Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef Hash

For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
it!

So:

1 can corned beef
I med onion chopped small
1 can baked beans
Potatoes mashed
Cheese grated
Butter, salt and ketchup

Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt

In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some tomato
sauce.

Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.

If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.

I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it and
I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL

For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
eggs!

--
http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:28:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
>it!
>
>So:
>
>1 can corned beef
>I med onion chopped small
>1 can baked beans
>Potatoes mashed
>Cheese grated
>Butter, salt and ketchup
>
>Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
>potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>
>In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some tomato
>sauce.
>
>Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>
>If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>
>I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it and
>I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
>
>For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
>eggs!

I love corned beef hash but not made with canned... the smell of
canned corned beef is far worse than canned cat food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2018 9:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> 1 can corned beef
> I med onion chopped small
> 1 can baked beans
> Potatoes mashed
> Cheese grated
> Butter, salt and ketchup

I haven't had tinned corned beef in decades!
When I made hash with it, I cubed the potatoes, diced the onions, did
NOT include baked beans or ketchup, and added an egg on top.
No cheese, either, but that's not a bad idea...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Wed 28 Feb 2018 07:28:48a, Ophelia told us...

> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to
> I made it!
>
> So:
>
> 1 can corned beef
> I med onion chopped small
> 1 can baked beans
> Potatoes mashed
> Cheese grated
> Butter, salt and ketchup
>
> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till
> golden. Boil potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>
> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with
> some tomato sauce.
>
> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>
> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>
> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after
> tasting it and I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow
> LOL
>
> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple
> slices and eggs!
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Hmm... It's always interesting to me that the name of a dish is the
same in different countries but the recipes can be drastically
different.

I'm interested in trying your recipe!

Meanwhile, most US recipes for Corned Beef Hash would contain chopped
or diced corned beef, chopped or diced onion, and chopped or diced
parboiled potatoes. Sometimes it might include diced green pepper.
Each of these items would be fried together gentlyu in butter until
tender. The mixture may be served loose or may be formed into a
patty, then browned until a bit crispy crispy.

Roast beef hash is usually prepared the same way.

I've often had baked beans served to me as a part of a breakfast
plate when in the UK, but never in the US. I love baked beans.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 2/28/2018 9:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> 1 can corned beef
> I med onion chopped small
> 1 can baked beans
> Potatoes mashed
> Cheese grated
> Butter, salt and ketchup

I haven't had tinned corned beef in decades!
When I made hash with it, I cubed the potatoes, diced the onions, did
NOT include baked beans or ketchup, and added an egg on top.
No cheese, either, but that's not a bad idea...

==

Heh, I guess all those years ago, they used what they had

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:29:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
> it!
>
> So:
>
> 1 can corned beef
> I med onion chopped small
> 1 can baked beans
> Potatoes mashed
> Cheese grated
> Butter, salt and ketchup
>
> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
> potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>
> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some tomato
> sauce.
>
> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>
> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>
> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it and
> I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
>
> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
> eggs!
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Do you bake this dish after adding the potatoes and cheese? I've never seen corned beef hash made with beans in the US but I'll have to try it. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com Sheldon says...

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:28:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> >For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
> >it!
> >
> >So:
> >
> >1 can corned beef
> >I med onion chopped small
> >1 can baked beans
> >Potatoes mashed
> >Cheese grated
> >Butter, salt and ketchup
> >
> >Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
> >potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
> >
> >In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some tomato
> >sauce.
> >
> >Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
> >
> >If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
> >
> >I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it and
> >I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
> >
> >For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
> >eggs!

> I love corned beef hash but not made with canned... the smell of
> canned corned beef is far worse than canned cat food.

You say the same thing about my **** and that STINKS!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:29:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
> it!
>
> So:
>
> 1 can corned beef
> I med onion chopped small
> 1 can baked beans
> Potatoes mashed
> Cheese grated
> Butter, salt and ketchup
>
> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
> potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>
> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some
> tomato
> sauce.
>
> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>
> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>
> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it
> and
> I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
>
> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
> eggs!
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Do you bake this dish after adding the potatoes and cheese? I've never seen
corned beef hash made with beans in the US but I'll have to try it. Thanks.

==

Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just hope you
have tastebuds like D's

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 16:32:14 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

snip

>Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?

Yes, many, many choices of brands and styles. Sweeter, not so sweet,
spicy, smoky, more onion. You know, the usual as companies vie for
the shopper's attention.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 16:32:14 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

snip

>Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?

