Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Dsi1

Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.

The recipe includes:

1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce,
1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple

and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????

Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???

--
http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:51:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
>
> The recipe includes:
>
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce,
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
>
> and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
>
> Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???
>
> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I think that's the way non-Asians see soy sauce usage - it terms of very small amounts. I can't see using that small amount in any cooking. OTOH, if you're going to use it as a table condiment, that amount might work.

Most cooks on the mainland see MSG being used in small amounts - you'd think it was radioactive or something. Cooks in China and other places go hog wild with the stuff. Well, at least, I do.

We were at a warehouse store yesterday. My wife picked out a package of two large bottles of barbecue sauce. I don't use the stuff much these days but she seemed to have her heart set on it. Later on we had a kalua pork sandwich. I grabbed the two bottles, opened one, and poured it on the sandwich. It was certainly grand eating. I'm going to have to make a batch of this pork!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...a-slow-cooker/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:51:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
>
> The recipe includes:
>
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce,
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
>
> and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
>
> Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???
>
> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I think that's the way non-Asians see soy sauce usage - it terms of very
small amounts. I can't see using that small amount in any cooking. OTOH, if
you're going to use it as a table condiment, that amount might work.

Most cooks on the mainland see MSG being used in small amounts - you'd think
it was radioactive or something. Cooks in China and other places go hog wild
with the stuff. Well, at least, I do.

We were at a warehouse store yesterday. My wife picked out a package of two
large bottles of barbecue sauce. I don't use the stuff much these days but
she seemed to have her heart set on it. Later on we had a kalua pork
sandwich. I grabbed the two bottles, opened one, and poured it on the
sandwich. It was certainly grand eating. I'm going to have to make a batch
of this pork!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...a-slow-cooker/

==

That looks good)

So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)

After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy sauce by
the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any in there)

Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how to use
it.

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:53:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> That looks good)
>
> So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)
>
> After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy sauce by
> the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any in there)
>
> Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how to use
> it.
>
> Thanks

As far as MSG goes, you just have to get familiar with the taste of it and then you'll know when and how much to use. I probably use half a teaspoon in most foods. I use it exclusively when cooking, not on top of foods. If your foods have a lot of caramelized onions, or mushrooms, or cooked celery, or a good amount of soy sauce, you use less. I typically use about half a teaspoon in most dishes. Use less if if you're just cooking for two.

The important part is to gain familiarity the taste of MSG and you'll then you'll know how to use it. I can't if any of this is any help since it's like trying to explain how and when to use salt. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:53:28 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:51:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
>>
>> The recipe includes:
>>
>> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce,
>> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
>>
>> and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
>>
>> Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???
>>
>> --
>> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>I think that's the way non-Asians see soy sauce usage - it terms of very
>small amounts.

Racially biased nonsense. Next.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:27:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:53:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> That looks good)
>>
>> So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)
>>
>> After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy sauce by
>> the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any in there)
>>
>> Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how to use
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks

>As far as MSG goes, you just have to get familiar with the taste of it and then you'll know when and how much to use. I probably use half a teaspoon in most foods.

"Cooks in China and other places go hog wild with the stuff. Well, at
least, I do." (dsi1)

Half a teaspoon is going hog wild? And the nonsense keeps coming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:53:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> That looks good)
>>
>> So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)
>>
>> After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy sauce by
>> the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any in there)
>>
>> Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how to use
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks

>As far as MSG goes, you just have to get familiar with the taste of it and then you'll know when and how much to use. I probably use half a teaspoon in most foods. I use it exclusively when cooking, not on top of foods. If your foods have a lot of caramelized onions, or mushrooms, or cooked celery, or a good amount of soy sauce, you use less. I typically use about half a teaspoon in most dishes. Use less if if you're just cooking for two.
>
>The important part is to gain familiarity the taste of MSG and you'll then you'll know how to use it. I can't if any of this is any help since it's like trying to explain how and when to use salt. Good luck!

MSG works best with protein rich foods; meats/eggs.... MSG allows one
to cut way back on adding salt. MSG is meant to be cooked into a
dish; soups/stews, rather than sprinkled on already cooked foods. MSG
works well sprinkled on raw meats and then cooked.... works well in
marinades/gravies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
> The recipe includes:
>
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce, 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced
> pineapple
>
> and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
>
> Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???

