Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On 2018-07-31 21:23:00 +0000, Wayne Boatwright said:

There are countless views on pimiento cheese perfection. It can be a
smooth and spreadable version sandwiched between two slices of white
bread. It can be chunky, spiked with hot sauce and cayenne pepper,
and stuffed into celery sticks. It can be made with extra mayonnaise
for a creamy cracker topper. The list goes on and on. We found that,
apart from the fundamental ingredients (cheese, pimientos, and mayo),
the best pimiento cheese is the one you grew up eating. However you
enjoy it, two things are essential: First, hand shred the cheese—some
finely, some coarsely—for the best texture (a food processor will get
the job done, but don’t cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second,
pick jarred pimientos that are diced, not sliced. This classic recipe
works as a dip, spread, or all by itself.

Serving Ideas: Serve on crackers, in sandwiches, stuffed in celery,
etc.
Internet Address: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/basic-
pimiento-cheese-recipe

1 jar diced pimiento (4-oz.) drained
1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (duke's or Heinz)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 block extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) finely shredded
1 block sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) shredded

Stir together pimiento, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, onion, and
cayenne in a large bowl.

Stir cheeses into pimiento mixture until well combined. Store covered
in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

--
Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers

Recepten - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage - https://www.sjeef.eu
RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

--
Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers

Pimento peppers, also known as pimiento or cherry peppers, water, salt and
citric acid. Though there may be "hot" varieties of these peppers, the
diced pimentos from a jar are mild, with no discernable "heat".

--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.

"When caught between two evils, I generally like to take the one I never
tried." - Mae West
Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Aug-2018, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sat 11 Aug 2018 04:37:01a, l not -l told us...

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

--
Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers

Pimento peppers, also known as pimiento or cherry peppers, water,
salt and citric acid. Though there may be "hot" varieties of
these peppers, the diced pimentos from a jar are mild, with no
discernable "heat".

I was going to reply, but you gave an even better description. :-)

Thanks for the kind words. I was just second-guessing myself as to whether
I gave a complete enough answer to help the OP. I saw the OP was from
Netherlands and began to wonder if, being unfamiliar with pimento, perhaps
they were unavailable there.

As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a suitable
substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon my wanderings
through the various (country identified) aisles of our international grocer,
many countries have "canned" roasted red (sweeet) peppers.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 4:40:39 AM UTC-5, Sjeef wrote:

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers

Pimento. Comes in a jar packed in liquid.

https://s22.postimg.cc/8lco7y3m9/Jarred_Pimentos.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimiento
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Aug 2018 09:39:16a, l not -l told us...

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

--
Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers
Pimento peppers, also known as pimiento or cherry peppers,
water, salt and citric acid. Though there may be "hot"
varieties of these peppers, the diced pimentos from a jar are
mild, with no discernable "heat".

I was going to reply, but you gave an even better description.
:-)

Thanks for the kind words. I was just second-guessing myself as
to whether I gave a complete enough answer to help the OP. I saw
the OP was from Netherlands and began to wonder if, being
unfamiliar with pimento, perhaps they were unavailable there.

I wouldn't worry about the OP. There are enough Google entries to
give the OP a very good definition.

As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a
suitable substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon
my wanderings through the various (country identified) aisles of
our international grocer, many countries have "canned" roasted red
(sweeet) peppers.

I have used roasted red peppers for other things but never tried it
in pimiento cheese. I have to admit that my pimiento cheese is
somewhat on the bland side, but that's the way I like it. I'm not
sue if I would like the roasted red peppers in the mix, but I didn't
want to give up a pound of cheese to something possibly
unpredictable. OTOH, it might be very good!

I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but, if for
some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.

As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in Poland)
stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have been a bit more
piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed into pimento cheese, it
probably wouldn't have been hugely different than pimento.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:26:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 11 Aug 2018 01:17:53p, l not -l told us...

I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but,
if for some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.

As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in
Poland) stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have
been a bit more piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed
into pimento cheese, it probably wouldn't have been hugely
different than pimento.

I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
cottage cheese

Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

[...]

It was a sort of Polish pickled Chiles relleno?

I have used jarred roasted red peppers in pimento cheese. It doesn't
make much difference. But I am not a connoisseur, super-taster, nor have
any allergies or intolerance.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sat 11 Aug 2018 01:17:53p, l not -l told us...

I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but,
if for some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.

As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in
Poland) stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have
been a bit more piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed
into pimento cheese, it probably wouldn't have been hugely
different than pimento.

I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
cottage cheese

Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?

HUSH YOOSE mouth heathen!

Yoose in the presence of a fine southern christian gentleman, with
breeding and class.

Suh, he is the finest gentleman that Mississippi has to offer.

Behave yoself.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
cottage cheese

Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?

HUSH YOOSE mouth heathen!

Yoose in the presence of a fine southern christian gentleman, with
breeding and class.

Suh, he is the finest gentleman that Mississippi has to offer.

Behave yoself.

But they could start the International Food Exclusion Party together.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 11:37:01 +0000, l not -l said:

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

--
Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers

Pimento peppers, also known as pimiento or cherry peppers, water, salt and
citric acid. Though there may be "hot" varieties of these peppers, the
diced pimentos from a jar are mild, with no discernable "heat".

Thanks for the explanation.

--
Regards,

Old 12-08-2018, 11:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

[...]

This is why I asked for more information:

https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html

Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.

--
Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

[...]

The majority of the peppers on that page, that I recognized, are "hot"
peppers and unsuitable, IMO, for pimento cheese. The only one of those that
I would consider trying if a substitute were needed is the Italian sweet
pepper. One more bit of information may help you find the correct pepper,
or a good substitute; the pimento pepper is a Spanish sweet pepper, the same
one that is dried and ground to make "sweet" paprika.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 11:33:04 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

On 12-Aug-2018, Sjeef wrote:

This is why I asked for more information:

https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html

Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.

--

The majority of the peppers on that page, that I recognized, are "hot"
peppers and unsuitable, IMO, for pimento cheese. The only one of those that
I would consider trying if a substitute were needed is the Italian sweet
pepper. One more bit of information may help you find the correct pepper,
or a good substitute; the pimento pepper is a Spanish sweet pepper, the same
one that is dried and ground to make "sweet" paprika.

I thought paprika powder was made of paprikas, which Americans call
bell peppers and Australians call capsicums. They're sweet (sort of)
if they're red and have no heat. Am I correct though?