Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > I love an Epsom salt bath. Very soothing after exercising or doing
>> > other strenuous things. The magnesium is good for muscle cramps. I
>> > buy it in a 4 kilogram container, and use that to fill up a pretty
>> > glass cannister in my bathroom.
>> >
>> > I've never heard of needing to use it in specific proportions - I
>> > generally throw about 2 cups of the stuff into the tub before
>> > filling it up.

>> Because I am diabetic, I was given specific proportions for soaking
>> my feet. I was to use barely warm water and much less salt than one
>> might normally use. Also a very brief soak.

> You need to fire that person who advised something silly like that. The
> only thing you have to watch for is neural apathy (lack of feeling) and
> the water too hot so you burn yourself.

Oh bull! There are other reasons why we should not soak. And I do have
neuropathy. Don't give me medical advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Gary asked:
> > Julie...a question for you. You often mention "stockpiling" food.
> > Just how much do you stockpile? For how many weeks or months or years?
> >
> > In other words, if food availability stopped right now, how long could
> > you and the two others last without buying more food?

> Well, my stockpile isn't full right now. Not the canned goods anyway. When
> full, I figure we could probably eat a balanced and somewhat varied diet for
> a month. After that, we could maybe eat for another month but meals might
> start lacking in variety and might not be balanced.

<snip detailed stockpile list>

Thanks for that. I was just curious. Your stockpile is large but
doesn't sound too excessive for a family of three. Lots of things in
there though. It must keep you busy checking dates and/or rotating
stock. I could go about a month with what I have. Might not all be
what I want but it would be food to survive like in a hurricane
aftermath situation.

I should really curtail my shopping and try to eat up all that I have,
just to use up the old things. My grocery bill would be very small for
several weeks.

Here's a tip for you and others here. Always keep a supply of cash in
small bills in case of weather problems. We had a hurricane 'close
pass' about 15 years ago. Electricity here was off for many days. Even
without electricity, many stores would open for a few hours each day
using their generators. All were cash only though. I had plenty of
money in the bank but couldn't access it. I learned a valuable lesson
that week and I always keep a small stash now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 08:03:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Gary asked:
>> > Julie...a question for you. You often mention "stockpiling" food.
>> > Just how much do you stockpile? For how many weeks or months or years?
>> >
>> > In other words, if food availability stopped right now, how long could
>> > you and the two others last without buying more food?

>> Well, my stockpile isn't full right now. Not the canned goods anyway. When
>> full, I figure we could probably eat a balanced and somewhat varied diet for
>> a month. After that, we could maybe eat for another month but meals might
>> start lacking in variety and might not be balanced.

><snip detailed stockpile list>
>
>Thanks for that. I was just curious. Your stockpile is large but
>doesn't sound too excessive for a family of three. Lots of things in
>there though. It must keep you busy checking dates and/or rotating
>stock. I could go about a month with what I have. Might not all be
>what I want but it would be food to survive like in a hurricane
>aftermath situation.
>
>I should really curtail my shopping and try to eat up all that I have,
>just to use up the old things. My grocery bill would be very small for
>several weeks.
>
>Here's a tip for you and others here. Always keep a supply of cash in
>small bills in case of weather problems. We had a hurricane 'close
>pass' about 15 years ago. Electricity here was off for many days. Even
>without electricity, many stores would open for a few hours each day
>using their generators. All were cash only though. I had plenty of
>money in the bank but couldn't access it. I learned a valuable lesson
>that week and I always keep a small stash now.

We lived in Hampton during that one. We had a whole house generator
and loaned our small one to two neighbors. By running it in 12 hour
shifts and not opening them frequently they were both able to keep
their frozen foods frozen.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:09:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I meant that you were pointing out the obvious.

>> didn't seem obvious to me when you said "I need to keep a

>> You appear to be saying
>> that either that the amount of dry pasta from Costco is beyond your
>> family ability to eat before it goes bad or that your family can't eat
>> the cooked pasta before it goes bad.
>> Janet US

>Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark about
>buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one example of
>things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than that.
>Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
>Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
>
>What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
>large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 8:03 AM, Gary wrote:

> I should really curtail my shopping and try to eat up all that I have,
> just to use up the old things. My grocery bill would be very small for
> several weeks.
>
> Here's a tip for you and others here. Always keep a supply of cash in
> small bills in case of weather problems. We had a hurricane 'close
> pass' about 15 years ago. Electricity here was off for many days.

