Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Starbucks to eliminate plastic straws

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 11:57:43 AM UTC-10, wrote:

> I was very unimpressed with the green bean casserole as well. If I never
> have it again it won't be too soon.

It seems that for many folks, a party wouldn't be a party without this dish! Stranger things have happened, I suppose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> It's from eating all that great food from the past, tuna casseroles,
>>> green
>>> bean casseroles, fish sticks, Jell-O salads, Spam, Potted Meat, boxed
>>> pizza
>>> mix, Chef Boyardee, McDonald's and so on. ;-)

>> heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
>> green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
>> still kicking too. :-D

> Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the old
> days.
>
> Cheri
>
> ===
>
> Happy belated birthday, Cheri. I hope you had a really good one)

I did Ophelia, thanks.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT

I wish I could remember where I got my straw brush but it's much longer
than these. Mine is about 12 inches long and has a plastic handle but
these should work just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 2:37 AM, Lesmond wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:35:44 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/10/2018 12:48 PM, wrote:

>>> A super long handled 'straw brush' does a great job of washing that tube,
>>> too.

>> I have never seen those. Would make me feel better about those
>> fancy crazy straws people have.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT

I should have assumed something like that existed, cool.

A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
taken up residence. Heh.

Stuff of my nightmares.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2018 2:12 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> It's from eating all that great food from the past, tuna casseroles,
>>> green
>>> bean casseroles, fish sticks, Jell-O salads, Spam, Potted Meat, boxed
>>> pizza
>>> mix, Chef Boyardee, McDonald's and so on. ;-)

>> heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
>> green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
>> still kicking too.* :-D

> Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the
> old days.
>
> Cheri

Happy belated birthday, Cheri!

I still have Mom's hand-written copy of the green bean casserole
"recipe" taped inside a kitchen cabinet door. She put it there I don't
know how many years ago so I see it any time I open that cabinet.
I've never made it; I don't recall her ever making it either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Wed 11 Jul 2018 11:01:35a, notbob told us...
>
>> On 7/11/2018 11:57 AM, graham wrote:
>>
>>> Furthermore, we were taught how to hold a pen or pencil. Some of
>>> the cumbersome ways kids handle them these days is testimony to
>>> falling standards.

>> BUT! .....can you touch-type?
>>
>> nb
>>

> YEP! My dad bought an old reconditioned typewriter (Underwood, I
> think) the summer before I entered 7th grade. He bribed me into
> learning to type. To insure that I wasn't looking at the letters on
> the keyboard, he removed the letters from the keys and put a keyboard
> chart on the wall above the typewriter. By the end of summer I was
> typing 65 woreds per minute with no errors. Back in the day, typing
> on an IBM Selectric II typwriter, I could easily type 120 word per
> minute.

I took typing classes in school (yes, an IBM Selectric). Same thing,
don't look at the keys, look at the text you're transcribing. I got to
be very fast. With computers it's even easier since you can see what
you're typing as you type it. Of course making corrections is easier,
too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
> straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
> one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
> taken up residence. Heh.
>
> Stuff of my nightmares.

That's funny. I still have a pack of straws that I bought 20
years ago. I never use them but my daughter likes one to sip on
ice coffee when she visits. I keep mine in a cabinet in a plastic
bag so they stay new.

Even when the occasional plastic straw is used here, I don't
clean it. I toss it in the trashcan, not the ocean. Banning
straws is the current silliest thing I've ever heard. And it's
always, "oh those poor seaturtle victims." That's so lame. Screw
the damn sea turtles.

Long forgotten last rant was the 6-pack plastic holders and
supposedly it was killing the.....sea turtles.

Think about it.....how many sea turtles are going to get a straw
up it's nostril.
The ones you find just might be coke heads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:55:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>On 7/13/2018 2:37 AM, Lesmond wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:35:44 -0400, Nancy Young
>> wrote:

>>> I have never seen those. Would make me feel better about those
>>> fancy crazy straws people have.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
>> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT

>I should have assumed something like that existed, cool.
>
>A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>taken up residence. Heh.
>
>Stuff of my nightmares.

