Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carbon steel skillet

I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!

I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
virtues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
few weeks to acquire.

If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
and not an affectation!).

I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Dec 2016 17:26:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>
>I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>virtues:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>
>While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>few weeks to acquire.
>
>If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>and not an affectation!).
>
>I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>
>nb

They are very nice, bought one years ago in Selfridges after I saw
Delia recommend one to be used solely for omelets. Yes, took quite a
bit of effort to get it 'finished' - I use it for everything now but
the omelets turn out just as good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 10:26 AM, notbob wrote:
> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>
> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
> virtues:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>
> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
> few weeks to acquire.
>
> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
> and not an affectation!).
>
> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>
> nb

My mother used to season hers by boiling potato peelings in it and then
just wiping it out, obviously leaving some residue behind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 11:04 AM, graham wrote:
> On 12/27/2016 10:26 AM, notbob wrote:
>> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>>
>> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>> virtues:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>>
>> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>> few weeks to acquire.
>>
>> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>> and not an affectation!).
>>
>> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>>
>> nb
>>

> My mother used to season hers by boiling potato peelings in it and then
> just wiping it out, obviously leaving some residue behind.

boiling?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 12:10 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 12/27/2016 11:04 AM, graham wrote:
>> On 12/27/2016 10:26 AM, notbob wrote:
>>> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>>>
>>> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>>> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>>> virtues:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>>>
>>> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>>> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>>> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>>> few weeks to acquire.
>>>
>>> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>>> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>>> and not an affectation!).
>>>
>>> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> My mother used to season hers by boiling potato peelings in it and then
>> just wiping it out, obviously leaving some residue behind.

> boiling?

To season the cast iron pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 11:20 AM, graham wrote:
> On 12/27/2016 12:10 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> My mother used to season hers by boiling potato peelings in it and then
>>> just wiping it out, obviously leaving some residue behind.

>> boiling?

> To season the cast iron pan.

with water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Dec 2016 17:26:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>
>I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>virtues:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>
>While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>few weeks to acquire.
>
>If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>and not an affectation!).
>
>I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>
>nb

Much better than cast iron, especially in the larger sizes where
cooking with cast iron is like a workout at Gold's Gym.
I have the 12" pan, excellent for all uses especially
burgers/steaks... eggs don't stick and I often use it for my dozen egg
potato omelets:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/lodg...steel-skillets
I've been thinking about getting this monster for a long time but I
don't have a houseful of company anymo
https://www.lehmans.com/product/seas...eel-skillet-16
I don't think carbon steel pans would work well with other than gas
stoves, I've used electric stoves and found they create hot spots with
frypan cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Dec 2016 17:26:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>
>I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>virtues:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

That apple dessert thingy looked great.

>While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>few weeks to acquire.

I was sceptical of her claim that the pan was ready after one brief
seasoning session, so not surprised at your result.

>If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>and not an affectation!).

I'm sold enough on carbon steel pans and would buy one myself to try,
only I already have a set of SS pans (which are not very non-stick).
And a couple of cast iron pans (which are non-stick).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:39:04 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>I don't think carbon steel pans would work well with other than gas
>stoves, I've used electric stoves and found they create hot spots with
>frypan cooking.

At least cast iron distributes the heat better, but I'd still like a
carbon steel pan regardless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 07:56:10 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:39:04 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>I don't think carbon steel pans would work well with other than gas
>>stoves, I've used electric stoves and found they create hot spots with
>>frypan cooking.

>At least cast iron distributes the heat better, but I'd still like a
>carbon steel pan regardless.

Mine works fine on my ceramic top electric.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 27 Dec 2016 17:26:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
> >
> > I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the
> > best thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling
> > their virtues:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
> >
> > While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food
> > slips/slides around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like
> > a "puck in air hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish
> > takes more than a few weeks to acquire.
> >
> > If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
> > straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not
> > impossible and not an affectation!).
> >
> > I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
> >
> > nb

> Much better than cast iron, especially in the larger sizes where
> cooking with cast iron is like a workout at Gold's Gym.
> I have the 12" pan, excellent for all uses especially
> burgers/steaks... eggs don't stick and I often use it for my dozen egg
> potato omelets:
> https://www.lehmans.com/product/lodg...steel-skillets
> I've been thinking about getting this monster for a long time but I
> don't have a houseful of company anymo
> https://www.lehmans.com/product/seas...eel-skillet-16
> I don't think carbon steel pans would work well with other than gas
> stoves, I've used electric stoves and found they create hot spots with
> frypan cooking.

True, although there are detractions to gas over electric, the gas
ranges work very well with cast iron and carbon steel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 9:26:04 AM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>
> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
> virtues:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>
> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
> few weeks to acquire.
>
> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
> and not an affectation!).
>
> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>
> nb

here's a good review of carbon steel skillets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-27, ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 9:26:04 AM UTC-8, notbob wrote:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

> here's a good review of carbon steel skillets.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

They're basically the same video. I even found the text version,
which is different, still.

