Lewis Perin

Default West Bengal tea garden atrocity

Thursday there was a mass murder, apparently related to a labor
struggle, in a West Bengal garden. It hasn't received much attention
in the Western media but there is this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3246079.stm

You can also find stories in the South Asian press by searching Google
News at

http://news.google.com/

but I was confused by the articles I've seen there because they're
written for readers familiar with the political situation. Ripon, do
you have anything to say about this? SMC, are you reading this?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Ripon

Lewis Perin > wrote in message >...
> Thursday there was a mass murder, apparently related to a labor
> struggle, in a West Bengal garden. It hasn't received much attention
> in the Western media but there is this article:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3246079.stm
>
> You can also find stories in the South Asian press by searching Google
> News at
>
> http://news.google.com/
>
> but I was confused by the articles I've seen there because they're
> written for readers familiar with the political situation. Ripon, do
> you have anything to say about this? SMC, are you reading this?
>
> /Lew

Lew:

Well, this news came to the local newspaper yesterday and today.
According to this article in BBC.com my understanding is the tea
gardens are hiring new labourers to replace some existing laborers who
were probably trying to bargain for their rights (which 9 times out of
ten are never taken into consideration by the owners). They are
feeling threatened. If they lose their jobs then it will be difficult
for them to survive and feed their families. That's why this pathetic
incident happened. I think, they need to try to provide some basic
rights (better wages including back pay and overtime pay which is
usually late or not given, medical facilities, better working and
living conditions, maternity leave, work on a contract basis rather
than oral commitment -- this makes it very easy to fire people, etc.
etc.) with the exisiting labourers who's financial and social
situation is very tenuous.

Talking about trade unions, there are always two groups: one which
really represents laborers and another which just works for the
owners. The latter are almost always very connected to political
leaders. This is an old traditional culture in south Asian politics.
For this kind of practice, the rights of labourers are always
jeporadised. The labour union leaders get hefty benefits from the
owners by not fighting for the mass labourers' rights. These labour
union leaders are praised by owners and sometimes by the government.
This way the real labor rights movement always fails. I think for
this kind of frustration many incidents happen and will continue in
the near future. Some serious solutions are needed in the tea gardens
where labourers will get fresh water, clean toilets, fair wages, a
fair working environment, decent living conditions, good medical
facilities, etc. Thats all I can say right now. I would love to know
what other readers think about this issue.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Agalena

"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
> Lewis Perin > wrote in message

> > Thursday there was a mass murder, apparently related to a labor
> > struggle, in a West Bengal garden. It hasn't received much attention
> > in the Western media but there is this article:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3246079.stm
> >
> > You can also find stories in the South Asian press by searching Google
> > News at
> >
> > http://news.google.com/
> >
> > but I was confused by the articles I've seen there because they're
> > written for readers familiar with the political situation. Ripon, do
> > you have anything to say about this? SMC, are you reading this?
> >
> > /Lew

> Lew:
>
> Well, this news came to the local newspaper yesterday and today.
> According to this article in BBC.com my understanding is the tea
> gardens are hiring new labourers to replace some existing laborers who
> were probably trying to bargain for their rights (which 9 times out of
> ten are never taken into consideration by the owners). They are
> feeling threatened. If they lose their jobs then it will be difficult
> for them to survive and feed their families. That's why this pathetic
> incident happened. I think, they need to try to provide some basic
> rights (better wages including back pay and overtime pay which is
> usually late or not given, medical facilities, better working and
> living conditions, maternity leave, work on a contract basis rather
> than oral commitment -- this makes it very easy to fire people, etc.
> etc.) with the exisiting labourers who's financial and social
> situation is very tenuous.
>
> Talking about trade unions, there are always two groups: one which
> really represents laborers and another which just works for the
> owners. The latter are almost always very connected to political
> leaders. This is an old traditional culture in south Asian politics.
> For this kind of practice, the rights of labourers are always
> jeporadised. The labour union leaders get hefty benefits from the
> owners by not fighting for the mass labourers' rights. These labour
> union leaders are praised by owners and sometimes by the government.
> This way the real labor rights movement always fails. I think for
> this kind of frustration many incidents happen and will continue in
> the near future. Some serious solutions are needed in the tea gardens
> where labourers will get fresh water, clean toilets, fair wages, a
> fair working environment, decent living conditions, good medical
> facilities, etc. Thats all I can say right now. I would love to know
> what other readers think about this issue.
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

Thanks for the background information. I think it's appalling that the
workers are treated so poorly. I'd gladly pay more for my tea if I thought
it would mean better conditions for the workers. I try to support tea
merchants who consider the labor and environmental practices of the tea
producers. Strand Tea Company (www.strandtea.com) is one such tea company. I
don't work for them. I'm just a satisfied customer. Do you know of any other
companies that try to buy from tea producers who treat their workers well?

Agalena

fLameDogg

"Agalena" > wrote in

> Thanks for the background information. I think it's appalling that the
> workers are treated so poorly. I'd gladly pay more for my tea if I
> thought it would mean better conditions for the workers. I try to
> support tea merchants who consider the labor and environmental
> practices of the tea producers. Strand Tea Company (www.strandtea.com)
> is one such tea company. I don't work for them. I'm just a satisfied
> customer. Do you know of any other companies that try to buy from tea
> producers who treat their workers well?

I've noticed the term "fairly traded" here and there since I first got
curious about yerba maté, and now tea. I typed "fair trade" into Google
and came up with some interesting links, but I'm not sure where to begin
with it all. Also, typing "fair trade tea" into Google serves up more than
a quarter-million links, so therein might be some useful information.

--
fD

reuben atrocity tert in seattle General Cooking 36 17-05-2017 04:43 PM
Bengal cuisine [email protected] General Cooking 1 28-10-2006 07:16 PM
Chiles! was Bengal Chutney The Joneses Preserving 7 17-04-2006 06:38 PM
Bengal Chutney Old Rocker Preserving 2 14-04-2006 06:24 PM
Can I keep a food atrocity thread in this newsgroup? ggg Asian Cooking 1 02-01-2005 06:03 AM