Agggguuuuuuurrrggghhhh!

My husband grew up in Florida and had a scorpion in his snorkel once. Yes,
he found out the hard way.

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >I have never seen those. Would make me feel better about those
>> >fancy crazy straws people have.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
>> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT
>>

>I wish I could remember where I got my straw brush but it's much longer
>than these. Mine is about 12 inches long and has a plastic handle but
>these should work just fine.

Yeah, the brush part on the ones I have is longer, but it was late and I was
lazy...

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 7/11/2018 10:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-07-11 9:35 AM, wrote:
>>>>
>>> To be honest, I don't think they would have allowed open ink pots in
>>> any classroom when I was child, even all the way to senior high school.
>>> Ruined clothes, ink fights, spilled ink on the floor.Â* Nope, definitely
>>> no open ink pots in a classroom.

>> True. Teachers and janitors were probably happy to see them gone. I
>> once got into trouble for a stupid prank. There was a cute girl seated
>> in front of me and her pig tails were often resting on my desk.
>> Opportunity knocks once but temptation leans on the door bell. I
>> dipped the end of her right pigtail into my ink pot. I don't think she
>> realized that but she probably sensed that something was a miss and
>> jerked her head forward, ripping her pig tail from my 10 year old
>> fingers and onto her immaculately clean white blouse.
>>

> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
> urban legend.Â* Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
> the snow...
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> I had my plait dipped in ink!Â* Wrecked the ribbon!

Okay, I believe you and Dave! I think I first read about the idea in
the book Tomy Sawyer (written by Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens). Maybe
that's where all those boys got the idea. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2018 2:12 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> heheh...I've been there, done that with all above except for the
>>> green bean casserole. The menu seems to work well enough. I'm
>>> still kicking too. :-D

>> Yep, just turned 72 and still like a whole lot of those foods from the
>> old days.
>>
>> Cheri

> Happy belated birthday, Cheri!
>
> I still have Mom's hand-written copy of the green bean casserole "recipe"
> taped inside a kitchen cabinet door. She put it there I don't know how
> many years ago so I see it any time I open that cabinet. I've never
> made it; I don't recall her ever making it either.
>
> Jill

Thanks Jill, we like the green bean casserole on holidays, but not something
I really make too much any other time.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2018 9:17 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>>
>> Things must have changed in the generation between you and me.* I learned
>> to write cursive with a pencil.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Same here, a pencil.
>
> Cheri

What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten? I didn't
think about it at the time because I didn't know any better. In
hindsight it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to hold
correctly. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lesmond" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:55:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>On 7/13/2018 2:37 AM, Lesmond wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
>>> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT

>>I should have assumed something like that existed, cool.
>>
>>A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>>straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>>one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>>taken up residence. Heh.
>>
>>Stuff of my nightmares.

> Agggguuuuuuurrrggghhhh!
>
> My husband grew up in Florida and had a scorpion in his snorkel once.
> Yes,
> he found out the hard way.

Damn, that trumps a fly in my iced tea finding the hard way too. ACCCCCK.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/11/2018 9:17 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Things must have changed in the generation between you and me. I learned
>>> to write cursive with a pencil.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Same here, a pencil.
>>
>> Cheri

> What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten? I didn't
> think about it at the time because I didn't know any better. In hindsight
> it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to hold correctly.
> <shrug>
>
> Jill

Yes, I remember those, back when some things were still supplied to
students.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 12:27 PM, Lesmond wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:55:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>> straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>> one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>> taken up residence. Heh.
>>
>> Stuff of my nightmares.

> Agggguuuuuuurrrggghhhh!
>
> My husband grew up in Florida and had a scorpion in his snorkel once. Yes,
> he found out the hard way.

NO! Ouch. Yikes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 12:37 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

>>> True. Teachers and janitors were probably happy to see them gone. I
>>> once got into trouble for a stupid prank. There was a cute girl
>>> seated in front of me and her pig tails were often resting on my
>>> desk. Opportunity knocks once but temptation leans on the door bell.
>>> I dipped the end of her right pigtail into my ink pot. I don't think
>>> she realized that but she probably sensed that something was a miss
>>> and jerked her head forward, ripping her pig tail from my 10 year old
>>> fingers and onto her immaculately clean white blouse.
>>>

>> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
>> urban legend.* Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways
>> in the snow...
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I had my plait dipped in ink!* Wrecked the ribbon!

