FoodBanter.com

-   -   Southern Style Pimiento Cheese (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/444207-re-southern-style-pimiento.html)

Sjeef 11-08-2018 10:40 AM

Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On 2018-07-31 21:23:00 +0000, Wayne Boatwright said:

> There are countless views on pimiento cheese perfection. It can be a
> smooth and spreadable version sandwiched between two slices of white
> bread. It can be chunky, spiked with hot sauce and cayenne pepper,
> and stuffed into celery sticks. It can be made with extra mayonnaise
> for a creamy cracker topper. The list goes on and on. We found that,
> apart from the fundamental ingredients (cheese, pimientos, and mayo),
> the best pimiento cheese is the one you grew up eating. However you
> enjoy it, two things are essential: First, hand shred the cheese—some
> finely, some coarsely—for the best texture (a food processor will get
> the job done, but don’t cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second,
> pick jarred pimientos that are diced, not sliced. This classic recipe
> works as a dip, spread, or all by itself.
>
> Serving Ideas: Serve on crackers, in sandwiches, stuffed in celery,
> etc.
> Internet Address: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/basic-
> pimiento-cheese-recipe
>
> 1 jar diced pimiento (4-oz.) drained
> 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (duke's or Heinz)
> 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1 block extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) finely shredded
> 1 block sharp yellow Cheddar cheese (8-oz.) shredded
>
> Stir together pimiento, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, onion, and
> cayenne in a large bowl.
>
> Stir cheeses into pimiento mixture until well combined. Store covered
> in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
I'm not familiar with it.

--
Vriendelijke groeten,

Gerard Schaefers

Recepten - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage - https://www.sjeef.eu
RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

[email protected][_2_] 11-08-2018 06:16 PM

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 4:40:39 AM UTC-5, Sjeef wrote:

> What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
> I'm not familiar with it.
>
> Vriendelijke groeten,
>
> Gerard Schaefers

Pimento. Comes in a jar packed in liquid.

https://s22.postimg.cc/8lco7y3m9/Jarred_Pimentos.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimiento

Druce 11-08-2018 09:56 PM

Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:26:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 11 Aug 2018 01:17:53p, l not -l told us...
>>
>> I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but,
>> if for some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.
>>
>> As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in
>> Poland) stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have
>> been a bit more piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed
>> into pimento cheese, it probably wouldn't have been hugely
>> different than pimento.
>>

>I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
>cottage cheese

Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?

Hank Rogers[_2_] 11-08-2018 10:50 PM

l not -l wrote:
> On 11-Aug-2018, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 11 Aug 2018 09:39:16a, l not -l told us...

>>> Thanks for the kind words. I was just second-guessing myself as
>>> to whether I gave a complete enough answer to help the OP. I saw
>>> the OP was from Netherlands and began to wonder if, being
>>> unfamiliar with pimento, perhaps they were unavailable there.

>> I wouldn't worry about the OP. There are enough Google entries to
>> give the OP a very good definition.
>>
>>> As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a
>>> suitable substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon
>>> my wanderings through the various (country identified) aisles of
>>> our international grocer, many countries have "canned" roasted red
>>> (sweeet) peppers.
>>>

>> I have used roasted red peppers for other things but never tried it
>> in pimiento cheese. I have to admit that my pimiento cheese is
>> somewhat on the bland side, but that's the way I like it. I'm not
>> sue if I would like the roasted red peppers in the mix, but I didn't
>> want to give up a pound of cheese to something possibly
>> unpredictable. OTOH, it might be very good!

> I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but, if for
> some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.
>
> As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in Poland)
> stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have been a bit more
> piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed into pimento cheese, it
> probably wouldn't have been hugely different than pimento.

It was a sort of Polish pickled Chiles relleno?

