the recipe writer
has a very, very specific outcome in mind.

Mine is a little simpler and makes a light fruitcake rather than a dark one..
I don't follow Gretchen's recipe exactly; I substitute dried fruit for all of
the candied fruit.

Gretchen's Fruitcake

1 cup raisins
0.5 cup citron, chopped
0.5 cup candied lemon peel, chopped
0.5 cup candied orange peel, chopped
0.5 cup candied pineapple, chopped
1 cup dried, shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt
0.5 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs plus 1 yolk
0.5 cup brandy or rum
2 tablespoons sherry
3 tablespoons orange juice

The dry team:
Combine candied fruit and nuts.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Combine flour mixture with fruit mixture.
The wet team:
Cream butter and sugar.
Beat eggs and add to butter/sugar.
Add booze and orange juice to butter/sugar/eggs.
Add the wet team to the dry team and stir.
Fill some unspecified number of greased loaf pans.
Bake at 250 F for 1.5 hours or until the cake shrinks from the sides of the pans. Let cool, de-pan, then wrap in brandy- or rum-soaked muslin, then aluminum foil.

Cindy's Fruit Cake

As above, only with these substitutions:
No candied fruit. Instead:
0.5 cup dried cherries
0.5 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
0.5 cup chopped dried apricots
0.25 cup dried blueberries
(Or any other dried fruit that seems enticing)
Soak the dried fruit in a little hot booze to plump it.
Where brandy, sherry, and orange juice are specified, use bourbon, rum, or any other congenial spirit of choice.
Use mini-loaf pans and fake the cooking time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...

>>> See it as a challenge. Although I'm not sure where to get ground
>>> doves.
>>>

>>I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every make
>>it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

>Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use for
>the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar fruitcake
>again.

My supermarket carries all the fruit and nuts and spices in the bulk
foods section. I'm having a really hard time in this city getting
ground cloves. Getting cloves is easy. I could put the cloves in my
spice grinder but the oils in the cloves really mar and pit plastic.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-13 8:21 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:25:36 +1100, Brice >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...

>>> I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every make
>>> it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

>> Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use for
>> the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar fruitcake
>> again.

> My supermarket carries all the fruit and nuts and spices in the bulk
> foods section. I'm having a really hard time in this city getting
> ground cloves. Getting cloves is easy. I could put the cloves in my
> spice grinder but the oils in the cloves really mar and pit plastic.
> Janet US

Try ground mace instead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>On Monday, November 12, 2018 lucretia wrote:
>
>> A good well boozed fruit cake does not need to be kept in the freezer,
>> if simply kept in a tin in a cool, dark place, it grows in flavour.

Isn't in a tin automatically in a dark place?

>> I used to make them in October for Xmas. One year I had made them then
>> we wound up moving overseas and they went to the storage place. Two
>> years later, they were the best we ever had!!

>Not everybody has a cool, dark place. My basement is nearly as warm
>as my living space.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

My basement stays about 70ºF all year, however my basement fridge
provides a cool place, I have it set at 45ºF, perfect for my garden
crops and produce; spuds, onions, celery, etc... however I can't
guarantee the light goes out when the door is closed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 08:21:05 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:25:36 +1100, Brice >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:52:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 12 Nov 2018 03:43:21p, Brice told us...

<fruitcake recipe>

>>>I'm sure you'll work it, but doubt seriously that you'll every make
>>>it. Most good fruitcake have quite a few ingredientsw.

>>Finding the ingredients is one thing, but I wouldn't have any use for
>>the leftovers of many ingredients, unless I make a similar fruitcake
>>again.

>My supermarket carries all the fruit and nuts and spices in the bulk
>foods section. I'm having a really hard time in this city getting
>ground cloves. Getting cloves is easy. I could put the cloves in my
>spice grinder but the oils in the cloves really mar and pit plastic.
>Janet US

I guess I could put the cloves in the thermomix. It grinds just about
anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:28:50 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

>>>Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific
>>>criticism?

>> If I may: the list is rather long, Cindy
>>

>No one said you had to make it. Our family has made this cake for
>generations.

