Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peaches!

'Tis the season. For Peaches!

There's a (sort of) local show where the host of the Very Vera show
recently prepared several things using peaches.

A twist on Peach Cobbler using rye flour:

For the cobbler filling

6 peaches, sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

For the crumble

1/3 cup rye flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, in 1/4 inch dice
1/2 cup whipping cream

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400°.
In a medium bowl, toss together peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch,
cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a buttered 9 x 9 baking dish.
In another bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, salt, and
nutmeg. Toss in the butter and rub each cube between your fingers to
flatten.
Add cream and stir to loosely combine. Press cobbler crumble
together and spread over the top of peaches.
Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and juices are bubbling.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

French Toast with peaches:

Ingredients

1/3 cup whole milk
1 peach, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup whole milk
For serving: soft butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and crisp bacon
8 thin slices of English muffin bread

Instructions

In a wide shallow dish, whisk together the whole milk, cream eggs,
sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
Spread 4 slices of bread with 1 tablespoon of mascarpone each and
cover with slices of peach. Top with another slice and press down.
Dip each sandwich in milk mixture on both sides.
Add to hot buttered griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until
golden brown.
Serve with soft butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and crisp bacon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 13:38:19 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>'Tis the season. For Peaches!
>
>There's a (sort of) local show where the host of the Very Vera show
>recently prepared several things using peaches.
>
>A twist on Peach Cobbler using rye flour:
>
>For the cobbler filling
>
> 6 peaches, sliced
> 1/3 cup brown sugar
> 2 tablespoons cornstarch
> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
>
>For the crumble
>
> 1/3 cup rye flour
> 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
> 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
> 3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, in 1/4 inch dice
> 1/2 cup whipping cream
>
>Instructions
>
> Preheat oven to 400°.
> In a medium bowl, toss together peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch,
>cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a buttered 9 x 9 baking dish.
> In another bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, salt, and
>nutmeg. Toss in the butter and rub each cube between your fingers to
>flatten.
> Add cream and stir to loosely combine. Press cobbler crumble
>together and spread over the top of peaches.
> Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and juices are bubbling.
> Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
>
>French Toast with peaches:
>
>Ingredients
>
> 1/3 cup whole milk
> 1 peach, thinly sliced
> 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
> 2 large eggs
> 1/3 cup heavy cream
> 1/3 cup whole milk
> For serving: soft butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and crisp bacon
> 8 thin slices of English muffin bread
>
>Instructions
>
> In a wide shallow dish, whisk together the whole milk, cream eggs,
>sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
> Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
> Spread 4 slices of bread with 1 tablespoon of mascarpone each and
>cover with slices of peach. Top with another slice and press down.
> Dip each sandwich in milk mixture on both sides.
> Add to hot buttered griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until
>golden brown.
> Serve with soft butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and crisp bacon.

There's been peaches around here for close to a month, and I buy a
basket every time I'm at the grocery store. I've been slicing a lot of
them up and freezing them in Ziploc bags - I've got about a dozen now.

At this very moment, this is in the oven:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1...ch-skillet-pie

Unfortunately, I forgot the cinnamon in with the peaches, so I'll have
to sprinkle on extra cinnamon sugar when it comes out of the oven.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-21 2:54 PM, Doris Night wrote:

> Unfortunately, I forgot the cinnamon in with the peaches, so I'll have
> to sprinkle on extra cinnamon sugar when it comes out of the oven.

Our local peaches have reinforced my belief that there is a particular
amount of flavour in any fruit, regardless of the size, so small ones
are much tastier than the larger ones. We have been experiencing the
worst drought in 80 years. We had seen almost three months with no
rain, which is very unusual for this area. Strawberries weren't too
badly affected because they come out in June and there was still lots of
moisture in the soil. Cherries were less than half their normal size,
but they tasted great. The peaches that are being harvested now are
about the size of plums.

I normally use 4 or 5 peaches to make a pie. The one I made on Friday
used 8 peaches and the filling was a little skimpy, but it was extremely
tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill McQuown wrote:

> 'Tis the season. For Peaches!
>
> There's a (sort of) local show where the host of the Very Vera show
> recently prepared several things using peaches.

<SCHNIP>

The least you could do is that *you* make something from peaches, just re - posting someone else's recipes to start a thread is a very paltry "contribution"...

Here I was, hoping that you'd scored some local juicy peachy goodness from a farmers market, and I was looking forward to seeing something interesting. As it is your post is utter sheer uselessness - a reflection of yourself...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 2:18:07 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-08-21 2:54 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, I forgot the cinnamon in with the peaches, so I'll have
> > to sprinkle on extra cinnamon sugar when it comes out of the oven.

> Our local peaches have reinforced my belief that there is a particular
> amount of flavour in any fruit, regardless of the size, so small ones
> are much tastier than the larger ones. We have been experiencing the
> worst drought in 80 years. We had seen almost three months with no
> rain, which is very unusual for this area. Strawberries weren't too
> badly affected because they come out in June and there was still lots of
> moisture in the soil. Cherries were less than half their normal size,
> but they tasted great. The peaches that are being harvested now are
> about the size of plums.
>
> I normally use 4 or 5 peaches to make a pie. The one I made on Friday
> used 8 peaches and the filling was a little skimpy, but it was extremely
> tasty.

I always kinda found that larger fruits are usually more watered down of flavor than small concentrated ones. You think that a fruit is born with certain ammout of flavor and if it gets bigger it gets more spread out?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:40:25 PM UTC-6, The Greatest! wrote:
> Jill McQuown wrote:
>
> > 'Tis the season. For Peaches!
> >
> > There's a (sort of) local show where the host of the Very Vera show
> > recently prepared several things using peaches.

