Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Malted Barley Flour

Does anyone use Malted Barley Flour in their home cooking?

I noticed it as an ingredient on a package of bagels I bought at the
local Whole Foods. We have a couple of bagel places in town and I
figured store-bought couldn't possibly be as good as those, but these
were better and they've become a staple here. And they stay fresh and
soft remarkably long, too.

Because they list malted barley flour as an ingredient, I did some
reading - all kinds of interesting stuff out there, including things
about tannins (sp?). Whatever the case may be about that, I'm
considering buying some to try around here. We don't bake a lot but if
a little malted barley flour makes our stuff taste anything like these
bagels from WF, I want to try it.

Thanks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Does anyone use Malted Barley Flour in their home cooking?
>
> I noticed it as an ingredient on a package of bagels I bought at the
> local Whole Foods. We have a couple of bagel places in town and I
> figured store-bought couldn't possibly be as good as those, but these
> were better and they've become a staple here. And they stay fresh
> and soft remarkably long, too.
>
> Because they list malted barley flour as an ingredient, I did some
> reading - all kinds of interesting stuff out there, including things
> about tannins (sp?). Whatever the case may be about that, I'm
> considering buying some to try around here. We don't bake a lot but
> if a little malted barley flour makes our stuff taste anything like
> these bagels from WF, I want to try it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

Humm, sorry but no experience with it. I know where to get it locally
though. Whole foods and trader joes both have it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 06:28:15 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Does anyone use Malted Barley Flour in their home cooking?
>
>I noticed it as an ingredient on a package of bagels I bought at the
>local Whole Foods. We have a couple of bagel places in town and I
>figured store-bought couldn't possibly be as good as those, but these
>were better and they've become a staple here. And they stay fresh and
>soft remarkably long, too.
>
>Because they list malted barley flour as an ingredient, I did some
>reading - all kinds of interesting stuff out there, including things
>about tannins (sp?). Whatever the case may be about that, I'm
>considering buying some to try around here. We don't bake a lot but if
>a little malted barley flour makes our stuff taste anything like these
>bagels from WF, I want to try it.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-S-

try here
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...t-powder-16-oz
I've never had malted barley flour, but have added Diastatic Malt
Powder to my individual bread recipes. If you are just looking for
the flavor, non-diastatic malt will do or even the powder you get to
make malted milks at home. I buy diastatic malt flour at King Arthur
Flour. Some have sprouted barley, dried it and ground it. I don't
think it was Graham, but maybe.
There are several very knowledgeable posters here who can add more
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2016 10:34 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 06:28:15 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone use Malted Barley Flour in their home cooking?
>>
>> I noticed it as an ingredient on a package of bagels I bought at the
>> local Whole Foods. We have a couple of bagel places in town and I
>> figured store-bought couldn't possibly be as good as those, but these
>> were better and they've become a staple here. And they stay fresh and
>> soft remarkably long, too.
>>
>> Because they list malted barley flour as an ingredient, I did some
>> reading - all kinds of interesting stuff out there, including things
>> about tannins (sp?). Whatever the case may be about that, I'm
>> considering buying some to try around here. We don't bake a lot but if
>> a little malted barley flour makes our stuff taste anything like these
>> bagels from WF, I want to try it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> try here
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...t-powder-16-oz
> I've never had malted barley flour, but have added Diastatic Malt
> Powder to my individual bread recipes. If you are just looking for
> the flavor, non-diastatic malt will do or even the powder you get to
> make malted milks at home. I buy diastatic malt flour at King Arthur
> Flour. Some have sprouted barley, dried it and ground it. I don't
> think it was Graham, but maybe.
> There are several very knowledgeable posters here who can add more
> Janet US

I've tried sprouted wheat and spelt flours, indeed I have some in the
fridge, but not malted barley flour. Some years ago, I was looking for
malted wheat grains to make a type of bread that is widely sold in the UK.
(http://tiny.cc/d7j79x)

