Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fruitcake confession

i love it and know some people who make ones
that are fantastic.

so there, i said it. hahaha...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:07:27 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> i love it and know some people who make ones
> that are fantastic.
>
> so there, i said it. hahaha...

Good for you! Stand up for your preferences.

I strongly prefer light fruitcake made with dried (not candied) fruit.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-11 12:07 p.m., songbird wrote:
> i love it and know some people who make ones
> that are fantastic.
>
> so there, i said it. hahaha...
>

> songbird

So do I! The only problem I have is that a good, rich fruitcake is so
calorific:-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 12:37:38 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-11-11 12:07 p.m., songbird wrote:
>> i love it and know some people who make ones
>> that are fantastic.
>>
>> so there, i said it. hahaha...
>>

>> songbird
>>

>So do I! The only problem I have is that a good, rich fruitcake is so
>calorific:-(

You can's see calories so they don't exist!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 9:07:27 AM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> i love it and know some people who make ones
> that are fantastic.
>
> so there, i said it. hahaha...
>

> songbird

I used to make fruitcake with my mom when I was a kid. It was the tradition in our family and the only activity that we had together. The first part was soaking the fruits in booze and then cutting and lining pans with brown paper bags and then making and baking the cakes at a later date. These are great and precious memories for me and so I'll have to recuse myself from the great fruitcake whinefest that always occurs during these holiday months..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2018 12:07 PM, songbird wrote:
> i love it and know some people who make ones
> that are fantastic.
>
> so there, i said it. hahaha...

So, yer gonna keep it to yersolf?

I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-11 2:07 PM, songbird wrote:
> i love it and know some people who make ones
> that are fantastic.
>
> so there, i said it. hahaha...

That should set off the annual Christmas fruitcake debate. I love it. My
mother used to make it and now I do it. Having tasted store bought
products, I can understand why some people thing they are a horrible joke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-11 1:48 p.m., notbob wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 12:07 PM, songbird wrote:
>> Â*Â* i love it and know some people who make ones
>> that are fantastic.
>>
>> Â*Â* so there, i said it.Â* hahaha...

> So, yer gonna keep it to yersolf?
>
> I LOVE fruitcake!Â* Any kind.Â* Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
> love 'em.Â* I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
>
> nb

A former neighbour used to put gummy bears/jelly babies in hers. Weird!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2018 4:06 PM, graham wrote:

> A former neighbour used to put gummy bears/jelly babies in hers. Weird!!

Gummy bears are jes another form fer gumdrops ....which I never liked.

Same with Jellybeans. Gumdrops with a crust! A brother from another
mother.... or something like that.

OTOH, what with all the new flavors JellyBelly has out, might make fer a
decent fruitcake. Can't be any worse than "day-glo" fruit.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 13:48:29 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 11/11/2018 12:07 PM, songbird wrote:
>> i love it and know some people who make ones
>> that are fantastic.
>>
>> so there, i said it. hahaha...

>So, yer gonna keep it to yersolf?
>
>I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
>love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
>
>nb

I had my first sample today - a friend makes wonderful fruitcakes, she
gives me one and I make catnip mice for her cat, good swap. She just
brought me a taster, miniature cup cakes she had made with leftover
mix, to die for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 16:46:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-11-11 2:07 PM, songbird wrote:
>> i love it and know some people who make ones
>> that are fantastic.
>>
>> so there, i said it. hahaha...
>>

>That should set off the annual Christmas fruitcake debate. I love it. My
>mother used to make it and now I do it. Having tasted store bought
>products, I can understand why some people thing they are a horrible joke.

I don't dare make them anymore, there's only me to eat them, too many
calories, so I do a swap with a friend who makes lovely ones. I
reckon people who dislike them have never had 'good' fruitcake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:48:37 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

> I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
> love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
>
> nb

I love fruitcake as well as long as it's a white fruitcake; not a fan of the
cakes that are laden with spices. Fruitcake cookies are delicious, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 14:07:03 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

> i love it and know some people who make ones
>that are fantastic.
>
> so there, i said it. hahaha...

I thought this was about your President admitting his real name is
'Drumpf'... but I guess he never will...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 16:00:29 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:48:37 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
>>
>> I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
>> love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
>>
>> nb
>>

>I love fruitcake as well as long as it's a white fruitcake; not a fan of the
>cakes that are laden with spices. Fruitcake cookies are delicious, too.

I like 'dark' fruitcake but they are not laden with spices here. Fruit
is well soaked in rum or brandy first and there are some spices but
not predominantly spicy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-11 7:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* There was a time I looked forward to holiday fruitcakes ... sadly ,
> it's been years since I've had any . The ones I remember were a dense
> and quite moist loaf loaded with candied fruit and nuts . Maybe it's not
> too late for me to make some ... gotta consult with the shopper half of
> this partnership !

It's not too late. This is just about the perfect time to make them,
souse them with some good booze and let them sit until Christmas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 07:47:50 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 14:07:03 -0500, songbird >
>wrote:
>
>> i love it and know some people who make ones
>>that are fantastic.
>>
>> so there, i said it. hahaha...

>I thought this was about your President admitting his real name is
>'Drumpf'... but I guess he never will...

Isn't that easy to prove, if it's true of course, with a bit of
genealogical research?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:58:25 -0400, wrote:

> I reckon people who dislike them have never had 'good' fruitcake.