> <SCHNIP>
>

> The least you could do is that *you* make something from peaches, just re - posting someone else's recipes to start a thread is a very paltry "contribution"...
>
> Here I was, hoping that you'd scored some local juicy peachy goodness from a farmers market, and I was looking forward to seeing something interesting. As it is your post is utter sheer uselessness - a reflection of yourself...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Attacking Jill contributed so much didn't it?...a reflection of YOUR uselessness. Smarten up.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:30:55 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 2:18:07 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2016-08-21 2:54 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, I forgot the cinnamon in with the peaches, so I'll have
> > > to sprinkle on extra cinnamon sugar when it comes out of the oven.

> > Our local peaches have reinforced my belief that there is a particular
> > amount of flavour in any fruit, regardless of the size, so small ones
> > are much tastier than the larger ones. We have been experiencing the
> > worst drought in 80 years. We had seen almost three months with no
> > rain, which is very unusual for this area. Strawberries weren't too
> > badly affected because they come out in June and there was still lots of
> > moisture in the soil. Cherries were less than half their normal size,
> > but they tasted great. The peaches that are being harvested now are
> > about the size of plums.
> >
> > I normally use 4 or 5 peaches to make a pie. The one I made on Friday
> > used 8 peaches and the filling was a little skimpy, but it was extremely
> > tasty.

> I always kinda found that larger fruits are usually more watered down of flavor than small concentrated ones. You think that a fruit is born with certain ammout of flavor and if it gets bigger it gets more spread out?
>
> John Kuthe...

Absolutely without any foundation whatsoever John...nice try though.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:30:55 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> > > Our local peaches have reinforced my belief that there is a particular
> > > amount of flavour in any fruit, regardless of the size, so small ones
> > > are much tastier than the larger ones. We have been experiencing the
> > > worst drought in 80 years. We had seen almost three months with no
> > > rain, which is very unusual for this area. Strawberries weren't too
> > > badly affected because they come out in June and there was still lots of
> > > moisture in the soil. Cherries were less than half their normal size,
> > > but they tasted great. The peaches that are being harvested now are
> > > about the size of plums.
> > >
> > > I normally use 4 or 5 peaches to make a pie. The one I made on Friday
> > > used 8 peaches and the filling was a little skimpy, but it was extremely
> > > tasty.

> > I always kinda found that larger fruits are usually more watered down of flavor than small concentrated ones. You think that a fruit is born with certain ammout of flavor and if it gets bigger it gets more spread out?
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> Absolutely without any foundation whatsoever John...nice try though.
> ====

Better take Roy seriously, John. He was a grocery clerk!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2016 10:46 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:40:25 PM UTC-6, The Greatest! wrote:
>> Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>>> 'Tis the season. For Peaches!
>>>
>>> There's a (sort of) local show where the host of the Very Vera show
>>> recently prepared several things using peaches.

>> <SCHNIP>
>>

>> The least you could do is that *you* make something from peaches, just re - posting someone else's recipes to start a thread is a very paltry "contribution"...
>>
>> Here I was, hoping that you'd scored some local juicy peachy goodness from a farmers market, and I was looking forward to seeing something interesting. As it is your post is utter sheer uselessness - a reflection of yourself...
>>

>> --
>> Best
>> Greg

> Attacking Jill contributed so much didn't it?...a reflection of YOUR uselessness. Smarten up.
> ====

Considering I don't enjoy baking or eating sweets, I figured I'd just
chime up with a recipe for peach cobbler someone else might like to try.
It was on topic. Peaches are in season where I live.

Morrow shouldn't wait with baited breath for my every post to be
something he approves of.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 12:38:22 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Peaches are in season where I live.
>
> Jill

Peaches are in the store now here. As good as they look
they are not ripe so I'm ripening some now and they should
be ready to eat by Sunday, I hope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Putting those I ripe peaches in a brown paper bag with the top closed should
ripen them fairly quickly.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 10:04:45 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> Putting those I ripe peaches in a brown paper bag with the top closed should
> ripen them fairly quickly.
>
> N.

Putting them stem side down on a linen dish towel and then
covering them with another one and leaving them for several
days does wonders. I check them about every other day and
when they begin to smell like a peach and the stem side has
small flat areas they're ready to be consumed.

http://tallcloverfarm.com/74/the-bes...-ripen-peaches
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:26:19 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> My favorite way is to go to the local orchards and get them ripe from
> the tree like nature intended. Peaches from the supermarket are a crap
> shoot. Sometimes they are great, other times mealy.

Yes, that would be my preferred method as well but since there are no
known orchards around here I'm at the mercy of the supermarket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:40:04 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 11:26:19 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> My favorite way is to go to the local orchards and get them ripe from
>> the tree like nature intended. Peaches from the supermarket are a crap
>> shoot. Sometimes they are great, other times mealy.
>>

>Yes, that would be my preferred method as well but since there are no
>known orchards around here I'm at the mercy of the supermarket.

For cooking/baking these are better than fresh:
https://nuts.com/wholesale/driedfruit/peaches/

Peaches Becca EmaNymton General Cooking 20 01-10-2014 11:07 PM
GA Peaches! Billy[_3_] Baking 1 14-08-2008 01:17 AM
Peaches in SC Michael Preserving 4 04-08-2004 03:15 AM
Peaches for Jam? Joyce Preserving 2 30-07-2004 12:16 AM