Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Starbucks to eliminate plastic straws

On 2018-07-11 12:40 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 11 Jul 2018 10:27:55a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:15:24 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I just Googled it and it seems that cursive is no longer on the
>>> curriculum here in Ontario, or most of the rest of Canada. It can
>>> be taught at the discretion of teachers, but only about 40% of
>>> schools were teaching it as of three years ago.

>>> I don't know if there is any truth to that. They are still
>>> teaching the basics here. Calculators are certainly helpful in
>>> higher levels. I had to take statistics and probability courses at
>>> university in the early 70s when calculators were extremely
>>> expensive. A pocket calculator that would add, subtract, multiply
>>> and divide was about $250, and those that had memory banks were a
>>> lot more. Working out even the simplest formulae involved
>>> squaring and figuring out square roots. The mechanics of all the
>>> calculations was overwhelming and interfered with learning. By my
>>> second here the department had set up a calculator room where we
>>> could do the math.
>>>

>> Ahh, thinking back to the days of the slide ruler.
>>

> OMG, how I hated slide rules!

Damn sight quicker than using log tables:-)
I still have mine from high school and uni days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 19:04:33 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

snip

>I was taught to never use some else's fountain pen, and to never let
>anyone else use yours. Apparently the tip develops a unique shape
>with use, by that user/owner.

smile. I had forgotten that stricture although I would never borrow
or lend a fountain pen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/11/2018 12:53 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:44:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> On a side note... even though we had a bountiful supply of cheap
>>> ballpoint pens at work, I always used me own pens.

>> I buy my own pens, too. I like a fairly slim ball point pen with a
>> fine point. Looks like I've settled on Papermate Comfort Mate pens.

> I always brought in my own pens, I guess I'm fussy. These days it's
> Paper Made Flex Grip fine point. Mostly I use them for puzzles.
> Also Ticonderoga #3 pencils.
>
> nancy

I like the Black Warrior pencils for puzzles.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:31:22 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 7/11/2018 12:53 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:44:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> On a side note... even though we had a bountiful supply of cheap
>>> ballpoint pens at work, I always used me own pens.

>> I buy my own pens, too. I like a fairly slim ball point pen with a
>> fine point. Looks like I've settled on Papermate Comfort Mate pens.

>I always brought in my own pens, I guess I'm fussy. These days it's
>Paper Made Flex Grip fine point. Mostly I use them for puzzles.
>Also Ticonderoga #3 pencils.
>
>nancy

For crosswords I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like a bold point gel pen and blue is very nice. I think Uniball
makes a much better product than Paper Mate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:16:54 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 19:04:33 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>snip
>>
>>I was taught to never use some else's fountain pen, and to never let
>>anyone else use yours. Apparently the tip develops a unique shape
>>with use, by that user/owner.

>smile. I had forgotten that stricture although I would never borrow
>or lend a fountain pen

And anyone who uses fountain pens would not call it a "tip", it's a
nib.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:27:55 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:15:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> I'm actually stunned that people here claim they don't teach kids
>>> cursive now. Is that true? I find it hard to believe but I can
>>> check with my daughter about this. I have 2 grandchildren in
>>> elementary school.

>>I just Googled it and it seems that cursive is no longer on the
>>curriculum here in Ontario, or most of the rest of Canada. It can be
>>taught at the discretion of teachers, but only about 40% of schools were
>>teaching it as of three years ago.
>>

>>> I've also heard that they teach limited math now too since
>>> everyone has calculators of some sort so no need to learn the
>>> basics?

>>I don't know if there is any truth to that. They are still teaching the
>>basics here. Calculators are certainly helpful in higher levels. I had
>>to take statistics and probability courses at university in the early
>>70s when calculators were extremely expensive. A pocket calculator that
>>would add, subtract, multiply and divide was about $250, and those that
>>had memory banks were a lot more. Working out even the simplest
>>formulae involved squaring and figuring out square roots. The mechanics
>>of all the calculations was overwhelming and interfered with learning.
>>By my second here the department had set up a calculator room where we
>>could do the math.
>>

>Ahh, thinking back to the days of the slide ruler.