<yawn>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:50:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> We have a number of friends and relatives who look forward to receiving
> a gift of my fruit cakes. I don't bother giving it to people who do not
> enjoy it.

There you go fooling yourself again. Put a little GPS tracker in
those cakes and see which landfills they end up in.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 16:46:40 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> I don't dare make them anymore, there's only me to eat them, too many
>>> calories, so I do a swap with a friend who makes lovely ones. I
>>> reckon people who dislike them have never had 'good' fruitcake.

>> Â* There was a time I looked forward to holiday fruitcakes ... sadly ,
>> it's been years since I've had any . The ones I remember were a dense
>> and quite moist loaf loaded with candied fruit and nuts . Maybe it's not
>> too late for me to make some ... gotta consult with the shopper half of
>> this partnership !

> Should be done now so they can 'develop' and feed for Xmas. Watch
> out, they are not cheap to make anymore - in fact on the luxury side.

Â* We're not what you'd call well off , but a few bucks here and there
is not a problem . We're frugal . We drive old cars (and Harleys) and I
maintain them . About the only thing I've paid someone else to do in the
last 35 years is automatic trans repairs . My wife indulges
(encourages?) my toolwhoredom because it saves us way more than the cost
of the tools .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 6:06:37 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2018-11-11 1:48 p.m., notbob wrote:
> > On 11/11/2018 12:07 PM, songbird wrote:
> >> Â*Â* i love it and know some people who make ones
> >> that are fantastic.
> >>
> >> Â*Â* so there, i said it.Â* hahaha...

> > So, yer gonna keep it to yersolf?
> >
> > I LOVE fruitcake!Â* Any kind.Â* Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
> > love 'em.Â* I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
> >
> > nb

> A former neighbour used to put gummy bears/jelly babies in hers. Weird!!

In taste and texture, they're pretty much identical to the traditional
candied fruit.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 7:00:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:48:37 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> >
> > I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
> > love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
> >
> > nb
> >

> I love fruitcake as well as long as it's a white fruitcake; not a fan of the
> cakes that are laden with spices. Fruitcake cookies are delicious, too.

For me it's not the spices but the molasses that makes dark fruitcake a
non-starter.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 03:11:33 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 7:00:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:48:37 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
>> >
>> > I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
>> > love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.
>> >
>> > nb
>> >

>> I love fruitcake as well as long as it's a white fruitcake; not a fan of the
>> cakes that are laden with spices. Fruitcake cookies are delicious, too.

>For me it's not the spices but the molasses that makes dark fruitcake a
>non-starter.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Never made a fruit cake that had molasses in it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 12:07 PM, songbird wrote:
>> i love it and know some people who make ones
>> that are fantastic.
>>
>> so there, i said it. hahaha...

> So, yer gonna keep it to yersolf?

i don't make them, at least not yet, but these
guys do:

https://poorrockabbey.com/product-category/fruitcakes/

p.s. i'm biased, i almost joined them many years ago
when they were just the two founders.

> I LOVE fruitcake! Any kind. Usta not like "day-glw" fruits, but now
> love 'em. I jes ask my local sprmkt to get some in, this holiday.

some people call them door stops. i like
'em.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> That should set off the annual Christmas fruitcake debate. I love it. My
> mother used to make it and now I do it. Having tasted store bought
> products, I can understand why some people thing they are a horrible joke.

i've sampled about 50 different kinds so far
and only a few didn't really appeal to me.

but then i admit i'm a carb junky so no big
surprise there.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

heyjoe wrote:
> As I remember from past posts, your fruit cakes aren't cheap, but I've
> got both time and money this year and haven't had good fruit cake for a
> long time.
>
> Would appreciate a tried and true recipe.

the think to figure out is what you like
and then do that.

i like about anything, so any dense cake
with nuts is usually great. soak it with
some good hooch and let it age and it's
like a pudding.

if you're not into dense cakes with nuts
or fruits then perhaps you are better off with
a light cake and topped with fresh whipped
cream and sprinkled with something or slathered
in something?

it's not a bad thing, just that different
people like different things. just gotta figure
out what you like and go with that.

and then there are people who will try new
things and others who pretty much know what
they like and stick with that... it's all good.

i'll adopt anyone's holiday fruitcake even
those mass produced ones. it may take me a
month to eat it. i'm ok with that too. haha.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 7:06:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 03:11:33 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I love fruitcake as well as long as it's a white fruitcake; not a fan of the
> >> cakes that are laden with spices. Fruitcake cookies are delicious, too.

> >For me it's not the spices but the molasses that makes dark fruitcake a
> >non-starter.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Never made a fruit cake that had molasses in it!

Very common in the U.S. Here's a typical recipe:

<http://www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com/Recipes/Recipe-Box/OLD-TIME-MOLASSES-FRUITCAKE>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 06:03:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 7:06:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 03:11:33 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >For me it's not the spices but the molasses that makes dark fruitcake a
>> >non-starter.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> Never made a fruit cake that had molasses in it!

>Very common in the U.S. Here's a typical recipe:
>
><http://www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com/Recipes/Recipe-Box/OLD-TIME-MOLASSES-FRUITCAKE>
>
>Cindy Hamilton

My main recipe was one my aunt in Australia introduced to the family
but no molasses, I think you're right, that's USian thing. I see that
recipe only has 1/2 cup and makes two loaves, so not much. Not that I
don't like molasses, just not in fruit cake!