Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peaches

Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.

http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4

Becca

Peach Cobbler

1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 cups sugar, divided use
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
1 tablespoon lemon juice
cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375F.

Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.

Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:53:06 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

>Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>
>http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
>
>Becca
>

>Peach Cobbler
>
>1/2 cup butter
>1 cup flour
>2 cups sugar, divided use
>1 tablespoon baking powder
>1/4 teaspoon salt
>1 cup milk
>6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
>1 tablespoon lemon juice
> cinnamon
>

>Preheat oven to 375F.
>
>Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
>Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
>slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
>over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>
>Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
>boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
>of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
>it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>
>Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

thank you. I've copied and saved.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca EmaNymton wrote:

>Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>
>http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4

Looks yummy. I would have pureed some, peaches make a nice smoothie.
with some 'nilla ice cream and rum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:47:34 -0300, wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:53:06 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:
>
>>Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.

http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4

>>Becca
>>

>>Peach Cobbler
>>
>>1/2 cup butter
>>1 cup flour
>>2 cups sugar, divided use
>>1 tablespoon baking powder
>>1/4 teaspoon salt
>>1 cup milk
>>6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
>>1 tablespoon lemon juice
>> cinnamon
>>

>>Preheat oven to 375F.
>>
>>Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
>>Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
>>slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
>>over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>>
>>Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
>>boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
>>of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
>>it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>>
>>Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

>Looks lovely but I couldn't find my piece

What piece... I thought that was my piece! LOL
Okay, I'll share.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:53:06 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> Peach Cobbler

Thanks, saved the recipe. I've only made peach cobbler once - wanted
to like it but didn't. No idea if it was the recipe's fault or mine.
I will give your recipe a try because I know you are a good cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 29, 2014 1:49:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>

> >Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.

> >http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4

> Looks yummy. I would have pureed some, peaches make a nice smoothie.
>
> with some 'nilla ice cream and rum.

They're also good in a smoothie with yogurt or another cultured milk.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
>
> Becca
>

> Peach Cobbler
>
> 1/2 cup butter
> 1 cup flour
> 2 cups sugar, divided use
> 1 tablespoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup milk
> 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
> cinnamon
>

> Preheat oven to 375F.
>
> Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
> Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
> slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
> over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>
> Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
> boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
> of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
> it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>
> Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

I like the biscuit dough version

I don't make it often - this should be enough for an 8x8" pan with maybe
a little left over

adapted from the 1997 JoC - this is thinner than the original

whisk together:
1-1/4 cups ap flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

cut 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter into the dry ingredients

add about 3/4 cup milk and mix with a spoon until it just comes together

I try to gently plop uniform-sized globs in neat sort of rows with holes
for steam to escape from the fruit

hope that makes sense

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Looks delicious!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 29, 2014 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4

<rest snipped>

Looks good.

I made this as part of dinner last night:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pea...-cheese-toasts

Surprisingly good combination of flavors!

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/29/2014 10:53 AM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
>
> Becca
>

> Peach Cobbler
>
> 1/2 cup butter
> 1 cup flour
> 2 cups sugar, divided use
> 1 tablespoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup milk
> 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
> cinnamon
>

> Preheat oven to 375F.
>
> Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
> Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
> slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
> over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>
> Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
> boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
> of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
> it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>
> Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

Can you really bring 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 6 cups fresh
peaches to a boil? Won't the sugar absorb all the lemon juice and peach
moisture before boiling can begin?

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2014 9:20 AM, wrote:
> On Monday, September 29, 2014 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.

http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
> <rest snipped>
>
> Looks good.
>
> I made this as part of dinner last night:
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pea...-cheese-toasts
>
> Surprisingly good combination of flavors!

Oh, I can just imagine how good this would taste, thanks for sharing the
recipe. Many months ago we had a Pear & Roquefort Brushetta appetizer at
an Italian restaurant, it was warm and delicious, so I can just imagine
how peaches and blue cheese would taste on toast. It is probably better
for my health than a cobbler.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2014 9:40 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 9/29/2014 10:53 AM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
>>
>> Becca
>>

>> Peach Cobbler
>>
>> 1/2 cup butter
>> 1 cup flour
>> 2 cups sugar, divided use
>> 1 tablespoon baking powder
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1 cup milk
>> 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
>> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>> cinnamon
>>

>> Preheat oven to 375F.
>>
>> Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
>> Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
>> slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
>> over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>>
>> Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
>> boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
>> of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
>> it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>>
>> Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
>>

> Can you really bring 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 6 cups fresh
> peaches to a boil? Won't the sugar absorb all the lemon juice and peach
> moisture before boiling can begin?

The sugar brought out the juices from the sliced peaches, and it did
come to a boil. You can see how juicy it is in the picture.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-30 10:40 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

> Can you really bring 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 6 cups fresh
> peaches to a boil? Won't the sugar absorb all the lemon juice and peach
> moisture before boiling can begin?

Sure, the mixture will boil. The sugar melts and there is moisture in
the fruit that will come out. I will assume that you have never made jam
or jelly. You mix the prepared fruit with a lot of sugar and put the
heat to it. The sugar melts and the mixture comes to a boil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 29, 2014 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>

> http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
>

> Becca
>

> Peach Cobbler
>

> 1/2 cup butter
>
> 1 cup flour
>
> 2 cups sugar, divided use
>
> 1 tablespoon baking powder
>
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>
> 1 cup milk
>
> 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
>
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>
> cinnamon
>

> Preheat oven to 375F.
>

> Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is preheating.
>
> Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the milk
>
> slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the batter
>
> over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>

> Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a
>
> boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add all
>
> of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the fruit as
>
> it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>

> Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

Wow - looks scrumptious. I'd also ask for a scoop of coffee ice cream on top, if it were to be my death row dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:08:35 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> On 9/30/2014 9:20 AM, wrote:
> > On Monday, September 29, 2014 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> >> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.

http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
> > <rest snipped>
> >
> > Looks good.
> >
> > I made this as part of dinner last night:
> > http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pea...-cheese-toasts
> >
> > Surprisingly good combination of flavors!

