Old 05-04-2016, 02:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

William

Old 05-04-2016, 02:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

That is too broad a question to be answered in any meaningful way. You
need to be more specific, either by food group or by whether you pay
attention to the "best if used by" date or some other measure.

That said, I keep cooked meat only 3 days because I have a fussy stomach. The same
goes for anything with cooked eggs. I keep anything with uncooked egg, like leftover
batter, only overnight. I keep canned food (stored in a plastic container) up
to a week. Anything else...if it looks or smells even slightly "off," out it goes.

N.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 06:16:41 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
wrote:

You
need to be more specific

I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.

I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

William

Old 05-04-2016, 03:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

William wrote:

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

Leftovers in fridge are eaten within 3-5 days. After that, tossed.
That rarely happens though. I often freeze things.

Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
That's almost 7 months ago.

What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.

Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
buy another on sale for only $1.50.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 7:00:43 AM UTC-6, BigC300 wrote:
What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

William

Expiration dates are basically for the sellers/manufacturers of food products. Notice many are called "best sold by" dates! Meaningless as far as food integrity is concerned, most times. Just means it's the best estimate by which a food product would not come up to whatever standards the seller/manufacturere wants it to be. I use my own best judgement as to whether a food product is fit to put in my mouth, thank you very much!!

John Kuthe...
Old 05-04-2016, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 10:24:06 -0400, Gary wrote:

William wrote:

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

Leftovers in fridge are eaten within 3-5 days. After that, tossed.
That rarely happens though. I often freeze things.

Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
That's almost 7 months ago.

What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.

Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
buy another on sale for only $1.50.

I'd have rolled it in bird seed and slapped it on a tree branch. I
never trash any foods the critters can eat.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:27:11 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

I eat stuff before it goes bad. And if it goes bad I throw it away.

-sw

sounds like a plan to me

William

Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William wrote:

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

William

I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
has to be used.

Doris
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William wrote:

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

I eat stuff before it goes bad. And if it goes bad I throw it away.

-sw

yep. I think that was the consensus each of the many times a thread like
this has appeared.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:55:51 -0400, Doris Night
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William wrote:

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

William

I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
has to be used.

Doris

I do that too for the kinds of things you mentioned.
Janet US
Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 9:00:43 AM UTC-4, BigC300 wrote:
What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

William

By guess and by golly:

When did I cook this?
Is it acidic?
Does it look or smell funny?
And, occasionally:
Aw, hell. It's yogurt. How could I tell if it's gone bad?

I'll keep meat a week, and stuff like salsa or
spaghetti sauce until it's fuzzy on top. Generally,
though, things just get eaten up before it comes to
that.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I eat stuff before it goes bad. And if it goes bad I throw it away.

-sw

sounds like a plan to me

William

And to me, same here. I very seldomly have anything go bad.

Cheri

Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

You
need to be more specific

I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.

I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

William

I've kept cooked bacon for two week with no problem. I do the same
thing, cooking it on the weekend but just reheating on work days. If
you freeze it, it will still heat in 30 seconds or so.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 10:24 AM, Gary wrote:

Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
That's almost 7 months ago.

What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.

Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
buy another on sale for only $1.50.

No mold? I'd use it. I'd used it a few months past the date already.