Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT?: Obesity epidemic

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
> > they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
> > obese. It's ridiculous.

> I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
> talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
> fitness level.
>
> I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
> doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
> that would skew the results.

Not always. I've been obese or morbidly obese all my life, and my
doctor only sees me every few years. Every time he sees me he says,
you're in good shape, let's try to keep it that way (meaning, let's
not screw up your health with a bunch of drugs of dubious utility),
you should lose some weight.

Cindy Hamilton