Posted to rec.food.cooking
David

Default Req: Source for carbon steel knives

Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I have
one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google but
all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same thing.
I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have to
deal with customs.
Thanks, David

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

David wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I have
> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google but
> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same thing.
> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have to
> deal with customs.

Leevalley.com

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Default Source for carbon steel knives

"David" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I have
> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google
> but
> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same
> thing.
> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have to
> deal with customs.
> Thanks, David

David, is high carbon steel made with stainless, or just a different process
from carbon steel. If you know.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
David

Dee Dee: As I understand it, high carbon steel is stainless steel with
extra carbon. It is probably very good, however I have carbon steel knives
that I really like. They will blacken and rust if left wet, but they seem
to get sharper than stainless and stay sharper longer. David
"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "David" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I

have
> > one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google
> > but
> > all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same
> > thing.
> > I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have

> > deal with customs.
> > Thanks, David
> >

> David, is high carbon steel made with stainless, or just a different

process
> from carbon steel. If you know.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

David wrote:

> Dee Dee: As I understand it, high carbon steel is stainless steel with
> extra carbon. It is probably very good, however I have carbon steel knives
> that I really like. They will blacken and rust if left wet, but they seem
> to get sharper than stainless and stay sharper longer. David

Sorry, but high carbon steel is not stainless steel. It is a very strong but
brittle and it can be sharpened to a very keen edge. Stainless steel has
chromium and nickel added to it to make it resistant to corrosion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7

"David" > wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I have
> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google
> but
> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same
> thing.
> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have to
> deal with customs.

I think the word to avoid is "stainless". I do a google search with "carbon
steel knives" (with the quotes for an exact phrase search), and I get plenty
of links, a lot of them with Sabatier mentioned.

Here are two stores I've dealt with over the years. La Cuisine seems to have
lower prices at first glance.

www.lacuisineus.com - look under slicing/dicing, French knives, Chef's
knife/French, carbon steel
www.pcd.com - look under cutlery, brands, Sabatier

Both sell Sabatier, but I don't think they are the same "Sabatier" company -
multiple companies use that name.

Unfortunately, both are located in the USA.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7

"Dave Smith" > wrote:
> Sorry, but high carbon steel is not stainless steel. It is a very strong
> but
> brittle and it can be sharpened to a very keen edge. Stainless steel has
> chromium and nickel added to it to make it resistant to corrosion.

In the kitchen knife industry, there is a widely used phrase called "high
carbon stainless". I think this is what the original poster was referring
to. He wanted the old fashioned rustable "carbon steel", not the "high
carbon stainless". I don't know if the terminology the kitchen knife
manufacturers use is technically "wrong", but it is widely used and
generally understood.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane

"David" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I

have
> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried

Google but
> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same

thing.
> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't

have to
> deal with customs.
> Thanks, David

The only (yes, only) outlet in the US for the old-style carbon steel
Sabatier knives is outside of Beaufort, South Carolina; they also
carry the newer stainless knives in the older French style and
are open almost all the time. Give them a call:
Sabatier Cutlery Outlet
I-95, Exit 33, 726-6444. Factory outlet featuring quality cutlery.

Visit us or call now for a free catalog: 1-800-525-6399.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

David wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I have
> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google but
> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same thing.
> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have to
> deal with customs.

I'm tempted, only I have enough knives for any ten kitchens.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,40738

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
David

Thanks everyone for the information. I appreciate it. David
"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> David wrote:
> > Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I

have
> > one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google

but
> > all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same

thing.
> > I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have

> > deal with customs.

> I'm tempted, only I have enough knives for any ten kitchens.
>
> http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,40738
>

> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark D

From what I understand, and think, the phrase High Carbon Steel can mean
that it is actually a Carbon Steel Knife, with Stainless Steel added as
a rust preventitive.

This doesn't necessarily make for a bad knive at all, and if properly
made/tempered, it can be a knife that will take a very sharp razor edge,
and hold that edge for a very long time.

I have three very well made Western Cutlery Westmark Hunting knives that
are like this, and are both heat treated, and cryrogenically treated.

There is a rec.knives group on usenet, and perhaps you may find
suggestions/recommendations from the gurus in that group also. There
seems to be many who have vast knife knowledge there.
Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent

Sheldon, do you use the Peasant Chef's Knife from Lee Valley?
If it is a good knife, it is a real find!
Thanks,

Kent

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> David wrote:
>> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I
>> have
>> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google
>> but
>> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same
>> thing.
>> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have
>> deal with customs.

> Leevalley.com
>

> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "David" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I
>> have
>> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google
>> but
>> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same
>> thing.
>> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have
>> deal with customs.
>> Thanks, David
>>

> David, is high carbon steel made with stainless, or just a different
> process from carbon steel. If you know.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Carbon steel is the "old" kind of knife. The metal is slightly softer than
the stainless used in modern high quality knives so it is quicker to take an
edge, and the edge is slightly better - although the difference is pretty
subtle. However they are not stainless and will rust and blacken with use.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Mark D wrote:
> From what I understand, and think, the phrase High Carbon Steel can mean
> that it is actually a Carbon Steel Knife, with Stainless Steel added as
> a rust preventitive.

