Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Second Avenue Deli News

Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.

Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
negotiations with "third" party.

http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue said...

> Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
>
> Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
> negotiations with "third" party.
>
> http://www.nysun.com/article/46093
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Sue,

I almost made it to the 2nd Avenue deli last year but ended up at John's
Pizzeria on Bleecker St for a "less-than-stellar" NY style thin crust
pizza.

Some 2nd Avenue deli reviews said it was crowded and the service was less
than friendly and the method of billing was nothing less than strange.

I don't much care about whether it's kosher or not. New owner? Questionable
family involvement? Aside from higher prices, some other things are bound
to be lost in the transition.

The article made it sound very "iffy," with no projected opening date, etc.

It won't be a compelling foodie reason to visit NYC in the future.

AND... was it REALLY the city's "best corned-beef sandwich"???

Good luck to them.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> AND... was it REALLY the city's "best corned-beef sandwich"???

Nope!!

The best is here at my MIL's place.

She only uses the 'eye' of the corned beef, sliced, puts it on warm fresh
bread with lashings of butter, tops with thinly sliced red onion and *very*
thinly sliced lemon........ or if you prefer, just lemon zest.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL said...

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>

>> AND... was it REALLY the city's "best corned-beef sandwich"???
>>

> Nope!!
>
> The best is here at my MIL's place.
>
> She only uses the 'eye' of the corned beef, sliced, puts it on warm
> fresh bread with lashings of butter, tops with thinly sliced red onion
> and *very* thinly sliced lemon........ or if you prefer, just lemon
> zest.

PeterL,

Well for God sakes man... put her on a plane to Philly!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> PeterL said...
>
>> Andy <q> wrote in :
>>

>>> AND... was it REALLY the city's "best corned-beef sandwich"???
>>>

>> Nope!!
>>
>> The best is here at my MIL's place.
>>
>> She only uses the 'eye' of the corned beef, sliced, puts it on warm
>> fresh bread with lashings of butter, tops with thinly sliced red

onion
>> and *very* thinly sliced lemon........ or if you prefer, just lemon
>> zest.

> PeterL,
>
> Well for God sakes man... put her on a plane to Philly!!!
>
> Andy

Ahhhhh, but she has passed the baton to me ;-P

I'm experimenting with the bread at the moment. I want to 'tweak' it a
bit to give the whole thing a bit more 'Oomph'!!

Try it yourself next time. Instead of buying it at a deli..........
unless of course, I own it ;-P

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Jan 2007 14:25:41 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> AND... was it REALLY the city's "best corned-beef sandwich"???
>>

>Nope!!
>
>The best is here at my MIL's place.
>
>She only uses the 'eye' of the corned beef, sliced, puts it on warm fresh
>bread with lashings of butter, tops with thinly sliced red onion and *very*
>thinly sliced lemon........ or if you prefer, just lemon zest.

Warm bread? Butter? Lemon? Onion? for a corned beef sandwich???

Not when the city cited is New York where you need rye bread and deli
mustard for corned beef

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Curly Sue said...
>

>>Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
>>
>>Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
>>negotiations with "third" party.
>>
>>http://www.nysun.com/article/46093
>>
>>Sue(tm)
>>Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Sue,
>
> I almost made it to the 2nd Avenue deli last year but ended up at John's
> Pizzeria on Bleecker St for a "less-than-stellar" NY style thin crust
> pizza.
>
> Some 2nd Avenue deli reviews said it was crowded and the service was less
> than friendly and the method of billing was nothing less than strange.
>
> I don't much care about whether it's kosher or not. New owner? Questionable
> family involvement? Aside from higher prices, some other things are bound
> to be lost in the transition.
>
> The article made it sound very "iffy," with no projected opening date, etc.
>
> It won't be a compelling foodie reason to visit NYC in the future.
>
> AND... was it REALLY the city's "best corned-beef sandwich"???
>
> Good luck to them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Heretic!

