Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vietnamese grilled fish!

Wrapped in banana leaves:

http://southeastasianfood.about.com/.../r/CaNuong.htm

Aromatic, richly flavored and super moist, this Vietnamese grilled fish
is a fine illustration of why, in many cases, less is more. The
seasonings and spices are few but they are just enough to bring out the
fresh flavors of the fish.

Wrapping the fish in banana leaf prior to grilling keeps as much of the
moisture in while still allowing the fish to acquire a smoky flavor and
aroma. The banana leaf also imparts its own flavor and aroma to the fish
which give it another layer of richness.

INGREDIENTS
1 whole fish, about 2 kilograms
1/2 cup shredded fresh ginger root
6 finely chopped shallots
1 bird's eye chili, thinly sliced
2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced
4 teaspoons light soy sauce
4 teaspoons fresh lime, kalamansi or lemon juice
6 shallots, thinly sliced
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
pepper to taste

Or how about right on the hot coals?

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/c...s-telopea-fish

While Luke Nguyen uses the locally abundant Telopea fish to prepare this
typical Dai-style dish from China, you could also use sole, flounder or
baby snapper. This is a great dish for the barbecue and needs little
else but steamed rice and a cold beer.

Ingredients

2 lemongrass stalks, reserving the long green leaves
1 long red chilli, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 whole Telopea fish, cleaned (or sole, flounder or baby snapper)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2016 12:33:18 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:

> http://southeastasianfood.about.com/.../r/CaNuong.htm

> http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/c...s-telopea-fish

Saved. I probably won't follow the recipes, but I like those
ingredients and can work with them. Thanks!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2016 4:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2016 12:33:18 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:
>
>> http://southeastasianfood.about.com/.../r/CaNuong.htm

>> http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/c...s-telopea-fish

> Saved. I probably won't follow the recipes, but I like those
> ingredients and can work with them. Thanks!

It's just as much if not more fun to freelance a bit.

If you can find a good whole fish like a Pompano or sea bass to work
with these should provide a some grill-stable meals.

Fortunately our local Pros/Los Altos ranch market always has banana leaves.

It's always a good thing to make up a jar of nuoc cham sauce and have it
in the fridge - keeps for a month or so and all you need to do is mix it
with oil for a nice marinade for a lot of things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2016 1:05 PM, Cloudbuster wrote:
> On 5/2/2016 4:58 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 May 2016 12:33:18 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:
>>
>>> http://southeastasianfood.about.com/.../r/CaNuong.htm

>>> http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/c...s-telopea-fish

>> Saved. I probably won't follow the recipes, but I like those
>> ingredients and can work with them. Thanks!
>>

> It's just as much if not more fun to freelance a bit.
>
> If you can find a good whole fish like a Pompano or sea bass to work
> with these should provide a some grill-stable meals.

Anything except tilapia!

> Fortunately our local Pros/Los Altos ranch market always has banana leaves.

You'd think I'd be able to find banana leaves on this tropical rock. If
I had some, I'd warp pork roasts in them and slow cook it. It leaves
quite a mark on the flavor. Some folks might not like it but I'm used to
pork prepared this way.

> It's always a good thing to make up a jar of nuoc cham sauce and have it
> in the fridge - keeps for a month or so and all you need to do is mix it
> with oil for a nice marinade for a lot of things.

Wonderful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 12:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/2/2016 1:05 PM, Cloudbuster wrote:

>>> Saved. I probably won't follow the recipes, but I like those
>>> ingredients and can work with them. Thanks!
>>>

>> It's just as much if not more fun to freelance a bit.
>>
>> If you can find a good whole fish like a Pompano or sea bass to work
>> with these should provide a some grill-stable meals.

> Anything except tilapia!

Healthy as they may be yes, the bland factor always underwhelms me.

>> Fortunately our local Pros/Los Altos ranch market always has banana
>> leaves.

> You'd think I'd be able to find banana leaves on this tropical rock. If
> I had some, I'd warp pork roasts in them and slow cook it. It leaves
> quite a mark on the flavor. Some folks might not like it but I'm used to
> pork prepared this way.

You mean you can;t find them?

How is that possible?

I think there must be a banana leaf hoarder at work there.

>> It's always a good thing to make up a jar of nuoc cham sauce and have it
>> in the fridge - keeps for a month or so and all you need to do is mix it
>> with oil for a nice marinade for a lot of things.

> Wonderful!

When it comes time to marinade all I need to add is more garlic and
maybe a teaspoon of sambal olek.

Bing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 9:30 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 12:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's just as much if not more fun to freelance a bit.
>>>
>>> If you can find a good whole fish like a Pompano or sea bass to work
>>> with these should provide a some grill-stable meals.

>> Anything except tilapia!

> Healthy as they may be yes, the bland factor always underwhelms me.