We're doing that right now. Found a few things hidden in the back so it
is time to go through and clear out.

As for cash, you never know when you'll need it and can't get it easily.
People would trust me though, I have an honest face!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-08 9:08 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.

The cooking instructions for pasta are usually written on the package
and they generally require a certain amount of salted water to be
brought to a boil and then dump in the whole package. Some people don't
realize that you can cook less than that whole box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Don't forget that she is the one who said that she had to throw out the
>>> contents of her freezer because the power went out for a few hours.
>>>

>> Tongue-in-cheek: I thought *everyone* knew the contents of the freezer
>> will spoil if the power is out for a few hours! Throw it away!
>>
>> Nope, not even after 24 hours or more, assuming the freezer is at proper
>> temp and you aren't opening the freezer door constantly. Meanwhile,
>> you'd better be contacting the power company. They can usually tell you
>> why there is an outage and give estimates as to when it will be restored.
>>
>> She'll probably say she didn't mean dried pasta, but again Costco and
>> large amounts seem to go hand in hand. It would not surprise me if she
>> threw away dried pasta based on some random date. She's really big into
>> the expiration date thing.

> You're an idiot too! I have a freezer thermometer. I know how to use it.
> One for the fridge too.
>
> And nobody threw any pasta away. I was replying to sf saying that she
> only bought for three days at a time. That wouldn't be prudent for many
> people in terms of money spent. Nor would it be prudent if they live in a
> area where they could get snowed in.
>
> Now STFU before you make yourself look even more stupid.

LMAO, you go!!!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>>> news >>> > On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 15:44:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Because I am diabetic, I was given specific proportions for soaking
>>> my feet. I was to use barely warm water and much less salt than one
>>> might normally use. Also a very brief soak.

>> You need to fire that person who advised something silly like that. The
>> only thing you have to watch for is neural apathy (lack of feeling) and
>> the water too hot so you burn yourself.

> Oh bull! There are other reasons why we should not soak. And I do have
> neuropathy. Don't give me medical advice.

Absolutely.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Tongue-in-cheek: I thought *everyone* knew the contents of the freezer
>>> will spoil if the power is out for a few hours! Throw it away!
>>>
>>> Nope, not even after 24 hours or more, assuming the freezer is at proper
>>> temp and you aren't opening the freezer door constantly. Meanwhile,
>>> you'd better be contacting the power company. They can usually tell you
>>> why there is an outage and give estimates as to when it will be
>>> restored.
>>>
>>> She'll probably say she didn't mean dried pasta, but again Costco and
>>> large amounts seem to go hand in hand. It would not surprise me if she
>>> threw away dried pasta based on some random date. She's really big into
>>> the expiration date thing.

>> You're an idiot too! I have a freezer thermometer. I know how to use
>> it. One for the fridge too.
>>
>> And nobody threw any pasta away. I was replying to sf saying that she
>> only bought for three days at a time. That wouldn't be prudent for many
>> people in terms of money spent. Nor would it be prudent if they live in
>> a area where they could get snowed in.
>>
>> Now STFU before you make yourself look even more stupid.

> LMAO, you go!!!

+1
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> You need to fire that person who advised something silly like that. The
>>> only thing you have to watch for is neural apathy (lack of feeling) and
>>> the water too hot so you burn yourself.

>> Oh bull! There are other reasons why we should not soak. And I do have
>> neuropathy. Don't give me medical advice.

> Absolutely.

+1
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:08:30 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark about
> >buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one example of
> >things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than that.
> >Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
> >Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
> >
> >What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
> >large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
> Janet US

Julie is very literal in a black & white fashion. Buy a pound of dry
pasta, and of course you need to cook all of it at once.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2016 9:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 18:11:12 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:
>

>> LOl, well, my estimate was a tad high, I think it was closer to 50.

> Forgiven.

:-)

>> But a good Mexican market is priceless, the array of meat cuts that your
>> "normal" market might never stock is the clincher.

