Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Malted milkshakes

Hi,

Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
it was fantastic.

Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
(as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
Horlicks?)? Should i get some?

Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
strawberry shake be nice or vile?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

tom

--
Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom wrote on Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:16:24 +0100:

TA> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a
TA> chocolate milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making
TA> it malted; i had never had a malted milkshake before, and
TA> was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded: it was
fantastic.

TA> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do
TA> milkshakes here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly
TA> not part of our cuisine (as far as i know), so i've always
TA> been pretty hazy on how to make them. A couple of times,
TA> i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
TA> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate
TA> milkshake. That seems to work well, although i need masses
TA> of it, maybe 1 to 1.5 tablespoons to a pint. And it can
TA> make a bit of a mess. But is this the right way to do it?
TA> I've looked it up, and found some references to 'malted
TA> milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you
TA> have Horlicks?)? Should i get some?

TA> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a
TA> malted strawberry shake be nice or vile?

I've never really liked the taste of unfermented malt. It
reminds me of the concoction once given to kids to make
cod-liver oil palatable. It was called simply Cod-liver Oil and
Malt and it doesn't work! The gelatin capsule was fortunately
used after a while for those who insist on feeding the oil to
themselves or others.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never
> had a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were
> unfounded: it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them.
> A couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>
> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> strawberry shake be nice or vile?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers!
>
> tom

My grandfather used to keep jars of the malted milk powder in the
cabinet...It's texture was sort of like Nestle Quik if you know the
stuff...(more grainy than cocoa)...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 12:16�pm, Tom Anderson > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
> a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>
> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> strawberry shake be nice or vile?

Horlicks is available in the US, it's similar to malted milk powder
the same as Ovaltine is similar but not the same, not nearly enough
the same to produce a real malted. The original malted was made with
Carnation malted milk powder. Chocolate and vanilla are really the
only flavors that work well, strawberry malteds in my opinion taste
awful.

http://www.amazon.com/Carnation-Malt...d_sbs_gf_img_3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

> I've never really liked the taste of unfermented malt. It
> reminds me of the concoction once given to kids to make
> cod-liver oil palatable. It was called simply Cod-liver Oil and
> Malt and it doesn't work! The gelatin capsule was fortunately
> used after a while for those who insist on feeding the oil to
> themselves or others.

Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box
of 'em? At the movies?

Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when Pop
made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know why.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
> box
> of 'em? At the movies?

You mean Whoppers! And the box isn't so big anymore. I just finished
some off a little while ago.

I don't know if I've even had a malted milk shake, though.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 12:50�pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
> > Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
> > box
> > of 'em? At the movies?

> You mean Whoppers! �And the box isn't so big anymore. �I just finished
> some off a little while ago.

Yes, Whoppers = chocolate coated malted milk balls.

http://tinyurl.com/3rrgqt

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...alls&x=18&y=17

Milk Duds = chocolate coated caramel bits.

http://tinyurl.com/4wjvrf

http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Duds-Big-...7847535&sr=8-3

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
>> box
>> of 'em? At the movies?

> You mean Whoppers! And the box isn't so big anymore. I just finished
> some off a little while ago.
>
> I don't know if I've even had a malted milk shake, though.
>
> nancy

nancy,

I just remember they were "marbles," chocolate coated on the outside with
an airy/crunchy malt center on the inside that "vaporized" on your tongue.
I think another version had a chewy caramel center.

Maybe the box has shrunk but the pails of popcorn haven't changed.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> James Silverton said...
>
>> I've never really liked the taste of unfermented malt. It
>> reminds me of the concoction once given to kids to make
>> cod-liver oil palatable. It was called simply Cod-liver Oil and
>> Malt and it doesn't work! The gelatin capsule was fortunately
>> used after a while for those who insist on feeding the oil to
>> themselves or others.

> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box
> of 'em? At the movies?

Whoppers? They were great until you got a chewy one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
> a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>
> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> strawberry shake be nice or vile?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers!
>
> tom
>
> --
> Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love!

This is what is normally used:

http://www.nestleusa.com/PubOurBrand...7-10893D174FC2

Nestle Carnation Malted Milk

Their site should hopefully give you some leads on where to buy it.

One note - While chocolate or vanilla malted milkshakes are good, by far
the best is a coffee malted milkshake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote

> Andy wrote:

>> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
>> box of 'em? At the movies?

> Whoppers? They were great until you got a chewy one.

Those are the best!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Pete C. wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
>> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our
>> cuisine (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to
>> make them. A couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort
>> of treacly, barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate
>> milkshake. That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe
>> 1 to 1.5 tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is
>> this the right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some
>> references to 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks
>> (do you have Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>>
>> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
>> strawberry shake be nice or vile?

