Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default reuben atrocity

a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef

not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
sauerkraut

the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
out the error, but I will not be returning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2017 17:58:31 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>>
>> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
>> sauerkraut
>>
>> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
>> out the error, but I will not be returning

> I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
> other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
> SPAM doesn't work well.
>
> With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
> home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:

http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>
> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
> sauerkraut
>
> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
> out the error, but I will not be returning

Ya KILLED that poor lil' reuben, tert....

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2017 2:44 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 May 2017 17:58:31 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>>>
>>> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
>>> sauerkraut
>>>
>>> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
>>> out the error, but I will not be returning

>> I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
>> other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
>> SPAM doesn't work well.
>>
>> With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
>> home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>>
>> -sw

> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>
> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

I've got to say, both Steve's sandwiches and yours with the onion rings
looked very tasty to me. I don't think I'd complain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2017 18:44:44 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
>>> other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
>>> SPAM doesn't work well.
>>>
>>> With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
>>> home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

>> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

> What was the restaurant and what did the menu say? I see a couple
> Seattle restaurants with ham Reubens. Eww, you even have a smoked
> salmon Reuben - sauerkraut on smoked salmon?!?!
>
> Love your outfit, BTW. What kind of perfume did you wear with it?
>
> -sw

the menu said "Reuben"

I could sue

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>>
>> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
>> sauerkraut
>>
>> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
>> out the error, but I will not be returning

> Ya KILLED that poor lil' reuben, tert....

ya can't kill an abortion, Grog

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> On 5/15/2017 2:44 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
>>> other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
>>> SPAM doesn't work well.
>>>
>>> With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
>>> home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>>>
>>> -sw

>> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

> I've got to say, both Steve's sandwiches and yours with the onion rings
> looked very tasty to me. I don't think I'd complain.

the o rings were pretty good

the funny coincidence is I was flipping through channels and saw Al
Bundy on his new show going on about how to make a reuben and says you
don't put vodka in a martini [wrong] and you don't put pastrami on a
reuben

he didn't even mention ham because the idea probably rightly never
occurred to him or the writers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 May 2017 15:29:13 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2017 18:44:44 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>

>> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

>What was the restaurant and what did the menu say? I see a couple
>Seattle restaurants with ham Reubens. Eww, you even have a smoked
>salmon Reuben - sauerkraut on smoked salmon?!?!
>
>Love your outfit, BTW. What kind of perfume did you wear with it?

Hey, that could be his elderly mother.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2017 15:29:13 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 May 2017 18:44:44 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>>

>>> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>>>
>>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

>>What was the restaurant and what did the menu say? I see a couple
>>Seattle restaurants with ham Reubens. Eww, you even have a smoked
>>salmon Reuben - sauerkraut on smoked salmon?!?!
>>
>>Love your outfit, BTW. What kind of perfume did you wear with it?

> Hey, that could be his elderly mother.

tell it to my vagina!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-15 1:58 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>
> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
> sauerkraut
>
> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
> out the error, but I will not be returning

It sounds like something Jill would be be posting from the club at Dataw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 15 May 2017 17:58:31 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
> > a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
> >
> > not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
> > sauerkraut
> >
> > the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
> > out the error, but I will not be returning

> I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
> other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
> SPAM doesn't work well.
>
> With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
> home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...stream/lightbo
> x/
>
> -sw

LOL! Somehow Sweet and Sour coleslaw didnt come back with me from
Hawaii but I do recall it. It's the sweet with nothing else that I do
not like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 8:50:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 May 2017 17:58:31 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
> >
> >> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
> >>
> >> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
> >> sauerkraut
> >>
> >> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
> >> out the error, but I will not be returning

> > I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
> > other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
> > SPAM doesn't work well.
> >
> > With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
> > home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
> >
> > -sw

> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>
> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

They should have called it a ham sandwich instead. Here's what I ate this morning. I'd rather have your sandwich - whatever it might be called.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...d3dRj9SMmZ2b8l
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2017 20:53:41 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> What was the restaurant and what did the menu say? I see a couple
>>> Seattle restaurants with ham Reubens. Eww, you even have a smoked
>>> salmon Reuben - sauerkraut on smoked salmon?!?!
>>>
>>> Love your outfit, BTW. What kind of perfume did you wear with it?

>> the menu said "Reuben"
>>
>> I could sue

> So it said "ham" in the description and somebody didn't read that
> part.
>
> -sw

you're really starving for entertainment, aren't you?

here's the online description:

Corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing on
grilled rye bread

http://www.countrysidecafewa.com/welcome/

the Burien location serves actual reubens

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 8:50:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > I do Sqreubens with Lower Sodium SPAM or Blck Pepper SPAM and all the
>> > other traditional stuff. It works pretty well. The regular full salt
>> > SPAM doesn't work well.
>> >
>> > With Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese, Hengstenberg German sauerkraut, and
>> > home made Russian dressing. It's multi-national.
>> >
>> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>> >
>> > -sw

>> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

> They should have called it a ham sandwich instead. Here's what I ate this morning. I'd rather have your sandwich - whatever it might be called.

