Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb Chops which is best?

In article >, "Jean B."
> wrote:
>mom peagram wrote:

[snip]

>> I like New Zealand lamb. The Australian is milder and the US is

milder
>> still. Not enough lamb taste

I'm surprised you can get NZ lamb -- the Kiwis are said to be *very*
fond of it themselves; I didn't think they would share. ;-)

>Thanks for this. I gather Icelandic lamb is also mild. Gee, if I
>want lamb, I want it to taste like lamb.

When I was a kid (!) here in the deep north of the deep south the lamb
we got was, err, potent (and that in spite of the purple stain
asserting its authenticity as Real Lamb). My father often remarked
"If this is two-tooth lamb it's only because it has lost the rest!"
(Or else: "It's been a long time since this lamb saw its mother.")

I had crumbed lamb loin chops for dinner this evening. Used some sort
of Moroccan seasoning in the flour to dredge it before dipping in egg
and then breadcrumbs then "marinating" in the fridge for about 3 hours
(not intended to be that long :-) before frying in a smidgeon of
peanut oil along with onion, garlic, chillies, and tomato. Ate with
boiled spuds and par-boiled French beans (the latter stirred through
with a bit of butter and a pinch of nutmeg). Finished with a couple
of home garden Imperial mandarins as a "palate cleanser".

Now it's friggin' 1 a.m. and I'm still wide awake! But at least I've
still got two of the chops to eat cold with salad tomorrow night! :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Jean B."
> > wrote:
>>mom peagram wrote:

> [snip]
>>>
>>> I like New Zealand lamb. The Australian is milder and the US is

> milder
>>> still. Not enough lamb taste

> I'm surprised you can get NZ lamb -- the Kiwis are said to be *very*
> fond of it themselves; I didn't think they would share. ;-)
>
>>Thanks for this. I gather Icelandic lamb is also mild. Gee, if I
>>want lamb, I want it to taste like lamb.

> When I was a kid (!) here in the deep north of the deep south the lamb
> we got was, err, potent (and that in spite of the purple stain
> asserting its authenticity as Real Lamb). My father often remarked
> "If this is two-tooth lamb it's only because it has lost the rest!"
> (Or else: "It's been a long time since this lamb saw its mother.")
>
> I had crumbed lamb loin chops for dinner this evening. Used some sort
> of Moroccan seasoning in the flour to dredge it before dipping in egg
> and then breadcrumbs then "marinating" in the fridge for about 3 hours
> (not intended to be that long :-) before frying in a smidgeon of
> peanut oil along with onion, garlic, chillies, and tomato. Ate with
> boiled spuds and par-boiled French beans (the latter stirred through
> with a bit of butter and a pinch of nutmeg). Finished with a couple
> of home garden Imperial mandarins as a "palate cleanser".
>
> Now it's friggin' 1 a.m. and I'm still wide awake! But at least I've
> still got two of the chops to eat cold with salad tomorrow night! :-)
>

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

That's the problem. New Zealand lamb is becoming scarcer. Can't find it
where we are in TX and our normal provider in Ontario has switched to
Australian.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom peagram wrote:

> "Phred" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Jean B."
>> > wrote:
>>> mom peagram wrote:

>> [snip]

>> milder

>> I'm surprised you can get NZ lamb -- the Kiwis are said to be *very*
>> fond of it themselves; I didn't think they would share. ;-)
>>
>>> Thanks for this. I gather Icelandic lamb is also mild. Gee, if I
>>> want lamb, I want it to taste like lamb.

>> When I was a kid (!) here in the deep north of the deep south the lamb
>> we got was, err, potent (and that in spite of the purple stain
>> asserting its authenticity as Real Lamb). My father often remarked
>> "If this is two-tooth lamb it's only because it has lost the rest!"
>> (Or else: "It's been a long time since this lamb saw its mother.")
>>
>> I had crumbed lamb loin chops for dinner this evening. Used some sort
>> of Moroccan seasoning in the flour to dredge it before dipping in egg
>> and then breadcrumbs then "marinating" in the fridge for about 3 hours
>> (not intended to be that long :-) before frying in a smidgeon of
>> peanut oil along with onion, garlic, chillies, and tomato. Ate with
>> boiled spuds and par-boiled French beans (the latter stirred through
>> with a bit of butter and a pinch of nutmeg). Finished with a couple
>> of home garden Imperial mandarins as a "palate cleanser".
>>
>> Now it's friggin' 1 a.m. and I'm still wide awake! But at least I've
>> still got two of the chops to eat cold with salad tomorrow night! :-)
>>