I can't say if tilapia is a healthy food. I think it's good to eat the
fish because it's eminently sustainable. Heck one day, I might be able
to eat tilapia. OTOH, if I'm lucky, I'll be dead before that day comes.

>>> Fortunately our local Pros/Los Altos ranch market always has banana
>>> leaves.

>> You'd think I'd be able to find banana leaves on this tropical rock. If
>> I had some, I'd warp pork roasts in them and slow cook it. It leaves
>> quite a mark on the flavor. Some folks might not like it but I'm used to
>> pork prepared this way.

> You mean you can;t find them?
>
> How is that possible?
>
> I think there must be a banana leaf hoarder at work there.

I can get it for free but it's kinda embarrassing asking for it. This
looks like it's gonna be a big year for mangoes. I'm hoping to get of
bunch of mangoes. I'm not too proud to ask for 'em either.

>>> It's always a good thing to make up a jar of nuoc cham sauce and have it
>>> in the fridge - keeps for a month or so and all you need to do is mix it
>>> with oil for a nice marinade for a lot of things.

>> Wonderful!

> When it comes time to marinade all I need to add is more garlic and
> maybe a teaspoon of sambal olek.
>
> Bing!

Hoo boy - life is grand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 1:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 9:30 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:

>>> Anything except tilapia!

>> Healthy as they may be yes, the bland factor always underwhelms me.

> I can't say if tilapia is a healthy food. I think it's good to eat the
> fish because it's eminently sustainable. Heck one day, I might be able
> to eat tilapia. OTOH, if I'm lucky, I'll be dead before that day comes.

LOL, with our luck the first thing they'll 3D print out as food will be
a Tilapia!

Oh no...

>>> You'd think I'd be able to find banana leaves on this tropical rock. If
>>> I had some, I'd warp pork roasts in them and slow cook it. It leaves
>>> quite a mark on the flavor. Some folks might not like it but I'm used to
>>> pork prepared this way.

>> You mean you can;t find them?
>>
>> How is that possible?
>>
>> I think there must be a banana leaf hoarder at work there.

> I can get it for free but it's kinda embarrassing asking for it. This
> looks like it's gonna be a big year for mangoes. I'm hoping to get of
> bunch of mangoes. I'm not too proud to ask for 'em either.

Mangoes rock - so useful and so versatile too.

But I find it hard to get past whizzing them into a smoothie ...

>>> Wonderful!

>> When it comes time to marinade all I need to add is more garlic and
>> maybe a teaspoon of sambal olek.
>>
>> Bing!
>>

> Hoo boy - life is grand.

It has its moments, yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 9:54 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 1:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Healthy as they may be yes, the bland factor always underwhelms me.

>> I can't say if tilapia is a healthy food. I think it's good to eat the
>> fish because it's eminently sustainable. Heck one day, I might be able
>> to eat tilapia. OTOH, if I'm lucky, I'll be dead before that day
>> comes.

> LOL, with our luck the first thing they'll 3D print out as food will be
> a Tilapia!
>
> Oh no...

Tilapia will be so cheap it'll be more economical to grow 'em. I think
they should be processed into cakes of protein. Call 'em Soylent Green
II.

>>> You mean you can;t find them?
>>>
>>> How is that possible?
>>>
>>> I think there must be a banana leaf hoarder at work there.

>> I can get it for free but it's kinda embarrassing asking for it. This
>> looks like it's gonna be a big year for mangoes. I'm hoping to get of
>> bunch of mangoes. I'm not too proud to ask for 'em either.

> Mangoes rock - so useful and so versatile too.
>
> But I find it hard to get past whizzing them into a smoothie ...

The mangoes here are totally ridiculous.

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...one-790760.JPG

>>> When it comes time to marinade all I need to add is more garlic and
>>> maybe a teaspoon of sambal olek.
>>>
>>> Bing!
>>>

>> Hoo boy - life is grand.
>>

> It has its moments, yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 2:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 9:54 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:

>>> I can't say if tilapia is a healthy food. I think it's good to eat the
>>> fish because it's eminently sustainable. Heck one day, I might be able
>>> to eat tilapia. OTOH, if I'm lucky, I'll be dead before that day
>>> comes.

>> LOL, with our luck the first thing they'll 3D print out as food will be
>> a Tilapia!
>>
>> Oh no...

> Tilapia will be so cheap it'll be more economical to grow 'em. I think
> they should be processed into cakes of protein. Call 'em Soylent Green
> II.

Wait now, that's encroaching on Pollock's territory!

>>> I can get it for free but it's kinda embarrassing asking for it. This
>>> looks like it's gonna be a big year for mangoes. I'm hoping to get of
>>> bunch of mangoes. I'm not too proud to ask for 'em either.

>> Mangoes rock - so useful and so versatile too.
>>
>> But I find it hard to get past whizzing them into a smoothie ...
>>

> The mangoes here are totally ridiculous.
>
> http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...one-790760.JPG

Zowie!

Put those in a bra and Sheldon will be all over 'em...