Kidding aside, for someone like me it is not a good place for the new
2nd Avenue Deli. It is a mostly Korean business neighborhood, at
least a couple of blocks West, around Madison Avenue and the traffic
there is incredible. For me, the old 2nd Avenue Deli was a lunch
destination, never dinner. I can just imagine how crowded the new one
will be during lunch hours, since this is such a dense business area.

The old staff is gone and no matter how rude they may have seemed,
they knew their business when it came to old fashioned Jewish Deli
food. I don't mean just the sandwiches, I mean all the old Jewish
dishes that really can no longer be found in other Manhattan delis,
but still were made in the old one. The Chicken Giblet Fricassee was
soooo good there and so were the Chopped Chicken livers and the
Mushroom Barley Soup.

I don't know about the Corned Beef, Terry thought highly of the
Pastrami and I thought the Tongue Sandwich was the bests

Andy, here is a compelling reason to visit NYC in the futu While
in the city, we will meet for lunch at the new 2nd Avenue Deli and try
it out together. Compelling enough? O.K., I will throw in Marcel, so
you can meet him. That should be as compelling as it can get. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote

> Warm bread? Butter? Lemon? Onion? for a corned beef sandwich???
>
> Not when the city cited is New York where you need rye bread and deli
> mustard for corned beef

Glad you said it. I never even heard of a brisket having an 'eye'.
Never mind friggin lemon on it? No.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Jan 2007 14:43:41 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> PeterL said...

>>> Nope!!
>>>
>>> The best is here at my MIL's place.
>>>
>>> She only uses the 'eye' of the corned beef, sliced, puts it on warm
>>> fresh bread with lashings of butter, tops with thinly sliced red

>onion
>>> and *very* thinly sliced lemon........ or if you prefer, just lemon
>>> zest.

>> PeterL,
>>
>> Well for God sakes man... put her on a plane to Philly!!!
>>
>> Andy
>>

>Ahhhhh, but she has passed the baton to me ;-P
>

>I'm experimenting with the bread at the moment. I want to 'tweak' it a
>bit to give the whole thing a bit more 'Oomph'!!

To give it more "oomph," drop the hippy bread, the onion, the lemon,
and add rye bread and mustard. Lemon is not "oomph," it's afternoon
tea. Mustard is "oomph." }:>

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Jan 2007 15:03:57 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

(Curly Sue) wrote in
:

>>>Nope!!
>>>
>>>The best is here at my MIL's place.
>>>
>>>She only uses the 'eye' of the corned beef, sliced, puts it on warm
>>>fresh bread with lashings of butter, tops with thinly sliced red onion
>>>and *very* thinly sliced lemon........ or if you prefer, just lemon
>>>zest.

>> Warm bread? Butter? Lemon? Onion? for a corned beef sandwich???

>Don't knock it till you try it.

Although surprized, I'm not knocking it. Just saying it wouldn't past
mustard, er muster, in New York as the "best corned beef sandwich."

>> Not when the city cited is New York where you need rye bread and deli
>> mustard for corned beef

>Rye and mustard is so........... so-so.

>Wrap your laughing gear around a Brisbane Corned Beef sandwich........
>
>Try a 9 grain bread, with either poppy seed or sunflower seeds on the
>outside.

I love that kind of bread. It is perfect for turkey, avocado,
havarti, and sprouts. But for a corned beef sandwich? Not so much.
Corned beef needs an assertive bread. And mustard.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Curly Sue) wrote in news:459d1b6c.9097216
@news-server.nyc.rr.com:

> On 04 Jan 2007 14:43:41 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>
>>Andy <q> wrote in :
>>
>>> PeterL said...

>>onion
>>>

>>> PeterL,
>>>
>>> Well for God sakes man... put her on a plane to Philly!!!
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>>Ahhhhh, but she has passed the baton to me ;-P
>>

>>I'm experimenting with the bread at the moment. I want to 'tweak' it a
>>bit to give the whole thing a bit more 'Oomph'!!
>>

> To give it more "oomph," drop the hippy bread,

ROFLMAO!!!! 'Hippy bread'!!!!!!!

