Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Korean Rcie Cakes & Lunar New Year Foods (was: Prolly going away fer awhile)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 09:42:23 -0800 (PST), sanne wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 11. Februar 2018 18:23:11 UTC+1 schrieb Sqwertz:
>
>> ObFood: I think I'll Korean rice cakes today (from pre-sliced rice
>> cake). I'll have to see what else I have in the fridge to throw in
>> with it.

> How about this? https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tteokguk
> This Wednesday is Seollal, after all.

I'm not a soup person - I leave that to Jill. I'm a stir-fry meat and
vegetable buy - something like this:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gungjung-tteokbokki

New Years day is Friday, BTW. I plan on doing something Korean,
Vietanmese, and/or Chinese that day.

I do wonder about the recipe you posted. The first step is:

Directions:
Put the water in a heavy pot, cover, and bring it to a vigorous boil
over high heat for 12 to 15 minutes.

What is the purpose of boiling plain water for 15 minutes? Other than
use up energy and steam up the kitchen? Maybe she gets her water
straight from the Han river? :-)

What does everybody else plan on doing for the Lunar New Year other
than ignoring it?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2018 11:37 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> What does everybody else plan on doing for the Lunar New Year other
> than ignoring it?

Get the **** outta here, you creep!

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 11. Februar 2018 19:35:48 UTC+1 schrieb Sqwertz:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 09:42:23 -0800 (PST), sanne wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag, 11. Februar 2018 18:23:11 UTC+1 schrieb Sqwertz:
> >
> >> ObFood: I think I'll Korean rice cakes today (from pre-sliced rice
> >> cake). I'll have to see what else I have in the fridge to throw in
> >> with it.

> > How about this? https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tteokguk
> > This Wednesday is Seollal, after all.

> I'm not a soup person - I leave that to Jill. I'm a stir-fry meat and
> vegetable buy - something like this:
>
> https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gungjung-tteokbokki

Understood! I don't like rice-cake soup much, either.

> New Years day is Friday, BTW.

Darn Time zones! Of course. I confused the funny dates this year since
Ash Wednesday and Valentine's Day are on the same day this year.
And April Fool's Day will be Easter Sunday...

Since they start one day earlier with the festivities and Germany is 8 hours behind,...

> I plan on doing something Korean,
> Vietanmese, and/or Chinese that day.

....maybe I'll make some nice things early.

> I do wonder about the recipe you posted. The first step is:
>
> Directions:
> Put the water in a heavy pot, cover, and bring it to a vigorous boil
> over high heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
>
> What is the purpose of boiling plain water for 15 minutes? Other than
> use up energy and steam up the kitchen? Maybe she gets her water
> straight from the Han river? :-)

She lives in New York - maybe it takes her so long until the water comes
to a boil.

> What does everybody else plan on doing for the Lunar New Year other
> than ignoring it?

The Koreans here in Munich will have their common feast on the 24th.

Maybe Hoe on Wednesday (Seollal or not; nice Valentine's Day dinner),
and for the actual event - Maeuntang from the leftovers sounds like a plan.
I may even throw in some pieces of sliced rice cake. ;-)
We have enough Banchan including Kimchi (several kinds).
I have a nice crossover-kimchi-recipe for green beans I want to try;
we'll probably buy some tomorrow.

Bye, Sanne.