Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:18:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-04-06 10:07 AM, Janet B wrote:
>
>> I get baking soda and baking powder in the bulk section at Winco.
>> Buying that way makes it so much easier to keep everything fresh and
>> it is less expensive.
>>

>I find a lot of things much cheaper in bulk. Last week I got enough
>oregano, dried parsley and dried mint to refill my little metal
>canisters and the total was 65 cents. They would have been at least $3
>each to buy them in packages in the grocery store.

I know! I love buying at the bulk section. And, frankly, the bulk
section here carries a wider variety of seasonings than the regular
aisle. The only thing they don't carry is Herbes de Provence. I know
I can make the mix myself but then I end up with far more than I need.
Things have become far more interesting as they address the interests
of recent immigrants.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
> >
> >> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> >> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
> >>

> > I buy food for 3 days which usually expands to 5 and try not to cook
> > more than will be consumed by dinner the following day. At least
> > that's the plan. Very little goes into the garbage and there are no
> > science experiments in my refrigerator.

> That would be doable here except for the winter. Although we haven't been
> snowed in for several years, it can happen. So I need to keep a stockpile
> for winter. Also with things that I buy at Costco like pasta, there will be
> far more than we can eat in that length of time.

Julie...a question for you. You often mention "stockpiling" food.
Just how much do you stockpile? For how many weeks or months or years?

In other words, if food availability stopped right now, how long could
you and the two others last without buying more food?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I'd have rolled it in bird seed and slapped it on a tree branch. I
> never trash any foods the critters can eat.

I could have tossed it off my back porch.
The seagulls have radar here for tossed food.
One shows up quickly then many show up within minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-06 10:23 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:18:13 -0400, Dave Smith

>> I find a lot of things much cheaper in bulk. Last week I got enough
>> oregano, dried parsley and dried mint to refill my little metal
>> canisters and the total was 65 cents. They would have been at least $3
>> each to buy them in packages in the grocery store.

> I know! I love buying at the bulk section. And, frankly, the bulk
> section here carries a wider variety of seasonings than the regular
> aisle. The only thing they don't carry is Herbes de Provence. I know
> I can make the mix myself but then I end up with far more than I need.
> Things have become far more interesting as they address the interests
> of recent immigrants.

So true. There is a much wider selection of spices in the Bulk Barn than
in the grocery stores. If you have old jars or bottles from the usual
spice and herb suppliers they cost $2-5 apiece to replace, but most of
those jars can be refilled for less than 30 cents. I bought a couple
dozen small stainless canisters at Lee Valley and filled them with herbs
and spices bought in bulk from thee Bulk Barn. When I bought them they
were only about $2.50 each, which was cheaper than a bottle of
McCormicks products and it cost about 20-30 cents to fill them.

One time I was in the bulk section of the grocery store and got enough
tarragon to fill the old McCormicks bottle. It was too light to register
on the cashier's scale so she didn't charge me for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 3:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Toss that bacon. You could have put it in the freezer and it would have
>>> been fine. I buy cooked bacon all the time. Needs to be used or frozen
>>> within 7 days.

>> BS. Bacon is loaded with salt and nitrates. I've often had it 10 to
>> 14 days and it is OK. The 7 days was something written by a lawyer.

> I must disagree. I buy it cooked all the time but once I failed to put
> it in the freezer after it was opened. It was slimy and green at 10 days.

I cook my own from real bacon. Can't speak for processed stuff from a
factory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 23:44:27 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:47:04 -0400, William > wrote:
> >
> >> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
> >> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
> >> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
> >>
> >> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?
> >>

> >I would have put that in the freezer. It's easy enough to freeze in
> >2-3 day batches or put them on a sheet pan to freeze individually and
> >store in a gallon bag.

> I'm going to have to start doing that. We used to eat bacon. Now I
> only use a couple of slices for something and the rest goes rancid
> before I get back to it.

Packaged bacon lasts a long time but once you open it, it goes bad
within days. Once, I cooked about half of a package and froze the rest
raw. Only about a week later, the frozen raw bacon had that off/rotten
smell and taste. ugghh.

Best to cook it all at once and freeze *cooked* leftover bacon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:16:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Janet B wrote:

>> >I would have put that in the freezer. It's easy enough to freeze in
>> >2-3 day batches or put them on a sheet pan to freeze individually and
>> >store in a gallon bag.

>> I'm going to have to start doing that. We used to eat bacon. Now I
>> only use a couple of slices for something and the rest goes rancid
>> before I get back to it.