That 'hippy bread' is a whole lot more beneficial for your *inside*
health, than just plain rye.

>the onion, the lemon,
> and add rye bread and mustard. Lemon is not "oomph," it's afternoon
> tea. Mustard is "oomph." }:>

can you spell the word "RUT"????

That seems to be what a vast majority of you people are in.

I'm quite willing to try *any* variation on a recipe.

Seems some people on here are too pig headed to do so.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> On 04 Jan 2007 15:03:57 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>

> Although surprized, I'm not knocking it. Just saying it wouldn't past
> mustard, er muster, in New York as the "best corned beef sandwich."

Sue, this is comparing Grapes and Watermelon, or whatever. You cannot
compare Italian Corned Beef with Kosher or Jewish Style Corned Beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
>
> Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
> negotiations with "third" party.
>
> http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Jan 2007 15:32:29 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

(Curly Sue) wrote in news:459d1b6c.9097216
:

>>>onion

<snip>

>>>I'm experimenting with the bread at the moment. I want to 'tweak' it a
>>>bit to give the whole thing a bit more 'Oomph'!!
>>>

>> To give it more "oomph," drop the hippy bread,

>ROFLMAO!!!! 'Hippy bread'!!!!!!!
>
>That 'hippy bread' is a whole lot more beneficial for your *inside*
>health, than just plain rye.

I doubt that it makes much difference. But in any case, you're not
going to improve your health by eating two slices of bread with a
tablespoon of seeds instead of rye.

>>the onion, the lemon,
>> and add rye bread and mustard. Lemon is not "oomph," it's afternoon
>> tea. Mustard is "oomph." }:>

>can you spell the word "RUT"????
>
>That seems to be what a vast majority of you people are in.
>
>I'm quite willing to try *any* variation on a recipe.

Can you spell "CLASSIC?." There are some combinations so exquisite,
so perfect that "variation" = "degradation." But I have been known
to indulge in a Reuben on occasion.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in news:1167926048.865328.210930
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

>> Oh, and you *do* have 'Eye' of Corned Beef........
>>
>> http://www.pocinofoods.com/pastrami_corned_beef.html

> Talking about corned beef as though it were cut of beef is stupid...
> corned is a method of preparation.

Are your haemorrhoids playing up Shelley?? Is that why you've been such a
pain in the arse lately?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Jan 2007 15:39:56 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

(Curly Sue) wrote in news:459d1c2e.9291195
:

>> Although surprized, I'm not knocking it. Just saying it wouldn't past
>> mustard, er muster, in New York as the "best corned beef sandwich."

>Well, look at all the other Aussie 'imports' you've taken to heart!!

>deli mustard for corned beef
>>>
>>>Rye and mustard is so........... so-so.

>>>Wrap your laughing gear around a Brisbane Corned Beef sandwich........
>>>
>>>Try a 9 grain bread, with either poppy seed or sunflower seeds on the
>>>outside.

>> I love that kind of bread. It is perfect for turkey, avocado,
>> havarti, and sprouts. But for a corned beef sandwich? Not so much.
>> Corned beef needs an assertive bread. And mustard.

>LOL!!! There's that word "RUT" again!! ;-)
>
>(BTW, I *did* specify that it had to be Corned Beef Eye........ *not*
>brisket!!)
>
>--
>Peter Lucas
>Brisbane
>Australia

And we did specify the city as New York. So there!

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jan 2007 08:00:59 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
>>
>> Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
>> negotiations with "third" party.
>>
>> http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

>It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.

Surely it won't be the same. But as Margaret described the location
it might survive through heavy tourist business. Although that didn't
help Mama Leone's ;>

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Curly Sue) wrote in news:459d268f.11948580
@news-server.nyc.rr.com:

> On 4 Jan 2007 08:00:59 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>Curly Sue wrote:
>>> Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
>>>
>>> Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
>>> negotiations with "third" party.

http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

>>It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.
>>

> Surely it won't be the same. But as Margaret described the location
> it might survive through heavy tourist business. Although that didn't
> help Mama Leone's ;>

Let's hope no more Lebewohl's get shot to death in font of the new
store.