Your thinking couldn't be more backwards. "High Carbon" can be
descriptive of any steel (carbon is what makes iron steel), even
non-stainless steels can be 'high carbon', in fact they can contain
more carbon than stainless steels and typically do... most tool steels
contain significant carbon... which is why they can be made to have a
superior cutting edge. Stainless steel is already an alloy of steel
(may be high carbon, may not), stainless steels are not added to
(alloyed with) other steels. In actuality the term "High Carbon
Stainless Steel" is a marketing ploy used by the knife manufacturers...
there is no such actual alloy named "High Carbon Stainless Steel"..
"high carbon' is merely a relative term... higher carbon than what. In
fact the term high carbon stainless steel means in effect "almost
stainless steel". Carbon in no way makes steel immune to staining,
pitting, oxidation.... the "high carbon" tag signifies the _lowest_
grade of stainless steel. Conversely, the higher the grade of
stainless steel (the more impervious the alloy) the less propensity
for fabrication as a cutting edge. Bottom line, all steel is carbon
steel. Stainless steel cutlery came into popular use when it was
realized that the typical home cook was incapable (or unwilling) of
properly caring for fine carbon steel cutlery, and in the commercial
arena improper care of carbon steel cutting tools escalated the spread
of food borne pathogens, which is why the USDA does not permit even
butchers the use of carbon steel knives. Today's delis have a problem
because they must use stainless steel blades in their meat slicers,
they don't cut nearly as well nor can they be sharpened in house, like
the chrome plated carbon steel blades from years ago. Most home
slicers had to resort to using serrated blades because carbon steel is
prohibited and home slicers have toy r us motors and small diameter
blades.... serrated slicer blades suck big time, don't ever buy such a
machine... they rip rather than slice, and because they require
excessive force they are dangerous.

For veggies stainless is fine (especially since the fercoktah term
"chopping" came into vogue), real cooks *slice* veggies. But for meats
(raw and cooked), for me only a carbon steel blade will pass muster...
I don't care if that super-duper iceberg cured, lava flow tempered,
diamond lapped, mirror finish stainless blade cost a thousand bux, for
slicing meats it can't come close to any carbon steel knife. Idiots
who buy thousand dollar hunting knives with stainless blades are buying
handles, not blades... for dressing game stainless may as well be balsa
wood.

M-W

steel

1 : commercial iron that contains carbon in any amount up to about 1.7
percent as an essential alloying constituent, is malleable when under
suitable conditions, and is distinguished from cast iron by its
malleability and lower carbon content
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jim

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eC...main_front.jsp

David,

I have a number of Old Hickory knives. Follow link above. The prices
are unbelievable. Even with the Canadian Buck I think you should give
them a try.

Gl

Jim

David wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get some carbon steel kitchen knives? I have
> one by Sabatier and I would like to get some more. I have tried Google but
> all I seem to get is "high carbon steel knives" which is not the same thing.
> I am in Canada so I would prefer a Canadian source so that I don't have to
> deal with customs.
> Thanks, David

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Kent wrote:
> Sheldon, do you use the Peasant Chef's Knife from Lee Valley?
> If it is a good knife, it is a real find!

No, I don't have one but as I said in a later post if not for the fact
I already have too many knives I'd probably order one, mostly because
it is very good price and Lee Valley is an excellent company to do
business with, if you don't like something just return it. Also the OP
wanted a Canadian company, Lee Valley is that too. I have quite a few
knives I purchased from Lee Valley, about 5-6 years ago they were
marketing a trainload of old warehoused hand forged cutlery at
excellent prices, I must have a half dozen pieces, a 12" carbon steel
chefs knife is one of my favorites. If I remember correctly the
original verson of the peasants knife I just posted was sold back then,
but with the plain wood handle. Carbon steel knives are not for
pretty, they're for sharp... once you use one you won't ever want to
use stainless again. Why do yoose think they don't make woodworking
cutting tools from stainless...

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.A.Martinich

Pixmaker wrote:
> I like the way the Japanese knife manufacturers attack the problem.
> They sandwich a piece of "high-carbon" steel inside a wrapping of
> corrosion-resistant steel ("stainless") to obtain the sharpness
> advantage of the very hard (but brittle) inner material with the
> corrosion resisting properties of the "stainless" sheath.

Pix-
I liked your post but I do have one small nit to pick. The advantage of
carbon over stainless is that it is easier to obtain razor sharpness
and to maintain it during use with a proper steel. Stainless can be
honed to great sharpness ( many scalpel blades are stainless) and will
maintain it longer without attention. But with carbon, you can restore
sharpness (during regular use) with less work. That's the tradeoff. The
level of polish obtained on Japanese blades using their traditional
honing techniques (like 10,000 grit stones) will achieve a level of
sharpness far exceeding that needed for most kitchen use. Now, for
cutting sashimi- that may be another story.

D.M.