exactly! it's a ham and cheese sandwich with sauerkraut and thousand
island dressing *shudder*

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...d3dRj9SMmZ2b8l

yeah the ham reuben was better

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 1:50:04 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
> >>
> >> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

> > They should have called it a ham sandwich instead. Here's what I ate this morning. I'd rather have your sandwich - whatever it might be called.
> >

> exactly! it's a ham and cheese sandwich with sauerkraut and thousand
> island dressing *shudder*
>
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...d3dRj9SMmZ2b8l

> yeah the ham reuben was better

I think we can all take comfort in the fact that no matter what you're eating, there's always somebody somewhere with a worse meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
>>>
>>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

>> What was the restaurant and what did the menu say? I see a couple
>> Seattle restaurants with ham Reubens. Eww, you even have a smoked
>> salmon Reuben - sauerkraut on smoked salmon?!?!
>>
>> Love your outfit, BTW. What kind of perfume did you wear with it?
>>
>> -sw

> the menu said "Reuben"
>
> I could sue

Now I am curious. Husband ate a Rueben in Seattle last Friday. It was he
http://lunaparkcafe.com/
They do theirs with pastrami.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 4:29:30 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> What was the restaurant and what did the menu say? I see a couple
> >> Seattle restaurants with ham Reubens. Eww, you even have a smoked
> >> salmon Reuben - sauerkraut on smoked salmon?!?!
> >>
> >> Love your outfit, BTW. What kind of perfume did you wear with it?
> >>
> >> -sw

> > the menu said "Reuben"
> >
> > I could sue

> Now I am curious. Husband ate a Rueben in Seattle last Friday. It was he
> http://lunaparkcafe.com/
> They do theirs with pastrami.

Luna Park Cafe looks like a fun place. Of course, Seattle is a great, vibrant, fun, place. OTOH, I always felt that Seattle was a place for the young folks - I fear I'm too old and non-trendy to fit in these days. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 4:29:30 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > the menu said "Reuben"
>> >
>> > I could sue

>> Now I am curious. Husband ate a Rueben in Seattle last Friday. It was
>> he
>> http://lunaparkcafe.com/
>> They do theirs with pastrami.

> Luna Park Cafe looks like a fun place. Of course, Seattle is a great,
> vibrant, fun, place. OTOH, I always felt that Seattle was a place for the
> young folks - I fear I'm too old and non-trendy to fit in these days.
> That's the breaks.

---

Nah. Everyone fits in here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 8:31:10 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Now I am curious. Husband ate a Rueben in Seattle last Friday. It was
> >> he
> >> http://lunaparkcafe.com/
> >> They do theirs with pastrami.

> > Luna Park Cafe looks like a fun place. Of course, Seattle is a great,
> > vibrant, fun, place. OTOH, I always felt that Seattle was a place for the
> > young folks - I fear I'm too old and non-trendy to fit in these days.
> > That's the breaks.

> ---
>
> Nah. Everyone fits in here.

We were there about 5 years ago. I just had to go to the Hendrix museum. Seattle reminds me of Liverpool in that there were many kids on the streets. I just had to go the Beatles museum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> the menu said "Reuben"
> >>
> >> I could sue

> > So it said "ham" in the description and somebody didn't read that
> > part.
> >
> > -sw

> you're really starving for entertainment, aren't you?

Steve's culinary concoction up there looks a coupla ingrown French Ticklers:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ench%20Tickler

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> The Greatest! wrote:
> > tert in seattle wrote:
> >
> >> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
> >>
> >> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
> >> sauerkraut
> >>
> >> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
> >> out the error, but I will not be returning

> > Ya KILLED that poor lil' reuben, tert....

> ya can't kill an abortion, Grog

"Gaia is crying..."

:-(

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 2:00:04 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>
> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
> sauerkraut
>
> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
> out the error, but I will not be returning

Ham is just wrong in a "reuben". I could see using pastrami,
but I'd rather have that without a lot of other flavors,
the better to enjoy the pastrami. Then again, I'm fairly
picky about where I order pastrami.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 4:29:30 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message

>> > the menu said "Reuben"
>> >
>> > I could sue

>> Now I am curious. Husband ate a Rueben in Seattle last Friday. It was he
>> http://lunaparkcafe.com/
>> They do theirs with pastrami.

> Luna Park Cafe looks like a fun place. Of course, Seattle is a great, vibrant, fun, place. OTOH, I always felt that Seattle was a place for the young folks - I fear I'm too old and non-trendy to fit in these days. That's the breaks.

I've been to Luna Park - it is all right, I felt welcome despite not
having any piercings or tats. West Seattle is a bit different from the
rest of the city. Seattle is overrated but I think I've blathered on
about that before so I'll stop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 May 2017 07:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 2:00:04 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
>> a "reuben" using ham instead of corned beef
>>
>> not one of those non-reubens with coleslaw or whatever, but with
>> sauerkraut
>>
>> the offending establishment did not charge me for it after I pointed
>> out the error, but I will not be returning

>Ham is just wrong in a "reuben".