>Packaged bacon lasts a long time but once you open it, it goes bad
>within days. Once, I cooked about half of a package and froze the rest
>raw. Only about a week later, the frozen raw bacon had that off/rotten
>smell and taste. ugghh.
>
>Best to cook it all at once and freeze *cooked* leftover bacon.

I don't know why, but it seems to me (and Alton Brown) that raw pork
easily picks up funky flavors and smells from the fridge/freezer.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 11:20 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:16:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Janet B wrote:

>>> I'm going to have to start doing that. We used to eat bacon. Now I
>>> only use a couple of slices for something and the rest goes rancid
>>> before I get back to it.

>> Packaged bacon lasts a long time but once you open it, it goes bad
>> within days. Once, I cooked about half of a package and froze the rest
>> raw. Only about a week later, the frozen raw bacon had that off/rotten
>> smell and taste. ugghh.
>>
>> Best to cook it all at once and freeze *cooked* leftover bacon.

> I don't know why, but it seems to me (and Alton Brown) that raw pork
> easily picks up funky flavors and smells from the fridge/freezer.
> Janet US

Not if it's well wrapped.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/04/2016 8:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-04-06 10:23 AM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:18:13 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I find a lot of things much cheaper in bulk. Last week I got enough
>>> oregano, dried parsley and dried mint to refill my little metal
>>> canisters and the total was 65 cents. They would have been at least $3
>>> each to buy them in packages in the grocery store.

>> I know! I love buying at the bulk section. And, frankly, the bulk
>> section here carries a wider variety of seasonings than the regular
>> aisle. The only thing they don't carry is Herbes de Provence. I know
>> I can make the mix myself but then I end up with far more than I need.
>> Things have become far more interesting as they address the interests
>> of recent immigrants.

> So true. There is a much wider selection of spices in the Bulk Barn than
> in the grocery stores. If you have old jars or bottles from the usual
> spice and herb suppliers they cost $2-5 apiece to replace, but most of
> those jars can be refilled for less than 30 cents. I bought a couple
> dozen small stainless canisters at Lee Valley and filled them with herbs
> and spices bought in bulk from thee Bulk Barn. When I bought them they
> were only about $2.50 each, which was cheaper than a bottle of
> McCormicks products and it cost about 20-30 cents to fill them.

I have the same and store them in the freezer door. Some spices however,
are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:16:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Janet B wrote:

>> >I would have put that in the freezer. It's easy enough to freeze in
>> >2-3 day batches or put them on a sheet pan to freeze individually and
>> >store in a gallon bag.

>> I'm going to have to start doing that. We used to eat bacon. Now I
>> only use a couple of slices for something and the rest goes rancid
>> before I get back to it.

>Packaged bacon lasts a long time but once you open it, it goes bad
>within days. Once, I cooked about half of a package and froze the rest
>raw. Only about a week later, the frozen raw bacon had that off/rotten
>smell and taste. ugghh.
>
>Best to cook it all at once and freeze *cooked* leftover bacon.

Bacon has a relatively brief shelf life and doesn't freeze well due to
it's high salt content. There are plenty of web sites listing the
shelf life of bacon in all its permutations:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...afety/ct_index
http://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/me...piration-date/
I don't recommend stocking up on bacon, even unopened it will store
safely for about six months in the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:19:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Many of thse dates are actually 'best used by' (for taste or a minor
>> drop in nutrition) and many are artificial. Grin, my salt has an
>> expiration on it. Really?

>OMG...how funny is that? I just looked and you are correct.
>My salt was created millions of years ago and it expires
>in just 4 years from now. lol.

Both my Diamond Crystal table salt and kosher salt packages have no
dates.... perhaps yoose are tawkin' Epsom Salt.
I have more than a dozen forty pound sacks of water softener salt, no
dates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 6:49 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Stock is variable.

I have been stuffing my fat little ****ing face again with food I
'borrowed' from:

https://www.austinfoodbank.org/news/...unteer-quarter

OK I admit it, I am eating my way through Texas.

Make me a zip code, or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 10:27 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> And if it goes bad I throw it away.
>
> -sw

I have been stuffing my fat little ****ing face again with food I
'borrowed' from:

https://www.austinfoodbank.org/news/...unteer-quarter

OK I admit it, I am eating my way through Texas.

Make me a zip code, or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 12:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:19:01 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> Many of thse dates are actually 'best used by' (for taste or a minor
>>> drop in nutrition) and many are artificial. Grin, my salt has an
>>> expiration on it. Really?

