Old 08-06-2016, 05:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT?: Obesity epidemic

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Old 08-06-2016, 06:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

--

sf
Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

This is news? I thought 4 in 10 had already been surpassed.
Much the same as Australia. I assume most western countries are
similar.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 3:18 AM, Je´┐Żus wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

This is news? I thought 4 in 10 had already been surpassed.
Much the same as Australia. I assume most western countries are
similar.

Not sure where they get those numbers, and not saying there isn't a
weight issue, but what is the point of posting that link? Who is
CTV and why are they so worried about Americans? So many questions.

nancy

Old 08-06-2016, 01:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
obese. It's ridiculous.

N.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

--

sf

LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

Cheri

Old 08-06-2016, 02:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
obese. It's ridiculous.

I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
fitness level.

I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
that would skew the results.

nancy
Old 08-06-2016, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
obese. It's ridiculous.

I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
fitness level.

I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
that would skew the results.

Not always. I've been obese or morbidly obese all my life, and my
doctor only sees me every few years. Every time he sees me he says,
you're in good shape, let's try to keep it that way (meaning, let's
not screw up your health with a bunch of drugs of dubious utility),
you should lose some weight.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 08-06-2016, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The
last time
they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
obese. It's ridiculous.

I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
fitness level.

I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
that would skew the results.

BMI is suspect. When my husband was in the military he always failed the
BMI tests but he didn't have an ounce of spare fat on him. He did however
have a lot of muscle which weighs heavy. Those tests never allowed for
that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-06-2016, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 8:51 AM, Cheri wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

--

sf

LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

Cheri

Or the people who sit in front of a computer and order online?

Jill

Old 08-06-2016, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

--

sf

LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

LOL! I think you nailed it, Cheri. hahaha
Old 08-06-2016, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

--

sf

LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
small and crowded for that.

--

sf
Old 08-06-2016, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 9:41 AM, Ophelia wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote

I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
fitness level.

BMI is suspect. When my husband was in the military he always failed
the BMI tests but he didn't have an ounce of spare fat on him. He did
however have a lot of muscle which weighs heavy. Those tests never
allowed for that.

Makes no sense. Most top athletes would probably fail to meet
the BMI index that says they aren't overweight.

nancy

Old 08-06-2016, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 9:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:

I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
that would skew the results.

Not always. I've been obese or morbidly obese all my life, and my
doctor only sees me every few years. Every time he sees me he says,
you're in good shape, let's try to keep it that way (meaning, let's
not screw up your health with a bunch of drugs of dubious utility),
you should lose some weight.

Everyone is different, and I am 100% happy that you do not
have health problems.

But, we are constantly reminded that excess weight has ties to
all kinds of illnesses such as diabetes and cardiovascular
problems. I don't know where else these numbers are derived,
I am only weighed at the doctor's office.

Meaning, seems to me there is only one place where they are
getting the numbers to come up with these stats, and a lot of
people only go to the doctor if something is wrong.

I'm not making any kind of blanket statement that if you
are overweight, you are sick.

nancy

Old 08-06-2016, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2016 9:39 PM, graham wrote:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Look in the mirror, porkchop.