Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Lamb chops - what would 'you' do?`

Subject line says it all It's definitely not a good idea to grocery
shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception.

Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
to prep and cook lamb chops? I'm used to the traditional (?)
rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and
served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy
and fast preparations for medium-rare results.

Sky, who's ever curious

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 3, 3:57*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Subject line says it all *It's definitely not a good idea to grocery
> shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception.
>
> Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> to prep and cook lamb chops? *I'm used to the traditional (?)
> rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and
> served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy
> and fast preparations for medium-rare results.
>
> Sky, who's ever curious
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Are they loin chops or rib chops? Here's a very different way of
doing the rib chops.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/2...-lam-rib-chops
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 6:57*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Subject line says it all *It's definitely not a good idea to grocery
> shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception.
>
> Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> to prep and cook lamb chops? *I'm used to the traditional (?)
> rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and
> served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy
> and fast preparations for medium-rare results.

I haven't bought lamb chops in decades. Heck, I think Maine LOBster
has to cost less per mouthful. Not crazy about lamb's flavor and
never DID get the mint jelly bit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 4:40*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 6:57*pm, Sky > wrote:
>
> > Subject line says it all *It's definitely not a good idea to grocery
> > shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception..

> > Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> > chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> > to prep and cook lamb chops? *I'm used to the traditional (?)
> > rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and
> > served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy
> > and fast preparations for medium-rare results.

> I haven't bought lamb chops in decades. *Heck, I think Maine LOBster
> has to cost less per mouthful. *Not crazy about lamb's flavor and
> never DID get the mint jelly bit.

Well...that was a boat load of useless info!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 6:57*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Subject line says it all *It's definitely not a good idea to grocery
> shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception.
>
> Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> to prep and cook lamb chops? *I'm used to the traditional (?)
> rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and
> served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy
> and fast preparations for medium-rare results.
>
> Sky, who's ever curious
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

oh Hell. I used to take lamb chops, dip them in a marinade of white
wine, rosemary, spices and olive oil. Then onto a really hot grill so
that they were charred on the outside, and wonderfully rare on the
inside. We don't need no mint jelly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 17:37:34 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:
>
> oh Hell. I used to take lamb chops, dip them in a marinade of white
> wine, rosemary, spices and olive oil. Then onto a really hot grill so
> that they were charred on the outside, and wonderfully rare on the
> inside. We don't need no mint jelly.

Mint jelly covers up the taste of Australian "lamb". I don't think
they'd have the nerve to try to tell the Australians it's lamb, but
they're passing it off on unsuspecting Americans. Thank god it's not
the only choice shoppers in an ordinary grocery stores are given
anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> Are they loin chops or rib chops? Here's a very different way of
> doing the rib chops.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/2...-lam-rib-chops

I sometimes do that, they're called "alla scottadito" ("a-la burnt finger").
Googling for just "scottadito" gives a lot of interesting results. BTW lamb
is "agnello" but one can also find "abbacchio" which is a typical roman
term.
Some cooks, after the chops are cooked, wrap the protruding part of the bone
with foilto help the guests holding the very hot chops.
http://tinyurl.com/aadedxn
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2013 3:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:57:29 -0600, Sky wrote:
>
>> Subject line says it all

> I would do the same thing I suggested yesterday when you asked this
> same question! :-)
>
> -sw

LOL But that time it was posed as a hypothetical "just curious"
question. Guess she didn't read the replies. There were lots of them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> to prep and cook lamb chops?

I hope they're fairly thick, at least 1". My go-to is to brown them in a hot
skillet (no extra fat needed, just start them on the fatty long side). Then
finish in the oven. Deglaze with shallots and stock.

If you have more time, start by marinating semi-dry in chopped garlic, herbs,
S&P, and olive oil. Prick the chops all over with a fork and rub in the
marinade. Scrape off the rub. Then proceed as above, except add the rub back
to the pan right before the stock.

A splash of white wine or apple juice doesn't hurt to finish the pan gravy.

If you accidentally bought thin chops, I guess just broil them and hope they
don't turn into leather.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:

> > I haven't bought lamb chops in decades. *Heck, I think Maine LOBster
> > has to cost less per mouthful. *Not crazy about lamb's flavor and
> > never DID get the mint jelly bit.

> Well...that was a boat load of useless info!

I warned you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/4/2013 2:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:57:29 -0600, Sky wrote:
>
>> Subject line says it all

> I would do the same thing I suggested yesterday when you asked this
> same question! :-)

VBG! Seems I'm getting a bit more ditzy in my dotage ;>

Sky, who's enjoyed reading the responses. Thanks, folks!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 06:07:31 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 1/4/2013 3:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:57:29 -0600, Sky wrote:
> >
> >> Subject line says it all

> > I would do the same thing I suggested yesterday when you asked this
> > same question! :-)
> >
> > -sw
> >

> LOL But that time it was posed as a hypothetical "just curious"
> question. Guess she didn't read the replies. There were lots of them.