> I have to hold back, because (I think you've noticed) I don't have
> freezer space for that.

It needs to be close by then, yes.

>> And oh the in-store restaurants, I think maybe they have not figured out
>> that stuffed customers buy less ;-)

> No in store restaurants here, except for the sections where you'd sit
> to eat deli food and no Mexican grocery store in this area I can think
> of has anything like that.

Oh you are so missing out!

Going to Los Altos is a party and shop[ping in one.

>> And fresh masa - aw shoot, I'm getting hungry as I key this...

> Me too! Have I ever mentioned cup tamales? They used to be very San
> Francisco, but are virtually unheard of now. I call them the lazy
> man's tamale, and (IMO) they are every bit as tasty as the real thing.
> I make mine in a regular sized cupcake pan, which makes just enough
> for dinner and couple of lunches/snacks.

You did some time back and honestly I need to do some of those, almost a
Yorkshire pudding hybrid then.

And I'd use manteca instead of beef tallow, you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Janet B" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:09:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> didn't seem obvious to me when you said "I need to keep a
> >> You appear to be saying
> >> that either that the amount of dry pasta from Costco is beyond your
> >> family ability to eat before it goes bad or that your family can't eat
> >> the cooked pasta before it goes bad.
> >> Janet US

> >Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark about
> >buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one example of
> >things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than that.
> >Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
> >Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
> >
> >What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
> >large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
> Janet US

Only Julie needs everything to be spelled out. I try to buy only
enough *fresh* food for 3 days... which means meat and vegetables
(just so Julie can understand). I have a stockpile (no pantry) of
dried and canned goods, just like everyone else - so no need to buy
anything specific unless I'm replenishing or it's out of the ordinary.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Because I am diabetic, I was given specific proportions for soaking
>>> my feet. I was to use barely warm water and much less salt than one
>>> might normally use. Also a very brief soak.

>> You need to fire that person who advised something silly like that. The
>> only thing you have to watch for is neural apathy (lack of feeling) and
>> the water too hot so you burn yourself.

> Oh bull! There are other reasons why we should not soak. And I do have
> neuropathy. Don't give me medical advice.

Notice how bove said she was told to soak her feet with specific
proportions? Then she goes on to say "there are other reasons why we
should not soak"? Dang, bove cannot keep her 'stories' straight! Is it
no wonder why so many folks question anything bove says?

Yet, bove readily promotes quack health advice and other so-called
remedies and more-than-questionable web-links and their sources! After
all, bove consults pet-psychics to allegedly discover a raccoon
allegedly abducted her missing cat! Yeah, that's bove's story and she
believes it! Go figure.

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 3:24 PM, Sky wrote:
> Notice how bove said she was told to soak her feet with specific
> proportions?

Why don't you go soak your hate-filled HEAD, in a bucket of kerosene!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 2:52 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:22:09 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

(hopefully snippage is correct?)

>>> Don't forget that she is the one who said that she had to throw out the
>>> contents of her freezer because the power went out for a few hours.

>> yes. Given that history, I posted info that I thought would be
>> helpful.
>> Janet US

> No. You're just an idiot who can't follow a thread.

Bove apparently is unable to follow well-proven and best-intentioned
suggestions. Allegedly, bove does not request any advice, although the
opposite is implied whenever she posts anything! After all, it seems
bove prefers confrontation and and promotes aggravation. Such a sad and
sorry way to live.

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 2:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Don't forget that she is the one who said that she had to throw out the
>>> contents of her freezer because the power went out for a few hours.
>>>

>> Tongue-in-cheek: I thought *everyone* knew the contents of the
>> freezer will spoil if the power is out for a few hours! Throw it away!
>>
>> Nope, not even after 24 hours or more, assuming the freezer is at
>> proper temp and you aren't opening the freezer door constantly.
>> Meanwhile, you'd better be contacting the power company. They can
>> usually tell you why there is an outage and give estimates as to when
>> it will be restored.
>>
>> She'll probably say she didn't mean dried pasta, but again Costco and
>> large amounts seem to go hand in hand. It would not surprise me if
>> she threw away dried pasta based on some random date. She's really
>> big into the expiration date thing.

