Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vietnamese Grilled Beef

Côm Boø Nöôùng Saû ala Sqwertz
(You need a Unicode-aware newsreader to see that)

Grilled sliced tri-tip marinated in nouc cham, lemongrass, nuoc mau,
and mam tom and then grilled hot and fast. There's also a piece of
chicken breast done the same way hiding in there. I would usually
wrap the beef around the green onions, but the tri-tip was sliced
too narrow to make decent sized rolls. But it still tasted
the same :-)

Beef minus the marinade:
http://i38.tinypic.com/1248q5f.jpg

A couple of the marinade ingredients, and the mam nem):
http://i38.tinypic.com/kq88l.jpg

Grilled green onions, radish marinated in rice wine, water, and
sugar. Jasmine rice and Brussels sprouts (Hey I'm sure somebody in
Vietnam has eaten brussels sprouts)

Finished plate:
http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg

On the side - the red stuff in back - is mam nem: Whole fermented
anchovy mixed with pineapple and chiles. This wasn't a very good
brand. It tasted fine at first but it left a numbing sensation in
my mouth. And there were some hard bones (fish skulls) in there.
Making a decent version of this at home is impossible unless you
have a reliable source of bulk fermented anchovies sold in bulk at
good Vietnamese grocers. It looks like buckets of mud - can't miss
'em. You'll smell them before you see them.

All in all, an 8.7 out of 10. It needed a better mam nem sauce -
the cornerstone of a traditional Vietnamese Bo 7 Mon ("7 courses of
beef") meal. The grilled beef was especially excellent - the
perfect marinade.

Bo 7 Mon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B2_7_m%C3%B3n

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On the side - the red stuff in back - is mam nem: Whole fermented
> anchovy mixed with pineapple and chiles. This wasn't a very good
> brand. It tasted fine at first but it left a numbing sensation in
> my mouth.

Szechuan pepper has that effect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On the side - the red stuff in back - is mam nem: Whole fermented
>> anchovy mixed with pineapple and chiles. This wasn't a very good
>> brand. It tasted fine at first but it left a numbing sensation in
>> my mouth.

> Szechuan pepper has that effect.

I was going to mention that it wasn't that kind of numbing. It
actually did tingle as well, but it wasn't a Sichuan pepper
tingle/numbing sensation. I can still fell it on my tongue - almost
like my tongue has been lightly burned in the center.

As far as I know, Vietnamese don't use anything like Sichuan pepper.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:30:46 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Côm Boø Nöôùng Saû ala Sqwertz
> (You need a Unicode-aware newsreader to see that)
>
> Grilled sliced tri-tip marinated in nouc cham, lemongrass, nuoc mau,
> and mam tom and then grilled hot and fast. There's also a piece of
> chicken breast done the same way hiding in there. I would usually
> wrap the beef around the green onions, but the tri-tip was sliced
> too narrow to make decent sized rolls. But it still tasted
> the same :-)
>
> Finished plate:
> http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg

it looks very good, steve.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:30:46 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Côm Boø Nöôùng Saû ala Sqwertz
> > (You need a Unicode-aware newsreader to see that)
> >
> > Grilled sliced tri-tip marinated in nouc cham, lemongrass, nuoc mau,
> > and mam tom and then grilled hot and fast. There's also a piece of
> > chicken breast done the same way hiding in there. I would usually
> > wrap the beef around the green onions, but the tri-tip was sliced
> > too narrow to make decent sized rolls. But it still tasted
> > the same :-)
> >
> > Finished plate:
> > http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg

> it looks very good, steve.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Steve, do you cook on gas or electric? Just curious!
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:21:07 -0600:

>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:30:46 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
> >> Côm Boø Nöôùng Saû ala Sqwertz
> >> (You need a Unicode-aware newsreader to see that)
> >>
> >> Grilled sliced tri-tip marinated in nouc cham, lemongrass,
> >> nuoc mau, and mam tom and then grilled hot and fast.
> >> There's also a piece of chicken breast done the same way
> >> hiding in there. I would usually wrap the beef around the
> >> green onions, but the tri-tip was sliced too narrow to make
> >> decent sized rolls. But it still tasted the same :-)
> >>
> >> Finished plate:
> >> http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg

>> it looks very good, steve.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Steve, do you cook on gas or electric? Just curious!

The glares from those who have plonked him but see him quoted are
sufficient :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:21:07 -0600:

> >> it looks very good, steve.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > Steve, do you cook on gas or electric? Just curious!

> The glares from those who have plonked him but see him quoted are
> sufficient :-)

Why would you plonk Sqwertz??? <innocent look>
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Steve, do you cook on gas or electric? Just curious!

Neither. Wood.

Well, OK - the rice was cooked on a gas stove.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Côm Boø Nöôùng Saû ala Sqwertz
> (You need a Unicode-aware newsreader to see that)
>
> Grilled sliced tri-tip marinated in nouc cham, lemongrass, nuoc mau,
> and mam tom and then grilled hot and fast. There's also a piece of
> chicken breast done the same way hiding in there. I would usually
> wrap the beef around the green onions, but the tri-tip was sliced
> too narrow to make decent sized rolls. But it still tasted
> the same :-)
>
> Beef minus the marinade:
> http://i38.tinypic.com/1248q5f.jpg
>
> A couple of the marinade ingredients, and the mam nem):
> http://i38.tinypic.com/kq88l.jpg
>
> Grilled green onions, radish marinated in rice wine, water, and
> sugar. Jasmine rice and Brussels sprouts (Hey I'm sure somebody in
> Vietnam has eaten brussels sprouts)
>
> Finished plate:
> http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg
>
> On the side - the red stuff in back - is mam nem: Whole fermented
> anchovy mixed with pineapple and chiles. This wasn't a very good
> brand. It tasted fine at first but it left a numbing sensation in
> my mouth. And there were some hard bones (fish skulls) in there.
> Making a decent version of this at home is impossible unless you
> have a reliable source of bulk fermented anchovies sold in bulk at
> good Vietnamese grocers. It looks like buckets of mud - can't miss
> 'em. You'll smell them before you see them.
>
> All in all, an 8.7 out of 10. It needed a better mam nem sauce -
> the cornerstone of a traditional Vietnamese Bo 7 Mon ("7 courses of
> beef") meal. The grilled beef was especially excellent - the
> perfect marinade.
>
> Bo 7 Mon:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B2_7_m%C3%B3n
>
> -sw

Holy COW!

That is some well marbled tri tip.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Finished plate:
>http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg

Very nice. Did you eat that whole plate by yourself?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Steve, do you cook on gas or electric? Just curious!

> Neither. Wood.
>
> Well, OK - the rice was cooked on a gas stove.
>
> -sw

Thanks. :-)

Our house is all electric, but I grew up cooking on gas.

All kidding aside, have you ever cooked on a wood stove? I have done so
only on vacation when staying in ocean side cabins in Oregon. It has
it's own set of challenges, but it's do-able.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> Holy COW!
>
> That is some well marbled tri tip.

I was pretty impressed with it. I have two more in the freezer, all
from CostCo.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:30:46 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Finished plate:
>>http://i33.tinypic.com/243jfcx.jpg

> Very nice. Did you eat that whole plate by yourself?

I'd been preparing that stuff all day, off and on, starting with the
nuoc mau at 9:30am. What do you think? ;-)

I don't eat except on weekends. It's the only time I have to cook
any more.

-sw