Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default E. coli epidemic

The latest suggestion from Germany for a culprit is bean sprouts. On the
warning of a bacteriologist friend, I've always blanched bean sprouts
(throw into boiling water and then strain as soon as the water boils
again) before using them but I have to admit that I like Pho soup and I
know nothing about the sprouts served with it.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 12:52 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> The latest suggestion from Germany for a culprit is bean sprouts. On the
> warning of a bacteriologist friend, I've always blanched bean sprouts
> (throw into boiling water and then strain as soon as the water boils
> again) before using them but I have to admit that I like Pho soup and I
> know nothing about the sprouts served with it.

I like Pho and I don't think the typical restaurant that serves it does
anything more than reach into a bag of fresh sprouts when assembling the
table salad.

I like sprouts but am living on the edge because I don't care for them
when blanched.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 2:17 PM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/5/2011 12:52 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>> The latest suggestion from Germany for a culprit is bean sprouts. On

> the
>>> warning of a bacteriologist friend, I've always blanched bean sprouts
>>> (throw into boiling water and then strain as soon as the water boils
>>> again) before using them but I have to admit that I like Pho soup and

>>> know nothing about the sprouts served with it.
>>>

>> I like Pho and I don't think the typical restaurant that serves it does
>> anything more than reach into a bag of fresh sprouts when assembling

> the
>> table salad.
>>
>> I like sprouts but am living on the edge because I don't care for them
>> when blanched.

> George,
>
> You turned me on to Pho-76 years ago, 12th and Washington Ave, South
> Philly, USA, which I totally enjoyed!
>
> I forget if the sprouts were on the side or cooked into the soup (stew?).
> Whatever, I tossed in with reckless abandon!
>
> Except for the ceramic soup spoon, the waiter was kind enough to offer me
> a fork, noticing I was chop stick challenged. He and I were of the same
> mind... "We'd like to get out of here before tomorrow morning!" which
> could've happened.<G>
>
> Haven't been there in a few years.
>
> I've never once had food poisoning, luckily but I am wary of warnings.

It's possible that the freshly served Pho soup would be hot enough to
sterilize the sprouts if you immersed them immediately but you can't
count on it.
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:08:06 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>It's possible that the freshly served Pho soup would be hot enough to
>sterilize the sprouts if you immersed them immediately but you can't
>count on it.

I was thinking that myself. What a drag that we have to watch what we
eat like we do.

Most of my food is high temp wok cooking. Temps that make almost
everything safe.