Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb Leg Chops

I had never before seen lamb leg chops but my wife bought some at the
butcher yesterday. This could be my new favourite cut of meat. She
marinated them for a while with olive oil, lemon, garlic and rosemary
and then cooked them in the grill pan. They were delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:12:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I had never before seen lamb leg chops but my wife bought some at the
> butcher yesterday. This could be my new favourite cut of meat. She
> marinated them for a while with olive oil, lemon, garlic and rosemary
> and then cooked them in the grill pan. They were delicious.

Sounds wonderful. Haven't seen those at the store in practically
forever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:24:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:12:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> I had never before seen lamb leg chops but my wife bought some at the
>> butcher yesterday. This could be my new favourite cut of meat. She
>> marinated them for a while with olive oil, lemon, garlic and rosemary
>> and then cooked them in the grill pan. They were delicious.

>Sounds wonderful. Haven't seen those at the store in practically
>forever.

I raise sheep as you probably know by now, so that's where my
lamb-mutton (as opposed to purely 'lamb') comes from. I never butcher
the legs and leave them whole - they're too big - usually I'll cut one
or two pieces for roasts and make chops from the rest. I've heard them
being called steaks more often than chops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-07 12:32 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:24:47 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:12:34 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I had never before seen lamb leg chops but my wife bought some at the
>>> butcher yesterday. This could be my new favourite cut of meat. She
>>> marinated them for a while with olive oil, lemon, garlic and rosemary
>>> and then cooked them in the grill pan. They were delicious.

>> Sounds wonderful. Haven't seen those at the store in practically
>> forever.

> I raise sheep as you probably know by now, so that's where my
> lamb-mutton (as opposed to purely 'lamb') comes from. I never butcher
> the legs and leave them whole - they're too big - usually I'll cut one
> or two pieces for roasts and make chops from the rest. I've heard them
> being called steaks more often than chops.

I have always considered chops to come from the rib cage. I wonder if
the name comes from the old, pre bandsaw method of cutting them. The
village butcher used to use a knife to cut down between the ribs and
then use a cleaver to chop through the spine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 06:32:26 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> I raise sheep as you probably know by now, so that's where my
> lamb-mutton (as opposed to purely 'lamb') comes from. I never butcher
> the legs and leave them whole - they're too big - usually I'll cut one
> or two pieces for roasts and make chops from the rest. I've heard them
> being called steaks more often than chops.

I hear you. When my mother raised sheep, she'd have one butchered to
my specifications, so I opted for a couple of leg steaks, boneless
rolled roasts instead of bone in leg, and frenched racks. I could buy
lamb steaks in the grocery stores back then too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 12:41:10 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2017-01-07 12:32 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:24:47 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:12:34 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Sounds wonderful. Haven't seen those at the store in practically
>>> forever.

>> I raise sheep as you probably know by now, so that's where my
>> lamb-mutton (as opposed to purely 'lamb') comes from. I never butcher
>> the legs and leave them whole - they're too big - usually I'll cut one
>> or two pieces for roasts and make chops from the rest. I've heard them
>> being called steaks more often than chops.
>>

>I have always considered chops to come from the rib cage.

Yes, also the shoulder and loin IMO. Sometimes I keep the backstrap
whole (yum!), sometimes I'll cut that up into 'cutlets', at least
that's they are called in Australia.

> I wonder if
>the name comes from the old, pre bandsaw method of cutting them. The
>village butcher used to use a knife to cut down between the ribs and
>then use a cleaver to chop through the spine.

Could be?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:47:11 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 06:32:26 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> I raise sheep as you probably know by now, so that's where my
>> lamb-mutton (as opposed to purely 'lamb') comes from. I never butcher
>> the legs and leave them whole - they're too big - usually I'll cut one
>> or two pieces for roasts and make chops from the rest. I've heard them
>> being called steaks more often than chops.

>I hear you. When my mother raised sheep, she'd have one butchered to
>my specifications, so I opted for a couple of leg steaks, boneless
>rolled roasts instead of bone in leg, and frenched racks. I could buy
>lamb steaks in the grocery stores back then too.

I'm taken aback at the prices for lamb in Australia now. I'm highly
tempted to increase the size of my flock considerably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 07:02:57 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> I'm taken aback at the prices for lamb in Australia now. I'm highly
> tempted to increase the size of my flock considerably.

If you can sell them at a profit, go for it. Mom babied her sheep.
They got alfalfa twice a day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 23:33:25 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 07:02:57 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> I'm taken aback at the prices for lamb in Australia now. I'm highly
>> tempted to increase the size of my flock considerably.

>If you can sell them at a profit, go for it. Mom babied her sheep.
>They got alfalfa twice a day.

Mine get fed alfalfa/lucerne sometimes but they really don't need it
(I can get $15 per bale of that stuff). The pastures are extremely
rich after all the time and money I put into them and they're spoiled
silly for good food.

Lamb chops - what would 'you' do?` Sky General Cooking 26 05-01-2013 02:43 PM
Lamb Chops which is best? Phred General Cooking 31 13-04-2009 09:17 PM
Lamb Chops which is best? koko General Cooking 28 12-04-2009 06:35 PM
Lamb Chops Dimitri General Cooking 18 10-03-2007 07:16 PM
Lamb Chops jay General Cooking 11 24-08-2006 01:48 PM