It's generally used in small amounts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:53:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> That looks good)
>
> So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)
>
> After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy sauce
> by
> the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any in there)
>
> Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how to use
> it.
>
> Thanks

As far as MSG goes, you just have to get familiar with the taste of it and
then you'll know when and how much to use. I probably use half a teaspoon in
most foods. I use it exclusively when cooking, not on top of foods. If your
foods have a lot of caramelized onions, or mushrooms, or cooked celery, or a
good amount of soy sauce, you use less. I typically use about half a
teaspoon in most dishes. Use less if if you're just cooking for two.

The important part is to gain familiarity the taste of MSG and you'll then
you'll know how to use it. I can't if any of this is any help since it's
like trying to explain how and when to use salt. Good luck!

==

Thanks I do use it but only by pinches. I have always been curious to
know how others used it

I have never used it on top of food, always while cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
> The recipe includes:
>
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce, 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced
> pineapple
>
> and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
>
> Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???

It's generally used in small amounts.

===

ONE teaspoon?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:53:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> That looks good)
>>
>> So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)
>>
>> After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy sauce
>> by
>> the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any in there)
>>
>> Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how to
>> use
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks

>As far as MSG goes, you just have to get familiar with the taste of it and
>then you'll know when and how much to use. I probably use half a teaspoon
>in most foods. I use it exclusively when cooking, not on top of foods. If
>your foods have a lot of caramelized onions, or mushrooms, or cooked
>celery, or a good amount of soy sauce, you use less. I typically use about
>half a teaspoon in most dishes. Use less if if you're just cooking for two.
>
>The important part is to gain familiarity the taste of MSG and you'll then
>you'll know how to use it. I can't if any of this is any help since it's
>like trying to explain how and when to use salt. Good luck!

MSG works best with protein rich foods; meats/eggs.... MSG allows one
to cut way back on adding salt. MSG is meant to be cooked into a
dish; soups/stews, rather than sprinkled on already cooked foods. MSG
works well sprinkled on raw meats and then cooked.... works well in
marinades/gravies.

==

Thanks. It is always nice to know how others use things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
> The recipe includes:
>
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce, 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced
> pineapple
>
> and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
>
> Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???

I'd say 'typo'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:51:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
> >
> > The recipe includes:
> >
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce,
> > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> >
> > and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
> >
> > Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???
> >
> > --
> > http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I think that's the way non-Asians see soy sauce usage - it terms of
> very small amounts. I can't see using that small amount in any
> cooking. OTOH, if you're going to use it as a table condiment, that
> amount might work.
>
> Most cooks on the mainland see MSG being used in small amounts -
> you'd think it was radioactive or something. Cooks in China and other
> places go hog wild with the stuff. Well, at least, I do.
>
> We were at a warehouse store yesterday. My wife picked out a package
> of two large bottles of barbecue sauce. I don't use the stuff much
> these days but she seemed to have her heart set on it. Later on we
> had a kalua pork sandwich. I grabbed the two bottles, opened one, and
> poured it on the sandwich. It was certainly grand eating. I'm going
> to have to make a batch of this pork!
>
> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...a-slow-cooker/
>
> ==
>
> That looks good)
>
> So, the name 'Hawaiian Chicken' is not known to you?)
>
> After following the recipes I have been using I have been using soy
> sauce by the cup NOT the teaspoon lol he wouldn't know there was any
> in there)
>
> Please talk to me about MSG. I have some but don't really know how
> to use it.
>
> Thanks

Umm, that's a very normal Crockpot pulled pork there. In the south,
once ready, we add BBQ sauce to it. The recipe and directions have
been posted many times by me. The only thing 'Hawaiian' here is the
sea salt. Thats ok. Kalua pig is really just a pig (grin).

MSG is fairly simple for the start. In a meat dish, use it in place of
the salt called for. Maybe use a little less. Say a recipe calls for
'salt and peppering the meat', then use MSG at same or a little less
for the salt. Its lower sodium than salt and is often in Ja[an
combined with salt to reduce the sodium load of a dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> > Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
> > The recipe includes:
> >
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce, 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced
> > pineapple
> >
> > and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
> >
> > Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???

> I'd say 'typo'.

Agree.