And does the $100K reward still stand???

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:

>> It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.

> Surely it won't be the same. But as Margaret described the location
> it might survive through heavy tourist business. Although that didn't
> help Mama Leone's ;>
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

This is not a block where tourists would go. I meant that the people
who work right there would eat there, if they have enough time or if
the service will be much faster than it was on 2nd Avenue.

However, they should be kept very busy with lunch deliveries, office
parties catering and after business hours drinks, if there will be a
nice bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran said...

> Andy, here is a compelling reason to visit NYC in the futu While
> in the city, we will meet for lunch at the new 2nd Avenue Deli and try
> it out together. Compelling enough? O.K., I will throw in Marcel, so
> you can meet him. That should be as compelling as it can get. )

Margaret,

That's the nicest offer I've had in ages! Thank you!

{HUGS}

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Curly Sue wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote:

> Curly Sue wrote:
>
> >> It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.

> > Surely it won't be the same.

One major reason it won't make it.

> > But as Margaret described the location
> > it might survive through heavy tourist business. Although that didn't
> > help Mama Leone's ;>

> This is not a block where tourists would go. I meant that the people
> who work right there would eat there, if they have enough time or if
> the service will be much faster than it was on 2nd Avenue.

And if they can afford it. Typically working people won't pay those
prices for lunch... tourists will because for them it's a once in a
lifetime but not regular working folks on a regular basis.

> However, they should be kept very busy with lunch deliveries, office
> parties catering

I don't think so, see above... ordinary deli is less than half the
price, and a great majority will like regular deli whereas only a
minority really like typical kosher deli viands.

> and after business hours drinks, if there will be a nice bar.

Traditonally Noo Yawk style kosher delis do not have dedicated bars,
space is much too exhorbitantly priced in NYC... which is primarilly
why the original 2nd Ave. deli closed, that and that there is no way to
cut costs on kosher... they were obviously losing money, and couldn't
even afford to keep up with correcting health code violations. The Noo
Yawk style kosher deli is a dinosaur... probably no more than six left
on the planet, as each closes another will never open, not even kosher
style, the concept is doomed. A mere 60 years ago there were literally
hundreds of kosher delis in Noo Yawk Cidy, probably well over 1000...
and now even the best doesn't compare to what was considered the worst
back then, and in those days kosher delis were less expensive than
other restaurants, simply because they were all family owned/operated,
they worked harder and longer and everything was prepared on the
premises. There is no cooking school for kosher deli, only way to
learn is on the job .. what job. duh

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2007 08:00:59 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >Curly Sue wrote:
> >> Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
> >>
> >> Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
> >> negotiations with "third" party.
> >>
> >> http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

> >It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.
> >

> Surely it won't be the same. But as Margaret described the location
> it might survive through heavy tourist business. Although that didn't
> help Mama Leone's ;>

Is Luchow's still open...???

;--)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04 Jan 2007 16:12:30 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>Spell 'RUT' for me.
>
>Stuck in a 'RUT', I see.
>
>Yes....... R.U.T.

Someone is stuck in a rhetorical rut!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:53:59 GMT, Margaret Suran
> rummaged among random neurons and
opined:

<snip>

>I don't know about the Corned Beef, Terry thought highly of the
>Pastrami and I thought the Tongue Sandwich was the bests

I loved the pastrami - and I would cut out my keyboard before I would
admit that I really, really liked the pastrami over there <pointing>
at that place Curly Sue, Stan and the lot of us went once (where it
had the "Harry Meets Sally" table and which name I cannot recall). Had
all the ambience of a soup kitchen, however.

>Andy, here is a compelling reason to visit NYC in the futu While
>in the city, we will meet for lunch at the new 2nd Avenue Deli and try
>it out together. Compelling enough? O.K., I will throw in Marcel, so
>you can meet him. That should be as compelling as it can get. )

Hugs to you and Marcel! And Happy New Year!