I'm not complaining about the length of the list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:39:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
>> A good well boozed fruit cake does not need to be kept in the freezer,
>> if simply kept in a tin in a cool, dark place, it grows in flavour. I
>> used to make them in October for Xmas. One year I had made them then
>> we wound up moving overseas and they went to the storage place. Two
>> years later, they were the best we ever had!!

> Not everybody has a cool, dark place. My basement is nearly as warm
> as my living space.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Somebody gave us a fruitcake years ago, we threw it in the closet and forgot
about it until we were moving a few years later, we gave it to my brother
who thought it was the best he had ever had too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:55:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:39:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>>> A good well boozed fruit cake does not need to be kept in the freezer,
>>> if simply kept in a tin in a cool, dark place, it grows in flavour. I
>>> used to make them in October for Xmas. One year I had made them then
>>> we wound up moving overseas and they went to the storage place. Two
>>> years later, they were the best we ever had!!

>>Not everybody has a cool, dark place. My basement is nearly as warm
>>as my living space.

> Same here, except we don't even have a basement. When it's hot, it's
> hot everywhere.

Uh oh, I feel a basement versus non basement discussion coming out of NY.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:52:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:35:13 PM UTC-5,
>>wrote:

>>> This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

>>Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?

> If I may: the list is rather long, Cindy

Especially if one doesn't like fruitcake.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:52:52 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:35:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 12:13:52 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > >
> > > Semi-Dark Fruitcake
> > > (Recipe from Onnie Lougenia Pennington)
> > > 2 cups golden raisins
> > > 1 cup dark raisins
> > > 1 cup currants
> > > 2 cups dried apricot halves, snipped into ½" pieces
> > > 2 cups dried figs, halved, stems discarded
> > > 1 cup pitted prunes, snipped into ½" pieces
> > > 1 cup whole pitted dates
> > > 3 cups English walnuts, in halves or large pieces
> > > 2 cups pecans, in halves or large pieces
> > > 1 cup filberts, halved
> > > 2 cups candied cherries (red and green, if possible)
> > > 2 cups candied pineapple slices, cut in wedges
> > > 1 cup candied lemon peel
> > > 1 cup candied orange peel
> > > 1 cup candied citron
> > > 3 oranges, grated zest only
> > > 3 lemons, grated zest only
> > > 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
> > > 2 teaspoons cinnamon
> > > 1 teaspoon ground allspice
> > > 1 teaspoon mace
> > > 1/2 teaspoon ground doves.
> > > 1 cup molasses
> > > 2 cups brandy
> > > 1/2 cup orange liqueur (my addition)
> > > 4 cups all-purpose flour
> > > 1 tablespoon baking powder
> > > 1 teaspoon baking soda
> > > 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> > > 1 pound butter (4 sticks or 2 cups)
> > > 3 cups dark brown sugar
> > > 8 eggs
> > > 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> > >

> > This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

> Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 8:28:53 AM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> No one said you had to make it. Our family has made this cake for
> generations.

You're correct and I wouldn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 12:36:48 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:

> Uh oh, I feel a basement versus non basement discussion coming out of NY.
>
> Cheri

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:36:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:55:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>Not everybody has a cool, dark place. My basement is nearly as warm
>>>as my living space.

>> Same here, except we don't even have a basement. When it's hot, it's
>> hot everywhere.

>Uh oh, I feel a basement versus non basement discussion coming out of NY.

There is that risk

I've never seen a house with a basement in the Australian countryside.
I guess there's so much room, that there's no need to start digging.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:37:04 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:52:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?

>> If I may: the list is rather long, Cindy

>Especially if one doesn't like fruitcake.

I always had a bias against them. Stuffy Christmas snack for old
people etc. But I should really try it first. It's becoming kind of
intriguing. I have a 50s magazine with a recipe for a light and a
recipe for a dark cake. The ingredient lists are doable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:52:52 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

>> Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 1:54:28 PM UTC-5, Brice wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:36:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Brice" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 02:55:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Same here, except we don't even have a basement. When it's hot, it's
> >> hot everywhere.

