Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_18_] dsi1[_18_] is offline

Default Vietnamese grilled fish!

On 5/3/2016 9:30 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 12:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's just as much if not more fun to freelance a bit.
>>>
>>> If you can find a good whole fish like a Pompano or sea bass to work
>>> with these should provide a some grill-stable meals.

>> Anything except tilapia!

> Healthy as they may be yes, the bland factor always underwhelms me.

I can't say if tilapia is a healthy food. I think it's good to eat the
fish because it's eminently sustainable. Heck one day, I might be able
to eat tilapia. OTOH, if I'm lucky, I'll be dead before that day comes.

>>> Fortunately our local Pros/Los Altos ranch market always has banana
>>> leaves.

>> You'd think I'd be able to find banana leaves on this tropical rock. If
>> I had some, I'd warp pork roasts in them and slow cook it. It leaves
>> quite a mark on the flavor. Some folks might not like it but I'm used to
>> pork prepared this way.

> You mean you can;t find them?
>
> How is that possible?
>
> I think there must be a banana leaf hoarder at work there.

I can get it for free but it's kinda embarrassing asking for it. This
looks like it's gonna be a big year for mangoes. I'm hoping to get of
bunch of mangoes. I'm not too proud to ask for 'em either.

>>> It's always a good thing to make up a jar of nuoc cham sauce and have it
>>> in the fridge - keeps for a month or so and all you need to do is mix it
>>> with oil for a nice marinade for a lot of things.

>> Wonderful!

> When it comes time to marinade all I need to add is more garlic and
> maybe a teaspoon of sambal olek.
>
> Bing!

Hoo boy - life is grand.