Just call it a Ham Reuben and move on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-16 2:18 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

> I've been to Luna Park - it is all right, I felt welcome despite not
> having any piercings or tats. West Seattle is a bit different from the
> rest of the city. Seattle is overrated but I think I've blathered on
> about that before so I'll stop.

FWIW, my son was out that way last year. He met up with a friend in BC
and then travelled south to San Francisco. He told me about a town he
visited where he had the impression that everyone was a speed freak. I
think it was somewhere in Oregon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 8:20:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> Now I am curious. Husband ate a Rueben in Seattle last Friday. It was he
> >> http://lunaparkcafe.com/
> >> They do theirs with pastrami.

> > Luna Park Cafe looks like a fun place. Of course, Seattle is a great, vibrant, fun, place. OTOH, I always felt that Seattle was a place for the young folks - I fear I'm too old and non-trendy to fit in these days. That's the breaks.

> I've been to Luna Park - it is all right, I felt welcome despite not
> having any piercings or tats. West Seattle is a bit different from the
> rest of the city. Seattle is overrated but I think I've blathered on
> about that before so I'll stop.

I'd be interested in the differences between West Seattle and the rest of the city. If you'd rather not say, that's fine. As it goes, most people that live in a city will wonder what the fuss is about their town. That's normal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 1:50:04 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> oh yeah forgot to produce documentary evidence of the crime:
> >>
> >> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/stuff/fo..._reubenoid.jpg

> > They should have called it a ham sandwich instead. Here's what I ate this morning. I'd rather have your sandwich - whatever it might be called.
> >

> exactly! it's a ham and cheese sandwich with sauerkraut and thousand
> island dressing *shudder*
>
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...d3dRj9SMmZ2b8l

> yeah the ham reuben was better

In my town, rubens are not anything specific. Someone could call any sandwich on a longish roll a "ruben" and I'd be hard pressed to find any objection to it. OTOH, I like pastrami sandwiches and will order one - when I can find it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-16 7:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> In my town, rubens are not anything specific. Someone could call any
> sandwich on a longish roll a "ruben" and I'd be hard pressed to find
> any objection to it. OTOH, I like pastrami sandwiches and will order
> one - when I can find it.

On a long roll???????????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 2:02:50 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-16 7:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > In my town, rubens are not anything specific. Someone could call any
> > sandwich on a longish roll a "ruben" and I'd be hard pressed to find
> > any objection to it. OTOH, I like pastrami sandwiches and will order
> > one - when I can find it.
> >

> On a long roll???????????

You could tell me practically anything about a ruben sandwich and I'd believe you. As far as rubens goes, we're a bunch of rubes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 May 2017 17:26:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 2:02:50 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-05-16 7:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>> > In my town, rubens are not anything specific. Someone could call any
>> > sandwich on a longish roll a "ruben" and I'd be hard pressed to find
>> > any objection to it. OTOH, I like pastrami sandwiches and will order
>> > one - when I can find it.
>> >

>> On a long roll???????????

>You could tell me practically anything about a ruben sandwich and I'd believe you. As far as rubens goes, we're a bunch of rubes.

I think it's an American invention. I've never heard of it, let alone
ever gotten as passionate about it as some do. You just plonk stuff
you like on a roll and eat it. Not rocket science.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-16 8:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 2:02:50 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-05-16 7:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> In my town, rubens are not anything specific. Someone could call any
>>> sandwich on a longish roll a "ruben" and I'd be hard pressed to find
>>> any objection to it. OTOH, I like pastrami sandwiches and will order
>>> one - when I can find it.
>>>

>> On a long roll???????????

> You could tell me practically anything about a ruben sandwich and I'd believe you. As far as rubens goes, we're a bunch of rubes.

Google is your friend. A Rueben is a grilled sandwich. It has corned
beef, sauerkraut, Russian dressing between two slices of rye bread and
grilled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 8:20:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> > Luna Park Cafe looks like a fun place. Of course, Seattle is a great, vibrant, fun, place. OTOH, I always felt that Seattle was a place for the young folks - I fear I'm too old and non-trendy to fit in these days. That's the breaks.

>> I've been to Luna Park - it is all right, I felt welcome despite not
>> having any piercings or tats. West Seattle is a bit different from the
>> rest of the city. Seattle is overrated but I think I've blathered on
>> about that before so I'll stop.

> I'd be interested in the differences between West Seattle and the rest of the city. If you'd rather not say, that's fine. As it goes, most people that live in a city will wonder what the fuss is about their town. That's normal.

Along Alki Ave is as close as Seattle has to something like a beach in
San Diego. West Seattle is isolated from the rest of the city and feels
more relaxed to me.

Reuben Pie [email protected] General Cooking 16 14-12-2010 02:17 AM
HOT REUBEN DIP fox Recipes 0 25-05-2005 07:19 PM
Salsa Reuben Dip Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 09-01-2005 02:00 AM
Can I keep a food atrocity thread in this newsgroup? ggg Asian Cooking 1 02-01-2005 06:03 AM
West Bengal tea garden atrocity Lewis Perin Tea 3 08-11-2003 09:22 AM