> There's a reason why it has been featured so many times because I'm sure
> it happened a lot in bygone ages.
>
> Cheri

Tom Sawyer! He dipped Becky Thatcher's braid in an ink pot.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Lesmond" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:55:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>On 7/13/2018 2:37 AM, Lesmond wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
>>> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT

>>I should have assumed something like that existed, cool.
>>
>>A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>>straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>>one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>>taken up residence. Heh.
>>
>>Stuff of my nightmares.

> Agggguuuuuuurrrggghhhh!
>
> My husband grew up in Florida and had a scorpion in his snorkel once. Yes,
> he found out the hard way.

Damn, that trumps a fly in my iced tea finding the hard way too. ACCCCCK.

Cheri

==

But, but, but it was good protein ... ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 7/13/2018 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 7/11/2018 10:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-07-11 9:35 AM, wrote:
>>>>
>>> To be honest, I don't think they would have allowed open ink pots in
>>> any classroom when I was child, even all the way to senior high school.
>>> Ruined clothes, ink fights, spilled ink on the floor. Nope, definitely
>>> no open ink pots in a classroom.

>> True. Teachers and janitors were probably happy to see them gone. I
>> once got into trouble for a stupid prank. There was a cute girl seated
>> in front of me and her pig tails were often resting on my desk.
>> Opportunity knocks once but temptation leans on the door bell. I
>> dipped the end of her right pigtail into my ink pot. I don't think she
>> realized that but she probably sensed that something was a miss and
>> jerked her head forward, ripping her pig tail from my 10 year old
>> fingers and onto her immaculately clean white blouse.
>>

> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
> urban legend. Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
> the snow...
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> I had my plait dipped in ink! Wrecked the ribbon!

Okay, I believe you and Dave! I think I first read about the idea in
the book Tomy Sawyer (written by Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens). Maybe
that's where all those boys got the idea. LOL

Jill

==

Dunno but my mother was NOT best pleased!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> On 7/11/2018 10:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-07-11 9:35 AM, wrote:
>>>>
>>> To be honest, I don't think they would have allowed open ink pots in
>>> any classroom when I was child, even all the way to senior high school.
>>> Ruined clothes, ink fights, spilled ink on the floor. Nope, definitely
>>> no open ink pots in a classroom.

>> True. Teachers and janitors were probably happy to see them gone. I once
>> got into trouble for a stupid prank. There was a cute girl seated in
>> front of me and her pig tails were often resting on my desk. Opportunity
>> knocks once but temptation leans on the door bell. I dipped the end of
>> her right pigtail into my ink pot. I don't think she realized that but
>> she probably sensed that something was a miss and jerked her head
>> forward, ripping her pig tail from my 10 year old fingers and onto her
>> immaculately clean white blouse.
>>

> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
> urban legend. Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
> the snow...
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> I had my plait dipped in ink! Wrecked the ribbon!

There's a reason why it has been featured so many times because I'm sure it
happened a lot in bygone ages.

Cheri

==

It would have to be because, so far as I know, school desks don't have open
ink wells now)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> Same here, a pencil.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten? I didn't
> > think about it at the time because I didn't know any better. In hindsight
> > it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to hold correctly.
> > <shrug>
> >
> > Jill

> Yes, I remember those, back when some things were still supplied to
> students.

Yes...and the lined notebooks with the dotted lines in between
the solid lines so you line up Capital letters and small letters
properly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2018 12:37 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
>>> urban legend. Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
>>> the snow...
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I had my plait dipped in ink! Wrecked the ribbon!