Lately, I've been watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

......I bought some flax seed (edible linseed) oil, today. We'll see.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 7:26:04 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>
> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
> virtues:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>
> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
> few weeks to acquire.
>
> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
> and not an affectation!).
>
> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>
> nb

My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:44:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 7:26:04 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
>> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>>
>> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>> virtues:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
>>
>> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>> few weeks to acquire.
>>
>> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>> and not an affectation!).
>>
>> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>>
>> nb

>My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:55:08 -0400, wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:44:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 7:26:04 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
>>> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
>>>
>>> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
>>> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
>>> virtues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

>>> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
>>> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
>>> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
>>> few weeks to acquire.
>>>
>>> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>>> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>>> and not an affectation!).
>>>
>>> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>>>
>>> nb

>>My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

>That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
>'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
>from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
>500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV

For stir frying in a home kitchen this will out perfom any wok, plenty
of heat because it spans two burners... and has many other uses:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 6:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:55:08 -0400, wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:44:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

>>> My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

>> That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
>> 'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
>>from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
>> 500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV

> For stir frying in a home kitchen this will out perfom any wok, plenty
> of heat because it spans two burners... and has many other uses:
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent MOROON wrote:

>On 12/27/2016 6:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:55:08 -0400, wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

>>> That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
>>> 'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
>>>from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
>>> 500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV

>> For stir frying in a home kitchen this will out perfom any wok, plenty
>> of heat because it spans two burners... and has many other uses:
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

>15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?

You're the one with the easy bake, actually no bake and no cook. Every
standard stove has a 9" center to center burner distance... a 15" pan
*fully* covers both burners. The Taxed & Spent putz has obviously
NEVER driven a stove, not ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 8:44 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Taxed and Spent MOROON wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

>>> For stir frying in a home kitchen this will out perfom any wok, plenty
>>> of heat because it spans two burners... and has many other uses:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

>> 15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?

> You're the one with the easy bake, actually no bake and no cook. Every
> standard stove has a 9" center to center burner distance... a 15" pan
> *fully* covers both burners. The Taxed & Spent putz has obviously
> NEVER driven a stove, not ever.

I guess I don't have a "standard stove".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 11:44:33 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Taxed and Spent MOROON wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

> >> For stir frying in a home kitchen this will out perfom any wok, plenty
> >> of heat because it spans two burners... and has many other uses:
> >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

> >15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?

> You're the one with the easy bake, actually no bake and no cook. Every
> standard stove has a 9" center to center burner distance... a 15" pan
> *fully* covers both burners. The Taxed & Spent putz has obviously
> NEVER driven a stove, not ever.

My burners are 9" center-to-center for each front-and-back pair.
Left and right, one pair is 13" and the other is 15.5".

The tricky part, though, is that no two burners have the same
output. Bosch didn't see fit to put the information in the
user manual, so I don't know how many BTUs each burner is
capable of. I do know that the two front/back pairs consist
of a smaller burner and a larger burner.

Happily, I only cook for two, so I don't need to equip myself
for a regiment.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 03:42:35 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 11:44:33 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Taxed and Spent MOROON wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo

>> >15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?

>> You're the one with the easy bake, actually no bake and no cook. Every
>> standard stove has a 9" center to center burner distance... a 15" pan
>> *fully* covers both burners. The Taxed & Spent putz has obviously
>> NEVER driven a stove, not ever.

>My burners are 9" center-to-center for each front-and-back pair.
>Left and right, one pair is 13" and the other is 15.5".
>
>The tricky part, though, is that no two burners have the same
>output. Bosch didn't see fit to put the information in the
>user manual, so I don't know how many BTUs each burner is
>capable of. I do know that the two front/back pairs consist
>of a smaller burner and a larger burner.
>
>Happily, I only cook for two, so I don't need to equip myself
>for a regiment.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Mine has one fast heat burner (quite useful) and it also has the
ability to bridge the front to back burner on the right, so should you
want to put a griddle on there for pancakes etc, it would be very
useful. Only used it once in ten years! However there is a small
burner-like circle in the middle which is for warming plates, that's
pretty much why I chose that particular stove, I use it a lot, beats
using hot water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:15:48 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> However there is a small
>> burner-like circle in the middle which is for warming plates, that's
>> pretty much why I chose that particular stove, I use it a lot, beats
>> using hot water.

>Hmmm.... I've never bothered to warm plates but just stacking them
>in a sink with hot water is a great idea. Not a sink full of hot
>water, just put one plate down under running hot water. As it fills
>just keep adding plates.