Yes, many, many choices of brands and styles. Sweeter, not so sweet,
spicy, smoky, more onion. You know, the usual as companies vie for
the shopper's attention.
Janet US

==

Ok)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Wed 28 Feb 2018 09:32:14a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 07:28:48a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today,
>> to I made it!
>>
>> So:
>>
>> 1 can corned beef
>> I med onion chopped small
>> 1 can baked beans
>> Potatoes mashed
>> Cheese grated
>> Butter, salt and ketchup
>>
>> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till
>> golden. Boil potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>>
>> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with
>> some tomato sauce.
>>
>> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>>
>> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>>
>> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after
>> tasting it and I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow
>> LOL
>>
>> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple
>> slices and eggs!
>>

>> --
>> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk
>>

> Hmm... It's always interesting to me that the name of a dish is
> the same in different countries but the recipes can be drastically
> different.
>
> I'm interested in trying your recipe!
>
> Meanwhile, most US recipes for Corned Beef Hash would contain
> chopped or diced corned beef, chopped or diced onion, and chopped
> or diced parboiled potatoes. Sometimes it might include diced
> green pepper. Each of these items would be fried together gentlyu
> in butter until tender. The mixture may be served loose or may be
> formed into a patty, then browned until a bit crispy crispy.
>
> Roast beef hash is usually prepared the same way.
>
> I've often had baked beans served to me as a part of a breakfast
> plate when in the UK, but never in the US. I love baked beans.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?

We have numerous brands of baked beans, but none exactly like those
I've had in the UK.

I think most of the US baked beans are eaten as a side dish for
cookouts, picnics, or with various additions added.

Wayne Boatwright

===

How do our beans differ??

I have just read from Janet B that you have several kinds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:29:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
>> it!
>>
>> So:
>>
>> 1 can corned beef
>> I med onion chopped small
>> 1 can baked beans
>> Potatoes mashed
>> Cheese grated
>> Butter, salt and ketchup
>>
>> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
>> potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>>
>> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some
>> tomato
>> sauce.
>>
>> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>>
>> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>>
>> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it
>> and
>> I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
>>
>> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
>> eggs!
>>

>> --
>> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Do you bake this dish after adding the potatoes and cheese? I've never
> seen
> corned beef hash made with beans in the US but I'll have to try it.
> Thanks.
>
> ==
>
> Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just hope you
> have tastebuds like D's

I know we would like it!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:29:05 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
>> it!
>>
>> So:
>>
>> 1 can corned beef
>> I med onion chopped small
>> 1 can baked beans
>> Potatoes mashed
>> Cheese grated
>> Butter, salt and ketchup
>>
>> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
>> potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>>
>> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some
>> tomato
>> sauce.
>>
>> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>>
>> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>>
>> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it
>> and
>> I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
>>
>> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
>> eggs!
>>

>> --
>> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Do you bake this dish after adding the potatoes and cheese? I've never
> seen
> corned beef hash made with beans in the US but I'll have to try it.
> Thanks.
>
> ==
>
> Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just hope you
> have tastebuds like D's

I know we would like it!

Cheri

==

It is the most simple thing to make) I put it together while I was
waiting for our dinner to cook)

I hadn't thought of it for years)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:40:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just hope you
> have tastebuds like D's

Very interesting - real Brit food! Oddly enough that kind of canned beans is called "Pork & Beans" in the states. "Pork & Beans" is a misnomer because there's not much pork in there. There is a weird little cube of fat but, for the most part, any pork in there is mostly symbolic. My understanding is that your Heinz beans will have a rather large piece of ham in it.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d0/e6/50/d...d768e6fd37.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:40:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just hope you
> have tastebuds like D's

Very interesting - real Brit food! Oddly enough that kind of canned beans is
called "Pork & Beans" in the states. "Pork & Beans" is a misnomer because
there's not much pork in there. There is a weird little cube of fat but, for
the most part, any pork in there is mostly symbolic. My understanding is
that your Heinz beans will have a rather large piece of ham in it.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d0/e6/50/d...d768e6fd37.jpg

==

LOL no, our Heinz beans don't have any ham .... lol

I am not sure I would call it 'real Brit food' these days)

Anyway, there they are in all their glory <g>

http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/products/b...nz-baked-beanz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 10:29:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> LOL no, our Heinz beans don't have any ham .... lol
>
> I am not sure I would call it 'real Brit food' these days)
>
> Anyway, there they are in all their glory <g>
>
> http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/products/b...nz-baked-beanz

"Beanz?" I love it! I don't eat those beans but I should - they're dirt cheap. I'll have to make your hash. That's one cheap dinner!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 10:29:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> LOL no, our Heinz beans don't have any ham .... lol
>
> I am not sure I would call it 'real Brit food' these days)
>
> Anyway, there they are in all their glory <g>
>
> http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/products/b...nz-baked-beanz

"Beanz?" I love it! I don't eat those beans but I should - they're dirt
cheap. I'll have to make your hash. That's one cheap dinner!