>> OMG...how funny is that? I just looked and you are correct.
>> My salt was created millions of years ago and it expires
>> in just 4 years from now. lol.

> Both my Diamond Crystal table salt and kosher salt packages have no
> dates....

Dates are randomly stamped at the plant so people think if there's a tad
bit of caking due to humidity they need to throw away the salt and buy
more. It's stupid, but apparently some people buy into those dates.

Epsom salt? I can't speak for Gary. I don't happen to have any. I
associate that with needing to soak tired feet in a basin. No, I've
never done that.

> I have more than a dozen forty pound sacks of water softener salt, no
> dates.

More than a dozen forty pounds sacks of water softener salts. I'm sure
glad I live in a place where I don't have to treat my own water.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:23:09 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Gary, it is fairly obvious when any dairy product is bad. If you throw out the
>> cream cheese just because of the date, you might as well throw $1.50 in the
>> trash instead.

>I agree with you, Nancy2. It looked and smelled fine yesterday but I
>did toss it right into the trash. A dairy product almost 7 months out
>of date was a bit much for me to consider using.
>
>Next time I buy cream cheese it will to be used right away.

Cream cheese by itself doesn't freeze well but if you use cream cheese
to bake a cheese cake it can keep frozen for 2-3 months. There are
many recipes that use cream cheese as an ingredient.
These can keep frozen for a long time:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7326/cr...-pound-cake-i/
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ies-95146.aspx
You can extend the shelf life of most perishables by using them as an
ingredient in a recipe.
---
BTW, don't use bananas in jello, the bananas will become slimey, turn
black, stink, and ruin the jello... that big batch I made recently was
good the next day but by the second day it became inedible. Now I
know why I never see jello containing sliced bananas. The jello
packages say you can add fruit but not fresh or frozen pineapple,
kiwifruit, gingerroot, papaya, figs, or guava... they need to add
banana.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:37:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I'd have rolled it in bird seed and slapped it on a tree branch. I
>> never trash any foods the critters can eat.

>I could have tossed it off my back porch.
>The seagulls have radar here for tossed food.
>One shows up quickly then many show up within minutes.

Here the crows do that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 11:30:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/6/2016 11:20 AM, Janet B wrote:

>>> Packaged bacon lasts a long time but once you open it, it goes bad
>>> within days. Once, I cooked about half of a package and froze the rest
>>> raw. Only about a week later, the frozen raw bacon had that off/rotten
>>> smell and taste. ugghh.
>>>
>>> Best to cook it all at once and freeze *cooked* leftover bacon.

>> I don't know why, but it seems to me (and Alton Brown) that raw pork
>> easily picks up funky flavors and smells from the fridge/freezer.
>> Janet US
>>

>Not if it's well wrapped.
>
>Jill

I disagree. I am the queen of triple wrapping and more. It could be
a matter of nose sensitivity.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 12:01 PM, Janet B wrote:

>>> I don't know why, but it seems to me (and Alton Brown) that raw pork
>>> easily picks up funky flavors and smells from the fridge/freezer.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Not if it's well wrapped.
>>
>> Jill

> I disagree. I am the queen of triple wrapping and more. It could be
> a matter of nose sensitivity.
> Janet US

Triple wrapping is always the best way to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tzashHTqU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 11:29 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:37:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd have rolled it in bird seed and slapped it on a tree branch. I
>>> never trash any foods the critters can eat.

>> I could have tossed it off my back porch.
>> The seagulls have radar here for tossed food.
>> One shows up quickly then many show up within minutes.

> Here the crows do that.

How are they on pizza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_lSRi7iw4Y

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 11:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> More than a dozen forty pounds sacks of water softener salts. I'm sure
> glad I live in a place where I don't have to treat my own water.
>
> Jill

That's not "water" it's runoff from the Love Canal!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 1:23:15 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Epsom salt? I can't speak for Gary. I don't happen to have any. I
> associate that with needing to soak tired feet in a basin. No, I've
> never done that.

I have some because my doctor's PA recommended an Epsom salts
soak after I stepped on a nail. The container looks just
like an old paper half-gallon milk carton.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:16:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Best to cook it all at once and freeze *cooked* leftover bacon.

I was talking about cooked bacon, as was William. If that was
anything I'd consider, I'd undercook the bacon slightly for freezing.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:20:33 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> I don't know why, but it seems to me (and Alton Brown) that raw pork
> easily picks up funky flavors and smells from the fridge/freezer.