For that much bbq sauce (18oz) and pineapple (15oz), one tsp of
soy sauce would be completely worthless and not missed if
ignored. I would combine the first two then play with the
soy...add some, taste, add more, taste. Certainly lots more than
1 tsp.

That's a lot of flavoring for the chicken too. I would think
those amounts would work for quite a few pounds of chicken, more
than would fit into even the largest slow cooker.

I would pulse that sauce combo and just brush on baked chicken
once in the beginning and once again when you turn it over
halfway through the chicken, then maybe a final brush once it
done. Or if cooked in a slow cooker, use way less than that
recipe. Save the rest for another few times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > Just seen a recipe for slow cooker Hawaiian chicken.
> > > The recipe includes:
> > >
> > > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce, 1 (15.25 ounce) can
> > > sliced pineapple
> > >
> > > and ONE teaspoon soy sauce????
> > >
> > > Is there any point of such a small amount of soy sauce???

> > I'd say 'typo'.

> Agree.
>
> For that much bbq sauce (18oz) and pineapple (15oz), one tsp of
> soy sauce would be completely worthless and not missed if
> ignored. I would combine the first two then play with the
> soy...add some, taste, add more, taste. Certainly lots more than
> 1 tsp.

Start with 1 TB and move up would be my guess

> That's a lot of flavoring for the chicken too. I would think
> those amounts would work for quite a few pounds of chicken, more
> than would fit into even the largest slow cooker.

Oh not so sure but then my 'momma crock' holds a whole pork shoulder
and easily 12lbs cut up chicken with room to spare.

> I would pulse that sauce combo and just brush on baked chicken
> once in the beginning and once again when you turn it over
> halfway through the chicken, then maybe a final brush once it
> done. Or if cooked in a slow cooker, use way less than that
> recipe. Save the rest for another few times.

That too would work well!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

For that much bbq sauce (18oz) and pineapple (15oz), one tsp of
soy sauce would be completely worthless and not missed if
ignored. I would combine the first two then play with the
soy...add some, taste, add more, taste. Certainly lots more than
1 tsp.

That's a lot of flavoring for the chicken too. I would think
those amounts would work for quite a few pounds of chicken, more
than would fit into even the largest slow cooker.

I would pulse that sauce combo and just brush on baked chicken
once in the beginning and once again when you turn it over
halfway through the chicken, then maybe a final brush once it
done. Or if cooked in a slow cooker, use way less than that
recipe. Save the rest for another few times.

===

This is the full recipe:

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken

3 pounds chicken breast
1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.

==

I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ===
>
> This is the full recipe:
>
> Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
>
> 3 pounds chicken breast
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> 1 teaspoon soy sauce
>
> Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
>
> ==
>
> I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and then stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes out. I have some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would like to use up both.

I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker. Cooking time will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt and liquid smoke. That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with some barbecue sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ===
>
> This is the full recipe:
>
> Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
>
> 3 pounds chicken breast
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> 1 teaspoon soy sauce
>
> Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
>
> ==
>
> I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and then
stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes out. I have
some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would like to use up both.

Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will report
back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they have more
flavour.

I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker. Cooking time
will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt and liquid smoke.
That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with some barbecue sauce.

Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce. If
he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid smoke. What
do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as well?

Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
>
> 3 pounds chicken breast
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> 1 teaspoon soy sauce
>
> Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> ==
>
> I was thinking of half to one cupful soy sauce!

Too much soy, imo. Especially a cupful.
Only 1 tsp won't be noticed if added or skipped.

Here'a tip for adding things and not knowing how much
to add. I do this when mixing custom paint colors.

Pour 1/2 of your sauce in a bowl and save the other half.
Add just 1 TBS soy sauce, stir it up then taste it.
Need more? add 1 more TBS, stir then taste.
Keep going as necessary but keep track of what you add.

Once you get to a taste you like, just add same amount
to the other half then combine.
If you go too far, you have the original to bring it back
to what you liked.

Substituting thigh meat for the breast meat sounds good.
Also 4-5 hours on high sounds like overkill to me.
I would probably start with one hour on high, then
turn it down to low for an hour or so.

Hope this gives you some idea help.
Just my $2 worth.
(that's 2 cents worth adjusted for inflation)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
>
> 3 pounds chicken breast
> 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> 1 teaspoon soy sauce
>
> Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> ==
>
> I was thinking of half to one cupful soy sauce!