>> There's a reason why it has been featured so many times because I'm sure
>> it happened a lot in bygone ages.
>>
>> Cheri

> Tom Sawyer! He dipped Becky Thatcher's braid in an ink pot.
>
> Jill

I missed the ink pots, none of them in the desks at the one room school I
attended. I also don't remember any of the girls wearing braids where I was.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:43:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/11/2018 2:20 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> BUT! .....can you touch-type?
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> YEP! My dad bought an old reconditioned typewriter (Underwood, I
>> think) the summer before I entered 7th grade. He bribed me into
>> learning to type. To insure that I wasn't looking at the letters on
>> the keyboard, he removed the letters from the keys and put a keyboard
>> chart on the wall above the typewriter. By the end of summer I was
>> typing 65 woreds per minute with no errors. Back in the day, typing
>> on an IBM Selectric II typwriter, I could easily type 120 word per
>> minute.
>>

>I took typing classes in school (yes, an IBM Selectric). Same thing,
>don't look at the keys, look at the text you're transcribing. I got to
>be very fast. With computers it's even easier since you can see what
>you're typing as you type it. Of course making corrections is easier,
>too.
>
>Jill

I took a summer course between my 8th grade and freshman year. It
cost me $10. I used my own money. We learned to type on the old cast
iron machines where missing a key could rip your cuticle. We learned
to make triplicate copies and correct errors with a typing eraser with
attached brush. No looking at the keys. I still have the
transcription books. They are nice to have. The number of strokes
are written on the end of each line so you can time yourself. I used
to use the books when I was brushing up to get summer jobs.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 12:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Same here, a pencil.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten?* I
>> didn't think about it at the time because I didn't know any better.
>> In hindsight it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to
>> hold correctly. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, I remember those, back when some things were still supplied to
> students.
>
> Cheri

I'm a bit younger than you (I'll be 58 on the 26th) but we grew up in an
era when schools were properly funded so teachers didn't have to dip
into their own pockets to buy basic supplies for their classrooms.

Not that parents didn't buy school supplies. At about age 7 or 8 my
parents had to buy three ring binders and ruled (not "college" ruled)
paper to take to school. Later those became spiral notebooks for every
subject. I remember I had a pencil box with a sharpener. But there was
never a shortage of books or other supplies in the classroom.

I still can't figure out why fat pencils would have made it easier for
little hands at age 5 to learn how to print. But learn I did, so I
guess it worked.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:34:19 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/13/2018 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

>>> True. Teachers and janitors were probably happy to see them gone. I
>>> once got into trouble for a stupid prank. There was a cute girl seated
>>> in front of me and her pig tails were often resting on my desk.
>>> Opportunity knocks once but temptation leans on the door bell. I
>>> dipped the end of her right pigtail into my ink pot. I don't think she
>>> realized that but she probably sensed that something was a miss and
>>> jerked her head forward, ripping her pig tail from my 10 year old
>>> fingers and onto her immaculately clean white blouse.
>>>

>> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
>> urban legend.* Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
>> the snow...
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I had my plait dipped in ink!* Wrecked the ribbon!
>>

>Okay, I believe you and Dave! I think I first read about the idea in
>the book Tomy Sawyer (written by Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens). Maybe
>that's where all those boys got the idea. LOL
>
>Jill

I think a pigtail hanging right in front of an open bottle of ink is
self explanatory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2018 12:37 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
>>> urban legend. Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
>>> the snow...
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I had my plait dipped in ink! Wrecked the ribbon!

>> There's a reason why it has been featured so many times because I'm sure
>> it happened a lot in bygone ages.
>>
>> Cheri

> Tom Sawyer! He dipped Becky Thatcher's braid in an ink pot.
>
> Jill

I missed the ink pots, none of them in the desks at the one room school I
attended. I also don't remember any of the girls wearing braids where I was.