I don't own a vacuum seal machine. If you do, have you tried that
method?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 08:07:34 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 23:57:17 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:55:51 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:

> >> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
> >> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
> >> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
> >> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
> >> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
> >> has to be used.
> >>

> >Good idea! I need to get better about marking dates. I try to
> >remember to label my baking soda and baking powder because I use them
> >so slowly, but often forget.

> I get baking soda and baking powder in the bulk section at Winco.
> Buying that way makes it so much easier to keep everything fresh and
> it is less expensive.
> Janet US

No Winco here and I haven't ever seen them in a bulk section. They're
cheap enough that I don't mind replacing them, but I need to be better
about putting a date on the package. I was caught off guard once with
the baking soda - everything was fresh, but whatever it was didn't
turn out the way it should have - so I looked at the box and it was a
year or two out of date. I've gotten much better about refreshing
them since then.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:18:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2016-04-06 10:07 AM, Janet B wrote:
>
> > I get baking soda and baking powder in the bulk section at Winco.
> > Buying that way makes it so much easier to keep everything fresh and
> > it is less expensive.
> >

> I find a lot of things much cheaper in bulk. Last week I got enough
> oregano, dried parsley and dried mint to refill my little metal
> canisters and the total was 65 cents. They would have been at least $3
> each to buy them in packages in the grocery store.

You have to pay attention with bulk items because they might be less
expensive, but the quality isn't as good either. Oregano is one of
them. I'd rather pay more and have something that is fresher and has
less debris. I rarely use fresh parsley and never use dried, so no
comment.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:42:31 -0600, graham > wrote:

> Some spices however,
> are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.

No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
bottles.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 1:45 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:42:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> Some spices however,
>> are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.

> No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
> bottles.

Ques lastima!

Y entonces, lo mas fino:

https://www.instacart.com/safeway/pr...partment_id=43

http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-el-guapo.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/04/2016 1:45 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:42:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> Some spices however,
>> are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.

> No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
> bottles.

It's usual in the SMs here to have a display of a dozen or so bulk
spices and herbs, usually the most commonly used things like cinnamon,
cumin, oregano, paprika etc. in large packets right next to the fancy
little jars.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 3:17 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 1:23:15 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>
>> Epsom salt? I can't speak for Gary. I don't happen to have any. I
>> associate that with needing to soak tired feet in a basin. No, I've
>> never done that.

> I have some because my doctor's PA recommended an Epsom salts
> soak after I stepped on a nail. The container looks just
> like an old paper half-gallon milk carton.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I didn't say I've never seen it. I said I don't have any.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 13:55:05 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:

> On 4/6/2016 1:45 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:42:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> >> Some spices however,
> >> are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.

> > No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
> > bottles.

> Ques lastima!
>
> Y entonces, lo mas fino:
>
> https://www.instacart.com/safeway/pr...partment_id=43
>
> http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-el-guapo.html

Aha. Okay. Not a very wide choice in that section, mainly whatever
is deemed necessary for Mexican cooking and not a wide choice there
either. I'd rather buy other oregano anyway. Tried that, didn't like
it.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 3:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 13:55:05 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:

>>> No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
>>> bottles.

>> Ques lastima!
>>
>> Y entonces, lo mas fino:
>>
>> https://www.instacart.com/safeway/pr...partment_id=43
>>
>> http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-el-guapo.html

> Aha. Okay. Not a very wide choice in that section, mainly whatever
> is deemed necessary for Mexican cooking and not a wide choice there
> either. I'd rather buy other oregano anyway. Tried that, didn't like
> it.

It's a GREAT selection!

Where else will you find achiote, chamomile flowers, epazote, cat's
claw, damiana, or horehound?

Not from McCormicks!

There's roughly 60 different spices and products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-06 10:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I buy food for 3 days which usually expands to 5 and try not to cook
>>> more than will be consumed by dinner the following day. At least
>>> that's the plan. Very little goes into the garbage and there are no
>>> science experiments in my refrigerator.

>> That would be doable here except for the winter. Although we haven't been
>> snowed in for several years, it can happen. So I need to keep a stockpile
>> for winter. Also with things that I buy at Costco like pasta, there will be
>> far more than we can eat in that length of time.

> Julie...a question for you. You often mention "stockpiling" food.
> Just how much do you stockpile? For how many weeks or months or years?
>
> In other words, if food availability stopped right now, how long could
> you and the two others last without buying more food?