===

Can you get them there??

<g> you are just like my husband He loves stuff like that )))

Do report back? It might not be as good as you think it is? lol

We don't have them very often but they are really good with a fry
up, ie sausage, bacon, eggs etc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:40:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just
>> hope you have tastebuds like D's

> Very interesting - real Brit food! Oddly enough that kind of canned
> beans is called "Pork & Beans" in the states. "Pork & Beans" is a
> misnomer because there's not much pork in there. There is a weird
> little cube of fat but, for the most part, any pork in there is
> mostly symbolic. My understanding is that your Heinz beans will have
> a rather large piece of ham in it.

True enough that there is not much pork meat in most pork and beans,
just chunks of fat. Home made pork and beans is a different matter. I
make baked beans with a recipe that calls for a pound of bacon. I cheat
a little and use a half pound of good quality smoked bacon. It also has
jalapeno peppers in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:44:36 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ===
>
> Can you get them there??
>
> <g> you are just like my husband He loves stuff like that )))
>
> Do report back? It might not be as good as you think it is? lol
>
> We don't have them very often but they are really good with a fry
> up, ie sausage, bacon, eggs etc

I don't think we can get Heinz Beanz on this side of the pond. Well, spelled with a "Z" anyway. Americans might freak if it was spelled "Beanz." The most popular brand in the states would probably be Van Camp's. I'll be on the lookout for Heinz Baked Beans at our local market. If I see it, I shall grab it.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/261...80aa40d.jp eg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Haven't tried it with baked beans.

I think the recipe from "White Trash Cooking" is pretty good. You can read that he

https://books.google.com/books?id=5N...20beef&f=false

From a former Southerner I know:

"This book is hysterical. A friend of mine from Kentucky uses it religiously! She thinks it is a riot!"

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 12:04:34 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-28 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7:40:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Yes, but, everything is precooked so you can eat it cold. I just
> >> hope you have tastebuds like D's

> > Very interesting - real Brit food! Oddly enough that kind of canned
> > beans is called "Pork & Beans" in the states. "Pork & Beans" is a
> > misnomer because there's not much pork in there. There is a weird
> > little cube of fat but, for the most part, any pork in there is
> > mostly symbolic. My understanding is that your Heinz beans will have
> > a rather large piece of ham in it.

> True enough that there is not much pork meat in most pork and beans,
> just chunks of fat. Home made pork and beans is a different matter. I
> make baked beans with a recipe that calls for a pound of bacon. I cheat
> a little and use a half pound of good quality smoked bacon. It also has
> jalapeno peppers in it.

That sounds great. I like to use cute little cocktail weenies. It would be great to have some right now but that might involve driving to the market. That's a buzzkill right there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today, to I made
> it!
>
> So:
>
> 1 can corned beef
> I med onion chopped small
> 1 can baked beans
> Potatoes mashed
> Cheese grated
> Butter, salt and ketchup
>
> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till golden. Boil
> potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>
> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with some
> tomato sauce.
>
> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>
> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>
> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after tasting it
> and I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow LOL
>
> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple slices and
> eggs!

I made hash too! But an old recipe that I got from the Beef Council.
Southwestern Style. Basic recipe is brown some ground beef (mince for you),
remove from pan, add O'Brien potatoes, cook till crispy, add beef back in
and a jar of salsa.

I always doctor it up. Added a chopped onion, chopped yellow pepper and
chili beans. Chili beans are a pink bean in a cumin sauce.

Top with cheese.

Yum!

You can make this from scratch by using raw potatoes, onions and peppers and
your own salsa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:44:36 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ===
>
> Can you get them there??
>
> <g> you are just like my husband He loves stuff like that )))
>
> Do report back? It might not be as good as you think it is? lol
>
> We don't have them very often but they are really good with a fry
> up, ie sausage, bacon, eggs etc

I don't think we can get Heinz Beanz on this side of the pond. Well, spelled
with a "Z" anyway. Americans might freak if it was spelled "Beanz." The most
popular brand in the states would probably be Van Camp's. I'll be on the
lookout for Heinz Baked Beans at our local market. If I see it, I shall grab
it.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/261...80aa40d.jp eg