Cheri

==

The 'inkwells' as we called them were sunk into the right side top edge of
the desk! Can't remember what happened to left handers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 11:37:40 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten? I didn't
> think about it at the time because I didn't know any better. In
> hindsight it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to hold
> correctly. <shrug>
>
> Jill

I remember the list of items we were supposed to bring to school in the
first grade. One was those fat pencils and the theory was they were
easy to hold and control than a regular pencil. I found them quite
awkward and immediately switched to a no. 2 pencil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 1:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:34:19 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2018 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I always thought the dipping of a girl's pigtail in an ink pot was an
>>> urban legend.Â* Kind of like my dad walking uphill to school both ways in
>>> the snow...
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I had my plait dipped in ink!Â* Wrecked the ribbon!
>>>

>> Okay, I believe you and Dave! I think I first read about the idea in
>> the book Tomy Sawyer (written by Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens). Maybe
>> that's where all those boys got the idea. LOL
>>
>> Jill

> I think a pigtail hanging right in front of an open bottle of ink is
> self explanatory

A temptation. And the girls were taught to keep their pigtails/plaints
over the back of their shoulders rather than hanging down the front of
their blouse.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 11:35 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:43:04 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/11/2018 2:20 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Wed 11 Jul 2018 11:01:35a, notbob told us...

>>> YEP! My dad bought an old reconditioned typewriter (Underwood, I
>>> think) the summer before I entered 7th grade. He bribed me into
>>> learning to type. To insure that I wasn't looking at the letters on
>>> the keyboard, he removed the letters from the keys and put a keyboard
>>> chart on the wall above the typewriter. By the end of summer I was
>>> typing 65 woreds per minute with no errors. Back in the day, typing
>>> on an IBM Selectric II typwriter, I could easily type 120 word per
>>> minute.
>>>

>> I took typing classes in school (yes, an IBM Selectric). Same thing,
>> don't look at the keys, look at the text you're transcribing. I got to
>> be very fast. With computers it's even easier since you can see what
>> you're typing as you type it. Of course making corrections is easier,
>> too.
>>
>> Jill

> I took a summer course between my 8th grade and freshman year. It
> cost me $10. I used my own money. We learned to type on the old cast
> iron machines where missing a key could rip your cuticle. We learned
> to make triplicate copies and correct errors with a typing eraser with
> attached brush. No looking at the keys. I still have the
> transcription books. They are nice to have. The number of strokes
> are written on the end of each line so you can time yourself. I used
> to use the books when I was brushing up to get summer jobs.
> Janet US

My Ph.D thesis was typed (by the dept secretary) on a "percussion"
typewriter as she disliked the Selectric. One top copy and 3 carbons!
Xerox machines in those days rarely produced pristine copies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Lesmond" > wrote in message

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR

>>>I should have assumed something like that existed, cool.
>>>
>>>A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>>>straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>>>one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>>>taken up residence. Heh.
>>>
>>>Stuff of my nightmares.

>> Agggguuuuuuurrrggghhhh!
>>
>> My husband grew up in Florida and had a scorpion in his snorkel once.
>> Yes,
>> he found out the hard way.

> Damn, that trumps a fly in my iced tea finding the hard way too. ACCCCCK.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> But, but, but it was good protein ... ;p

Noooooooooooo, I spat it out!!! Yuck, it's still disgusting to me even
though it happened at least 30 years ago. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:

>> > What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten? I
>> > didn't
>> > think about it at the time because I didn't know any better. In
>> > hindsight
>> > it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to hold correctly.
>> > <shrug>
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Yes, I remember those, back when some things were still supplied to
>> students.

> Yes...and the lined notebooks with the dotted lines in between
> the solid lines so you line up Capital letters and small letters
> properly.

For sure, on that tan, sort of thick paper.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2018 12:40 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten? I didn't
>>> think about it at the time because I didn't know any better. In
>>> hindsight it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to hold
>>> correctly. <shrug>
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Yes, I remember those, back when some things were still supplied to
>> students.
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm a bit younger than you (I'll be 58 on the 26th) but we grew up in an
> era when schools were properly funded so teachers didn't have to dip into
> their own pockets to buy basic supplies for their classrooms.
>
> Not that parents didn't buy school supplies. At about age 7 or 8 my
> parents had to buy three ring binders and ruled (not "college" ruled)
> paper to take to school. Later those became spiral notebooks for every
> subject. I remember I had a pencil box with a sharpener. But there was
> never a shortage of books or other supplies in the classroom.
>
> I still can't figure out why fat pencils would have made it easier for
> little hands at age 5 to learn how to print. But learn I did, so I guess
> it worked.
>
> Jill