I went to a shop that sold beer brewing supplies but the malted barley
was unsuitable as it still had the hulls and spikes (what we called
"havels" in East Anglia).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 10:56:41 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 20/03/2016 10:34 AM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 06:28:15 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone use Malted Barley Flour in their home cooking?
>>>
>>> I noticed it as an ingredient on a package of bagels I bought at the
>>> local Whole Foods. We have a couple of bagel places in town and I
>>> figured store-bought couldn't possibly be as good as those, but these
>>> were better and they've become a staple here. And they stay fresh and
>>> soft remarkably long, too.
>>>
>>> Because they list malted barley flour as an ingredient, I did some
>>> reading - all kinds of interesting stuff out there, including things
>>> about tannins (sp?). Whatever the case may be about that, I'm
>>> considering buying some to try around here. We don't bake a lot but if
>>> a little malted barley flour makes our stuff taste anything like these
>>> bagels from WF, I want to try it.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -S-
>>>

>> try here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...t-powder-16-oz
>> I've never had malted barley flour, but have added Diastatic Malt
>> Powder to my individual bread recipes. If you are just looking for
>> the flavor, non-diastatic malt will do or even the powder you get to
>> make malted milks at home. I buy diastatic malt flour at King Arthur
>> Flour. Some have sprouted barley, dried it and ground it. I don't
>> think it was Graham, but maybe.
>> There are several very knowledgeable posters here who can add more
>> Janet US
>>

>I've tried sprouted wheat and spelt flours, indeed I have some in the
>fridge, but not malted barley flour. Some years ago, I was looking for
>malted wheat grains to make a type of bread that is widely sold in the UK.
>(http://tiny.cc/d7j79x)
>
> I went to a shop that sold beer brewing supplies but the malted barley
>was unsuitable as it still had the hulls and spikes (what we called
>"havels" in East Anglia).

I tried the brew shop as well and couldn't get what I wanted. Then I
tried a food co-op and was able to get non-diastatic malt powder and
non-diastatic malt syrup. (Man! that syrup has got to be the
stickiest thing on the planet) I was finally able to get diastatic
malt powder at King Arthur flour. I liked what it did for dough that
spent some time in the fridge.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2016 11:55 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 10:56:41 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 20/03/2016 10:34 AM, Janet B wrote:

>>> try here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...t-powder-16-oz
>>> I've never had malted barley flour, but have added Diastatic Malt
>>> Powder to my individual bread recipes. If you are just looking for
>>> the flavor, non-diastatic malt will do or even the powder you get to
>>> make malted milks at home. I buy diastatic malt flour at King Arthur
>>> Flour. Some have sprouted barley, dried it and ground it. I don't
>>> think it was Graham, but maybe.
>>> There are several very knowledgeable posters here who can add more
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've tried sprouted wheat and spelt flours, indeed I have some in the
>> fridge, but not malted barley flour. Some years ago, I was looking for
>> malted wheat grains to make a type of bread that is widely sold in the UK.
>> (http://tiny.cc/d7j79x)
>>
>> I went to a shop that sold beer brewing supplies but the malted barley
>> was unsuitable as it still had the hulls and spikes (what we called
>> "havels" in East Anglia).

> I tried the brew shop as well and couldn't get what I wanted. Then I
> tried a food co-op and was able to get non-diastatic malt powder and
> non-diastatic malt syrup. (Man! that syrup has got to be the
> stickiest thing on the planet) I was finally able to get diastatic
> malt powder at King Arthur flour. I liked what it did for dough that
> spent some time in the fridge.
> Janet US

The malt syrup is an essential ingredient in malt loaf, a UK tea-time treat.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...ky-malt-loaves
Graham

Malted milkshakes Tom Anderson General Cooking 153 12-05-2008 02:35 AM
Malted rye? Mike Avery Sourdough 16 19-08-2005 12:16 AM
Frozen Malted Milk Pie CHADLEYGIRL Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2005 03:20 AM
Malted Barley flour [email protected] Sourdough 12 03-02-2005 10:38 PM
diastatic barley malt flour edgardo Baking 7 30-01-2005 07:31 PM