edgardo

Default diastatic barley malt flour

Does anyone know where I can buy this in small quantities? A google search
did not turn up any sources.

graham

"edgardo" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Does anyone know where I can buy this in small quantities? A google
> search
> did not turn up any sources.

Repost on alt.bread.recipes

Graham

Janet Bostwick

"edgardo" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Does anyone know where I can buy this in small quantities? A google
> search
> did not turn up any sources.

Go here http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...home/main.html

The Old Bear

"edgardo" > writes:

>From: "edgardo" >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: diastatic barley malt flour
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:18:18 -0500
>
>Does anyone know where I can buy this in small quantities? A google search
>did not turn up any sources.

King Arthur Flour sells diastatic malt in one pound bags for about $5.00
(Item # 3413). http://www.kingarthurflour.com

I was introduced to the use of diastatic malt about ten years ago when I
visited the King Arthur retail store in Vermont. I now use about 1 teaspoon
of it to six cups of flour in virtually all of my 2-loaf recipes. It seems
to make the yeast very happy.

Good luck.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

The Old Bear

"edgardo" > writes:

>From: "edgardo" >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: diastatic barley malt flour
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:18:18 -0500
>
>Does anyone know where I can buy this in small quantities? A google search
>did not turn up any sources.

King Arthur Flour sells diastatic malt in one pound bags for about $5.00
(Item # 3413). http://www.kingarthurflour.com

I was introduced to the use of diastatic malt about ten years ago when I
visited the King Arthur retail store in Vermont. I now use about 1 teaspoon
of it to six cups of flour in virtually all of my 2-loaf recipes. It seems
to make the yeast very happy.

Good luck.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

Raj V

Please, please, please, what is the difference between diastatic malt and
the malt syrup you can buy in home brewing shops?? I know one is a powder
the other a liquid. Just what does diastatic mean in this case?

Can you use Carnation malt in breads?

Raj V

"edgardo" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
> Does anyone know where I can buy this in small quantities? A google
> search
> did not turn up any sources.

Kenneth

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:20:09 GMT, "Raj V"
> wrote:

>Just what does diastatic mean in this case?

Hi Raj,

It means that the malt has in it an active enzyme call
diastase.

That helps in the conversion of the flour's starches to
sugars to feed the yeast.

That said, most flour that is sold commercially already has
diastatic malt in it.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Raj V

Thanks Kenneth,
I've been wondering about that since I started reading the NGs and several
bread cook books.
Raj V