Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen flakes not clumping in Freezer

A while ago visiting someone i saw them add frozen flakes of mixed
garlic and ginger out of the freezer to their cooking.
Very convenient.

when i grate ginger and chopped garlic it all just freezes in hard
clumps sticking together.

I'm unable to contact the person concerned, so any ideas of how to keep
the flakes separated in the frezer without clumping together. Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:
> On 13-Mar-2017, john west > wrote:
>
>> A while ago visiting someone i saw them add frozen flakes of mixed
>> garlic and ginger out of the freezer to their cooking.
>> Very convenient.
>>
>> when i grate ginger and chopped garlic it all just freezes in hard
>> clumps sticking together.
>>
>> I'm unable to contact the person concerned, so any ideas of how to keep
>> the flakes separated in the frezer without clumping together. Thanks

> Spread the flakes out on parchment or wax paper lined sheet pan, in a very
> thin layer. Freeze for at least 2 hours, overnight is best. Prepare
> containers by pre-chilling; then, quickly, break up any clumps and put the
> flakes in containers, then into freezer. When using; be quick in extracting
> what you need and get the rest back in the freezer before it begins to thaw.

easier to freeze the ginger whole and grate or slice finely frozen.I do
not bother freezing with garlic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:49:10 AM UTC-10, john west wrote:
> A while ago visiting someone i saw them add frozen flakes of mixed
> garlic and ginger out of the freezer to their cooking.
> Very convenient.
>
> when i grate ginger and chopped garlic it all just freezes in hard
> clumps sticking together.
>
> I'm unable to contact the person concerned, so any ideas of how to keep
> the flakes separated in the frezer without clumping together. Thanks

You might want to get yourself 3 pounds of minced garlic. I go through about a pound a month. Such a deal!

http://www.mashupmom.com/wp-content/...-at-costco.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:04:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:49:10 AM UTC-10, john west wrote:
>> A while ago visiting someone i saw them add frozen flakes of mixed
>> garlic and ginger out of the freezer to their cooking.
>> Very convenient.
>>
>> when i grate ginger and chopped garlic it all just freezes in hard
>> clumps sticking together.
>>
>> I'm unable to contact the person concerned, so any ideas of how to keep
>> the flakes separated in the frezer without clumping together. Thanks

>You might want to get yourself 3 pounds of minced garlic. I go through about a pound a month. Such a deal!
>
>http://www.mashupmom.com/wp-content/...-at-costco.jpg

You probably don't want to know what those cloves looked like whole.

Chilli Flakes TheGolfersWife General Cooking 15 18-04-2007 06:14 AM
frozen shrimp, how long will they keep in freezer? bd General Cooking 18 07-04-2007 06:42 PM
frozen loose flakes of garlic and ginger Torge General Cooking 23 23-08-2006 04:05 AM
Fish 'n Flakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 16-10-2005 06:28 PM
Suggestions for replacing a dead Sub-Zero freezer (besides a _new_Sub-Zero freezer...) Ted Goldblatt Cooking Equipment 2 28-08-2004 01:23 PM