Yes that will do it too but just for me it is particularly nice to
just stick the plate there and hey presto - warm plate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-27, notbob > wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4
>
> .....I bought some flax seed (edible linseed) oil, today. We'll see.

Well, that totally sucked. I did exactly as the Vollrath Uboob video
sed (10X!) and eggs stuck so badly --how badly?-- so abysmally, I hadda use
Oven-Off the get the stuck eggs off. I'm starting over and ....we'll
see. Any suggestions welcome. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-28, notbob > wrote:

> I'm starting over and ....we'll see.

Completely. Screw a buncha steel skillets, screw flax seed oil, screw
potato peelings, and all that "non-stick" nonsense!

I'm jes using it like a regular skillet. Big glob o' bacon grease and
screw all them Uboob loonies. If it seasons, fine, if not, screw it
.....I got waaaay more bacon grease than I know what to do with.

One tip!: if you know how to 'skillet' flip, get the rounded sides. I
have the straight sides and it's impossible to flip squat. I know I
said I could do it, but I was wrong. So, "screw it!". It was a
gift!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>Taxed and Spent Moroon yammered:

>> >15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?

>> You're the one with the easy bake, actually no bake and no cook. Every
>> standard stove has a 9" center to center burner distance... a 15" pan
>> *fully* covers both burners. The Taxed & Spent putz has obviously
>> NEVER driven a stove, not ever.

>My burners are 9" center-to-center for each front-and-back pair.
>Left and right, one pair is 13" and the other is 15.5".
>
>The tricky part, though, is that no two burners have the same
>output.

Matters not, that's why burners are adjustable.

>Bosch didn't see fit to put the information in the
>user manual, so I don't know how many BTUs each burner is
>capable of. I do know that the two front/back pairs consist
>of a smaller burner and a larger burner.

The BTU rating is on permanent label somewhere on the stove, and can
be found on the manufacturer's web site, or phone and ask.

Most stoves have two medium range burners on the left side, the right
side usually has a high output burner in front and a simmer burner in
the rear. The industry standard is nine inches between centers front
to rear. Side to side centers differ due to stove width... with 24"
stoves center to center will still be 9" side to side, but naturally a
greater distance with 30", 36', and 40" inch stoves. Having the high
output burner and simmer burner on the same side is very condusive to
stir frying with a large diameter pan as the front of the pan can be
maintained hotter and the rear maintained less hot. Some larger
stoves have more then four top burners, then one simply needs to take
that into account. However the vast majority have 30" stoves with
four top burners and with a 9" center to center distance front to
rear. Some people use griddles that span two burners.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> However there is a small
>> burner-like circle in the middle which is for warming plates, that's
>> pretty much why I chose that particular stove, I use it a lot, beats
>> using hot water.

>Hmmm.... I've never bothered to warm plates but just stacking them
>in a sink with hot water is a great idea. Not a sink full of hot
>water, just put one plate down under running hot water. As it fills
>just keep adding plates.

Easier to fill your one plate with a couple ounces of water and nuke
it. Some people wrap a stack of dishes in a wrung out wet towel and
nuke it. Personally I don't like heated plates, room temperature is
fine, however I like my drink gass well chilled in the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2016 5:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
>> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
>> and not an affectation!).
>>
>> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
>>
>> nb

> My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years.
> OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

My T-FAL non stick wok rocks.

And it cleans up a lot easier than carbon steel.

I know.

I've used both.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 2:55:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:44:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 7:26:04 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> >> I got one fer Christmas! Yay!!
> >>
> >> I got an 11" de Buyer carbon steel skillet. ATK sez they are the best
> >> thing since sliced bread and even have a U2B video extolling their
> >> virtues:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWNl-uJD0Uo
> >>
> >> While I've successfully seasoned my pan and a lotta food slips/slides
> >> around successfully, eggs still stick and are NOT like a "puck in air
> >> hockey". I suspect that 'browned' seasoned finish takes more than a
> >> few weeks to acquire.
> >>
> >> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
> >> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
> >> and not an affectation!).
> >>
> >> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
> >>
> >> nb

> >My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

> That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
> 'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
> from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
> 500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV

I speak of the new pan, not the material. I don't know what the old woks were made of. They could have been made of clay for all I know. The new pans are not really new, they are merely presented as new and that's a good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 12:06:33 PM UTC-10, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 12/27/2016 5:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> >> If you can flip foods ina skillet, look for curved sides. Mine has
> >> straight sides and is a little more difficult to flip (not impossible
> >> and not an affectation!).
> >>
> >> I keep y'all posted. BTW, I'm having steak fer dinner.
> >>
> >> nb

> > My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years.
> > OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.
> >

> My T-FAL non stick wok rocks.
>
> And it cleans up a lot easier than carbon steel.
>
> I know.
>
> I've used both.

I non-stick wok would be pretty slick - literally.

