Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Woolworth on 5th Avenue

Last night my neighbor and I went downtown to a restaurant that has
been open for about 6 months. It's in the old Woolworth's location
and it had the old, very long lunch counter as well. Lots of tables
and booths, though.

We had crispy fried chicken skins as an appetizer. Meh.

Both of us ordered their "dime store burger" which was a 6 ounce bear
creek beef hamburger. Very, very good and it came with excellent shoe
string fries. She ordered a watermelon cucumber salad instead of fries.

We went upstairs to the bar area which was the old mezzanine when the
store was open for business. Lots of pictures from the 60's when there
was a sit-in at this location in an effort to desegregate. Quite interesting.

http://woolworthonfifth.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 4:40 PM, wrote:

> Last night my neighbor and I went downtown to a restaurant that has
> been open for about 6 months. It's in the old Woolworth's location
> and it had the old, very long lunch counter as well. Lots of tables
> and booths, though.
>
> We had crispy fried chicken skins as an appetizer. Meh.
>
> Both of us ordered their "dime store burger" which was a 6 ounce bear
> creek beef hamburger. Very, very good and it came with excellent shoe
> string fries. She ordered a watermelon cucumber salad instead of fries.
>
> We went upstairs to the bar area which was the old mezzanine when the
> store was open for business. Lots of pictures from the 60's when there
> was a sit-in at this location in an effort to desegregate. Quite interesting.

http://woolworthonfifth.com/

How fun!

In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
time ago.

When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

Thanks for the memories, Joan!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
> store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
> Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
> but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
> time ago.
>
> When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
> cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
> shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.
>
> https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg
>
> Thanks for the memories, Joan!
>
> Jill

Hey, I like that necklace! Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
>> store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
>> Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
>> but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
>> time ago.
>>
>> When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
>> cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
>> shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>> Thanks for the memories, Joan!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Hey, I like that necklace!

Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.

> Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
> plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.

Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
counter in a department store.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:40:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Last night my neighbor and I went downtown to a restaurant that has
> been open for about 6 months. It's in the old Woolworth's location
> and it had the old, very long lunch counter as well. Lots of tables
> and booths, though.
>
> We had crispy fried chicken skins as an appetizer. Meh.
>
> Both of us ordered their "dime store burger" which was a 6 ounce bear
> creek beef hamburger. Very, very good and it came with excellent shoe
> string fries. She ordered a watermelon cucumber salad instead of fries.
>
> We went upstairs to the bar area which was the old mezzanine when the
> store was open for business. Lots of pictures from the 60's when there
> was a sit-in at this location in an effort to desegregate. Quite interesting.
>
> http://woolworthonfifth.com/

awwww. I remember that Woolworth's when I lived in Nashville in the 70's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
>> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
>>> store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
>>> Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
>>> but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
>>> time ago.
>>>
>>> When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
>>> cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
>>> shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Thanks for the memories, Joan!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Hey, I like that necklace!

> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.
>
>> Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
>> plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
>>

> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
> anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
> counter in a department store.
>
> Jill

Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
"Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:32:39 PM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:

> > http://woolworthonfifth.com/

> awwww. I remember that Woolworth's when I lived in Nashville in the 70's.

Down a few doors was the Kress store and has now been turned into condos.
I was reading the listing for it and saw the HOA fee and agreement. What
I found amusing was the fee covered grounds keeping which their 'grounds'
is the sidewalk out front, no greenspace at all. Too funny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Hey, I like that necklace!

>> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.
>>
>>> *Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
>>> plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
>>>

>> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
>> anything.* The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
>> counter in a department store.
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
> "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>
> Cheri

I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
"Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
>> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
>>> store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
>>> Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
>>> but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
>>> time ago.
>>>
>>> When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
>>> cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
>>> shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Thanks for the memories, Joan!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Hey, I like that necklace!

> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.
>
>> Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
>> plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
>>

> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
> anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
> counter in a department store.
>
> Jill

Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
"Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL

Cheri
==

I remember all that here too, back in the day They all closed down here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:42:15 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Hey, I like that necklace!

>> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.
>>
>>> Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
>>> plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
>>>

>> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
>> anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
>> counter in a department store.
>>
>> Jill

>Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
>"Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>
>Cheri

I loved the look of that bottle. In third grade that was the height
of sophistication

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 9:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever
>> forget "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"!

AKA Evening in the Sewer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

> >> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.

> >> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
> >> anything.* The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
> >> counter in a department store.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
> > "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
> >
> > Cheri

> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

I bought Woolworth's "Evening in Paris" for my mother's Christmas
present when I was about 10 or 11. A sophisticated step forward from the
Woolworth's packets of six floral scented bath cubes I'd given her in
previous years.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
>>> "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
>> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

> I bought Woolworth's "Evening in Paris" for my mother's Christmas
> present when I was about 10 or 11. A sophisticated step forward from the
> Woolworth's packets of six floral scented bath cubes I'd given her in
> previous years.
>
> Janet UK

When I was 3 or 4 years old, I bought my mother a box with what I
thought was a fancy soap and talc for xmas. When she died at 93 it was
still in her things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
>>> "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
>> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

> I bought Woolworth's "Evening in Paris" for my mother's Christmas
> present when I was about 10 or 11. A sophisticated step forward from the
> Woolworth's packets of six floral scented bath cubes I'd given her in
> previous years.
>
> Janet UK

Fun memories! An old and long gone store. I once bought my mother a
Christmas gift of a locket with some sort of solid (waxy) perfume in it.
I suppose it was so she could rub some on her pulse points while she
was out. As a teenager I thought it was a nice gift. Then again, I
didn't have much money to spend.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> I bought Woolworth's "Evening in Paris" for my mother's
>>> Christmas
>>> present when I was about 10 or 11. A sophisticated step forward
>>> from the Woolworth's packets of six floral scented bath cubes
>>> I'd given her in previous years.
>>>
>>> Janet UK
>>>

>> When I was 3 or 4 years old, I bought my mother a box with what I
>> thought was a fancy soap and talc for xmas. When she died at 93 it
>> was still in her things.
>>

> It must have had strong memories for her and that you gave it to her.
>
> I have two apothcary jars filled with various hard-milled imported
> soaps. I don't use them, just look at them and occasionally open the
> jars and smell them. Odd, huh? :-)

Not really. Memories are strongly associated with scents.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message news:RGFbD.22051

> Not really. Memories are strongly associated with scents.
>
> Jill

Yep, scents and music.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Hey, I like that necklace!

>> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.
>>
>>> Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
>>> plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
>>>

>> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
>> anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
>> counter in a department store.
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
> "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL

I hated when they closed too but it was fortunate for me that I was able to
take advantage of sales in three of them. Got tons of stuff including a set
of casseroles, men's T Shirts, bedding, yarn, gift wrap, and one year I did
almost all of my Christmas shopping at a closing store. Things were 80% off.
Spent perhaps $5 per person and made out like a bandit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.

>>> Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
>>> anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
>>> counter in a department store.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
>> "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

I don't think I ever bought perfume there. My friend's mom was somehow
connected to Coty and was able to get their perfumes for free so she kept me
well stocked for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-08-11 9:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
>>> "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"!

> AKA Evening in the Sewer.

I remember buying some in Canada as a child. My dad said I smelled like a
French whore. I replied that I didn't want to know how he knew that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

15.223...

wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> I bought Woolworth's "Evening in Paris" for my mother's
>>> Christmas
>>> present when I was about 10 or 11. A sophisticated step forward
>>> from the Woolworth's packets of six floral scented bath cubes
>>> I'd given her in previous years.
>>>
>>> Janet UK
>>>

>> When I was 3 or 4 years old, I bought my mother a box with what I
>> thought was a fancy soap and talc for xmas. When she died at 93 it
>> was still in her things.
>>

> It must have had strong memories for her and that you gave it to her.
>
> I have two apothcary jars filled with various hard-milled imported
> soaps. I don't use them, just look at them and occasionally open the
> jars and smell them. Odd, huh? :-)

