Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ping dsi1

With a pence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 8:28:25 AM UTC-10, cibola do oro wrote:
> With a pence...
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8

That's a interesting video. It's a famous guitar but I've never gotten a look up close. The strings are set way at the edges of the fretboard - very radical!

I'm an advocate for that zero fret setup. A zero fret is an extra fret behind the first fret. Mostly it's used on cheap guitars and most guitarists find the whole thing to be unacceptable. The advantage is that you get rid of the number one reason for a guitar that goes out of tune - string binding on the nut. Brian May's zero nut setup is very simple and elegant and frictionless i.e., perfect.

I like his tremolo setup too. I just installed a tremolo on my Stratocaster - a complicated affair with bearings and rollers and springs and stops. The reality is that best tremolo I ever used was a simple piece of spring metal - like Brian's. Thanks for the link.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 8:28:25 AM UTC-10, cibola do oro wrote:
>> With a pence...
>>

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8

> That's a interesting video. It's a famous guitar but I've never gotten a look up close. The strings are set way at the edges of the fretboard - very radical!

How about that near flat string profile tailpiece through nut?

> I'm an advocate for that zero fret setup. A zero fret is an extra fret behind the first fret. Mostly it's used on cheap guitars and most guitarists find the whole thing to be unacceptable. The advantage is that you get rid of the number one reason for a guitar that goes out of tune - string binding on the nut. Brian May's zero nut setup is very simple and elegant and frictionless i.e., perfect.

And he did this when he was 17!!!

I mean think of all the roller nut tech out now, but that was pure.

https://www.allparts.com/brass-roller-extension-nuts

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/L...73888004148.gc

> I like his tremolo setup too. I just installed a tremolo on my Stratocaster - a complicated affair with bearings and rollers and springs and stops.

Those look like such a mess when you take the back plate off.

> The reality is that best tremolo I ever used was a simple piece of spring metal - like Brian's. Thanks for the link.

You are welcome.

I was hoping I might find one on Neil Young's Gibson Bigsby setup, the
Kirby Vac of trems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ro76H9QWg8

Talk about heavy gauge strings!

Ping dsi1 sf[_9_] General Cooking 7 07-02-2017 05:18 AM
Ping Dsi1 Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 0 17-10-2016 06:10 PM
Ping Dsi1 Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 36 15-10-2016 09:34 PM
Ping Dsi1 Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 0 13-10-2016 09:49 PM
ping: dsi1 sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 19-09-2013 02:18 PM