Too much soy, imo. Especially a cupful.
Only 1 tsp won't be noticed if added or skipped.

Here'a tip for adding things and not knowing how much
to add. I do this when mixing custom paint colors.

Pour 1/2 of your sauce in a bowl and save the other half.
Add just 1 TBS soy sauce, stir it up then taste it.
Need more? add 1 more TBS, stir then taste.
Keep going as necessary but keep track of what you add.

Once you get to a taste you like, just add same amount
to the other half then combine.
If you go too far, you have the original to bring it back
to what you liked.

Substituting thigh meat for the breast meat sounds good.
Also 4-5 hours on high sounds like overkill to me.
I would probably start with one hour on high, then
turn it down to low for an hour or so.

Hope this gives you some idea help.
Just my $2 worth.
(that's 2 cents worth adjusted for inflation)

==

It does indeed Thank you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > This is the full recipe:
> >
> > Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
> >
> > 3 pounds chicken breast
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> > 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> >
> > Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with
> > barbeque sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> > Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

> What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and
> then stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes
> out. I have some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would
> like to use up both.
>
> Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will
> report back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they
> have more flavour.
>
> I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker.
> Cooking time will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt
> and liquid smoke. That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with
> some barbecue sauce.
>
> Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce.
> If he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid
> smoke. What do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as
> well?
>
> Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

Hi Ophelia,

I think you will find a cup of soy to be overwhelmingly salty there.
DS1 may be using 'Aloha Shoyu' (which is a weaker less salty soy sauce)
and that might work.

Sadly, due to the spammers, I no longer see DS1 direct. I'll work on
that this afternoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > This is the full recipe:
> >
> > Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
> >
> > 3 pounds chicken breast
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> > 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> >
> > Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with
> > barbeque sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> > Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

> What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and
> then stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes
> out. I have some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would
> like to use up both.
>
> Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will
> report back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they
> have more flavour.
>
> I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker.
> Cooking time will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt
> and liquid smoke. That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with
> some barbecue sauce.
>
> Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce.
> If he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid
> smoke. What do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as
> well?
>
> Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

Hi Ophelia,

I think you will find a cup of soy to be overwhelmingly salty there.
DS1 may be using 'Aloha Shoyu' (which is a weaker less salty soy sauce)
and that might work.

Sadly, due to the spammers, I no longer see DS1 direct. I'll work on
that this afternoon.

==

I use one cup of soy in my mushubi and that is not too much!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > This is the full recipe:
> >
> > Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
> >
> > 3 pounds chicken breast
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> > 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> >
> > Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with
> > barbeque sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> > Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

> What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and
> then stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes
> out. I have some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would
> like to use up both.
>
> Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will
> report back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they
> have more flavour.
>
> I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker.
> Cooking time will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt
> and liquid smoke. That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with
> some barbecue sauce.
>
> Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce.
> If he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid
> smoke. What do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as
> well?
>
> Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

Hi Ophelia,

I think you will find a cup of soy to be overwhelmingly salty there.
DS1 may be using 'Aloha Shoyu' (which is a weaker less salty soy sauce)
and that might work.

Sadly, due to the spammers, I no longer see DS1 direct. I'll work on
that this afternoon.

==

I use one cup of soy in my mushubi and that is not too much!

==

Oops <Musubi>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 11:05:41 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > This is the full recipe:
> >
> > Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
> >
> > 3 pounds chicken breast
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> > 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> >
> > Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> > sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> > Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

> What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and then
> stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes out. I have
> some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would like to use up both.
>

> Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will report
> back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they have more
> flavour.
>
> I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker. Cooking time
> will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt and liquid smoke.
> That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with some barbecue sauce.
>
> Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce. If
> he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid smoke. What
> do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as well?
>
> Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

Chicken thighs should be fine. I was wondering how slow cooked chicken breasts would turn out. You can cook the pork without the liquid smoke. The only difference between kalua pork and pulled pork is liquid smoke. The old school way is to wrap the pork in ti or banana leaves before cooking.

My suggestion is that you cook the pork without the barbecue sauce. After you have removed the considerable amount of grease, shred the pork, and let it soak up the cooking liquid. Then add the barbecue sauce. You can mix it in or add it on top. I like the second option better.

Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:52:20 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and
>> then stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes
>> out. I have some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would
>> like to use up both.
>>
>> Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will
>> report back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they
>> have more flavour.
>>
>> I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker.
>> Cooking time will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt
>> and liquid smoke. That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with
>> some barbecue sauce.
>>
>> Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce.
>> If he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid
>> smoke. What do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as
>> well?
>>
>> Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

>Hi Ophelia,
>
>I think you will find a cup of soy to be overwhelmingly salty there.
>DS1 may be using 'Aloha Shoyu' (which is a weaker less salty soy sauce)
>and that might work.
>
>Sadly, due to the spammers, I no longer see DS1 direct. I'll work on
>that this afternoon.

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 11:05:41 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > This is the full recipe:
> >
> > Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
> >
> > 3 pounds chicken breast
> > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> > 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> >
> > Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> > sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> > Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

> What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and then
> stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes out. I have
> some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would like to use up
> both.
>

> Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will report
> back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they have more
> flavour.
>
> I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker. Cooking
> time
> will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt and liquid smoke.
> That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with some barbecue sauce.
>
> Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce. If
> he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid smoke.
> What
> do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as well?
>
> Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

Chicken thighs should be fine. I was wondering how slow cooked chicken
breasts would turn out.

The recipe states chicken breasts so ... I don't know

You can cook the pork without the liquid smoke. The only difference between
kalua pork and pulled pork is liquid smoke. The old school way is to wrap
the pork in ti or banana leaves before cooking.

Is what you are making 'pulled pork?

My suggestion is that you cook the pork without the barbecue sauce. After
you have removed the considerable amount of grease, shred the pork, and let
it soak up the cooking liquid. Then add the barbecue sauce. You can mix it
in or add it on top. I like the second option better.

Hmmm I must admit we have never fancied shredded pork I
might have to leave that to you

Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.

Yes, sf and I sorted that one out years ago))

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 5:52:28 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Hi Ophelia,
>
> I think you will find a cup of soy to be overwhelmingly salty there.
> DS1 may be using 'Aloha Shoyu' (which is a weaker less salty soy sauce)
> and that might work.
>
> Sadly, due to the spammers, I no longer see DS1 direct. I'll work on
> that this afternoon.

Aloha shoyu is popular over here because it's just right for pouring on food at the table. It was the first hydrolyzed shoyu i.e., "fake."

For cooking, I'm using Yamasa shoyu and a dark Chinese soy sauce. The Chinese soy sauce has a somewhat musty taste and color so dark I have to be careful when using it. Mostly, I use it to add color to dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 5:52:28 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Hi Ophelia,
>
> I think you will find a cup of soy to be overwhelmingly salty there.
> DS1 may be using 'Aloha Shoyu' (which is a weaker less salty soy sauce)
> and that might work.
>
> Sadly, due to the spammers, I no longer see DS1 direct. I'll work on
> that this afternoon.

Aloha shoyu is popular over here because it's just right for pouring on food
at the table. It was the first hydrolyzed shoyu i.e., "fake."

For cooking, I'm using Yamasa shoyu and a dark Chinese soy sauce. The
Chinese soy sauce has a somewhat musty taste and color so dark I have to be
careful when using it. Mostly, I use it to add color to dishes.

==

For that sauce I use a mix of light and dark) Half a cup of
each

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 11:05:41 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > ===
> > >
> > > This is the full recipe:
> > >
> > > Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
> > >
> > > 3 pounds chicken breast
> > > 1 (18 ounce) bottle honey barbecue sauce
> > > 1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple
> > > 1 teaspoon soy sauce
> > >
> > > Put chicken breasts into the crock of a slow cooker; top with barbeque
> > > sauce, pineapple slices, and soy sauce.
> > > Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > I was thinking of half to one cupful soya sauce!