> This is what is normally used:
>
> http://www.nestleusa.com/PubOurBrand...7-10893D174FC2
>
> Nestle Carnation Malted Milk
>
> Their site should hopefully give you some leads on where to buy it.

Outside the USA, not so much, but now i know what it is i'm looking for, i
can get on the case.

> One note - While chocolate or vanilla malted milkshakes are good, by far
> the best is a coffee malted milkshake.

Oh yes, that sounds like an excellent idea!

tom

--
Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Sheldon wrote:

> On Apr 10, 12:16ÿÿpm, Tom Anderson > wrote:
>
>> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
>> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
>> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
>> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
>> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
>> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
>> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
>> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
>> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
>> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>>
>> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
>> strawberry shake be nice or vile?

> Horlicks is available in the US, it's similar to malted milk powder the
> same as Ovaltine is similar but not the same, not nearly enough the same
> to produce a real malted. The original malted was made with Carnation
> malted milk powder.

Okay, thanks, i'll look out for it. Amazon would be a pretty easy option,
but there are a few shops in town that stock the odd American product, so
i'll try there first.

> Chocolate and vanilla are really the only flavors that work well,
> strawberry malteds in my opinion taste awful.

Oh well!

tom

--
Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> James Silverton said...
>
>> I've never really liked the taste of unfermented malt. It
>> reminds me of the concoction once given to kids to make
>> cod-liver oil palatable. It was called simply Cod-liver Oil and
>> Malt and it doesn't work! The gelatin capsule was fortunately
>> used after a while for those who insist on feeding the oil to
>> themselves or others.

> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box
> of 'em? At the movies?
>
> Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when Pop
> made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know why.
>
> Andy

Whoppers are malted milk balls, Duds are chocolate covered caramel IIRC.
Love those whoppers.

We have an old-fashioned malt shop down the street from us. I go by
frequently and get a couple of large chocolate malts. Wife and I were
teens in the fifties so it's just a trip down memory lane.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Nancy Young said...
>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote
>>
>>> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
>>> box
>>> of 'em? At the movies?

>> You mean Whoppers! And the box isn't so big anymore. I just finished
>> some off a little while ago.
>>
>> I don't know if I've even had a malted milk shake, though.
>>
>> nancy

> nancy,
>
> I just remember they were "marbles," chocolate coated on the outside with
> an airy/crunchy malt center on the inside that "vaporized" on your tongue.
> I think another version had a chewy caramel center.
>
> Maybe the box has shrunk but the pails of popcorn haven't changed.
>
> Andy

I buy the Whoppers in a quart-size box like a quart milk carton.
Grandkids love them too.

Everything at the movie houses has changed, mostly to a higher expense.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley said...

> Andy wrote:
>> James Silverton said...
>>
>>> I've never really liked the taste of unfermented malt. It
>>> reminds me of the concoction once given to kids to make
>>> cod-liver oil palatable. It was called simply Cod-liver Oil and
>>> Malt and it doesn't work! The gelatin capsule was fortunately
>>> used after a while for those who insist on feeding the oil to
>>> themselves or others.

>> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
>> box of 'em? At the movies?
>>
>> Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when
>> Pop made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know
>> why.
>>
>> Andy

> Whoppers are malted milk balls, Duds are chocolate covered caramel IIRC.
> Love those whoppers.
>
> We have an old-fashioned malt shop down the street from us. I go by
> frequently and get a couple of large chocolate malts. Wife and I were
> teens in the fifties so it's just a trip down memory lane.
>
> George

George,

Heh, heh, heh.

It would be great if it really is "a trip down Memory Lane" for your trip
down memory lane...

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tom Anderson > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
> a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> right way to do it?

I know of malt powder, not malt extract.

> I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> Horlicks?)?

Yes.

> Should i get some?

Yes

> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate?

Yes.

> Would a malted
> strawberry shake be nice or vile?

Nice.

> Thanks in advance for any answers!

You're welcome.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>I know of malt powder, not malt extract.

Malt powder is for making milkshakes. Malt extract is for a
shortcut method of home-brewing beer. I don't think they're
the same kind of malt.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 10 Apr 2008 09:16:24a, Tom Anderson told us...

> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never

had
> a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them.

> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>
> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> strawberry shake be nice or vile?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers!
>
> tom

Hi Tom... I have always loved malted milkshakes. When soda fountains were
commin in drugstores and 10¢ stores here in the US, they seemed to make the
best malted milkshakes of all. Most of them used Horlick's Malted Milk
Powder, but some used Carnation Malted Milk Powder. I've never heard of
anyone using malt extract, although I suppose that would be an alternative.

