Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy Lunar New Year, or Happy Chinese New Year

Thai Chicken With Basil

1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot Thai chiles
2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled, cut in slivers
3 large garlic cloves, minced or mashed
3 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced lemon grass (tender, inner portion of base only)
2 pounds chicken, boned, skinned, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1/2 cup firmly packed Thai basil leaves
5 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
Steamed rice

Combine coconut milk, soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce and chiles; set aside.

Heat a wok or a heavy skillet on high. Add 2 tablespoons oil and heat
until almost smoking. Gradually add onion, stir-frying
until soft. Stir in garlic, ginger and lemon grass and continue
cooking about 1 minute, until hot and fragrant. Remove from wok
and set aside, leaving as much oil in pan as possible.

Add half the chicken strips to pan and stir-fry until slightly brown.
Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken,
adding oil as needed. Remove and set aside.

Add sauce to wok; bring to a boil and reduce by 1/3. Return chicken
and onion mixture to wok, mixing well. Slice basil leaves
very thin and add to wok along with green onions. Stir together and
heat through. Serve immediately with steamed rice.

Makes 4 to 5 servings.

For variations, steamed asparagus, broccoli, carrots, green
beans, bell peppers or snow peas can be added to the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 9:47*am, Becca > wrote:
> Thai Chicken With Basil
>
> 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
> 3 tablespoons soy sauce
> 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
> 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
> 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot Thai chiles
> 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1 large onion, peeled, cut in slivers
> 3 large garlic cloves, minced or mashed
> 3 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
> 2 tablespoons minced lemon grass (tender, inner portion of base only)
> 2 pounds chicken, boned, skinned, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
> 1/2 cup firmly packed Thai basil leaves
> 5 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
> Steamed rice
>
> Combine coconut milk, soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce and chiles; set aside.
>
> Heat a wok or a heavy skillet on high. Add 2 tablespoons oil and heat
> until almost smoking. Gradually add onion, stir-frying
> until soft. Stir in garlic, ginger and lemon grass and continue
> cooking about 1 minute, until hot and fragrant. Remove from wok
> and set aside, leaving as much oil in pan as possible.
>
> Add half the chicken strips to pan and stir-fry until slightly brown.
> Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken,
> adding oil as needed. Remove and set aside.
>
> Add sauce to wok; bring to a boil and reduce by 1/3. Return chicken
> and onion mixture to wok, mixing well. Slice basil leaves
> very thin and add to wok along with green onions. Stir together and
> heat through. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
>
> Makes 4 to 5 servings.
>
> For variations, steamed asparagus, broccoli, carrots, green
> beans, bell peppers or snow peas can be added to the recipe.

hmmmm....I might make that tonight.