>> Cheers, Phred.
>>
>> --
>> LID
>>

> That's the problem. New Zealand lamb is becoming scarcer. Can't find
> it where we are in TX and our normal provider in Ontario has switched to
> Australian.

Um, do I dare look at the provenance of the lamb I got for
tomorrow? Damn! It's Australian. Someday I'll go down and look
at the other boneless leg I put in the freezer.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:51:15 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>mom peagram wrote:
>>
>> That's the problem. New Zealand lamb is becoming scarcer. Can't find
>> it where we are in TX and our normal provider in Ontario has switched to
>> Australian.
>>

>Um, do I dare look at the provenance of the lamb I got for
>tomorrow? Damn! It's Australian. Someday I'll go down and look
>at the other boneless leg I put in the freezer.

Mine is New Zealand - doing the happy dance!

I wonder why so few NZ lambs are to be found?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:

>> I'm surprised you can get NZ lamb -- the Kiwis are said to be *very*
>> fond of it themselves; I didn't think they would share. ;-)

> Heh.
>
> We get what's left over from the export trade, and believe me, we pay
> for it.

I've heard similar things about Idaho and potatoes: Although Idaho has acre
after acre of potato fields, it's apparently very difficult and expensive to
buy Idaho potatoes there. Of course the farmers (and NZ ranchers) are going
to sell their products at the most lucrative market. I suppose if you *were*
an Idaho potato farmer or a New Zealand lamb rancher you could get the pick
of the bunch, but everybody else has to pay the going rate.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
>
> >> I'm surprised you can get NZ lamb -- the Kiwis are said to be *very*
> >> fond of it themselves; I didn't think they would share. ;-)

> > Heh.
> >
> > We get what's left over from the export trade, and believe me, we pay
> > for it.

> I've heard similar things about Idaho and potatoes: Although Idaho has acre
> after acre of potato fields, it's apparently very difficult and expensive to
> buy Idaho potatoes there. Of course the farmers (and NZ ranchers) are going
> to sell their products at the most lucrative market. I suppose if you *were*
> an Idaho potato farmer or a New Zealand lamb rancher you could get the pick
> of the bunch, but everybody else has to pay the going rate.

We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
grow wheat.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>

>> I've heard similar things about Idaho and potatoes: Although Idaho
>> has acre after acre of potato fields, it's apparently very difficult
>> and expensive to buy Idaho potatoes there. Of course the farmers (and
>> NZ ranchers) are going to sell their products at the most lucrative
>> market. I suppose if you *were* an Idaho potato farmer or a New
>> Zealand lamb rancher you could get the pick of the bunch, but
>> everybody else has to pay the going rate.

> We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
> grow wheat.

I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.

The really large livestock properties are often called stations rather
than farms, and those who run sheep and cattle might get called
graziers, but mostly they're just all farmers :-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Rhonda Anderson > wrote:

> Miche > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> >

> >> I've heard similar things about Idaho and potatoes: Although Idaho
> >> has acre after acre of potato fields, it's apparently very difficult
> >> and expensive to buy Idaho potatoes there. Of course the farmers (and
> >> NZ ranchers) are going to sell their products at the most lucrative
> >> market. I suppose if you *were* an Idaho potato farmer or a New
> >> Zealand lamb rancher you could get the pick of the bunch, but
> >> everybody else has to pay the going rate.

> > We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
> > grow wheat.
> >

> I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
> and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.
>
> The really large livestock properties are often called stations rather
> than farms, and those who run sheep and cattle might get called
> graziers, but mostly they're just all farmers :-)

Yeah, same here. And same with the larger farms being called stations,
too.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:
>> In article >,
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>>> [...] Of course the farmers (and NZ ranchers)
>>> are going to sell their products at the most lucrative
>>> market. I suppose if you *were* an Idaho potato farmer or a New
>>> Zealand lamb rancher you could get the pick of the bunch, but
>>> everybody else has to pay the going rate.