It sort of makes you wonder why she was worried about her husband and
daughter being incapable of doing a little shopping while she was laid
up with a foot problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>That's not "water" it's runoff from the Love Canal!

Most people don't know they have hard water... municipal water
companies very often supply very hard water but they are not obligated
to inform their customers so long as water meets Federal standards for
potability. Since I have my own well I have my water tested for all
sorts of things and including hardness each year, and the softener
serviced and adjusted... with soft water I have no plumbing problems,
no mineral build up, and I use far less cleaning products, I can even
use half as much shampoo. With soft water there's even no soap scum
build up, takes no time to wipe down bathroom fixtures. Soft water
keeps hot water heaters maintenance free, and saves substantially on
heating fuel. Softening my water more than pays for itself, with
testing and service my well water costs less then when I used
municiple water for years. And showering with softened water is
luxorious... the times I've had female guests they informed me how
their skin felt so good while bathing that they couldn't stop touching
themselves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 15:12:55 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:

> On 4/6/2016 3:06 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Ques lastima!
> >>
> >> Y entonces, lo mas fino:
> >>
> >> https://www.instacart.com/safeway/pr...partment_id=43
> >>
> >> http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-el-guapo.html

> > Aha. Okay. Not a very wide choice in that section, mainly whatever
> > is deemed necessary for Mexican cooking and not a wide choice there
> > either. I'd rather buy other oregano anyway. Tried that, didn't like
> > it.
> >

> It's a GREAT selection!
>
> Where else will you find achiote, chamomile flowers, epazote, cat's
> claw, damiana, or horehound?
>
> Not from McCormicks!
>
> There's roughly 60 different spices and products.

Not hanging in blister packs where I shop!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 14:40:35 -0600, graham > wrote:

> On 06/04/2016 1:45 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:42:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> >> Some spices however,
> >> are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.

> > No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
> > bottles.
> >

> It's usual in the SMs here to have a display of a dozen or so bulk
> spices and herbs, usually the most commonly used things like cinnamon,
> cumin, oregano, paprika etc. in large packets right next to the fancy
> little jars.
> Graham

Not where I shop.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 17:26:01 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2016-04-06 10:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> That would be doable here except for the winter. Although we haven't been
> >> snowed in for several years, it can happen. So I need to keep a stockpile
> >> for winter. Also with things that I buy at Costco like pasta, there will be
> >> far more than we can eat in that length of time.

> > Julie...a question for you. You often mention "stockpiling" food.
> > Just how much do you stockpile? For how many weeks or months or years?
> >
> > In other words, if food availability stopped right now, how long could
> > you and the two others last without buying more food?
> >

> It sort of makes you wonder why she was worried about her husband and
> daughter being incapable of doing a little shopping while she was laid
> up with a foot problem.

Ha.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 13:02:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 4/6/2016 11:29 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> I could have tossed it off my back porch.
>>> The seagulls have radar here for tossed food.
>>> One shows up quickly then many show up within minutes.

>> Here the crows do that.
>>

>How are they on pizza?

Crows eat everything, especially road kill... crows scoff up pizza
like a guido. In fact tonight's dinner is pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 12:31:04 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:20:33 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> I don't know why, but it seems to me (and Alton Brown) that raw pork
>> easily picks up funky flavors and smells from the fridge/freezer.

>I don't own a vacuum seal machine. If you do, have you tried that
>method?

no I don't own one either. It might just be that my nose is more
sensitive. I have been successful double or triple wrapping with
cling film and overwrapping with foil or putting the packages inside a
over bag.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:42:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> Some spices however,
>> are cheap enough in those 3"x4" packets that most supermarkets carry.

> No idea what packets you're talking about. My stores have spices in
> bottles.

Yep. I have seen Mexican seasonings in packets though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"carnal asada" > wrote in message
> On 4/6/2016 3:06 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Ques lastima!
>>>
>>> Y entonces, lo mas fino:
>>>
>>> https://www.instacart.com/safeway/pr...partment_id=43
>>>
>>> http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-el-guapo.html

>> Aha. Okay. Not a very wide choice in that section, mainly whatever
>> is deemed necessary for Mexican cooking and not a wide choice there
>> either. I'd rather buy other oregano anyway. Tried that, didn't like
>> it.
>>

> It's a GREAT selection!
>
> Where else will you find achiote, chamomile flowers, epazote, cat's claw,
> damiana, or horehound?
>
> Not from McCormicks!
>
> There's roughly 60 different spices and products.

From a health food store?