> You're an idiot too! I have a freezer thermometer. I know how to use
> it. One for the fridge too.
>
> And nobody threw any pasta away. I was replying to sf saying that she
> only bought for three days at a time. That wouldn't be prudent for many
> people in terms of money spent. Nor would it be prudent if they live in
> a area where they could get snowed in.
>
> Now STFU before you make yourself look even more stupid.

LOL! Perhaps bove should become a stand-up comedienne! It's all to
easy to be funny when one comes across as being absolutely idiotic!
Everyone clap their hands in applause, eh?!

Sky

P.S. I'd've snipped this post, but its entirety is rather required to
maintain its 'evolution' - I hope that makes sense <G>.

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 4:00 PM, Sky wrote:
> it seems bove prefers confrontation

It seems you need a rusty ladle shoved up your fetid log flume.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 4:05 PM, Sky wrote:
> Perhaps bove should become a stand-up comedienne!

Perhaps you should be put in a commercial dehydrator and use to make
vinegar salt out of.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 4:17 PM, Sky wrote:
> Bove's (current) last name is her Italian married name -- no telling what

I think you're about to suffer a massive persoanl data leak.

Trust me...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-08 4:32 PM, sf wrote:

> Only Julie needs everything to be spelled out. I try to buy only
> enough *fresh* food for 3 days... which means meat and vegetables
> (just so Julie can understand).

You should try to understand how much more work it is for Julie to shop
that for the rest of us. When she goes out and gets fresh meat she is
then faced with all the work involved in cooking and freezing it to be
re-heated later one.

> I have a stockpile (no pantry) of
> dried and canned goods, just like everyone else - so no need to buy
> anything specific unless I'm replenishing or it's out of the ordinary.

Me too. I have a number of things that I consider to be non perishable
staples, like canned salmon and tuna, passada, various condiments,
flour, sugar, tapioca, and cereals. Then there are the perishable
staples, like eggs, butter, milk and cream. Next are the relatively non
perisable fruits and vegetables, like carrots, onions and potatoes.
Then there are the more perishable fruits and vegetables.
Meats can be frozen, but I like to get fresh fish at least once a week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-08 5:24 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 4/8/2016 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Yet, bove readily promotes quack health advice and other so-called
> remedies and more-than-questionable web-links and their sources! After
> all, bove consults pet-psychics to allegedly discover a raccoon
> allegedly abducted her missing cat! Yeah, that's bove's story and she
> believes it! Go figure.

Yes, it is not the first time that she has been caught in a lie.
Apparently there are a few dullards here who think that pointing out
Bove's lies is stalking. I think of it more as a public service
announcement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 4:41 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Apparently there are a few dullards here who think that pointing out
> Bove's lies is stalking. I think of it more as a public service
> announcement.

But then you're an ex-trucker bully ******* whose obsession with Julie
is enormous!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Gary asked:
>> > Julie...a question for you. You often mention "stockpiling" food.
>> > Just how much do you stockpile? For how many weeks or months or years?
>> >
>> > In other words, if food availability stopped right now, how long could
>> > you and the two others last without buying more food?

>> Well, my stockpile isn't full right now. Not the canned goods anyway.
>> When
>> full, I figure we could probably eat a balanced and somewhat varied diet
>> for
>> a month. After that, we could maybe eat for another month but meals
>> might
>> start lacking in variety and might not be balanced.

> <snip detailed stockpile list>
>
> Thanks for that. I was just curious. Your stockpile is large but
> doesn't sound too excessive for a family of three. Lots of things in
> there though. It must keep you busy checking dates and/or rotating
> stock. I could go about a month with what I have. Might not all be
> what I want but it would be food to survive like in a hurricane
> aftermath situation.

Not really. I try to eat the stuff down to next to nothing, then restock.
I begin my restocking in Sept. so I will for sure check the dates then. I
did go to Big Lots yesterday and stocked up on little cans but they had no
corn. So I know those will be good for awhile.

I kept far less food when I was single. Everywhere I lived in those days
was within walking distance of a store. And I wasn't disabled. So if I did
get snowed in, I could still get out if I had to. But I also lived on or
near roads that were plowed. So even if we got a lot of snow, I knew I
would be plowed out in a day or two. That is not the case here. No plows.