>> We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
>> grow wheat.

>I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
>and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.
>
>The really large livestock properties are often called stations rather
>than farms, and those who run sheep and cattle might get called
>graziers, but mostly they're just all farmers :-)

That might be true down in your civilised part of Oz, but up here
you'd be lucky to even find a tractor on some of the cattle stations!

(Okay, okay; a bit of an exageration, I know... Most would have at
least an old grey Fergie. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote:

>Miche > wrote in

>> We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
>> grow wheat.

>I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
>and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.

Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

>> I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
>> and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.

> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.

My father grew up on a rabbit ranch. They raised Angora rabbits back in
the 30s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> mom peagram wrote:
>>
>> "Phred" > wrote in message
>>> In article >, "Jean B."
>>> [snip]

>>> milder
>>>
>>> I'm surprised you can get NZ lamb -- the Kiwis are said to be *very*
>>> fond of it themselves; I didn't think they would share. ;-)

>>> When I was a kid (!) here in the deep north of the deep south the lamb
>>> we got was, err, potent (and that in spite of the purple stain
>>> asserting its authenticity as Real Lamb). My father often remarked
>>> "If this is two-tooth lamb it's only because it has lost the rest!"
>>> (Or else: "It's been a long time since this lamb saw its mother.")
>>>
>>> I had crumbed lamb loin chops for dinner this evening. Used some sort
>>> of Moroccan seasoning in the flour to dredge it before dipping in egg
>>> and then breadcrumbs then "marinating" in the fridge for about 3 hours
>>> (not intended to be that long :-) before frying in a smidgeon of
>>> peanut oil along with onion, garlic, chillies, and tomato. Ate with
>>> boiled spuds and par-boiled French beans (the latter stirred through
>>> with a bit of butter and a pinch of nutmeg). Finished with a couple
>>> of home garden Imperial mandarins as a "palate cleanser".
>>>
>>> Now it's friggin' 1 a.m. and I'm still wide awake! But at least I've
>>> still got two of the chops to eat cold with salad tomorrow night! :-)
>>>

>>> Cheers, Phred.
>>>
>>> --
>>> LID
>>>

>> That's the problem. New Zealand lamb is becoming scarcer. Can't find it
>> where we are in TX and our normal provider in Ontario has switched to
>> Australian.
>>

> Um, do I dare look at the provenance of the lamb I got for tomorrow?
> Damn! It's Australian. Someday I'll go down and look at the other
> boneless leg I put in the freezer.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Yep, New Zealand lamb has been drying up.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
>

>> Miche > wrote in
>>

>>> We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
>>> grow wheat.
>>>

>> I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
>> and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.
>>

> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.
>
> S.

I thought, if you raised livestock it was a ranch, if you grew plants it
was a farm.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:51:15 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>>mom peagram wrote:
>>>
>>> That's the problem. New Zealand lamb is becoming scarcer. Can't find
>>> it where we are in TX and our normal provider in Ontario has switched to
>>> Australian.
>>>

>>Um, do I dare look at the provenance of the lamb I got for
>>tomorrow? Damn! It's Australian. Someday I'll go down and look
>>at the other boneless leg I put in the freezer.

> Mine is New Zealand - doing the happy dance!
>
> I wonder why so few NZ lambs are to be found?
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I don't understand it. It used to be widely available. I just checked and
it is a Canadian Company and from what the website shows it should be
available. Perhaps my store has just stopped carrying it. I will speak to
them when I get home.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
>
>> Miche > wrote in

>>> We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
>>> grow wheat.

>> I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
>> and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.

> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.
>
> S.

I live in a pecan heavy state and have never heard of a pecan farmer
referred to as a "pecan rancher". Where have you heard this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
> >

> >> Miche > wrote in

> >> I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
> >> and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.
> >>

> > Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.

> I thought, if you raised livestock it was a ranch, if you grew plants it
> was a farm.