> >Uh oh, I feel a basement versus non basement discussion coming out of NY.

> There is that risk
>
> I've never seen a house with a basement in the Australian countryside.
> I guess there's so much room, that there's no need to start digging.

It's not about room. America has plenty of room. Here in the North,
we have to dig down four feet to get our foundation
below the frost line. Otherwise, the foundation would gradually heave
out of the ground with successive freeze/thaw cycles.

Once you're down 4 feet, you may as well dig another 2 feet (or more
in modern construction) and have usable space. In the time when
northerners' expectations were being set, it was also nice to have
that cold yet typically unfrozen space for storing (for example)
home-canned foods in glass jars.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 11:36:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 1:54:28 PM UTC-5, Brice wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:36:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Brice" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Uh oh, I feel a basement versus non basement discussion coming out of NY.

>> There is that risk
>>
>> I've never seen a house with a basement in the Australian countryside.
>> I guess there's so much room, that there's no need to start digging.

>It's not about room. America has plenty of room.

America has, definitely. But in cities room is always at a premium.

>Here in the North,
>we have to dig down four feet to get our foundation
>below the frost line. Otherwise, the foundation would gradually heave
>out of the ground with successive freeze/thaw cycles.

I've never heard of that problem in the Netherlands, but most houses
there have basements nevertheless.

>Once you're down 4 feet, you may as well dig another 2 feet (or more
>in modern construction) and have usable space. In the time when
>northerners' expectations were being set, it was also nice to have
>that cold yet typically unfrozen space for storing (for example)
>home-canned foods in glass jars.

In Amsterdam houses were or are built on poles, so as to reach stable
ground.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:52:52 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 5:35:13 PM UTC-5,
> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 12:13:52 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Semi-Dark Fruitcake
> > > (Recipe from Onnie Lougenia Pennington)
> > > 2 cups golden raisins
> > > 1 cup dark raisins
> > > 1 cup currants
> > > 2 cups dried apricot halves, snipped into ½" pieces
> > > 2 cups dried figs, halved, stems discarded
> > > 1 cup pitted prunes, snipped into ½" pieces
> > > 1 cup whole pitted dates
> > > 3 cups English walnuts, in halves or large pieces
> > > 2 cups pecans, in halves or large pieces
> > > 1 cup filberts, halved
> > > 2 cups candied cherries (red and green, if possible)
> > > 2 cups candied pineapple slices, cut in wedges
> > > 1 cup candied lemon peel
> > > 1 cup candied orange peel
> > > 1 cup candied citron
> > > 3 oranges, grated zest only
> > > 3 lemons, grated zest only
> > > 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
> > > 2 teaspoons cinnamon
> > > 1 teaspoon ground allspice
> > > 1 teaspoon mace
> > > 1/2 teaspoon ground doves.
> > > 1 cup molasses
> > > 2 cups brandy
> > > 1/2 cup orange liqueur (my addition)
> > > 4 cups all-purpose flour
> > > 1 tablespoon baking powder
> > > 1 teaspoon baking soda
> > > 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> > > 1 pound butter (4 sticks or 2 cups)
> > > 3 cups dark brown sugar
> > > 8 eggs
> > > 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> > >

> > This list of ingredients is absolutely, without a doubt, ridiculous.

> Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

=====

Good fruitcake (well, the light kind I like) doesn't need to have a ton of
ingredients IMO, but I imagine some folks have always made theirs a certain
way, so that's what they do, everything except eye of newt in some of those
old recipes. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:52:52 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
>>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
>>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
>>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
> do.

For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
citron, but for those that do, enjoy!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:01:36 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
>>>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
>>>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
>>>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

>> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
>> do.

>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!

I don't know what it is, except French for lemon, but I'm sure you can
leave it out without upsetting the apple cart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:01:36 -0800, "Cheri" >

>>> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
>>> do.

>>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!

> I don't know what it is, except French for lemon, but I'm sure you can
> leave it out without upsetting the apple cart.