Also, even though I am a picky eater, I wouldn't whine and complain if I did
have to eat the same things three days in a row. I would just be thankful
for the food.

> I should really curtail my shopping and try to eat up all that I have,
> just to use up the old things. My grocery bill would be very small for
> several weeks.
>
> Here's a tip for you and others here. Always keep a supply of cash in
> small bills in case of weather problems. We had a hurricane 'close
> pass' about 15 years ago. Electricity here was off for many days. Even
> without electricity, many stores would open for a few hours each day
> using their generators. All were cash only though. I had plenty of
> money in the bank but couldn't access it. I learned a valuable lesson
> that week and I always keep a small stash now.

I do that too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Oh and see my Italian last name? I do know pasta.

You're a pasta expert simply because you married some guy with an
Italian name and background?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:09:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> didn't seem obvious to me when you said "I need to keep a
>>> You appear to be saying
>>> that either that the amount of dry pasta from Costco is beyond your
>>> family ability to eat before it goes bad or that your family can't eat
>>> the cooked pasta before it goes bad.
>>> Janet US

>>Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark
>>about
>>buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one example
>>of
>>things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than
>>that.
>>Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
>>Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
>>
>>What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
>>large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
> Janet US

OMG! Just STFU you freaking idiot! How in the world could I possibly know
how much pasta another person will eat? My psychic powers are not that
good. At some point in time there will be leftovers!

You don't know how to read at all. Do you? My reply was to sf who said
that she only buys food for three days at a time. The freaking pasta was
just an example. I was trying to point out that if you buy some things at
Costco like I do, you'll have to buy more than you can eat in three days
unless you have a really huge family or are cooking for a crowd.

There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.

I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a pot
holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow. Yellow!
Squee!

Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even problems
for me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 4:56 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Oh and see my Italian last name? I do know pasta.

> You're a pasta expert simply because you married some guy with an
> Italian name and background?

You're a rabbit-killing, bad-toothed, verminous turd, despite being an
Auztard, so go figger...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2016-04-08 9:08 AM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>>

> The cooking instructions for pasta are usually written on the package and
> they generally require a certain amount of salted water to be brought to a
> boil and then dump in the whole package. Some people don't realize that
> you can cook less than that whole box.

What is wrong with you people? Your lives must be hell. Sitting around
thinking up things that might be problems for others. But aren't really
problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:08:30 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark
>> >about
>> >buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one
>> >example of
>> >things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than
>> >that.
>> >Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
>> >Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
>> >
>> >What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
>> >large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>> Janet US

> Julie is very literal in a black & white fashion. Buy a pound of dry
> pasta, and of course you need to cook all of it at once.

OMFG! Do any of you who are replying to this even BUY pasta at Costco? And
yes, I know that they sell different types and varieties of pasta. What I
buy comes with 6 packages, wrapped together in plastic. 2 each of three
types of pasta. Each package is 6 servings. Now math is not my strong
point. But I think I am buying 36 servings of pasta at once. I have no
choice but to buy it that way as that is how they sell it. It is no problem
for me. NO PROBLEM! But it is more food than we can eat in three days.

Which was my whole point to begin with. Restricting yourself to buying only
three day's worth of food makes no sense to me with something like this. I
could buy one package of the same pasta at Central Market as that is the
only place that sells this brand. One package may still be more than we'd
eat in three days but... I'd be paying far more per package to buy it this
way. And of course if we were a family who rarely ate pasta, this might
make sense. However, I know that we'll eat all 6 packages before they go
bad. So...

Grrr... I'm going to go set up my new patio umbrella then make chili and
corn muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:08:30 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Janet B" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark
>> >about
>> >buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one
>> >example of
>> >things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than
>> >that.
>> >Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
>> >Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
>> >
>> >What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
>> >large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>> Janet US

> Only Julie needs everything to be spelled out. I try to buy only
> enough *fresh* food for 3 days... which means meat and vegetables
> (just so Julie can understand). I have a stockpile (no pantry) of
> dried and canned goods, just like everyone else - so no need to buy
> anything specific unless I'm replenishing or it's out of the ordinary.