I use them for sachets. I put them in dresser drawers, closets and in packed
away clothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
15.223...
> On Fri 10 Aug 2018 02:22:39p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 8/10/2018 4:40 PM, wrote:
>>>
>>> Last night my neighbor and I went downtown to a restaurant that
>>> has been open for about 6 months. It's in the old Woolworth's
>>> location and it had the old, very long lunch counter as well.
>>> Lots of tables and booths, though.
>>>
>>> We had crispy fried chicken skins as an appetizer. Meh.
>>>
>>> Both of us ordered their "dime store burger" which was a 6 ounce
>>> bear creek beef hamburger. Very, very good and it came with
>>> excellent shoe string fries. She ordered a watermelon cucumber
>>> salad instead of fries.
>>>
>>> We went upstairs to the bar area which was the old mezzanine when
>>> the store was open for business. Lots of pictures from the 60's
>>> when there was a sit-in at this location in an effort to
>>> desegregate. Quite interesting.

http://woolworthonfifth.com/

>> How fun!
>>
>> In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small
>> Woolworth's store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had
>> fish & chips on Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a
>> couple of times, too, but seems to me there were crinkle cut
>> fries. I dunno, I was a long time ago.
>>
>> When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items
>> like cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with
>> sliced sea shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.
>>
>> https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg
>>
>> Thanks for the memories, Joan!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I used to enjoy going to Woolworths and Kresges. The lunch counters
> usually had really decent food. The Woolworths always had hot roast
> beef sandwiches with real mashed potatoes. Very tasty. Of course
> theyhad the usual burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, BLTs, etc. I
> used to like buying tropical fish in the pet department.

We mostly ate at a dime store near our house called Grants. I always got the
stuffed tomato. Might be stuffed with chicken salad, tuna salad or cottage
cheese. The cook named Jo, always told me that wasn't enough food for a
growing girl so she fried a roll for me. They were the hot dog type buns
used for lobster rolls. No clue where they got them from as I've never seen
them for sale anywhere here or at any other eatery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever
>>> forget "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
>> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

> I don't think I ever bought perfume there. My friend's mom was somehow
> connected to Coty and was able to get their perfumes for free so she
> kept me well stocked for years.

Are you sure? I thought that coty stuff was an old time women's douche.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 8:00 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"!* I think I bought a bottle of
>>> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

>> I don't think I ever bought perfume there. My friend's mom was somehow
>> connected to Coty and was able to get their perfumes for free so she
>> kept me well stocked for years.

> Are you sure? I thought that coty stuff was an old time women's douche.

Summer Eve is the douche. Guy I worked with, Pete, was at a bar with a
not real bright friend. The friend wanted to impress the barmaid so he
asked Pete what he should order. So, Pete told him to ask for a Summer
Eve. The barmaid lost it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove wrote:

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

>>> I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
>>> "Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

>> I don't think I ever bought perfume there. My friend's mom was somehow
>> connected to Coty and was able to get their perfumes for free so she
>> kept me well stocked for years.

> Are you sure? I thought that coty stuff was an old time women's douche.

What?

https://www.coty.com/

They make all sorts of stuff. In those days I usually wore Wild Musk or
Emeraude.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One thing I forgot to mention was their souvenirs. They had the usual
cups, baseball type caps, keyrings, bottled sauces, etc. One thing I
saw that was rather a surprise were Ronson lighters with the Woolworth
logo.

Smoke-free restaurant and all the surrounding restaurants and venues
are all smoke-free but they offered lighters. I guess they figured
they would be a hit with the cigar and pipe smokers. Nice lighter,
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Cheri >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message news:RGFbD.22051
>
> > Not really. Memories are strongly associated with scents.
> >
> > Jill

> Yep, scents and music.

I associate "Desert Flower" perfume and the songs "Telstar" and
"Sukiyaki" with my first real girlfriend. I associate the smell of wet
cow pies with my earliest hunting experiences. You're right!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:19:51 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Cheri >
>wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message news:RGFbD.22051
>>
>> > Not really. Memories are strongly associated with scents.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Yep, scents and music.

>I associate "Desert Flower" perfume and the songs "Telstar" and
>"Sukiyaki" with my first real girlfriend. I associate the smell of wet
>cow pies with my earliest hunting experiences.

Would be funnier if it was the other way around.