I have used jarred roasted red peppers in pimento cheese. It doesn't
make much difference. But I am not a connoisseur, super-taster, nor have
any allergies or intolerance.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 12-08-2018 12:31 AM

Druce wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:26:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 11 Aug 2018 01:17:53p, l not -l told us...
>>>
>>> I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but,
>>> if for some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.
>>>
>>> As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in
>>> Poland) stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have
>>> been a bit more piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed
>>> into pimento cheese, it probably wouldn't have been hugely
>>> different than pimento.
>>>

>> I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
>> cottage cheese

> Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?

HUSH YOOSE mouth heathen!

Yoose in the presence of a fine southern christian gentleman, with
breeding and class.

Suh, he is the finest gentleman that Mississippi has to offer.

Behave yoself.

Druce 12-08-2018 12:48 AM

Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 18:31:57 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Druce wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:26:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
>>> cottage cheese

>> Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?
>>

>HUSH YOOSE mouth heathen!
>
>Yoose in the presence of a fine southern christian gentleman, with
>breeding and class.
>
>Suh, he is the finest gentleman that Mississippi has to offer.
>
>Behave yoself.

But they could start the International Food Exclusion Party together.

Ophelia[_16_] 12-08-2018 10:07 AM

"Druce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:26:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 11 Aug 2018 01:17:53p, l not -l told us...
>>
>> I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but,
>> if for some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.
>>
>> As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in
>> Poland) stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have
>> been a bit more piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed
>> into pimento cheese, it probably wouldn't have been hugely
>> different than pimento.
>>

>I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
>cottage cheese

Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?

==

Watchit buster!

Sjeef 12-08-2018 11:21 AM

On 2018-08-11 11:37:01 +0000, l not -l said:

> On 11-Aug-2018, Sjeef > wrote:
>
>> What are the ingredients in diced pimiento, drained?
>> I'm not familiar with it.
>>
>> --
>> Vriendelijke groeten,
>>
>> Gerard Schaefers

> Pimento peppers, also known as pimiento or cherry peppers, water, salt and
> citric acid. Though there may be "hot" varieties of these peppers, the
> diced pimentos from a jar are mild, with no discernable "heat".

Thanks for the explanation.

--
Regards,

Sjeef 12-08-2018 11:29 AM

On 2018-08-11 17:00:36 +0000, Wayne Boatwright said:

> On Sat 11 Aug 2018 09:39:16a, l not -l told us...
>

>> On 11-Aug-2018, Wayne Boatwright >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat 11 Aug 2018 04:37:01a, l not -l told us...

>>> I was going to reply, but you gave an even better description.
>>> :-)

>> Thanks for the kind words. I was just second-guessing myself as
>> to whether I gave a complete enough answer to help the OP. I saw
>> the OP was from Netherlands and began to wonder if, being
>> unfamiliar with pimento, perhaps they were unavailable there.

> I wouldn't worry about the OP. There are enough Google entries to
> give the OP a very good definition.
>
>> As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a
>> suitable substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon
>> my wanderings through the various (country identified) aisles of
>> our international grocer, many countries have "canned" roasted red
>> (sweeet) peppers.
>>

> I have used roasted red peppers for other things but never tried it
> in pimiento cheese. I have to admit that my pimiento cheese is
> somewhat on the bland side, but that's the way I like it. I'm not
> sue if I would like the roasted red peppers in the mix, but I didn't
> want to give up a pound of cheese to something possibly
> unpredictable. OTOH, it might be very good!

This is why I asked for more information:

https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html

Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.

--
Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

Druce 12-08-2018 12:31 PM

Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 10:07:02 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Druce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:26:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat 11 Aug 2018 01:17:53p, l not -l told us...
>>>
>>> I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but,
>>> if for some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.
>>>
>>> As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in
>>> Poland) stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have
>>> been a bit more piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed
>>> into pimento cheese, it probably wouldn't have been hugely
>>> different than pimento.
>>>

>>I might have liked the pickled pepper but I'm not overly fond of
>>cottage cheese

>Wait a minute! Are you Ophelia in drag?
>
>==
>
>Watchit buster!