> > What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and then
> > stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes out. I have
> > some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would like to use up
> > both.
> >

> > Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will report
> > back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they have more
> > flavour.
> >
> > I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker. Cooking
> > time
> > will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt and liquid smoke.
> > That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with some barbecue sauce.
> >
> > Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce. If
> > he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid smoke.
> > What
> > do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as well?
> >
> > Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

> Chicken thighs should be fine. I was wondering how slow cooked chicken
> breasts would turn out.
>
> The recipe states chicken breasts so ... I don't know
>
> You can cook the pork without the liquid smoke. The only difference between
> kalua pork and pulled pork is liquid smoke. The old school way is to wrap
> the pork in ti or banana leaves before cooking.
>
> Is what you are making 'pulled pork?
>
> My suggestion is that you cook the pork without the barbecue sauce. After
> you have removed the considerable amount of grease, shred the pork, and let
> it soak up the cooking liquid. Then add the barbecue sauce. You can mix it
> in or add it on top. I like the second option better.
>
> Hmmm I must admit we have never fancied shredded pork I
> might have to leave that to you
>
> Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.
>
> Yes, sf and I sorted that one out years ago))
>
> Thanks

I left my butt in the slow cooker for about 17 hours. It came out fine. I think that shredded pork might be a Hawaiian/American thing. Maybe it could catch on in your isles one of these days. Or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 3:25:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I left my butt in the slow cooker for about 17 hours. It came out fine. I think that shredded pork might be a Hawaiian/American thing. Maybe it could catch on in your isles one of these days. Or not.

Many weeks ago America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country did a show on how to
do ribs in the crockpot. I haven't tried it but will in the future when
I find them on sale. If I remember correctly they used St. Louis style
ribs and no liquid added to the pot. The ribs were coated with a dry rub.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> the pork in ti or banana leaves before cooking.
>
> Is what you are making 'pulled pork?
>
> My suggestion is that you cook the pork without the barbecue sauce. After
> you have removed the considerable amount of grease, shred the pork, and
> let
> it soak up the cooking liquid. Then add the barbecue sauce. You can mix it
> in or add it on top. I like the second option better.
>
> Hmmm I must admit we have never fancied shredded pork I
> might have to leave that to you
>
> Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.
>
> Yes, sf and I sorted that one out years ago))
>
> Thanks

I left my butt in the slow cooker for about 17 hours. It came out fine. I
think that shredded pork might be a Hawaiian/American thing. Maybe it could
catch on in your isles one of these days. Or not.

Who knows) I have certainly heard the Americans taking about it. I
might cook a 'butt' in the slow cooker one of these days though. I can
still add a sauce though??

Oh! Does it become shredded because it has been cooking for so long?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 10:34:13 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Many weeks ago America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country did a show on how to
> do ribs in the crockpot. I haven't tried it but will in the future when
> I find them on sale. If I remember correctly they used St. Louis style
> ribs and no liquid added to the pot. The ribs were coated with a dry rub.

That's interesting. I'll have to try it. I kinda like making stuff in the slow cooker. Any method that allows one to get a good night's sleep while cooking can't be all bad!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 10:34:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 11:05:41 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > What I would do is just pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken and
> > > then
> > > stop when you think it's right. I'm interested in how it comes out. I
> > > have
> > > some chicken breast and lots of barbecue sauce. I would like to use up
> > > both.
> > >

> > > Ok, will do. I will be making it next week and I will report
> > > back I will use thighs rather than breasts. I think they have more
> > > flavour.
> > >
> > > I'm making kalua pig. There's a pork butt in the slow cooker. Cooking
> > > time
> > > will be around 8 hours. It's been salted with sea salt and liquid smoke.
> > > That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty with some barbecue sauce.
> > >
> > > Let's see how he likes that chicken with barbecue sauce.
> > > If
> > > he does I might try the pork plus barbeque sauce, but no liquid smoke.
> > > What
> > > do you think of it with no smoke? Should I salt it as well?
> > >
> > > Pork butt = shoulder, yes?

> > Chicken thighs should be fine. I was wondering how slow cooked chicken
> > breasts would turn out.
> >
> > The recipe states chicken breasts so ... I don't know
> >
> > You can cook the pork without the liquid smoke. The only difference
> > between
> > kalua pork and pulled pork is liquid smoke. The old school way is to wrap
> > the pork in ti or banana leaves before cooking.
> >
> > Is what you are making 'pulled pork?
> >
> > My suggestion is that you cook the pork without the barbecue sauce. After
> > you have removed the considerable amount of grease, shred the pork, and
> > let
> > it soak up the cooking liquid. Then add the barbecue sauce. You can mix it
> > in or add it on top. I like the second option better.
> >
> > Hmmm I must admit we have never fancied shredded pork I
> > might have to leave that to you
> >
> > Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.
> >
> > Yes, sf and I sorted that one out years ago))
> >
> > Thanks

> I left my butt in the slow cooker for about 17 hours. It came out fine. I
> think that shredded pork might be a Hawaiian/American thing. Maybe it could
> catch on in your isles one of these days. Or not.
>
> ==
>
> Who knows) I have certainly heard the Americans taking about it. I
> might cook a 'butt' in the slow cooker one of these days though. I can
> still add a sauce though??
>
> Oh! Does it become shredded because it has been cooking for so long?