Unfortunately, that won't work with an induction range. Too bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2016 3:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years.
>>> OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.
>>>

>> My T-FAL non stick wok rocks.
>>
>> And it cleans up a lot easier than carbon steel.
>>
>> I know.
>>
>> I've used both.

> I non-stick wok would be pretty slick - literally.

Dude, 'tis!

> Unfortunately, that won't work with an induction range. Too bad.

I think you may be right.

But this will:

https://www.amazon.com/TECHEF-Collec...=induction+wok

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-10, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 12/28/2016 3:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> My T-FAL non stick wok rocks.
> >>
> >> And it cleans up a lot easier than carbon steel.
> >>
> >> I know.
> >>
> >> I've used both.

> > I non-stick wok would be pretty slick - literally.

> Dude, 'tis!
>
> > Unfortunately, that won't work with an induction range. Too bad.

> I think you may be right.
>
> But this will:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/TECHEF-Collec...=induction+wok

That there is one beautiful pan! I should go for it. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:52:47 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 2:55:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:44:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

>> That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
>> 'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
>> from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
>> 500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV

>I speak of the new pan, not the material. I don't know what the old woks were made of.

Originally woks were made of hammered iron. Steel is relatively
new... spun steel woks began to be made perhaps 100 years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelmaking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 2:55:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:44:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >My favorite pan is a carbon steel pan - a wok. The new CS pans are mostly a fad. The wok has been around for over 500 years. OTOH, they are an improvement over cast iron pans. They probably aren't a durable though. They will, however, outlast you.

>> That makes no sense whatever! 'New' carbon steel is no different to
>> 'old' carbon steel, a carbon steel wok is merely one style of pan made
>> from carbon steel. I don't think carbon steel woks have been around
>> 500 years, or anything close to it. YMMV

>I speak of the new pan, not the material. I don't know what the old woks were made of. They could have been made of clay for all I know. The new pans are not really new, they are merely presented as new and that's a good thing.

I've had my wok at least 25 years, it's carbon steel, as I think all
woks bought in Chinese shops here were back in the day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:34:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-10, Sqwertz wrote:

>> > I non-stick wok would be pretty slick - literally.

>> Dude, 'tis!
>>
>> > Unfortunately, that won't work with an induction range. Too bad.

>> I think you may be right.
>>
>> But this will:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/TECHEF-Collec...=induction+wok

>That there is one beautiful pan! I should go for it. Thanks!

That coated pan won't hold up to the high heat required for proper
stir frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 21:54:10 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 23:44:29 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Taxed and Spent MOROON wrote:

>>>15" diameter spans two burners? On your easy-bake?

>> You're the one with the easy bake, actually no bake and no cook. Every
>> standard stove has a 9" center to center burner distance... a 15" pan
>> *fully* covers both burners. The Taxed & Spent putz has obviously
>> NEVER driven a stove, not ever.

>Mine are closer to 10" front to back and 15" side to side. If I were
>to place a flat bottomed 15" pan on the front and back burners the
>flames would lick up the sides of the pan.

Your stove's shuttles (air gas mixture) aren't properly adjusted...
when properly adjusted, each flame of the burner should be a narrow
pinpoint cone emitting intense heat... when flames are wide and
licking sloppily they are wasting fuel and operating at less than
optimal BTUs. Flames should be blue, no yellow. You probably have
some ancient gas range from the year of the flood, pre 1940... back
then there were no dimensional standards. I worked as a toolmaker for
O'Keefe & Merrit in California, in the east it would be Tappen. They
had a museum of old stoves with strange dimensions, some probably like
yours. I worked there in the '60s, stoves still weren't standardized
and they still used pilot lights. But stoves were gorgeous works of
art, heavily chromed like an old Buick. Stoves weighed twice as much
as todays', they didn't have today's modern technology then, ovens
couldn't be relied on to maintain a set temperature. When I was a kid
my mother had an old Tappen, it had legs and no way to set the oven
temperature but it did have a thermometer on the door (I think for
show), the oven was tiny too. There was a dial to adjust the oven
burner but there was no thermostat, had to rely on that thermometer in
the door. That stove had a very nice porcelain finish, light green
with black curliques at all the corners. I think that stove was from
1910, the house was built in 1911.

>Which would make for very
>inefficient and lopsided cooking. And there's no way you'd use a wok
>in that configuration as it defeats the efficiency design of the wok.
>
>I would never use anything except a griddle designed for two burners
>over two burners. but my stove already has an elongated griddle,
>so....
>
>Nobody in their right mind uses a 15" pan over two standard burners.
>They're designed so that the pan sits on the CENTER of the heat source
>and certainly wouldn't work on an induction stovetop , either.
>
>-sw

Using an elongated griddle over two burners is no different from using
a large pan over two burners. You weren't following along, I was
refering to using a large pan for stir frying, not a wok... I even
supplied links to the particular pans.