> Oh, I can just imagine how good this would taste, thanks for sharing the
> recipe. Many months ago we had a Pear & Roquefort Brushetta appetizer at
> an Italian restaurant, it was warm and delicious, so I can just imagine
> how peaches and blue cheese would taste on toast. It is probably better
> for my health than a cobbler.

Pear and blue cheese is a classic, so now that summer peaches are
ending and Fall pears are arriving - that's an alternative idea. My
favorite "blue" is Cambozola and it goes perfectly with pears.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:35:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-09-30 10:40 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>

> > Can you really bring 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 6 cups fresh
> > peaches to a boil? Won't the sugar absorb all the lemon juice and peach
> > moisture before boiling can begin?
> >

> Sure, the mixture will boil. The sugar melts and there is moisture in
> the fruit that will come out. I will assume that you have never made jam
> or jelly. You mix the prepared fruit with a lot of sugar and put the
> heat to it. The sugar melts and the mixture comes to a boil.

My concern would be about the fruit turning to mush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2014 6:40 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Monday, September 29, 2014 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:
>> Several of our peaches were mealy, so I made a cobbler.
>>

>> http://tinypic.com/m/igmfrs/4
>>

>> Becca
>>

>> Peach Cobbler
>>

>> 1/2 cup butter
>>
>> 1 cup flour
>>
>> 2 cups sugar, divided use
>>
>> 1 tablespoon baking powder
>>
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>>
>> 1 cup milk
>>
>> 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches
>>
>> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>>
>> cinnamon
>>

>> Preheat oven to 375F.
>>

>> Place the butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish while the oven is
>> preheating.
>>
>> Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add the
>> milk
>>
>> slowly to prevent clumping, stir just until moistened. Pour the
>> batter
>>
>> over the melted butter in the pan. Do not stir.
>>

>> Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to
>>
>> boil, stirring constantly. Spoon the fruit over the batter and add
>> all
>>
>> of the liquid. Do not stir. The batter will rise up through the
>> fruit as
>>
>> it bakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>>

>> Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

> Wow - looks scrumptious. I'd also ask for a scoop of coffee ice
> cream on top, if it were to be my death row dessert.

Coffee ice cream is a good idea, maybe you could do something like that
for your birthday.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 12:26 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:35:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-09-30 10:40 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>>

>>> Can you really bring 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 6 cups fresh
>>> peaches to a boil? Won't the sugar absorb all the lemon juice and peach
>>> moisture before boiling can begin?
>>>

>> Sure, the mixture will boil. The sugar melts and there is moisture in
>> the fruit that will come out. I will assume that you have never made jam
>> or jelly. You mix the prepared fruit with a lot of sugar and put the
>> heat to it. The sugar melts and the mixture comes to a boil.

> My concern would be about the fruit turning to mush.

This simmered for about 8-9 minutes, so the peach slices still had some
texture to them.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2014 3:35 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-09-30 10:40 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>

>> Can you really bring 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 6 cups fresh
>> peaches to a boil? Won't the sugar absorb all the lemon juice and peach
>> moisture before boiling can begin?
>>

> Sure, the mixture will boil. The sugar melts and there is moisture in
> the fruit that will come out. I will assume that you have never made jam
> or jelly. You mix the prepared fruit with a lot of sugar and put the
> heat to it. The sugar melts and the mixture comes to a boil.

I have made marmalade (lemon) and it required 4 cups of water and 1 cup
of lemon juice in addition to the peel. The pulp and seeds were also
used in a boilable bag that was removed before the final boiling. The
recipe can be found under "Lemons" my "Cooking with David" Web pages per
my signature below.

I think I used a total of 9 lemons. My dwarf lemon tree (about 4-5 feet
tall) produces more fruit than anyone can use.

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-01 5:08 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

>> Sure, the mixture will boil. The sugar melts and there is moisture in
>> the fruit that will come out. I will assume that you have never made jam
>> or jelly. You mix the prepared fruit with a lot of sugar and put the
>> heat to it. The sugar melts and the mixture comes to a boil.
>>

> I have made marmalade (lemon) and it required 4 cups of water and 1 cup
> of lemon juice in addition to the peel. The pulp and seeds were also
> used in a boilable bag that was removed before the final boiling. The
> recipe can be found under "Lemons" my "Cooking with David" Web pages per
> my signature below.

I use a similar method for Seville Orange Marmalade. But, that is
marmalade, not jam. When you make jam you combine the prepared fruit
with the sugar and bring it to a boil. No water is added.

> I think I used a total of 9 lemons. My dwarf lemon tree (about 4-5 feet
> tall) produces more fruit than anyone can use.

Peaches! jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 14 28-08-2016 02:29 PM
GA Peaches! Billy[_3_] Baking 1 14-08-2008 01:17 AM
Peaches in SC Michael Preserving 4 04-08-2004 03:15 AM
Peaches for Jam? Joyce Preserving 2 30-07-2004 12:16 AM