==

Well, ours doesn't have pork but I don't see why not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Wed 28 Feb 2018 11:13:53a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 09:32:14a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>
>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 07:28:48a, Ophelia told us...
>>
>>> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today,
>>> to I made it!
>>>
>>> So:
>>>
>>> 1 can corned beef
>>> I med onion chopped small
>>> 1 can baked beans
>>> Potatoes mashed
>>> Cheese grated
>>> Butter, salt and ketchup
>>>
>>> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till
>>> golden. Boil potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>>>
>>> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with
>>> some tomato sauce.
>>>
>>> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>>>
>>> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>>>
>>> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after
>>> tasting it and I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple
>>> slices and eggs!
>>>

>>> --
>>> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk
>>>

>> Hmm... It's always interesting to me that the name of a dish is
>> the same in different countries but the recipes can be
>> drastically different.
>>
>> I'm interested in trying your recipe!
>>
>> Meanwhile, most US recipes for Corned Beef Hash would contain
>> chopped or diced corned beef, chopped or diced onion, and chopped
>> or diced parboiled potatoes. Sometimes it might include diced
>> green pepper. Each of these items would be fried together gentlyu
>> in butter until tender. The mixture may be served loose or may
>> be formed into a patty, then browned until a bit crispy crispy.
>>
>> Roast beef hash is usually prepared the same way.
>>
>> I've often had baked beans served to me as a part of a breakfast
>> plate when in the UK, but never in the US. I love baked beans.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?
>>

> We have numerous brands of baked beans, but none exactly like
> those I've had in the UK.
>
> I think most of the US baked beans are eaten as a side dish for
> cookouts, picnics, or with various additions added.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ===
>
> How do our beans differ??
>
> I have just read from Janet B that you have several kinds.

I think the only baked beans I have eaten in the UK were the Heinz
brand, and as I recall they were in a fairly bland tomato based
sauce.

There are several well known brands in the US including Van Camps,
Campbell's B&M (a Boston style of baked beans), and Bush's. There
are a dozen different flavors of Bush's baked beans of which two are
my favoarites.

See https://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/products/baked-beans.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Yes, ours are quite bland. Which of yours do you think is closest?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Thu 01 Mar 2018 12:42:47p, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 11:13:53a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>
>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 09:32:14a, Ophelia told us...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>>> 9.45...
>>>
>>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 07:28:48a, Ophelia told us...

>>> Hmm... It's always interesting to me that the name of a dish is
>>> the same in different countries but the recipes can be
>>> drastically different.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in trying your recipe!
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, most US recipes for Corned Beef Hash would contain
>>> chopped or diced corned beef, chopped or diced onion, and
>>> chopped or diced parboiled potatoes. Sometimes it might include
>>> diced green pepper. Each of these items would be fried together
>>> gentlyu in butter until tender. The mixture may be served loose
>>> or may be formed into a patty, then browned until a bit crispy
>>> crispy.
>>>
>>> Roast beef hash is usually prepared the same way.
>>>
>>> I've often had baked beans served to me as a part of a breakfast
>>> plate when in the UK, but never in the US. I love baked beans.
>>>

>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?
>>>

>> We have numerous brands of baked beans, but none exactly like
>> those I've had in the UK.
>>
>> I think most of the US baked beans are eaten as a side dish for
>> cookouts, picnics, or with various additions added.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ===
>>
>> How do our beans differ??
>>
>> I have just read from Janet B that you have several kinds.
>>

> I think the only baked beans I have eaten in the UK were the Heinz
> brand, and as I recall they were in a fairly bland tomato based
> sauce.
>
> There are several well known brands in the US including Van Camps,
> Campbell's B&M (a Boston style of baked beans), and Bush's. There
> are a dozen different flavors of Bush's baked beans of which two
> are my favoarites.
>
> See https://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/products/baked-beans.
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Yes, ours are quite bland. Which of yours do you think is
> closest?

Probably Van Camp's or Campbell's.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Thanks That might be of interest to anyone looking to make my version of
corned beef hash)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?