lol

Druce 12-08-2018 12:57 PM

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 11:33:04 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 12-Aug-2018, Sjeef > wrote:
>
>> This is why I asked for more information:
>>
>> https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html
>>
>> Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.
>>
>> --

>The majority of the peppers on that page, that I recognized, are "hot"
>peppers and unsuitable, IMO, for pimento cheese. The only one of those that
>I would consider trying if a substitute were needed is the Italian sweet
>pepper. One more bit of information may help you find the correct pepper,
>or a good substitute; the pimento pepper is a Spanish sweet pepper, the same
>one that is dried and ground to make "sweet" paprika.

I thought paprika powder was made of paprikas, which Americans call
bell peppers and Australians call capsicums. They're sweet (sort of)
if they're red and have no heat. Am I correct though?

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 12-08-2018 01:11 PM

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:57:46 AM UTC-4, Druce wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 11:33:04 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

> >On 12-Aug-2018, Sjeef > wrote:
> >
> >> This is why I asked for more information:
> >>
> >> https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html
> >>
> >> Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.
> >>
> >> --

> >The majority of the peppers on that page, that I recognized, are "hot"
> >peppers and unsuitable, IMO, for pimento cheese. The only one of those that
> >I would consider trying if a substitute were needed is the Italian sweet
> >pepper. One more bit of information may help you find the correct pepper,
> >or a good substitute; the pimento pepper is a Spanish sweet pepper, the same
> >one that is dried and ground to make "sweet" paprika.

> I thought paprika powder was made of paprikas, which Americans call
> bell peppers and Australians call capsicums. They're sweet (sort of)
> if they're red and have no heat. Am I correct though?

There's also hot paprika.

Cindy Hamilton

Sjeef 12-08-2018 08:37 PM

On 2018-08-12 13:54:20 +0000, Wayne Boatwright said:

> On Sun 12 Aug 2018 03:29:35a, Sjeef told us...
>>
>> This is why I asked for more information:
>>
>> https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html
>>
>> Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.
>>

> I'm sorry, but I really ca't recognize any of these peppers as
> anything like a pimiento. What I would suggest is looking in your
> supermarket or market place for any fresh red pepper that has a
> "sweet" taste rather than hot or spicy tasting. To prepare a fresh
> pepper I would suggest cutting into sections, removing the ribs and
> seeds, then cutting into 1/4" dice or squares.
>
> Once prepared, steam the diced pepper until very tender. Then store
> in enough lightly salted water to cover, perhaps adding a teaspoon or
> two of white vinegar. Store in the refrigerator for a couple of days
> to absorb the flavor, then drain well to use in the pimiento cheeese.
>
> I'm afraid that's as close as I can come to replicating what appears
> to be unavaiable in your stores.
>
> I'd be interested in knowing how that comes out. Best of luck.

That is is very good information, Wayne.
Many thanks.
At the moment I'm very busy with domestic things, but I will try your
original recepe with the additional info.
BTW, only collected all the diference kind of peppers in the page on my site.
And of course that has nothing to do with your recipe.

And the word piment or pimento has so many different meaning in Spain
or in the Netherlands.
From sweet to very hot.

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-08-2018 10:33 PM

On 2018-08-12 4:22 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 16:39:16 GMT, l not -l wrote:
>
>> As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a suitable
>> substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon my wanderings
>> through the various (country identified) aisles of our international grocer,
>> many countries have "canned" roasted red (sweeet) peppers.

> I've used roasted, peeled, sliced red pepers that came in a jar a couple
> of times, when I didn't have pimentoes on hand and didn't feel like
> making a special trip to the grocery store. Had to take an extra step
> to dice the pepers, but they were a good substitute and I'll do it again
> in a pinch - just won't call it "pimento cheese".