That's true for where you live, but not where I live.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.

>My father grew up on a rabbit ranch. They raised Angora rabbits back in
>the 30s.

Right. Well, rabbits are animals. I'd like to think if you're
raising animals, you're a rancher, whereas if you're growing
plants, you're a farmer. But then I have a simplistic
black-and-white view of the world.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.

>I thought, if you raised livestock it was a ranch, if you grew plants it
>was a farm.

Yes!

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers

>I live in a pecan heavy state and have never heard of a pecan farmer
>referred to as a "pecan rancher". Where have you heard this?

Out around west Texas and Las Cruces...

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote:

> Becca > wrote:

>> I thought, if you raised livestock it was a ranch, if you grew
>> plants it was a farm.

>That's true for where you live, but not where I live.

Noted.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote:

>Just occurred to me - what do you call a property that raises cattle for
>milk production? That would be a dairy farm here - do you call it a
>ranch or is that an exception to the rule?

Usually just a "dairy". If it's more than that, I'm not
sure if "diary farm" or "dairy ranch" is more common.
The milk we buy says "Strauss Famliy Creamery", so that
is another permutation.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > , Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
(Phred) wrote in
:
>> In article >, Rhonda
>> Anderson > wrote:
>>>
>>>The really large livestock properties are often called stations rather
>>>than farms, and those who run sheep and cattle might get called
>>>graziers, but mostly they're just all farmers :-)

>> That might be true down in your civilised part of Oz, but up here
>> you'd be lucky to even find a tractor on some of the cattle stations!
>>
>> (Okay, okay; a bit of an exaggeration, I know... Most would have at
>> least an old grey Fergie. :-)

>Well, as I mentioned, we might call them graziers instead. But I bet
>they belong to the National Farmers' Federation :-)

There was some sort of brawl going on up here last week about things
like that, but I can't remember exactly who was being accused of not
supporting the NFF.

>Thinking about it, I think a few of them would probably be called
>"corporations" now. Are many of the really huge stations still privately
>owned?

I suspect bugger all since that Pommie bloke [Lord Vesty] who once
controlled about 30,000 square miles of the place. (That's about 1%
of the whole bloody continent -- 100 of such *******s would have owned
the lot!) He was close to owning so much of us that it was almost
possible to walk right across the nation without setting foot off
Vesty's land.

ObFood: I enjoyed my lamb [loin] chops so much (both hot with vegies
and later cold with an avocado salad) that I bought another tray of
the things today. (I hope people don't start to think I'm a Kiwi. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:50:10 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
>
>>Miche > wrote in

>>> We don't call 'em "ranchers". They're farmers, same as the guys who
>>> grow wheat.

>>I was waiting to see if you replied - I know we don't use rancher here,
>>and thought it was probably the same for you guys but wasn't positive.

> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers, etc.
>
> S.

don't forget jolly ranchers!

your pal,
waylon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:12:53 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Goomba > wrote:
>
>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> Whereas in the U.S. you have Pecan Ranchers

>>I live in a pecan heavy state and have never heard of a pecan farmer
>>referred to as a "pecan rancher". Where have you heard this?

> Out around west Texas and Las Cruces...
>
> S.

i was gonna say, 'prolly texas.' george bush thought he could pass as a
rancher there.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:12:53 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>

>> Goomba > wrote:

>>> I live in a pecan heavy state and have never heard of a pecan farmer
>>> referred to as a "pecan rancher". Where have you heard this?
>>>

>> Out around west Texas and Las Cruces...
>>
>> S.
>>

> i was gonna say, 'prolly texas.' george bush thought he could pass as a
> rancher there.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Years ago, people in Texas said Bush was "All hat, no cattle", you can
figure out what that means.

Becca

Lamb Leg Chops Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 9 08-01-2017 08:41 AM
Lamb chops - what would 'you' do?` Sky General Cooking 26 05-01-2013 02:43 PM
Lamb Chops which is best? koko General Cooking 28 12-04-2009 06:35 PM
Lamb Chops Dimitri General Cooking 18 10-03-2007 07:16 PM
Lamb Chops jay General Cooking 11 24-08-2006 01:48 PM