That's not what you said sf. I had a lady tell me that They she buys food
for two weeks at a time. And that is exactly what she meant. Milk and
bread went in the freezer. If they ran out of something? Oh well. They
just wouldn't have it. This came up in reference to my running to the store
almost daily to shop for my MIL. The woman who did every two week shopping
was the list maker. And I certainly know of others who do the same.

If you meant fresh food, why didn't you say that? Never assume.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 5:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>> Janet US

> OMG! Just STFU you freaking idiot! How in the world could I possibly
> know how much pasta another person will eat? My psychic powers are not
> that good. At some point in time there will be leftovers!
>
> You don't know how to read at all. Do you? My reply was to sf who said
> that she only buys food for three days at a time. The freaking pasta
> was just an example. I was trying to point out that if you buy some
> things at Costco like I do, you'll have to buy more than you can eat in
> three days unless you have a really huge family or are cooking for a crowd.
>
> There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.
>
> I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
> piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a
> pot holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow.
> Yellow! Squee!
>
> Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even
> problems for me?

Dat Brit bitch has some serious attitude warpage fo sho!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2016-04-08 4:32 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> Only Julie needs everything to be spelled out. I try to buy only
>> enough *fresh* food for 3 days... which means meat and vegetables
>> (just so Julie can understand).

> You should try to understand how much more work it is for Julie to shop
> that for the rest of us. When she goes out and gets fresh meat she is
> then faced with all the work involved in cooking and freezing it to be
> re-heated later one.

For crying in the beer! I did that one time. Once. Only because I was
falsely told that it was really good meat. It wasn't. I wouldn't normally
buy that much meat at once no matter how cheap. But I trusted the person
who told me how good it was. Only after the fact did I realize that this
person doesn't even cook. She had gone out and bought tons of the stuff to
give away to people, thinking it was some sort of hideous mistake on
someone's part to be selling it for that cheap. No. It was just bad, cheap
meat. Still available for that price and I feel sorry for those who have to
eat it.

I don't buy a lot of meat. What I do buy is not usually cheap. If I get it
on sale, great. If not, oh well. I usually buy organic, grass fed. The
meat that I mentioned above was not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 5:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2016-04-08 9:08 AM, Janet B wrote:
>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>>>

>> The cooking instructions for pasta are usually written on the package
>> and they generally require a certain amount of salted water to be
>> brought to a boil and then dump in the whole package. Some people
>> don't realize that you can cook less than that whole box.

> What is wrong with you people? Your lives must be hell. Sitting around
> thinking up things that might be problems for others. But aren't really
> problems.

He's been off his oats since he retired from the chicken coop and can't
bully truckers any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:01:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark
>>>about
>>>buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one example
>>>of
>>>things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than
>>>that.
>>>Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
>>>Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
>>>
>>>What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
>>>large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>> Janet US

>OMG! Just STFU you freaking idiot! How in the world could I possibly know
>how much pasta another person will eat? My psychic powers are not that
>good. At some point in time there will be leftovers!
>
>You don't know how to read at all. Do you? My reply was to sf who said
>that she only buys food for three days at a time. The freaking pasta was
>just an example. I was trying to point out that if you buy some things at
>Costco like I do, you'll have to buy more than you can eat in three days
>unless you have a really huge family or are cooking for a crowd.
>
>There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.
>
>I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
>piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a pot
>holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow. Yellow!
>Squee!
>
>Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even problems
>for me?

I think your thyroid problem is acting up; certainly you are too old
for PMS. I do buy all my pasta at Costco. If you'll go back and read
my original reply there was never any need for you to fly off the
handle. I didn't criticize you or make fun of you. I made a post
just as I would have for anyone in this group. I suggest it is time
for you to stop digging that hole. Don't bother with another round of
hysterics unless you are entertained by reading them yourself.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 5:01:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
<Some snippage>

> There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.
>
> I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
> piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a pot
> holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow. Yellow!
> Squee!
>
> Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even problems
> for me?

Holly Moley Batman...those pots are $80.00 up here. That'll be the day I would pay that much for a genuine "RACHAEL RAY" pasta pot. You must be rollin' in dough.
====