I have bought them a couple times and they are delicious. I just don't
think to use them enough. The small jars are a little pricey. There are
sometimes great deals on the large jars, but then I forget to use them
and they go bad.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 12-08-2018 11:45 PM

heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 16:39:16 GMT, l not -l wrote:
>
>> As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a suitable
>> substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon my wanderings
>> through the various (country identified) aisles of our international grocer,
>> many countries have "canned" roasted red (sweeet) peppers.

> I've used roasted, peeled, sliced red pepers that came in a jar a couple
> of times, when I didn't have pimentoes on hand and didn't feel like
> making a special trip to the grocery store. Had to take an extra step
> to dice the pepers, but they were a good substitute and I'll do it again
> in a pinch - just won't call it "pimento cheese".
>
> A few additions I make are to add some Lea & Perrins worchestershire
> sauce, a pinch of sugar, salt & pepper and a bit of malt vinegar. Let's
> me cut down on the Duke's Mayonnaise.

I wonder if anyone has tried using a roasted anaheim pepper instead of
pimento or roasted red pepper? I always like their taste.

[email protected] 13-08-2018 12:35 AM

12 Aug 2018 Hank Rogers wrote:
>heyjoe wrote:
>>11 Aug 2018, l not -l wrote:
>>
>>> As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a suitable
>>> substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon my wanderings
>>> through the various (country identified) aisles of our international grocer,
>>> many countries have "canned" roasted red (sweeet) peppers.

>> I've used roasted, peeled, sliced red pepers that came in a jar a couple
>> of times, when I didn't have pimentoes on hand and didn't feel like
>> making a special trip to the grocery store. Had to take an extra step
>> to dice the pepers, but they were a good substitute and I'll do it again
>> in a pinch - just won't call it "pimento cheese".
>>
>> A few additions I make are to add some Lea & Perrins worchestershire
>> sauce, a pinch of sugar, salt & pepper and a bit of malt vinegar. Let's
>> me cut down on the Duke's Mayonnaise.

>I wonder if anyone has tried using a roasted anaheim pepper instead of
>pimento or roasted red pepper? I always like their taste.

There exist several varieties of pimiento, from mild to hot. If what
you want is a very mild version ripe (red) bell pepper will suffice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimiento

[email protected][_2_] 13-08-2018 01:19 AM

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has tried using a roasted anaheim pepper instead of
> pimento or roasted red pepper? I always like their taste.

You can add, substitute, or delete anything you want but it will not be
Southern style pimento cheese.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 13-08-2018 11:12 AM

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:19:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has tried using a roasted anaheim pepper instead of
> > pimento or roasted red pepper? I always like their taste.
> >

> You can add, substitute, or delete anything you want but it will not be
> Southern style pimento cheese.

Fair enough. It might be better.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected][_2_] 13-08-2018 05:14 PM

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 5:12:04 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:19:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > You can add, substitute, or delete anything you want but it will not be
> > Southern style pimento cheese.

> Fair enough. It might be better.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've had some really good, traditional, homemade pimento cheese and I've
equally had some really awful, traditional, homemade pimento cheese. I
don't know what they did to make it awful, I was afraid to ask. Quite a
simple recipe but some people certainly can screw it up.

cshenk 14-08-2018 01:56 AM

Druce wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 11:33:04 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

> >On 12-Aug-2018, Sjeef > wrote:
> >
> >> This is why I asked for more information:
> > >
> >> https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html
> > >
> >> Sorry that the page is mostly in Dutch.
> > >
> >> --

> > The majority of the peppers on that page, that I recognized, are
> > "hot" peppers and unsuitable, IMO, for pimento cheese. The only
> > one of those that I would consider trying if a substitute were
> > needed is the Italian sweet pepper. One more bit of information
> > may help you find the correct pepper, or a good substitute; the
> > pimento pepper is a Spanish sweet pepper, the same one that is
> > dried and ground to make "sweet" paprika.

> I thought paprika powder was made of paprikas, which Americans call
> bell peppers and Australians call capsicums. They're sweet (sort of)
> if they're red and have no heat. Am I correct though?

No, Paprika comes in many stages of hot, none of which are as mild as
our Bell Peppers.

