Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chilli Flakes

Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?

The Golfer's Wife
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGolfersWife wrote:
> Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
> contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?

The ones I buy include the seeds.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 5:45 pm, Serene-y the Meanie >
wrote:
> TheGolfersWife wrote:
> > Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
> > contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?

> The ones I buy include the seeds.
>
> Serene

so do the ones I buy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<TheGolfersWife> wrote in message
> Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
> contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?
>

> The Golfer's Wife

I see seeds in the container I have. If you put some of yours in the palm of
your hand, do you see seeds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Kathy-in-NZ" > wrote:

> On Apr 15, 5:45 pm, Serene-y the Meanie >
> wrote:
> > TheGolfersWife wrote:
> > > Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
> > > contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?

> > The ones I buy include the seeds.
> >
> > Serene

> so do the ones I buy

mine too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGolfersWife wrote:

> Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
> contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?

They include the seeds. That is where most of the heat comes from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mine always have the seeds. I dry the ones from my garden and use most of
the year.

<TheGolfersWife> wrote in message
> Do the chilli flakes that form an ingredient in many American recipes
> contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?
>

> The Golfer's Wife

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you all for confirming what I actually figured. Then 1 tsp
chilli flakes in a pasta dish to feed 6 people is going to be very
very hot isn't it? Especially with garlic as well.

I have never eaten pasta with chilli in it in Italy - nor in New
Zealand come to that. Is it an Italian-American thing?

The Golfer's Wife
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<TheGolfersWife> wrote in message
> Thank you all for confirming what I actually figured. Then 1 tsp
> chilli flakes in a pasta dish to feed 6 people is going to be very
> very hot isn't it? Especially with garlic as well.
>
> I have never eaten pasta with chilli in it in Italy - nor in New
> Zealand come to that. Is it an Italian-American thing?
>

> The Golfer's Wife

If any of the 6 are infirm, or like to whine about food, that much red
pepper may be a problem. "Aw jeez...I'm sorry. I should've told you I can't
eat spaghetti sauce if it's got tomatoes in it. Bad yin-yang balance. I get
violently ill. Do you have any organic barley paste?" People like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 10:43 pm, TheGolfersWife <> wrote:
> Thank you all for confirming what I actually figured. Then 1 tsp
> chilli flakes in a pasta dish to feed 6 people is going to be very
> very hot isn't it? Especially with garlic as well.
>
> I have never eaten pasta with chilli in it in Italy - nor in New
> Zealand come to that. Is it an Italian-American thing?

Pretty hot, yes, although pasta itself is fairly bland and will
neutralize some of the sensation of heat. By the way,
most Americans don't think of garlic as "hot".

It's possible, of course, that the chile flakes that we buy
in the grocery store are not as hot as the ones you use.
Would it be possible for you to add maybe half a teaspoon
of chile flakes, taste the dish, and then add more if it still
seems it could take some more?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGolfersWife wrote:
> Do the chilli flakes that form *an ingredient in many American recipes
> contain the chilli seeds or omit them please?

Yes, they contain the seeds... even chili powder (ie. ground cayenne,
etc.) is ground seeds and all. If you've ever attempted to pick out
the seeds you'd know why they're in there... and were the seeds
discarded so would about 80pct by weight. The trick to using hot
pepper in cooked dishes is to use less than is called for and then
taste, you can always add more but you can't subtract... and typically
every batch of chili peppers is a different strength, so even when
sprinkling it's wise to try a tiny amount before just laying it on.
All seasoning quantities written in recipies are only a guide... when
it's a first try always reduce the amount of every seasoning,
especially the more potent ones, most especially when you're an
inexperienced cook.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGolfersWife wrote:

> Thank you all for confirming what I actually figured. Then 1 tsp
> chilli flakes in a pasta dish to feed 6 people is going to be very
> very hot isn't it? Especially with garlic as well.
>
> I have never eaten pasta with chilli in it in Italy - nor in New
> Zealand come to that. Is it an Italian-American thing?

I only spent a few days in Italy (north) and don't remember seeing dried
chilli flakes in restaurants, but there are a lot of Italians living in
this part of Canada and a lot of Italian restaurants and pizzerias and they
are a common condiment.

I was shown how to make pasta and oil with garlic by an Italian friend.
While the pasta is cooking, sauté a lot of garlic in olive oil with dried
chilli flakes. Cooking the garlic until is golden brown gives it a sweet,
nutty taste, much different from the heartburn inducing sensation I get
from raw garlic. Do not let it get too dark because it becomes bitter.
Toss the pasta in the oil and garlic and top with Parmesan, preferably
freshly grated. When I make it for two I use at least 4 large cloves of
garlic and about 1 tsp. of chilli flakes.

It is delicious. It is even better in the spring when you can get some
nice fresh asparagus, but it into 1-2 inch pieces and fry it with the
garlic and peppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGolfersWife <> wrote:

> I have never eaten pasta with chilli in it in Italy - nor in New
> Zealand come to that. Is it an Italian-American thing?

Penne all'arrabbiata - surely you have heard of it? - is as
Italian-Italian as any post-Columbus dish could be. A classic.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:59:40 +1200, TheGolfersWife <> wrote:

>Yes it probably is; I go to Italy frequently (the north) and while it
>may well be on the menu, I have never eaten any Italian dish in the
>north - either at restaurants or at people's homes - that had any
>chilli in it it at all. But I have seen many Italian dishes on menus
>in the USA featuring chilli - and many other non-Italian dishes as
>well - I just think it may be an American amendment in many cases.
>This is not a criticism but merely an observation.

Northern Italian cooking is more French style (butter/cream sauces and
all) - so that's no big surprise.

--
See return address to reply by email

Gritty Flakes [email protected] Winemaking 7 25-01-2010 02:30 AM
Need Help Crystal Flakes [email protected] Wine 2 10-01-2010 09:22 PM
WiredforWine -- flakes Lon[_2_] Wine 1 18-12-2009 06:38 AM
red pepper flakes blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 26 01-10-2009 09:21 AM
Fish 'n Flakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 16-10-2005 06:28 PM