Old 25-11-2017, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
jazee wrote:
cshenk wrote:

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
planted in my brain.

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.
Old 25-11-2017, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
jazee wrote:
cshenk wrote:

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
planted in my brain.

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

But that doesn't make a very good mnemonic.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 25-11-2017, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
jazee wrote:
cshenk wrote:

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
planted in my brain.

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

But that doesn't make a very good mnemonic.

For ME it does. ( ^ )
Old 25-11-2017, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
jazee wrote:
cshenk wrote:

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
planted in my brain.

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

But that doesn't make a very good mnemonic.

I had a physics teacher with a hair lip and he had a good mnemonic for
concave and convex. Convex like a cave and Convex like a Volkswagon,
and with his hair lip the vex and volks sounded the same.

Old 26-11-2017, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 11:08:24 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:57:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like
part is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging,
it's true. But for some reason even though I have been told before
on several occasions which is the mortar and which is the pestle I
for some reason never get it planted in my brain. Probably because I
don't use it much. I used to have a good wooden one with a nice
thick rounded pestle. The one I have now is some kind of marble with
a pestle that is too thin. But it's usable. The hummus turned out
great. I am with you and your family - I am no vegetarian but eat
lots of veggies and keep the meat to 3 ounces typically. Now and
then a good 6 to 8 ounce steak is nice, but it's not a regular thing
with me. I'm a soup and stew type guy, also cold dishes slung
together such as the fruit plate I mentioned with the hummus. I got
into the 6 day prep routine over the years when I drove a cab and
didn't have enough time to cook every day. Now that I am 'retired'
and collecting $735 a month SSI I still use that same system. I live
on less than some people spend in a week, but I feel wealthy because
I don't have to work. I also said, "No matter how much money you
make, if you HAVE to work you're not rich." Thanks for your posts.

TJ

Hi TJ, and no problem! I have dyslexia so spelling tends to be my
issue. Every now and again you will see someone here go bonkers about
it. Like is it pestel or pestle? I dunno! Anyways, the different
thicknesses to the matching bowl depend on what you are making. All
work, but some are more efficient for some things. In places I have
lived where they were common kitchen things, they tended to have 3
mortars of variable sizes and up to 6 pestles (sp?), also of variable
sizes. It was depending on what they needed to crush/mash as to what
was used.

On living within your means, I am with you. Some here try to pretend
upscale but aren't and some make more $$ but cook simply and we have
one angel who caretook of her mom and inherted the house that turns out
is in an HOA. She has to either eat at the clubhouse or pay them some
annual fee if she doesn't eat there to the annual required level (crazy
I know but we have fun seeing the menus when she posts them).

Anyways, we have some commonality in cookery between us!
Carol

Glad to hear I've got company. It's not just a money issue, it's availability. Seems some things are harder to find these days. The old wooden mortar and pestle I had (can't they just give it one name?) - I got it an an Arab shop about 25 miles from here back when my brother who had a car lived here. I have not had a car in 40 years. One time in L.A. I had a guy I drove cab for offer me a car for free but I turned it down because I knew I worked only for the weekend and would not have enough money to care for it. A car is another mouth to feed. But not having one keeps me walking, and that's good. Some things have passed me by. Like a radio/cd player I had for 22 years that finally went down 6 months ago. "No big deal", I thought, "they are cheap, I'll just buy me another one." Well, not so easy. Walmart didn't have a single one, neither did Best Buy. I hate shopping. Even worse I dread it. I saw some rad/cd players on the web but am not pleased with the idea of buying unfamiliar products without at least touching them. I can make do with the mortar and pestle I have. The hummus making is a chore but I'm doing it nearly every week so I've got it down to a routine. Thanks for your comments.

TJ
Old 26-11-2017, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 6:45:35 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

Many things are shaped like penises. Women like to say that men are egotists, proved by the fact that many tall buildings look like penises. So, I suppose if women were in charge of constructing buildings, we'd all be living in big dark smelly caves. Hah hah hah...............you sicko you.

TJ
Old 26-11-2017, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 10:39:17 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
l not -l wrote:

On 24-Nov-2017, wrote:

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 6:00:52 PM UTC-5, Sheldon
wrote:

Not boil! Slow simmer!

Words, words, words. Ok, I meant simmer. Of course I'm not
going to boil them to death. Sorry for using the wrong word.
Do I get a pardon or will I be taken out and shot at dawn?

TJ

Flogging seems an adequate punishment.

I'd shoot him at dawn. ;-D

Reminds me of a joke. Three European slave traders are captured by an African tribe. The Chief tells them they have been found guilty and may choose as punishment either Death or Ogee. The first guy chooses Ogee. "I don't want to die", he says.

The two awaiting their turn to decide their fates are up all night listening to the first guy's scream as the entire tribe takes turns screwing the first guy up the ass till the break of dawn.

The second guy is then offered the same decision as the first - "Death or Ogee."

"Oh God, that sounded awful last night", he says, "but I don't want to die." He chooses Ogee and the night is filled with his screams, going on even longer than the first guy's agony.

The following day the Chief approaches the sole remaining slave trader and asks the same question: "Death or Ogee?" As a result of listening to two nights of endless screaming he decides to go with death.

"I choose death", he tells the Chief.

"Very well", says the Chief - "Death - by 'Ogee'............!"

Your flogging vs execution comment reminded me of that joke.

TJ
Old 26-11-2017, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
jazee wrote:
cshenk wrote:

On the gear, the: mortar (or is it a pestle?) bit? The bowl like part
is the mortar and the masher part is the pestle.

Thanks for both those posts. I have a great memory, no bragging, it's true.
But for some reason even though I have been told before on several occasions
which is the mortar and which is the pestle I for some reason never get it
planted in my brain.

The pestle is the one shaped like a penis.

Cindy Hamilton

The mortar is the one shaped like a bra cup.

You are both sexually depraved, possibly child predators, as I have never seen a penis or bra as small as the mortar and pestle I own. You sickos, you!