[email protected] 14-08-2018 02:23 AM

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:56:09 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Druce wrote:

>> > The majority of the peppers on that page, that I recognized, are
>> > "hot" peppers and unsuitable, IMO, for pimento cheese. The only
>> > one of those that I would consider trying if a substitute were
>> > needed is the Italian sweet pepper. One more bit of information
>> > may help you find the correct pepper, or a good substitute; the
>> > pimento pepper is a Spanish sweet pepper, the same one that is
>> > dried and ground to make "sweet" paprika.

>> I thought paprika powder was made of paprikas, which Americans call
>> bell peppers and Australians call capsicums. They're sweet (sort of)
>> if they're red and have no heat. Am I correct though?

>No, Paprika comes in many stages of hot, none of which are as mild as
>our Bell Peppers.

Wrong! Some paprikas are as mild as ripe bell pepper... sweet paprika
is used for color, not flavor. I sprinkle mild paprika on tuna and
potato salads all the time as a garnish. to add color to roast chicken
too. There are actually hundreds of different paprikas. Some
paprikas are used for their aroma... many paprikas are a blend of
sweet and hot peppers
https://www.penzeys.com/search/#?q=paprika
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

Hank Rogers[_2_] 14-08-2018 03:30 AM

wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:56:09 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Druce wrote:

https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/Info/pepers.html

>>> I thought paprika powder was made of paprikas, which Americans call
>>> bell peppers and Australians call capsicums. They're sweet (sort of)
>>> if they're red and have no heat. Am I correct though?

>> No, Paprika comes in many stages of hot, none of which are as mild as
>> our Bell Peppers.

> Wrong! Some paprikas are as mild as ripe bell pepper... sweet paprika
> is used for color, not flavor. I sprinkle mild paprika on tuna and
> potato salads all the time as a garnish. to add color to roast chicken
> too. There are actually hundreds of different paprikas. Some
> paprikas are used for their aroma... many paprikas are a blend of
> sweet and hot peppers
> https://www.penzeys.com/search/#?q=paprika
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

Popeye, I bet yoose invented all dem paprikas, right? Yoose sailed the
whole world and brought back all dem seeds 'n stuff.

Twas just a small diversion between yoose screwing every female
inhabitant of the earth.

I bet yoose was a tired little sailor in dem days, huh Popeye?

Druce 16-08-2018 03:38 AM

Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 02:11:54 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 12 Aug 2018 03:29:44p, heyjoe told us...
>
>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 17:33:37 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> There are
>>> sometimes great deals on the large jars, but then I forget to use
>>> them and they go bad.

>> Just looked at the open jar of red peppers in the refrigerator.
>>
>> You nailed it!
>> They've been there too long and have gone bad. I hate it when
>> that happens.
>>

>Jars of pimientos or roasted peppers are most often packed in lightly
>salted water. Since there is usually no vinegar, they are not
>pickled nor very well preserved. A large jar of either is fine if
>you have a use for them fairly soon. A small jar is actually more
>economical if you can't use more at a time.

Let me see if I got this: If I don't want to eat many peppers, I
should buy less of them. I'll have to remember that.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 16-08-2018 03:46 AM

Druce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 02:11:54 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> Just looked at the open jar of red peppers in the refrigerator.
>>>
>>> You nailed it!
>>> They've been there too long and have gone bad. I hate it when
>>> that happens.
>>>

>> Jars of pimientos or roasted peppers are most often packed in lightly
>> salted water. Since there is usually no vinegar, they are not
>> pickled nor very well preserved. A large jar of either is fine if
>> you have a use for them fairly soon. A small jar is actually more
>> economical if you can't use more at a time.

> Let me see if I got this: If I don't want to eat many peppers, I
> should buy less of them. I'll have to remember that.

Or, you could do what julie does; buy tons of the stuff, then ask people
what to do with them.

Or, you could do what Popeye does, and just throw them out yoose window :)