Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Woolworth on 5th Avenue

Last night my neighbor and I went downtown to a restaurant that has
been open for about 6 months. It's in the old Woolworth's location
and it had the old, very long lunch counter as well. Lots of tables
and booths, though.

We had crispy fried chicken skins as an appetizer. Meh.

Both of us ordered their "dime store burger" which was a 6 ounce bear
creek beef hamburger. Very, very good and it came with excellent shoe
string fries. She ordered a watermelon cucumber salad instead of fries.

We went upstairs to the bar area which was the old mezzanine when the
store was open for business. Lots of pictures from the 60's when there
was a sit-in at this location in an effort to desegregate. Quite interesting.

http://woolworthonfifth.com/

Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 4:40 PM, wrote:

Last night my neighbor and I went downtown to a restaurant that has
been open for about 6 months. It's in the old Woolworth's location
and it had the old, very long lunch counter as well. Lots of tables
and booths, though.

We had crispy fried chicken skins as an appetizer. Meh.

Both of us ordered their "dime store burger" which was a 6 ounce bear
creek beef hamburger. Very, very good and it came with excellent shoe
string fries. She ordered a watermelon cucumber salad instead of fries.

We went upstairs to the bar area which was the old mezzanine when the
store was open for business. Lots of pictures from the 60's when there
was a sit-in at this location in an effort to desegregate. Quite interesting.

http://woolworthonfifth.com/

How fun!

In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
time ago.

When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

Thanks for the memories, Joan!

Jill
Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
time ago.

When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

Thanks for the memories, Joan!

Jill

Hey, I like that necklace! Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

In the late 1970's I used to take my lunch break at a small Woolworth's
store in a shopping mall in Memphis. IIRC they had fish & chips on
Friday. I think I got a burger and fries there a couple of times, too,
but seems to me there were crinkle cut fries. I dunno, I was a long
time ago.

When I finished eating I'd peruse the store for fun little items like
cheap costume jewelry. I still have a macrame neckace with sliced sea
shell dangles that I picked up for 50 cents.

https://s22.postimg.cc/z1aiqsb01/shells.jpg

Thanks for the memories, Joan!

Jill

Hey, I like that necklace!

Same here, which is why I kept it all these years.

Yeah, I miss the 5 and dime stores and the
plate lunches Woolworth served were great, at least to me they were.

Woolworth's was a fun place to shop and didn't cost a fortune to buy
anything. The food was pretty good, too, considering it was a lunch
counter in a department store.

Jill
Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

awwww. I remember that Woolworth's when I lived in Nashville in the 70's.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever forget
"Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL

Cheri

Old 11-08-2018, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:32:39 PM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:

http://woolworthonfifth.com/

awwww. I remember that Woolworth's when I lived in Nashville in the 70's.

Down a few doors was the Kress store and has now been turned into condos.
I was reading the listing for it and saw the HOA fee and agreement. What
I found amusing was the fee covered grounds keeping which their 'grounds'
is the sidewalk out front, no greenspace at all. Too funny.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"! I think I bought a bottle of
"Tabu" at Woolworth's once upon a time...

Jill
Old 11-08-2018, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

==

I remember all that here too, back in the day They all closed down here

Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:42:15 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

I loved the look of that bottle. In third grade that was the height
of sophistication

Old 11-08-2018, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 9:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:

Yes, I hated it when the Woolworth's here closed. Who could ever
forget "Evening in Paris" perfume, not that I bought it. LOL

Cheri

I'd forgotten about "Evening in Paris"!

AKA Evening in the Sewer.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I bought Woolworth's "Evening in Paris" for my mother's Christmas
present when I was about 10 or 11. A sophisticated step forward from the
Woolworth's packets of six floral scented bath cubes I'd given her in
previous years.

Janet UK

Old 11-08-2018, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 9:53 AM, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM,
wrote:
[...]

When I was 3 or 4 years old, I bought my mother a box with what I
thought was a fancy soap and talc for xmas. When she died at 93 it was
still in her things.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 11:53 AM, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/10/2018 5:35 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Fun memories! An old and long gone store. I once bought my mother a
Christmas gift of a locket with some sort of solid (waxy) perfume in it.
I suppose it was so she could rub some on her pulse points while she
was out. As a teenager I thought it was a nice gift. Then again, I
didn't have much money to spend.

Jill
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Aug 2018 09:57:36a, graham told us...

On 2018-08-11 9:53 AM, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 8/10/2018 7:42 PM, Cheri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

It must have had strong memories for her and that you gave it to her.

I have two apothcary jars filled with various hard-milled imported
soaps. I don't use them, just look at them and occasionally open the
jars and smell them. Odd, huh? :-)

Not really. Memories are strongly associated with scents.

Jill