Maybe her server lost the other thread. I know my news serves dropped
a lot of posts a few weeks ago that never showed up, ever, including
some of my own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 7:40*pm, Chemo > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 4:40*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 3, 6:57*pm, Sky > wrote:

> > > Subject line says it all *It's definitely not a good idea to grocery
> > > shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception.

> > > Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> > > chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> > > to prep and cook lamb chops? *I'm used to the traditional (?)
> > > rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and
> > > served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy
> > > and fast preparations for medium-rare results.

> > I haven't bought lamb chops in decades. *Heck, I think Maine LOBster
> > has to cost less per mouthful. *Not crazy about lamb's flavor and
> > never DID get the mint jelly bit.

> Well...that was a boat load of useless info!

Just trying to keep up with J. B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/4/2013 10:33 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Sky wrote:
>
>> Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
>> chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
>> to prep and cook lamb chops?

> I hope they're fairly thick, at least 1". My go-to is to brown them in a hot
> skillet (no extra fat needed, just start them on the fatty long side). Then
> finish in the oven. Deglaze with shallots and stock.
>
> If you have more time, start by marinating semi-dry in chopped garlic, herbs,
> S&P, and olive oil. Prick the chops all over with a fork and rub in the
> marinade. Scrape off the rub. Then proceed as above, except add the rub back
> to the pan right before the stock.
>
> A splash of white wine or apple juice doesn't hurt to finish the pan gravy.
>
> If you accidentally bought thin chops, I guess just broil them and hope they
> don't turn into leather.

Reads like a delicious technique Thanks for sharing your suggestion.
Yes, these lamb cops are thick, at least 1", so that's a good thing
There's some pinot grigio on hand for deglazing, too.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 3:27*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 1/4/2013 10:33 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>

> > Sky wrote:

> >> Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb
> >> chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like
> >> to prep and cook lamb chops?

> > I hope they're fairly thick, at least 1". My go-to is to brown them in a hot
> > skillet (no extra fat needed, just start them on the fatty long side). Then
> > finish in the oven. Deglaze with shallots and stock.

> > If you have more time, start by marinating semi-dry in chopped garlic, herbs,
> > S&P, and olive oil. Prick the chops all over with a fork and rub in the
> > marinade. Scrape off the rub. Then proceed as above, except add the rub back
> > to the pan right before the stock.

> > A splash of white wine or apple juice doesn't hurt to finish the pan gravy.

> > If you accidentally bought thin chops, I guess just broil them and hope they
> > don't turn into leather.

> Reads like a delicious technique *Thanks for sharing your suggestion..
> * Yes, these lamb cops are thick, at least 1", so that's a good thing
> * There's some pinot grigio on hand for deglazing, too.
>
> Sky
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

lamb cops? Better drive sober.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/4/2013 5:28 PM, Chemo wrote:
> On Jan 4, 3:27 pm, Sky > wrote:
>> On 1/4/2013 10:33 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>>
>>> I hope they're fairly thick, at least 1". My go-to is to brown them in a hot
>>> skillet (no extra fat needed, just start them on the fatty long side). Then
>>> finish in the oven. Deglaze with shallots and stock.

>>> If you have more time, start by marinating semi-dry in chopped garlic, herbs,
>>> S&P, and olive oil. Prick the chops all over with a fork and rub in the
>>> marinade. Scrape off the rub. Then proceed as above, except add the rub back
>>> to the pan right before the stock.

>>> A splash of white wine or apple juice doesn't hurt to finish the pan gravy.

>>> If you accidentally bought thin chops, I guess just broil them and hope they
>>> don't turn into leather.

>> Reads like a delicious technique Thanks for sharing your suggestion.
>> Yes, these lamb cops are thick, at least 1", so that's a good thing
>> There's some pinot grigio on hand for deglazing, too.

> lamb cops? Better drive sober.

Sigh! Although, that typo does bring to mind a comic image

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2013 6:35 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 1/4/2013 5:28 PM, Chemo wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 3:27 pm, Sky > wrote:
>>> Reads like a delicious technique Thanks for sharing your suggestion.
>>> Yes, these lamb cops are thick, at least 1", so that's a good
>>> thing
>>> There's some pinot grigio on hand for deglazing, too.

>> lamb cops? Better drive sober.

> Sigh! Although, that typo does bring to mind a comic image
>
> Sky

I could picture a Gary Larson (creator of 'The Far Side') cartoon
featuring "lamb cops" I remember a cartoon he did about a "boneless
chicken ranch":

http://s674.beta.photobucket.com/use...Ranch.jpg.html

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:40:08 PM UTC-6, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 3, 6:57*pm, Sky > wrote:
>
> > Subject line says it all *It's definitely not a good idea to grocery

> > shop when hungry - BTDT too many times! VBG, and today was no exception..