No "r". I found the slide rule frustrating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-11 5:19 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:31:22 -0400, Nancy Young >

> For crosswords I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> I like a bold point gel pen and blue is very nice. I think Uniball
> makes a much better product than Paper Mate.

I just use my Parker ballpoint pen for crosswords. I prefer a fine
point because the narrow line is easier to overwrite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> > >Ball point pens were slow off the start and were very expensive in the
> > >1950s. When I was in elementary school we had to learn to write with
> > >stick pens. Once we demonstrated mastery of that we could use fountain
> > >pens, and we used them right through high school. By the time I got to
> > >university Bic pens were cheap.

> > Just the opposite in the US, we learned to write long hand with
> > fountain pens.

> Things must have changed in the generation between you and me. I learned
> to write cursive with a pencil.

We were taught to write alphabet letters on a sand tray; then write
them on a slate with chalk, and finally write them in pencil on paper.
The paper was lined and each letter had to fit between lines in a
uniform size. When we had got the hang of that, we were thrilled to be
issued with dip pens, a piece of blotting paper and an inkwell each,
filled with ink (the inkwells were brought round on a tray, and each
desk had a hole to put one in.) We often blotted our work until we
learned to control the nib. Then we were taught, in ink, what we all
called "joined up writing
At the end of each writing lesson the inkwells were collected up again.
The ink in them, was made by mixing powder with water in a jug. It smelt
terrible.

Only when we had mastered cursive writing with a dip pen, were we
allowed to use a fountain pen.It was a proud day when the teacher wrote
in your handwriting excercise book "You may bring a fountain pen to
school."

I still use a fountain pen to sign typed letters and personal cards.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 6:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Just the opposite in the US, we learned to write long hand with
>> fountain pens.

> Things must have changed in the generation between you and me. I learned
> to write cursive with a pencil.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Same here. I think it was fourth grade when we started with fountain
pens, ball points were rare then. I was in 5th grade when my mother
bought a PaperMate pen and let me write with it and my handwriting
improved. That was about 1955.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 9:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'm an infant of 61. It was all ball points for us. As a lefty,
> I've never been able to use a fountain pen. Not amenable to being
> pushed across the page, and my hand drags through the ink.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

As a lefty I hd similar problems, but as an adult I figured it out. My
wife was able to though, she also is a lefty.

The good news though, we make good pitchers and the best machinists and
tool makers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 10:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> On a side note... even though we had a bountiful supply of cheap
> ballpoint pens at work, I always used me own pens. I would buy Parker
> ball point pens. I found them more comfortable to hold and they could be
> usedÂ* upside down for a few words, which was handy at work.Â* A cartridge
> would last me for months, compared to stick pens which usually went
> missing withing a couple hours.

I used Parker for years and I also had a pen custom turned that uses
Parker refills but is a little fatter.

I also have a Cross slide open cartridge pen that is short and is in my
pocket all the time. Rare that you will find me with no pen if I have
clothes on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:50 AM, Gary wrote:

> Dude. I thought you were younger than me but you are talking 19th
> century nonsense, imo.
> I just turned 65 12 days ago and none of that applied when I was
> in school. Always pencils and ballpoint pens for my time.

I remember our desks had the hole for the ink well but they were gone.

Speaking of tur ing 65, are you all signed up for Medicare? Its not a
bad deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 11:19 AM, l not -l wrote:

> Today, I still do some hand written communication, thank yous, condolences,
> special occasions, etc; but, there are far fewer occasions than previously.
> IME, hand written notes recognizing accomplishments or other notable events
> are even more treasured/appreciated today than ever before.