That would be correct. It's cooked so long that you can't cut it or lift it without having it fall apart. Well, that's if you do it right anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > might have to leave that to you
> >
> > Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.
> >
> > Yes, sf and I sorted that one out years ago))
> >
> > Thanks

> I left my butt in the slow cooker for about 17 hours. It came out fine. I
> think that shredded pork might be a Hawaiian/American thing. Maybe it
> could
> catch on in your isles one of these days. Or not.
>
> ==
>
> Who knows) I have certainly heard the Americans taking about it. I
> might cook a 'butt' in the slow cooker one of these days though. I can
> still add a sauce though??
>
> Oh! Does it become shredded because it has been cooking for so long?

That would be correct. It's cooked so long that you can't cut it or lift it
without having it fall apart. Well, that's if you do it right anyway.

Ok thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 3:38:34 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 10:34:13 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> > Many weeks ago America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country did a show on how to
> > do ribs in the crockpot. I haven't tried it but will in the future when
> > I find them on sale. If I remember correctly they used St. Louis style
> > ribs and no liquid added to the pot. The ribs were coated with a dry rub.

> That's interesting. I'll have to try it. I kinda like making stuff in the slow cooker. Any method that allows one to get a good night's sleep while cooking can't be all bad!

It looked really good. They used the liquid that results from using the
crockpot to make a barbecue sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 10:34:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> and >> > then

> out. I >> > have

> use up >> > both.

> will > > report >> > back I will use thighs rather than breasts.
> I think they have more >> > flavour.

> Cooking >> > time

> liquid > > smoke. >> > That's all. I think it'll be pretty tasty
> with some barbecue sauce. >> >

> sauce. >> > If

> smoke. >> > What

> >> Chicken thighs should be fine. I was wondering how slow cooked

> chicken >> breasts would turn out.
> > >
> >> The recipe states chicken breasts so ... I don't

> > know
> > >
> >> You can cook the pork without the liquid smoke. The only difference
> >> between
> >> kalua pork and pulled pork is liquid smoke. The old school way is

> to > wrap >> the pork in ti or banana leaves before cooking.
> > >
> >> Is what you are making 'pulled pork?
> > >
> >> My suggestion is that you cook the pork without the barbecue

> sauce. > After >> you have removed the considerable amount of
> grease, shred the pork, and >> let
> >> it soak up the cooking liquid. Then add the barbecue sauce. You

> can mix > it >> in or add it on top. I like the second option better.
> > >
> >> Hmmm I must admit we have never fancied shredded

> pork > I >> might have to leave that to you
> > >
> >> Pork butt is indeed shoulder. At least it is over here.
> > >
> >> Yes, sf and I sorted that one out years ago))
> > >
> >> Thanks

> > I left my butt in the slow cooker for about 17 hours. It came out
> > fine. I think that shredded pork might be a Hawaiian/American
> > thing. Maybe it could catch on in your isles one of these days. Or
> > not.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Who knows) I have certainly heard the Americans taking about it.
> > I might cook a 'butt' in the slow cooker one of these days though.
> > I can still add a sauce though??
> >
> > Oh! Does it become shredded because it has been cooking for so
> > long?

> That would be correct. It's cooked so long that you can't cut it or
> lift it without having it fall apart. Well, that's if you do it right
> anyway.
>
> ==
>
> Ok thanks)

-------

Grin, based on quoting style, I gather that was DS1 mostly?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-------

Grin, based on quoting style, I gather that was DS1 mostly?

==

Yes, I was responding to Dsi1! He has helped me with advice and recipes
which have been very well received here. I have been very surprised at how
my husband has enjoyed them. I will always take Dsi1's advice. He has been
very kind and patient.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVlvnCOUqog

> Janet UK

That's a hoot!!!

How many times have pork butts been discussed here?? Several dozen??
But yet OhFeelMe acts like this is the first time she's ever heard of
one and how to cook it.