Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Waffle House

I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.

My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 8:49:17 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
> bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
> Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.
>
> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
> go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

No, it's not high class dining. But be on the road in the wee hours
of the morning trying your best to put as many miles behind you and
suddenly your stomach sounds like there is a mountain lion in the
vehicle with you. If you're not searching for a gourmet breakfast
it's a great place to eat toast, fried or scrambled eggs, bacon or
sausage. I'm not wild about grits so I always pass those off to
someone else and you can get shredded hash browns about anyway you
like them. Of course they have waffles and I like them but they
don't seem to stick with you like eggs and toast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 8:49:17 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
> bad.

Did I mention that in the wee hours of the morning it's the only
restaurant open within 200 miles when you on the road?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 4:49:17 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
> bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
> Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.
>
> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
> go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

Sounds like a good fun place. I wish we had a Waffle House on this rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 9:49:17 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
> bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
> Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.
>
> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
> go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

I very rarely go out for breakfast. The bacon sucks.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 4:49:17 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
> bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
> Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.
>
> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
> go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

Sounds like a good fun place. I wish we had a Waffle House on this rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w

=

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2018 9:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
> bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
> Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.
>
> My impression:Â* The Wal Mart of diners.
> go to www.peopleofwalmart.comÂ* Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

I only ate there once. I wanted a pecan waffle so we stopped in
while we were visiting Florida. It was an eclectic clientele, I'll
give you that, but everyone was just there to get some food.

Unfortunately the waffle could only be described as flaccid, not
exactly what I had in mind when I ordered a waffle but it was a
fun experience watching the staff handle a crowd with ease. And
yelling.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 8:49:17 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I've read many things about Waffle House over the years, both good and
>> bad. Stories about first days, after prom dinners, drunken brawls, etc.
>> Finally had a chance to go to one for breakfast.
>>
>> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
>> go to
www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

> No, it's not high class dining. But be on the road in the wee hours
> of the morning trying your best to put as many miles behind you and
> suddenly your stomach sounds like there is a mountain lion in the
> vehicle with you. If you're not searching for a gourmet breakfast
> it's a great place to eat toast, fried or scrambled eggs, bacon or
> sausage. I'm not wild about grits so I always pass those off to
> someone else and you can get shredded hash browns about anyway you
> like them. Of course they have waffles and I like them but they
> don't seem to stick with you like eggs and toast.

My SO and I have eaten at many a Waffle House over the years. They're
so conveniently located right off the Interstate highways. It's not
gourmet food but it's definitely tasty and hits the spot. I like
watching the short-order cooks prepare everything right in front of you.

I recall on one visit (I forget which state we were in) I heard someone
order an egg white omelet. The cook didn't blink, just deftly separated
a couple of eggs and used the whites. The yolks went into a bowl,
presumeably to be used in the next few orders of scrambled eggs.

In some other state, they actually had an employee acting as a greeter,
opening the door for patrons and welcoming them, which was kind of odd
considering it's Waffle House.

I love those crispy shredded hash browns and the bacon is cooked to
order; I like mine crisp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-26 6:32 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
>> go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

> I very rarely go out for breakfast. The bacon sucks.

It depends on where you go. I often went for breakfast with my coworkers
but did do breakfast out very often unless travelling. Over the last
your or two I have been going out for breakfast once or twice a month
with a good friend, and there are some local places that serve really
good bacon. It is the same bacon I pay premium prices for to eat at
home. It is not the regular store bought crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-26 8:15 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> My SO and I have eaten at many a Waffle House over the years.Â* They're
> so conveniently located right off the Interstate highways.Â* It's not
> gourmet food but it's definitely tasty and hits the spot.Â* I like
> watching the short-order cooks prepare everything right in front of you.
>
> I recall on one visit (I forget which state we were in) I heard someone
> order an egg white omelet.Â* The cook didn't blink, just deftly separated
> a couple of eggs and used the whites.Â* The yolks went into a bowl,
> presumeably to be used in the next few orders of scrambled eggs.
>
> In some other state, they actually had an employee acting as a greeter,
> opening the door for patrons and welcoming them, which was kind of odd
> considering it's Waffle House.
>
> I love those crispy shredded hash browns and the bacon is cooked to
> order; I like mine crisp.

I saw lots of them on my trip. There were sure conveniently located.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2018 3:21 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-26 8:15 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> My SO and I have eaten at many a Waffle House over the years.Â* They're
>> so conveniently located right off the Interstate highways.Â* It's not
>> gourmet food but it's definitely tasty and hits the spot.Â* I like
>> watching the short-order cooks prepare everything right in front of you.
>>
>> I recall on one visit (I forget which state we were in) I heard
>> someone order an egg white omelet.Â* The cook didn't blink, just deftly
>> separated a couple of eggs and used the whites.Â* The yolks went into a
>> bowl, presumeably to be used in the next few orders of scrambled eggs.
>>
>> In some other state, they actually had an employee acting as a
>> greeter, opening the door for patrons and welcoming them, which was
>> kind of odd considering it's Waffle House.
>>
>> I love those crispy shredded hash browns and the bacon is cooked to
>> order; I like mine crisp.

> I saw lots of them on my trip.Â* There were sure conveniently located.

Driving to/from I'm sure you saw lots of them. They really are good
places to stop if you're hungry for breakfast food.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 11:08:03 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 2/26/2018 3:21 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > I saw lots of them on my trip.Â* There were sure conveniently located.
> >

> Driving to/from I'm sure you saw lots of them. They really are good
> places to stop if you're hungry for breakfast food.
>
> Jill

It's been many years since I've eaten a very, very late supper there.
But I got a 'Lib's Patty Melt' and it was absolutely delicious. I'm
sure the fact that I was starving had nothing to do with my enjoyment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 3:16:00 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-02-26 6:32 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> >> My impression: The Wal Mart of diners.
> >> go to www.peopleofwalmart.com Well, that was my opinion on one visit.

> > I very rarely go out for breakfast. The bacon sucks.

> It depends on where you go. I often went for breakfast with my coworkers
> but did do breakfast out very often unless travelling. Over the last
> your or two I have been going out for breakfast once or twice a month
> with a good friend, and there are some local places that serve really
> good bacon. It is the same bacon I pay premium prices for to eat at
> home. It is not the regular store bought crap.

Ah, well. People differ. Apart from biennial trips to a local place
that has top-shelf ingredients, I eat breakfast out only when traveling,
which I don't do all that often, either. The last bacon I had in a
restaurant was sliced paper thin and had little more flavor than the
napkin.

Last night I had a BLT for dinner. Damn, that bacon was good.

Cindy Hamilton

Valentine's Day at Waffle House Tara General Cooking 1 14-02-2014 07:21 PM
Our Groundhog Eats Waffle House Tara General Cooking 9 03-02-2014 07:21 PM
Valentine's Day at Waffle House Tara General Cooking 29 16-02-2013 12:45 AM
Waffle House Tara General Cooking 102 24-02-2012 04:35 AM
REC: Waffle House Waffles Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 5 21-02-2009 07:19 PM