We get Christmas cards with pre-printed names. They are appreciated,
but i feel like just part of a mailing list. The ones that have a
sentence or two mean much more to me as the person really cares.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/11/2018 10:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> On a side note... even though we had a bountiful supply of cheap
>> ballpoint pens at work, I always used me own pens. I would buy Parker
>> ball point pens. I found them more comfortable to hold and they could be
>> used upside down for a few words, which was handy at work. A cartridge
>> would last me for months, compared to stick pens which usually went
>> missing withing a couple hours.

> I used Parker for years and I also had a pen custom turned that uses
> Parker refills but is a little fatter.
>
> I also have a Cross slide open cartridge pen that is short and is in my
> pocket all the time. Rare that you will find me with no pen if I have
> clothes on.

I use a Pilot with Mont Blanc refills, you just have to trim a bit off the
end of the refill for them to fit perfectly.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/11/2018 11:19 AM, l not -l wrote:
>
>> Today, I still do some hand written communication, thank yous,
>> condolences,
>> special occasions, etc; but, there are far fewer occasions than
>> previously.
>> IME, hand written notes recognizing accomplishments or other notable
>> events
>> are even more treasured/appreciated today than ever before.

> We get Christmas cards with pre-printed names. They are appreciated, but
> i feel like just part of a mailing list. The ones that have a sentence or
> two mean much more to me as the person really cares.

I feel the same way about Christmas cards, and I really hate those printed
newsletters that some people send out. Geez, you would think these people
live with nothing but rainbows and sparkling streams.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 21:31:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/11/2018 11:19 AM, l not -l wrote:
>
>> Today, I still do some hand written communication, thank yous, condolences,
>> special occasions, etc; but, there are far fewer occasions than previously.
>> IME, hand written notes recognizing accomplishments or other notable events
>> are even more treasured/appreciated today than ever before.

>We get Christmas cards with pre-printed names. They are appreciated,
>but i feel like just part of a mailing list. The ones that have a
>sentence or two mean much more to me as the person really cares.

The day I start sending out Christmas cards to people, I'll also start
wearing ties and take a purple perm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 7:08:28 PM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> We were taught to write alphabet letters on a sand tray; then write
> them on a slate with chalk, and finally write them in pencil on paper.
> The paper was lined and each letter had to fit between lines in a
> uniform size. When we had got the hang of that, we were thrilled to be
> issued with dip pens, a piece of blotting paper and an inkwell each,
> filled with ink (the inkwells were brought round on a tray, and each
> desk had a hole to put one in.) We often blotted our work until we
> learned to control the nib. Then we were taught, in ink, what we all
> called "joined up writing
> At the end of each writing lesson the inkwells were collected up again.
> The ink in them, was made by mixing powder with water in a jug. It smelt
> terrible.
>
> Only when we had mastered cursive writing with a dip pen, were we
> allowed to use a fountain pen.It was a proud day when the teacher wrote
> in your handwriting excercise book "You may bring a fountain pen to
> school."
>
> I still use a fountain pen to sign typed letters and personal cards.
>
> Janet UK

I guess each country, province/state all had their ways of introducing us
to cursive writing. I was introduced to it in the third grade and re-
member the lined paper but no dip pens, ink wells, sand trays, or slate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:51:48 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:

> The day I start sending out Christmas cards to people, I'll also start
> wearing ties and take a purple perm.

I admit to sending out about a dozen or so Christmas cards and like Ed, I
add just a line or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:51:48 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
>>
>> The day I start sending out Christmas cards to people, I'll also start
>> wearing ties and take a purple perm.
>>

> I admit to sending out about a dozen or so Christmas cards and like Ed, I
> add just a line or two.

We used to send out a lot, but now, like you, only about a dozen or so. DH's
aunt in Texas just passed away last month at 97, and every year without
fail, a Christmas card from her, shaky handwriting the past few years, but
always a handwritten note. Those mean something to me, and in cursive too.
;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:51:48 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
>>>
>>> The day I start sending out Christmas cards to people, I'll also start
>>> wearing ties and take a purple perm.
>>>

>> I admit to sending out about a dozen or so Christmas cards and like Ed, I
>> add just a line or two.

> We used to send out a lot, but now, like you, only about a dozen or so.
> DH's aunt in Texas just passed away last month at 97, and every year
> without fail, a Christmas card from her, shaky handwriting the past few
> years, but always a handwritten note. Those mean something to me, and in
> cursive too. ;-)

I didn't send any last year and I'd just as soon not get any. They seem
rather meaningless these days. I barely look at them. If there is a letter,
it's usually the generic kind and I know all of the stuff in it anyway.
Mostly I get caught up with things on social media.

Cards are so expensive nowadays and I rarely find one with the sentiment I
want. Once in a while I will make one. By hand. Not computer generated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-12 1:46 AM, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message

> We used to send out a lot, but now, like you, only about a dozen or so.
> DH's aunt in Texas just passed away last month at 97, and every year
> without fail, a Christmas card from her, shaky handwriting the past few
> years, but always a handwritten note. Those mean something to me, and in
> cursive too. ;-)

My wife spends a lot of time and a lot of money sending cards to people
we never see and never hear from. She even sends cards to her father's
friends overseas, and he died 25 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws

> >> Growing up all straws were paper. Actually safetywise paper straws
> >> are mush better, same as how some lollypops have paper sticks.

> > In the last three days I've hunted high and low for oldfashioned
> >wooden lolly sticks so the grands could make ice lollies. Younger shop
> >assistants looked blank, and one told me " Nobody makes their own ice
> >lollies these days; just buy some from the freezer section". I finally
> >tracked sticks down in Glasgow in a specialist kitchen shop. Whatever
> >happened to the simple things in life.
> >
> > Last night we mashed strawberries with yoghurt, froze it on sticks in
> >pots and the grands have just eaten them. Tomorrow, banana lollies.
> >
> > Janet UK

> See thread on Amazon, wooden popsicle sticks are available (in colors)
> in both the grocery and arts and crafts section.

Thanks, helpers.

I could hardly believe they aren't still sold off-the-shelf in every
smkt, newsagent shop etc. Like last time I bought some to make lollies
for kids, which was only about a quarter century ago.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Speaking of turning 65, are you all signed up for Medicare? Its not a
> bad deal.

Yes I am, Ed. I took a risk for many years (and won) but 65 was
time to get back in the loop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > gasp! older than old people still hanging on to life here in
> > RFC.

> It's from eating all that great food from the past, tuna casseroles, green
> bean casseroles, fish sticks, Jell-O salads, Spam, Potted Meat, boxed pizza
> mix, Chef Boyardee, McDonald's and so on. ;-)

heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
still kicking too. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>> > gasp! older than old people still hanging on to life here in
>> > RFC.

>> It's from eating all that great food from the past, tuna casseroles,
>> green
>> bean casseroles, fish sticks, Jell-O salads, Spam, Potted Meat, boxed
>> pizza
>> mix, Chef Boyardee, McDonald's and so on. ;-)

> heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
> green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
> still kicking too. :-D

Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the old
days.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2018 1:58 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of turning 65, are you all signed up for Medicare? Its not a
>> bad deal.

> Yes I am, Ed. I took a risk for many years (and won) but 65 was
> time to get back in the loop.

Good for you. Nice to have coverage as we get older.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-12 2:12 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> It's from eating all that great food from the past, tuna casseroles,
>>> green
>>> bean casseroles, fish sticks, Jell-O salads, Spam, Potted Meat, boxed
>>> pizza
>>> mix, Chef Boyardee, McDonald's and so on. ;-)

>> heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
>> green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
>> still kicking too.Â* :-D

> Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the
> old days.

Looking at that list of food there is not much I am interested in
eating. The only exception would be the famous green bean casserole,
something that I only had twice in my life and not until 11-12 years
ago. I had heard about it but never tried it. It sounded revolting but
turned out to be surprisingly good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the old
> days.

Well happy belated birthday to you!
I swear someday I'll try the green bean casserole. I'm sure I'll
like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws

>> > In the last three days I've hunted high and low for oldfashioned
>> >wooden lolly sticks so the grands could make ice lollies. Younger shop
>> >assistants looked blank, and one told me " Nobody makes their own ice
>> >lollies these days; just buy some from the freezer section". I finally
>> >tracked sticks down in Glasgow in a specialist kitchen shop. Whatever
>> >happened to the simple things in life.
>> >
>> > Last night we mashed strawberries with yoghurt, froze it on sticks in
>> >pots and the grands have just eaten them. Tomorrow, banana lollies.
>> >
>> > Janet UK

>> See thread on Amazon, wooden popsicle sticks are available (in colors)
>> in both the grocery and arts and crafts section.

> Thanks, helpers.
>
> I could hardly believe they aren't still sold off-the-shelf in every
>smkt, newsagent shop etc. Like last time I bought some to make lollies
>for kids, which was only about a quarter century ago.
>

> Janet UK

I stocked up the last time I found some because they were disappearing
from the shelves. That's been many years ago. I'm glad you brought
it up because I now know where to get them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the
>> old
>> days.

> Well happy belated birthday to you!
> I swear someday I'll try the green bean casserole. I'm sure I'll
> like it.

Thanks Gary, they come much faster these days.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws

>>> See thread on Amazon, wooden popsicle sticks are available (in colors)
>>> in both the grocery and arts and crafts section.

>> Thanks, helpers.
>>
>> I could hardly believe they aren't still sold off-the-shelf in every
>>smkt, newsagent shop etc. Like last time I bought some to make lollies
>>for kids, which was only about a quarter century ago.
>>

>> Janet UK

> I stocked up the last time I found some because they were disappearing
> from the shelves. That's been many years ago. I'm glad you brought
> it up because I now know where to get them

You can buy 1000 for about 6-7 dollars at Walmart, I believe Amazon sells
them in the 1000 pack too, enough for a lifetime for me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Method

> nb

From the link you provided I snagged this picture. Read the letter and
look at the word I've drawn a circle around. That ending t is a Palmer
final t.

https://s22.postimg.cc/i7sfb15ap/Palmer_Final_T.png

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>> > gasp! older than old people still hanging on to life here in
>> > RFC.

>> It's from eating all that great food from the past, tuna casseroles,
>> green
>> bean casseroles, fish sticks, Jell-O salads, Spam, Potted Meat, boxed
>> pizza
>> mix, Chef Boyardee, McDonald's and so on. ;-)

> heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
> green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
> still kicking too. :-D

Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the old
days.

Cheri

===

Happy belated birthday, Cheri. I hope you had a really good one)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:22:58 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Looking at that list of food there is not much I am interested in
> eating. The only exception would be the famous green bean casserole,
> something that I only had twice in my life and not until 11-12 years
> ago. I had heard about it but never tried it. It sounded revolting but
> turned out to be surprisingly good.

I never had this famous dish until recently either. It tasted like canned beans to me. That's not a good thing. My son likes it just fine and will make a big batch of green bean casserole to take to parties. It's what he's famous for - sheesh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 4:15:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:22:58 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Looking at that list of food there is not much I am interested in
> > eating. The only exception would be the famous green bean casserole,
> > something that I only had twice in my life and not until 11-12 years
> > ago. I had heard about it but never tried it. It sounded revolting but
> > turned out to be surprisingly good.

> I never had this famous dish until recently either. It tasted like canned beans to me. That's not a good thing. My son likes it just fine and will make a big batch of green bean casserole to take to parties. It's what he's famous for - sheesh!

I was very unimpressed with the green bean casserole as well. If I never
have it again it won't be too soon.