> > Anywho, I was unable to resist the urge to purchase some very nice lamb

> > chops and subsequently wondered how other folks, here in RFC-land, like

> > to prep and cook lamb chops? *I'm used to the traditional (?)

> > rosemary-seasoning-and-seared-in-the-saute-pan and

> > served-with-mint-jelly/sauce approach and was curious about other easy

> > and fast preparations for medium-rare results.

> I haven't bought lamb chops in decades. Heck, I think Maine LOBster
>
> has to cost less per mouthful. Not crazy about lamb's flavor and
>
> never DID get the mint jelly bit.

My wife is in the other room assembling kebobs with Italian sweet peppers, oyster mushrooms and onions. I marinated the lamb in olive oil, lemon juice, Greek oregano, pressed garlic and black pepper. My wife made herself a tzaziki sauce with Greek yogurt, grated and squeezed cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice and a little salt. The lamb already has garlic, and she likes garlic only in small doses. Were going to put them under the broiler, and toss some black olives onto the baking sheet when they're more than half done. She has two kebobs, and I just scattered to rest of the fixings and we applied a little more olive oil. Now, into the oven. My wife had wanted tomatoes in the mix, and she thought we had some, but we didn't.

I'll post links to pix. Notice there's not a pita in sight. No empty carbs.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:37:47 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>My wife is in the other room assembling kebobs with Italian sweet peppers, oyster mushrooms and onions.

You realize all those things require different optimal cooking times?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 4, 2013 7:48:31 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:37:47 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> >My wife is in the other room assembling kebobs with Italian sweet peppers, oyster mushrooms and onions.

> You realize all those things require different optimal cooking times?

Yes, I do, but they are within tolerances. It's quite normal to put them all on kebobs. I did add the olives later than the other things. It's looking quite nice right now. I will post a link to pix. I did bring the lamb to room temperature first.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:

>>>My wife is in the other room assembling kebobs with Italian sweet
>>>peppers, oyster mushrooms and onions.

>It's quite normal to put
>them all on kebobs.

Oyster mushrooms are common on kebabs? Where?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:01:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>Yes, I do, but they are within tolerances. It's quite normal to put them all on kebobs. I did add the olives later than the other things. It's looking quite nice right now. I will post a link to pix. I did bring the lamb to room temperature first.

It looks pretty in ads, is why they popularize putting disparate
cooking time items on a skewer together. Better to prepare each item
on homogenous skewers, especially mushruooms or shrimp, or other very
short cooking time items. Then you can cook each item to it's optimal
doneness.

Putting everying on one skewer is pedestrian and unhealthful! Not to
mention down there with the most banal pedestrian "cooks". Betty
Crocker would be proud!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/01/2013 12:54 AM, Steve Pope wrote:

>> It's quite normal to put
>> them all on kebobs.

> Oyster mushrooms are common on kebabs? Where?

I don't know about oyster mushrooms on traditional kebabs, but I often
add button mushrooms to skewers with peppers, onion and various meats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> >> It's quite normal to put
> >> them all on kebobs.

> > Oyster mushrooms are common on kebabs? Where?
> >

> I don't know about oyster mushrooms on traditional kebabs, but I often
> add button mushrooms to skewers with peppers, onion and various meats.

Imo, any kind of mushroom should be sauteed in butter before being put on a
skewer. A plain mushroom grilled is crappy. A plain mushroom in a salad is
equally bad, imo. No thanks.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 6:32:39 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:01:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> >Yes, I do, but they are within tolerances. It's quite normal to put them all on kebobs. I did add the olives later than the other things. It's looking quite nice right now. I will post a link to pix. I did bring the lamb to room temperature first.

> It looks pretty in ads, is why they popularize putting disparate
>
> cooking time items on a skewer together. Better to prepare each item
>
> on homogenous skewers, especially mushruooms or shrimp, or other very
>
> short cooking time items. Then you can cook each item to it's optimal
>
> doneness.

I think everything turned out nicely.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7632438858807/

> Putting everying on one skewer is pedestrian and unhealthful! Not to
>
> mention down there with the most banal pedestrian "cooks". Betty
>
> Crocker would be proud!

She'd be prouder of you, who shills for a company that makes adulterated chocolate.

Here are some photos:
http://c.eblastengine.com/EmailImages/50410.jpg
Shrimp done separately, but other ingredients together.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting...jpg?1341644176

http://soffiawardy.com/blog/wp-conte...1/IMG_3288.jpg

http://assets.inarkansas.com/1158/sh...iterranean.jpg

http://www.bijanrestaurant.net/wp-co...an/kebab_d.jpg

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Lamb Leg Chops Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 9 08-01-2017 08:41 AM
Lamb Chops which is best? Phred General Cooking 31 13-04-2009 09:17 PM
Lamb Chops which is best? koko General Cooking 28 12-04-2009 06:35 PM
Lamb Chops Dimitri General Cooking 18 10-03-2007 07:16 PM
Lamb Chops jay General Cooking 11 24-08-2006 01:48 PM