We can get all kinds of canned beans here but I suspect what we get that is
labeled as "baked" is not like yours. We can get Heinz beans which are far
less sweet than our baked beans but sweeter than pork and beans. I suspect
yours either are the Heinz brand or at least like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 09:32:14a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>
>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 07:28:48a, Ophelia told us...
>>
>>> For me this is a childhood dish but D. reminded me of it today,
>>> to I made it!
>>>
>>> So:
>>>
>>> 1 can corned beef
>>> I med onion chopped small
>>> 1 can baked beans
>>> Potatoes mashed
>>> Cheese grated
>>> Butter, salt and ketchup
>>>
>>> Chop corned beef roughly. Fry onions gently in butter till
>>> golden. Boil potatoes and mash with butter, milk and salt
>>>
>>> In med dish, add corned beef, onions and beans and mix well with
>>> some tomato sauce.
>>>
>>> Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
>>>
>>> If memory serves it can be eaten hot or cold.
>>>
>>> I can't say I am too fussed, but D is very enthusiastic after
>>> tasting it and I am not sure it will last until dinner tomorrow
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> For dinner today we had gammon with chips (fries), pineapple
>>> slices and eggs!
>>>

>>> --
>>> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk
>>>

>> Hmm... It's always interesting to me that the name of a dish is
>> the same in different countries but the recipes can be drastically
>> different.
>>
>> I'm interested in trying your recipe!
>>
>> Meanwhile, most US recipes for Corned Beef Hash would contain
>> chopped or diced corned beef, chopped or diced onion, and chopped
>> or diced parboiled potatoes. Sometimes it might include diced
>> green pepper. Each of these items would be fried together gentlyu
>> in butter until tender. The mixture may be served loose or may be
>> formed into a patty, then browned until a bit crispy crispy.
>>
>> Roast beef hash is usually prepared the same way.
>>
>> I've often had baked beans served to me as a part of a breakfast
>> plate when in the UK, but never in the US. I love baked beans.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?
>>

> We have numerous brands of baked beans, but none exactly like those
> I've had in the UK.
>
> I think most of the US baked beans are eaten as a side dish for
> cookouts, picnics, or with various additions added.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ===
>
> How do our beans differ??
>
> I have just read from Janet B that you have several kinds.

Not as sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 11:13:53a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>
>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 09:32:14a, Ophelia told us...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>>> 9.45...
>>>
>>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 07:28:48a, Ophelia told us...

>>> Hmm... It's always interesting to me that the name of a dish is
>>> the same in different countries but the recipes can be
>>> drastically different.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in trying your recipe!
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, most US recipes for Corned Beef Hash would contain
>>> chopped or diced corned beef, chopped or diced onion, and chopped
>>> or diced parboiled potatoes. Sometimes it might include diced
>>> green pepper. Each of these items would be fried together gentlyu
>>> in butter until tender. The mixture may be served loose or may
>>> be formed into a patty, then browned until a bit crispy crispy.
>>>
>>> Roast beef hash is usually prepared the same way.
>>>
>>> I've often had baked beans served to me as a part of a breakfast
>>> plate when in the UK, but never in the US. I love baked beans.
>>>

>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?
>>>

>> We have numerous brands of baked beans, but none exactly like
>> those I've had in the UK.
>>
>> I think most of the US baked beans are eaten as a side dish for
>> cookouts, picnics, or with various additions added.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ===
>>
>> How do our beans differ??
>>
>> I have just read from Janet B that you have several kinds.
>>

> I think the only baked beans I have eaten in the UK were the Heinz
> brand, and as I recall they were in a fairly bland tomato based
> sauce.
>
> There are several well known brands in the US including Van Camps,
> Campbell's B&M (a Boston style of baked beans), and Bush's. There
> are a dozen different flavors of Bush's baked beans of which two are
> my favoarites.
>
> See https://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/products/baked-beans.
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Yes, ours are quite bland. Which of yours do you think is closest?

We can get Heinz here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Do you get canned baked beans in US like ours?

We can get all kinds of canned beans here but I suspect what we get that is
labeled as "baked" is not like yours. We can get Heinz beans which are far
less sweet than our baked beans but sweeter than pork and beans. I suspect
yours either are the Heinz brand or at least like them.

==

Yes, I did say they were Heinz baked beans)

Wayne said which of yours were the nearest to ours but I forget now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2018 10:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> We can get Heinz here.

Different recipe, though, and very different taste. I did a side-by-side
taste test, years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 3/2/2018 10:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> We can get Heinz here.

Different recipe, though, and very different taste. I did a side-by-side
taste test, years ago.

==

Ahh! I wondered. Wayne did say there were two there that were similar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-03 6:22 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 3/2/2018 10:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> We can get Heinz here.

> Different recipe, though, and very different taste. I did a side-by-side
> taste test, years ago.

M&S used to have a few stores in Canada and we used to buy their
biscuits, especially chocolate digestives, as they were much less sweet
than Canadian cookies.
When s-i-l visited from the UK, she reckoned they were sweeter than
those at home. It seems M&S adjusted the recipe towards N.Am taste but
not quite all the way.