I believe the two most popular flavor for drinks were chocolate and
vanilla. Malt goes with both of them perfectly. I'm not sure a fruit
flavor (like strawberry) would be that compatible with the malt flavor, but
it might be worth an experiment. Personally, I don't think I'd like it.

I bought a genuine malt mixer several years ago on eBay. It's identical to
this one:
http://tinyurl.com/6rmjly

Of course, you can easily make them in a blender, as well.

Yes, I would definitely by the Horlick's powder. It has the best flavor
and has a long shelf life.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 04(IV)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > James Silverton said...
> >
> >> I've never really liked the taste of unfermented malt. It
> >> reminds me of the concoction once given to kids to make
> >> cod-liver oil palatable. It was called simply Cod-liver Oil and
> >> Malt and it doesn't work! The gelatin capsule was fortunately
> >> used after a while for those who insist on feeding the oil to
> >> themselves or others.

> > Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box
> > of 'em? At the movies?
> >
> > Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when Pop
> > made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know why.
> >

> Whoppers are malted milk balls, Duds are chocolate covered caramel IIRC.
> Love those whoppers.

They sound similar to Maltesers, which I love.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Tom Anderson > wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> > milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
> > a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> > it was fantastic.
> >
> > Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> > here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> > (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
> > couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> > barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> > That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> > tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> > right way to do it?

> I know of malt powder, not malt extract.

I think you guys call it malt syrup.

This is what I use for bread making:

http://www.maltexo.com/nutrition_Maltexo.htm

I'm pretty sure this is the same stuff Tom is talking about.

We used to be subjected to it as a dietary supplement when we were kids.
I _hated_ it. Love it now.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 10 Apr 2008 09:16:24a, Tom Anderson told us...
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> > milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never

> had
> > a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> > it was fantastic.
> >
> > Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> > here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> > (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them.

> > couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> > barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> > That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> > tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> > right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> > 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> > Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
> >
> > Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> > strawberry shake be nice or vile?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any answers!
> >
> > tom
> >

> Hi Tom... I have always loved malted milkshakes. When soda fountains were
> commin in drugstores and 10¢ stores here in the US, they seemed to make the
> best malted milkshakes of all. Most of them used Horlick's Malted Milk
> Powder, but some used Carnation Malted Milk Powder. I've never heard of
> anyone using malt extract, although I suppose that would be an alternative.
>
> I believe the two most popular flavor for drinks were chocolate and
> vanilla. Malt goes with both of them perfectly. I'm not sure a fruit
> flavor (like strawberry) would be that compatible with the malt flavor, but
> it might be worth an experiment. Personally, I don't think I'd like it.

Coffee malted milkshakes are by far the best, with vanilla and chocolate
running a distant second and third. The whole coffee ice cream and
coffee malted milkshake thing seems to be a bit regional with some areas
not being familiar with coffee ice cream, though it's readily available.
I agree that malt is not likely to work well with any type of fruit
flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> George Shirley said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> James Silverton said...

>>> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big
>>> box of 'em? At the movies?
>>>
>>> Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when
>>> Pop made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know
>>> why.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Whoppers are malted milk balls, Duds are chocolate covered caramel IIRC.
>> Love those whoppers.
>>
>> We have an old-fashioned malt shop down the street from us. I go by
>> frequently and get a couple of large chocolate malts. Wife and I were
>> teens in the fifties so it's just a trip down memory lane.
>>
>> George

> George,
>
> Heh, heh, heh.
>
> It would be great if it really is "a trip down Memory Lane" for your trip
> down memory lane...
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Well, it pretty much is for me. I was a soda jerk in my Grandmother's
cafe in 1953-54-55. My spare time was spent there mixing malts,
milkshakes, slinging burgers and hot dogs, etc. She used to fuss at me
whenever I made a malt so thick it wouldn't pour out of the glass. I
only made them for the purty gurls in the cashmere sweaters wearing
those pleated wool skirts, bobby soxs and those brown and white shoes.
At my age any kind of memory is good. <VBG>

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box
> of 'em? At the movies?
>
> Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when Pop
> made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know why.

I can't remember the last time I even saw malted milkshakes on a menu. It was
probably 30-40 years ago. Milkshakes used to be a real treat when they were
made with real milk and real ice cream. I suppose there are still ice cream
parlours around that make real shakes, but most of the milk shakes are made in
special machines and contain a base that gets whipped up. They are not like the
real thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley said...

> Andy wrote:
>> George Shirley said...

big

when

>>> Whoppers are malted milk balls, Duds are chocolate covered caramel

IIRC.
>>> