Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Starbucks to eliminate plastic straws

They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
waters around the globe each year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:05:10 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them
>
> https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
> waters around the globe each year.

Gotta start somewhere. Straws are, in the main, unnecessary. Might
as well eliminate them. People who need to sip their latte through
a straw will just have to bring one with.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:48:19 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:05:10 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them
>>
>> https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
>> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
>> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
>> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
>> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
>> waters around the globe each year.

>Gotta start somewhere. Straws are, in the main, unnecessary. Might
>as well eliminate them. People who need to sip their latte through
>a straw will just have to bring one with.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I grew up with paper straws and wooden ice cream spoons, never saw
plastic til the 6o's. I never saw plastic ball point pens until the
late 50s
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:48:19 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:05:10 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
>>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
>>> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
>>> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
>>> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
>>> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
>>> waters around the globe each year.

>> Gotta start somewhere. Straws are, in the main, unnecessary. Might
>> as well eliminate them. People who need to sip their latte through
>> a straw will just have to bring one with.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I grew up with paper straws and wooden ice cream spoons, never saw
> plastic til the 6o's. I never saw plastic ball point pens until the
> late 50s

I bet yoose ate with yoose hands back in the good ole days Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:48:23 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:05:10 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them
> >
> > https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
> > http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
> > Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
> > issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
> > by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
> > 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
> > waters around the globe each year.

> Gotta start somewhere. Straws are, in the main, unnecessary. Might
> as well eliminate them. People who need to sip their latte through
> a straw will just have to bring one with.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When you are correct and right you ARE!!

Plastic straws are completely unnecessary! Except maybe medically.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them
>
> https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
> waters around the globe each year.

I don't partake of anything Starbucks offers but I appreciate a straw with
whatever fountain drink I get at whatever establishment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 18:43:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them
>>
>> https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
>> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
>> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
>> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
>> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
>> waters around the globe each year.
>>

>I don't partake of anything Starbucks offers but I appreciate a straw with
>whatever fountain drink I get at whatever establishment.

I believe they can make balloons of vegetables (vegetable waste) these
days. Why not straws and plastic bags as well? Totally degradable.
Edible even.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2018 9:43 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
>> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
>> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
>> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
>> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
>> waters around the globe each year.
>>

> I don't partake of anything Starbucks offers but I appreciate a straw with
> whatever fountain drink I get at whatever establishment.

I had lunch at some chain restaurant the other day and was surprised
to find my straw was not plastic but heavy paper. Worked just fine.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-10 8:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 7/9/2018 9:43 PM, wrote:
>> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws

>>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
>>>
>>> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
>>> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
>>> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
>>> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
>>> waters around the globe each year.
>>>

>> I don't partake of anything Starbucks offers but I appreciate a straw
>> with
>> whatever fountain drink I get at whatever establishment.

> I had lunch at some chain restaurant the other day and was surprised
> to find my straw was not plastic but heavy paper.Â* Worked just fine.

We had paper straws for many years before they started to make them out
of plastic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 8:43 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-07-10 8:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I had lunch at some chain restaurant the other day and was surprised
>> to find my straw was not plastic but heavy paper.Â* Worked just fine.
>>

> We had paper straws for many years before they started to make them out
> of plastic.

Exactly. Less plastic works for me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-10, Nancy Young > wrote:
> Exactly. Less plastic works for me.
>
> nancy

Same here. 4% of waste is a lot for just straws! Good riddance, I say!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 9:43:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > They are doing this so Gary sees no more turtles suffering from them
> >
> > https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
> > http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
> > Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
> > issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
> > by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
> > 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
> > waters around the globe each year.
> >

> I don't partake of anything Starbucks offers but I appreciate a straw with
> whatever fountain drink I get at whatever establishment.

I rarely drink anything besides water in a restaurant. If the
glass comes with a straw, the first thing I do is remove the
straw. It's just a waste for them to provide it to me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon, I remember those nasty paper straws and wooden spoons too, they were so gross. The paper would stick to your lips and collapse almost instantly, and the wooden spoons, which are still around, feel like sandpaper on your tongue. Someone has to invent a biodegradable straw.

Denise in NH.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> and the wooden spoons, which are still around, feel like sandpaper on your tongue.
> Denise in NH.

Those wooden spoons always came with a tiny cup of ice cream. I
remember those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 7:47:54 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 7/10/2018 8:43 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2018-07-10 8:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> I had lunch at some chain restaurant the other day and was surprised
> >> to find my straw was not plastic but heavy paper.Â* Worked just fine.
> >>

> > We had paper straws for many years before they started to make them out
> > of plastic.

> Exactly. Less plastic works for me.
>
> Nancy

I'm fine with a paper straw.

I've got three or four insulated plastic glasses I got at Dollar Tree
a few years ago. Each of them came with a plastic straw that has a
bulge near the bottom and that end goes into the glass. The lid screws
on and the straw will not come out due to the slight bulge. Works great
and I'm never searching for a straw.

A super long handled 'straw brush' does a great job of washing that tube,
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 08:22:04 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 7/9/2018 9:43 PM, wrote:
>> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62722...plastic-straws
>>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...709-story.html
>>> Though plastic drinking straws have become one of the more high-profile
>>> issues environmentally, they make up only about 4% of the plastic trash
>>> by number of pieces, and far less by weight. Straws add up to about
>>> 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in
>>> waters around the globe each year.
>>>

>> I don't partake of anything Starbucks offers but I appreciate a straw with
>> whatever fountain drink I get at whatever establishment.

>I had lunch at some chain restaurant the other day and was surprised
>to find my straw was not plastic but heavy paper. Worked just fine.
>
>nancy

Growing up all straws were paper. Actually safetywise paper straws
are mush better, same as how some lollypops have paper sticks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ben Oliver wrote:
>On 2018-07-10, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Exactly. Less plastic works for me.

>Same here. 4% of waste is a lot for just straws! Good riddance, I say!

The last time I drank from a straw I was 4-5 years old and it was a
paper straw, somehow chocolate milk tasted better through a Roy Rogers
straw. I don't do fast food so I've never tried a plastic straw, and
I've never done a 2ni or any bar drink through a straw... no barmaid
has ever brought me a straw with my shot of vodka or pitcher of
brewski.

I don't order bar drinks that come with a straw, if a bar drink comes
with a straw it's one of those sweet fruity drinks typically offered
at *** bars... I've never seen men at a bar sucking their drink
through a straw, real men don't use straws... however faggots will
suck anything/anyone, they don't even need a name.

Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up thirsty and only a can
of gingerale will do, no straw, straight from the can... there's
always a few cans of gingerale in the fridge, for middle of the night
thirst quenchers.

Only time I used a plastic straw it was a ballpoint pen barrel to
shoot spitballs at my cutsey big bosomed 7th grade teacher's butt.
Wasn't til many years later I learned that she knew if was me and that
she condidered my attraction to her voluptuousness a complement but
she was already taken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Ball point pens were slow off the start and were very expensive in the
>>> 1950s. When I was in elementary school we had to learn to write with
>>> stick pens. Once we demonstrated mastery of that we could use fountain
>>> pens, and we used them right through high school. By the time I got to
>>> university Bic pens were cheap.

>> Just the opposite in the US, we learned to write long hand with
>> fountain pens. When the first ballpoints arrived (Ballerina) they
>> were much less expensive than fountain pens. The least expensive
>> fountain pens then cost about $4, Esterbrook. The first ballpoints
>> cost about 25¢, however they were not yet perfected, they were very
>> messy as they leaked and their greasy ink took forever to dry.

> I loved having a fountain pen. I had no need for it for school but
> kept one anyway. I always filled it with peacock blue ink. I felt so
> 'smart'
> Janet US

I have the Parker fountain pen my Mother bought for me when I passed the
11+ exam to go to grammar school. I also have a bottle of ink that is
over 50 years old and is still OK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Ben Oliver wrote:
>> On 2018-07-10, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Exactly. Less plastic works for me.

>> Same here. 4% of waste is a lot for just straws! Good riddance, I say!

> The last time I drank from a straw I was 4-5 years old and it was a
> paper straw, somehow chocolate milk tasted better through a Roy Rogers
> straw. I don't do fast food so I've never tried a plastic straw, and
> I've never done a 2ni or any bar drink through a straw... no barmaid
> has ever brought me a straw with my shot of vodka or pitcher of
> brewski.
>
> I don't order bar drinks that come with a straw, if a bar drink comes
> with a straw it's one of those sweet fruity drinks typically offered
> at *** bars... I've never seen men at a bar sucking their drink
> through a straw, real men don't use straws... however faggots will
> suck anything/anyone, they don't even need a name.
>
> Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up thirsty and only a can
> of gingerale will do, no straw, straight from the can... there's
> always a few cans of gingerale in the fridge, for middle of the night
> thirst quenchers.
>
> Only time I used a plastic straw it was a ballpoint pen barrel to
> shoot spitballs at my cutsey big bosomed 7th grade teacher's butt.
> Wasn't til many years later I learned that she knew if was me and that
> she condidered my attraction to her voluptuousness a complement but
> she was already taken.

Popeye, yoose sure knows everything about dem faggots and wimmens too.

Yoose the greatest nun humping SOB *ever*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Ball point pens were slow off the start and were very expensive in the
>>> 1950s. When I was in elementary school we had to learn to write with
>>> stick pens. Once we demonstrated mastery of that we could use fountain
>>> pens, and we used them right through high school. By the time I got to
>>> university Bic pens were cheap.

>> Just the opposite in the US, we learned to write long hand with
>> fountain pens. When the first ballpoints arrived (Ballerina) they
>> were much less expensive than fountain pens. The least expensive
>> fountain pens then cost about $4, Esterbrook. The first ballpoints
>> cost about 25¢, however they were not yet perfected, they were very
>> messy as they leaked and their greasy ink took forever to dry.

> I loved having a fountain pen. I had no need for it for school but
> kept one anyway. I always filled it with peacock blue ink. I felt so
> 'smart'
> Janet US

Bet yoose can't guess what popeye filled his with!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >Just the opposite in the US, we learned to write long hand with
>> >fountain pens. When the first ballpoints arrived (Ballerina) they
>> >were much less expensive than fountain pens. The least expensive
>> >fountain pens then cost about $4, Esterbrook. The first ballpoints
>> >cost about 25¢, however they were not yet perfected, they were very
>> >messy as they leaked and their greasy ink took forever to dry.

>> I loved having a fountain pen. I had no need for it for school but
>> kept one anyway. I always filled it with peacock blue ink. I felt so
>> 'smart'

>Sheaffer Peacock Blue is my favorite ink;; when Sheaffer moved production to
>Slovenia and changed the formula and well bottle, I bought a lifetime supply
>of the old stock. Peackock, Noodler's Legal Lapis (permanent on paper, good
>for check writing) and Waterman's Florida Blue are the only inks I use; but
>Peacock is my favorite among them.

and my desk drawer has the ink stains to show for it )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-10 7:45 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 23:22:17 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>>> I loved having a fountain pen. I had no need for it for school but
>>> kept one anyway. I always filled it with peacock blue ink. I felt so
>>> 'smart'

>> Sheaffer Peacock Blue is my favorite ink;; when Sheaffer moved production to
>> Slovenia and changed the formula and well bottle, I bought a lifetime supply
>> of the old stock. Peackock, Noodler's Legal Lapis (permanent on paper, good
>> for check writing) and Waterman's Florida Blue are the only inks I use; but
>> Peacock is my favorite among them.

> and my desk drawer has the ink stains to show for it )

I was just thinking about the stereotypical nerd wear of the 40s and
early 70s.... the pocket protector.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 4:50 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I loved having a fountain pen. I had no need for it for school but
> kept one anyway. I always filled it with peacock blue ink. I felt so
> 'smart'

Still a lot of us, around. Shelly is not the only fountain-pen
aficionado. I'm currently learning copperplate using dip pens.

I'm learning basic calligraphy cuz they stopped teaching kids in CA (my
GD's!) "cursive" which I learned in grade school! Weather, or not, I
can convince my GD's to learn SOME form of cursive remains to be seen. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Ball point pens were slow off the start and were very expensive in the
>>>1950s. When I was in elementary school we had to learn to write with
>>>stick pens. Once we demonstrated mastery of that we could use fountain
>>>pens, and we used them right through high school. By the time I got to
>>>university Bic pens were cheap.

>>Just the opposite in the US, we learned to write long hand with
>>fountain pens. When the first ballpoints arrived (Ballerina) they
>>were much less expensive than fountain pens. The least expensive
>>fountain pens then cost about $4, Esterbrook. The first ballpoints
>>cost about 25¢, however they were not yet perfected, they were very
>>messy as they leaked and their greasy ink took forever to dry.

>I loved having a fountain pen. I had no need for it for school but
>kept one anyway. I always filled it with peacock blue ink. I felt so
>'smart'
>Janet US

Penmart collects fountain pens, I have hundreds. I like several inks,
I like Mont Blanc emerald green best.
http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/colle...tle-50-ml.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 8:13 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 7/10/2018 4:50 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I loved having a fountain pen.Â* I had no need for it for school but
>> kept one anyway.Â* I always filled it with peacock blue ink.Â* I felt so
>> 'smart'

> Still a lot of us, around.Â* Shelly is not the only fountain-pen
> aficionado.Â* I'm currently learning copperplate using dip pens.Â*
>
> I'm learning basic calligraphy cuz they stopped teaching kids in CA (my
> GD's!) "cursive" which I learned in grade school!Â* Weather, or not, I
> can convince my GD's to learn SOME form of cursive remains to be seen.Â* 8|
>
> nb

Copperplate? Sounds like you're teaching them to etch in metal with a
hot electric engraving tool.

Seriously, you don't have to learn calligraphy or use a fountain pen
(they are fun, though!) to teach your grandaughters to write in cursive.

Is there a reason given they've stopped teaching cursive? I'm guessing
it has something to do with computers, email and texting and oh, no need
for writing letters in a fancy hand anymore. Sad but true.

I do still send hand written letters or cards occasionally. But they
don't have to be perfect. Because of my mish-mash of schools my
penmanship evolved into a half cursive/half print. I'm not worried
about it being pretty. It's legible.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 7:22 PM, l not -l wrote:

> Sheaffer Peacock Blue is my favorite ink;; when Sheaffer moved production to
> Slovenia and changed the formula and well bottle, I bought a lifetime supply
> of the old stock. Peackock, Noodler's Legal Lapis (permanent on paper, good
> for check writing) and Waterman's Florida Blue are the only inks I use; but
> Peacock is my favorite among them.

I like Peacock too. I have little reason to write any more though. I
still write an occasional letter to a friend, but mostly email. I sign
maybe a dozen checks off the printer in a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2018 7:41 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 4:35:46 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> Here's a picture of the tumblers with that straw with the bulge.

https://s22.postimg.cc/rao7gija9/Insulated_Tumbler.jpg

Those would have been perfect. I should have looked at the
dollar store, apparently.

nancy