Actually Jill, you are a lot younger than me, we always got some school
things from our parents (to make going back to school in September,
exciting) but the majority of paper etc., was supplied.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 11:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/13/2018 12:40 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> What about those big fat pencils they gave us in Kindergarten?* I
>>> didn't think about it at the time because I didn't know any better.
>>> In hindsight it seems like they must be harder for little fingers to
>>> hold correctly. <shrug>
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Yes, I remember those, back when some things were still supplied to
>> students.
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm a bit younger than you (I'll be 58 on the 26th) but we grew up in an
> era when schools were properly funded so teachers didn't have to dip
> into their own pockets to buy basic supplies for their classrooms.
>
> Not that parents didn't buy school supplies.* At about age 7 or 8 my
> parents had to buy three ring binders and ruled (not "college" ruled)
> paper to take to school.* Later those became spiral notebooks for every
> subject.* I remember I had a pencil box with a sharpener.* But there was
> never a shortage of books or other supplies in the classroom.
>
> I still can't figure out why fat pencils would have made it easier for
> little hands at age 5 to learn how to print.* But learn I did, so I
> guess it worked.
>
> Jill

The first time I had to buy stationery was when I went to Uni. My
parents didn't even have to buy pens and pencils until I went to grammar
school at 11.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 12:19 PM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>> straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>> one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>> taken up residence. Heh.
>>
>> Stuff of my nightmares.

> That's funny. I still have a pack of straws that I bought 20
> years ago. I never use them but my daughter likes one to sip on
> ice coffee when she visits. I keep mine in a cabinet in a plastic
> bag so they stay new.
>
> Even when the occasional plastic straw is used here, I don't
> clean it. I toss it in the trashcan, not the ocean. Banning
> straws is the current silliest thing I've ever heard. And it's
> always, "oh those poor seaturtle victims." That's so lame. Screw
> the damn sea turtles.
>
> Long forgotten last rant was the 6-pack plastic holders and
> supposedly it was killing the.....sea turtles.

No, those six-pack plastic canned drink ring holders were discarded and
wound up in the ocean wrapped around the necks of birds that were trying
to *eat* the baby sea turtles. Why do they wind up in the ocean?

Have you no sense of responsiblity? We don't need straws in order to
drink beverages, hot or cold. Children should be able to drink from a
cup or a glass without a straw. I know they can.

Here's a memory of mine. It was around 1964. I was at the next door
neighbor's house with my Mom while she was visiting her friend. Mom's
friend Peggy had a daughter (Karen). I was four, she was all of six or
seven. Karen poured us both a glass of juice. And she told me, "Don't
ever try to take a drink when you're walking down the stairs." (That's
where our mother's were, watching TV in the basement family room.)

It's funny to think about a six or 7 year old teaching me how not to
spill a glass of juice. But there were no straws. No plastic caps on
top. Just plastic tumblers filled with (IIRC) grape juice. We managed
without straws. Didn't spill them, either. It's a good rule not to
drink and walk down stairs at the same time. LOL

> Think about it.....how many sea turtles are going to get a straw
> up it's nostril.

You seem to be obsessed with sea turtles and straws and nostrils.

To me, straws have always been unnecessary. Since, apparently, age 4.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 12:27 PM, Lesmond wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:55:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2018 2:37 AM, Lesmond wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Drinki...hie/dp/B01DZVR
>>> Y22/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UT

>> I should have assumed something like that existed, cool.
>>
>> A friend's husband had a bad experience, his mother would rinse
>> straws and save them. It ended badl for him one day when he used
>> one and ... how shall I say ... a straw shaped invertebrate had
>> taken up residence. Heh.
>>
>> Stuff of my nightmares.

> Agggguuuuuuurrrggghhhh!
>
> My husband grew up in Florida and had a scorpion in his snorkel once. Yes,
> he found out the hard way.

Scorpions in Florida? Sorry, but I tend to think of scorpions as SW
desert invertebrates. Are you sure you meant a scorpion?

Jill