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and
then beat you with experience."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:05:47 GMT, (Curly
Sue) wrote:

>Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
>
>Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
>negotiations with "third" party.

http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

When do you plan to do this? I am thinking of a summer trip to NYC.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

>> Curly Sue said...

>>>Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.

>Kidding aside, for someone like me it is not a good place for the new
>2nd Avenue Deli. It is a mostly Korean business neighborhood, at
>least a couple of blocks West, around Madison Avenue and the traffic
>there is incredible.

Sarge's Deli is on Third Ave. in Murray Hill and they do well.
Perhaps the 2nd Ave people are counting on siphoning off some
of Sarge's business, particularly if they can claim to be Kosher
which Sarge's isn't.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>Surely it won't be the same.

>>and after business hours drinks, if there will be a nice bar.

> Traditonally Noo Yawk style kosher delis do not have dedicated bars,
> space is much too exhorbitantly priced in NYC... which is primarilly
> why the original 2nd Ave. deli closed, that and that there is no way to
> cut costs on kosher... they were obviously losing money, and couldn't
> even afford to keep up with correcting health code violations. The Noo
> Yawk style kosher deli is a dinosaur... probably no more than six left
> on the planet, as each closes another will never open, not even kosher
> style, the concept is doomed. A mere 60 years ago there were literally
> hundreds of kosher delis in Noo Yawk Cidy, probably well over 1000...
> and now even the best doesn't compare to what was considered the worst
> back then, and in those days kosher delis were less expensive than
> other restaurants, simply because they were all family owned/operated,
> they worked harder and longer and everything was prepared on the
> premises. There is no cooking school for kosher deli, only way to
> learn is on the job .. what job. duh
>
> Sheldon

Yes, you are probably right. I am trying to think of reasons why the
Deli will succeed and I am grasping at the proverbial straw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2007 08:00:59 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >Curly Sue wrote:
> >> Might be returning on Third Ave! To Murray Hill.
> >>
> >> Heard on a local TV station (NY1) this morning that the family is in
> >> negotiations with "third" party.

http://www.nysun.com/article/46093

> >It'll never make it... it's over, done, fartic.
> >

> Surely it won't be the same. But as Margaret described the location
> it might survive through heavy tourist business. Although that didn't
> help Mama Leone's ;>

I hope this plan to bring the 2nd Avenue deli back to life comes to
fruition. I loved that place! I am not a pastrami fan, but I loved their
health salad, matzo ball soup, and brisket. I am one of the lucky ones
who have had the pleasure of dining there with Margaret and Marcel.

The Carnegie Deli seems to be doing well in NYC, so why not a new 2nd
Avenue Deli? With the 2nd Avenue Deli's supposed new location on 33rd
Street, I think it will be closer to where a lot of tourists hang so it
might benefit from the tourist trade, just like the Carnegie Deli does.

In fact, back on the first Friday in November, I had breakfast with a
friend at the Carnegie Del. We sat at a table right next to where the
owner was eating and talking with some business associate. I forget the
owner's name, but I know it was him because it was the same guy that
appeared on some of the photos with celebrities that were hanging on the
walls. I couldn't help but overhear him say that one reason he's still
in business is because he owns the building the deli is in. He said that
even though operating expenses were high, he didn't have to worry about
the rent going up. If the new 2nd Avenue Deli is operated out of a
building that it owns, there also won't be any more landlord disputes.

By the way, this was my first visit to the Carnegie Deli in many years.
I know a lot of people dislike the Carnegie Deli, but the breakfast I
had there was fantastic! The smoked salmon platter I ordered was served
with a generous amount of lox with a huge bagel and it was delicious! I
also ordered a side order of scrambled eggs to go with the lox and bagel
and they were great.

In fact, I will be leaving for Las Vegas early tomorrow (Sunday)
morning. I am hoping I will get to eat at the Carnegie Deli in the
Mirage while I am there.