Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default First Rain since March

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 00:41:35 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Ealier today Phoenix was cursed with a 60 mph dust storm with
>visibility at about 40-50 feet. No sooner had that dimnished that we
>were blessed with tremendous thunderstorms immediately followed by
>gale force rain and in some areas hale. There has been consideable
>flooding, particularly because we have veery few storm sewers. Our
>immediate and personal concern was the flooding of pathways and
>parking areas there were as deep as six inches in many areas of our
>development. Fortunately the pathway to our entrance hall and front
>door was unaffected, but just outside of that entrance it was at
>least ankle deep in water. The rain has finally calmed down for now,
>but more is expected. This is during our monsoon season which may be
>dry or wet. One never knows for sure. At leasat we're not bailing
>out with buckets. :-)
>
>Many areas beyond central Phoenix have "dips" in the roadways that
>can reach 5-6 feet in depth. There are always warning signs at these
>dips, so it's travel at your own risk. If you're stuck in one, it's
>generally your own fault and rescur squads are not in to much of a
>hurry to haul you out.

I hadn't heard that your area was expecting that sort of violent
weather. Was it unexpected?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 02:20:14 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 09 Jul 2018 06:37:41p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 00:41:35 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Ealier today Phoenix was cursed with a 60 mph dust storm with
>>>visibility at about 40-50 feet. No sooner had that dimnished that
>>>we were blessed with tremendous thunderstorms immediately followed
>>>by gale force rain and in some areas hale. There has been
>>>consideable flooding, particularly because we have veery few storm
>>>sewers. Our immediate and personal concern was the flooding of
>>>pathways and parking areas there were as deep as six inches in
>>>many areas of our development. Fortunately the pathway to our
>>>entrance hall and front door was unaffected, but just outside of
>>>that entrance it was at least ankle deep in water. The rain has
>>>finally calmed down for now, but more is expected. This is during
>>>our monsoon season which may be dry or wet. One never knows for
>>>sure. At leasat we're not bailing out with buckets. :-)
>>>
>>>Many areas beyond central Phoenix have "dips" in the roadways that
>>>can reach 5-6 feet in depth. There are always warning signs at
>>>these dips, so it's travel at your own risk. If you're stuck in
>>>one, it's generally your own fault and rescur squads are not in to
>>>much of a hurry to haul you out.

>> I hadn't heard that your area was expecting that sort of violent
>> weather. Was it unexpected?
>> Janet US
>>

>Somewhat. They've been predicting dust storms and rain for at least
>a week or more, but nothing this violent. We had been grocery
>shopping earlier and just as we were unloading the car the dust
>storms began. By the time we had finished bringing everything into
>the co-op you could barely see 4-5 feet ahead of you from the dust.
>I'm just thankful that we weren't actually caught in the downpour of
>rain.
>
>More typically in monsoon we have frequent but mild dust and rain
>storms.
>
>Far less frequent and far more violent are haboobs. They ca be quite
>frightening and dangerous.
>
>https://is.gd/EwRgGg

What's a haboob? I tried the link but both my cleaner and malware
pgms went ape
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:42:36 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 10 Jul 2018 04:08:20a, told us...
>
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 02:20:14 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 09 Jul 2018 06:37:41p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

>>>Somewhat. They've been predicting dust storms and rain for at
>>>least a week or more, but nothing this violent. We had been
>>>grocery shopping earlier and just as we were unloading the car the
>>>dust storms began. By the time we had finished bringing
>>>everything into the co-op you could barely see 4-5 feet ahead of
>>>you from the dust. I'm just thankful that we weren't actually
>>>caught in the downpour of rain.
>>>
>>>More typically in monsoon we have frequent but mild dust and rain
>>>storms.
>>>
>>>Far less frequent and far more violent are haboobs. They ca be
>>>quite frightening and dangerous.
>>>
>>>https://is.gd/EwRgGg

>> What's a haboob? I tried the link but both my cleaner and malware
>> pgms went ape
>>

> Haboobs are giant walls of dust created from high winds rushing out
>of a collapsing thunderstorm. Really really serious and destructive.

Yes, have seen one in the Sahara but didn't know they were called
that. The sand manages to get into everything
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never experienced a dust storm here in NH, so this might be a stupid question, but, where does the dust come from? Are they only in areas near a desert? How far from a desert can this dust travel?

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 02:20:14 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 09 Jul 2018 06:37:41p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 00:41:35 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Ealier today Phoenix was cursed with a 60 mph dust storm with
>>>visibility at about 40-50 feet. No sooner had that dimnished that
>>>we were blessed with tremendous thunderstorms immediately followed
>>>by gale force rain and in some areas hale. There has been
>>>consideable flooding, particularly because we have veery few storm
>>>sewers. Our immediate and personal concern was the flooding of
>>>pathways and parking areas there were as deep as six inches in
>>>many areas of our development. Fortunately the pathway to our
>>>entrance hall and front door was unaffected, but just outside of
>>>that entrance it was at least ankle deep in water. The rain has
>>>finally calmed down for now, but more is expected. This is during
>>>our monsoon season which may be dry or wet. One never knows for
>>>sure. At leasat we're not bailing out with buckets. :-)
>>>
>>>Many areas beyond central Phoenix have "dips" in the roadways that
>>>can reach 5-6 feet in depth. There are always warning signs at
>>>these dips, so it's travel at your own risk. If you're stuck in
>>>one, it's generally your own fault and rescur squads are not in to
>>>much of a hurry to haul you out.

>> I hadn't heard that your area was expecting that sort of violent
>> weather. Was it unexpected?
>> Janet US
>>

>Somewhat. They've been predicting dust storms and rain for at least
>a week or more, but nothing this violent. We had been grocery
>shopping earlier and just as we were unloading the car the dust
>storms began. By the time we had finished bringing everything into
>the co-op you could barely see 4-5 feet ahead of you from the dust.
>I'm just thankful that we weren't actually caught in the downpour of
>rain.
>
>More typically in monsoon we have frequent but mild dust and rain
>storms.
>
>Far less frequent and far more violent are haboobs. They ca be quite
>frightening and dangerous.
>
>https://is.gd/EwRgGg

I saw video of the storm/wind/dust on The Weather Channel this
morning. I certainly hope they called that a haboob. I'm always
amazed when I see one. They are so menacing looking like something
from a sci-fi movie. I'm glad you suffered no damage. Did you get
your car under cover to save the finish from the sand?
take care
Janet US

Rain and such George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 27-05-2016 05:33 PM
Rain George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 3 20-04-2016 03:28 PM
Abstinence from food (13 March to 22 March) Confusor General Cooking 0 11-03-2013 10:08 PM
Abstinence from food (3 March to 12 March) Confusor General Cooking 0 02-03-2013 11:04 AM
RAIN !!! ImStillMags General Cooking 9 16-10-2012 02:45 AM