Yes, if I left out about two thirds of the ingredients I would have the
fruitcake I enjoy.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:16:13 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:01:36 -0800, "Cheri" >

>>>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>>>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!

>> I don't know what it is, except French for lemon, but I'm sure you can
>> leave it out without upsetting the apple cart.

>Yes, if I left out about two thirds of the ingredients I would have the
>fruitcake I enjoy.

LOL

Not that I'll make Wayne's exact fruitcake, but I want to end up with
something dark that's soaking in booze.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:52:52 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Please elucidate. Too long a list? What is your specific criticism?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
>>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
>>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
>>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
> do.

For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
citron, but for those that do, enjoy!

Cheri
==

Same here. Neither of us likes citron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:01:36 -0800, "Cheri" >

>>> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
>>> do.

>>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!

> I don't know what it is, except French for lemon, but I'm sure you can
> leave it out without upsetting the apple cart.

Yes, if I left out about two thirds of the ingredients I would have the
fruitcake I enjoy.

Cheri

==

Me too, but you know what I am like with recipes anyway <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:34:13 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cheri" wrote in message news >
>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
>>>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
>>>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
>>>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

>> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
>> do.

>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!
>
>Cheri
>==
>
>Same here. Neither of us likes citron.

Oh, I know what it is: sukade. I always used to eat around that in
currant bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Cheri" wrote in message news >
>"Brice" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
>>>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
>>>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
>>>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

>> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
>> do.

>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!
>
>Cheri
>==
>
>Same here. Neither of us likes citron.

Oh, I know what it is: sukade. I always used to eat around that in
currant bread.

==

Yes! Candied peel)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 10:02:07 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "Brice" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:

> >>That looks like a kitchen sink fruitcake recipe. I've never heard of
> >>a-n-y-o-n-e putting so much stuff into fruitcake and then say bake it
> >>in two loaf pans. And it's going to be one of those dark, heavy,
> >>over spiced fruitcakes that everybody uses as a doorstop.

> > You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
> > do.

> For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
> citron, but for those that do, enjoy!
>
> Cheri

Citron is the fruit that nobody eats except in fruitcake. Over here it's called "Buddha's hand", and what a hand it is. I wish I had a hand like that.

https://storage.googleapis.com/smstl...1681139851.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2018 2:52 PM, Brice wrote:

> In Amsterdam houses were or are built on poles, so as to reach stable
> ground.

Many years ago, I was wandering around Amsterdam and saw what looked
like a _forest_ of poles sticking out of a very wet-looking building site.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:27:23 +1100, Brice >
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:16:13 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Brice" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:01:36 -0800, "Cheri" >

>>> I don't know what it is, except French for lemon, but I'm sure you can
>>> leave it out without upsetting the apple cart.

>>Yes, if I left out about two thirds of the ingredients I would have the
>>fruitcake I enjoy.

>LOL
>
>Not that I'll make Wayne's exact fruitcake, but I want to end up with
>something dark that's soaking in booze.

That's what I call fruit cake, dark and well soaked. However as I
have moved around sometimes one or two ingredients were not available
and it never seemed to do any harm overall to the flavour, so it is
flexible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:06:05 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Brice" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:34:13 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>>"Brice" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:46:07 -0800 (PST), "

>>> You can't say that without trying it first so you've got some work to
>>> do.

>>For me, the citron tells me everything I need to know, I don't care for
>>citron, but for those that do, enjoy!
>>
>>Cheri
>>==
>>
>>Same here. Neither of us likes citron.

>Oh, I know what it is: sukade. I always used to eat around that in
>currant bread.
>
>==
>
>Yes! Candied peel)>

Yes, one of my pet peeves as a child
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:27:26 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 11/13/2018 2:52 PM, Brice wrote:
>
>> In Amsterdam houses were or are built on poles, so as to reach stable
>> ground.
>>

>Many years ago, I was wandering around Amsterdam and saw what looked
>like a _forest_ of poles sticking out of a very wet-looking building site.

I guess they still do it then. And yes, it's to reach dry ground.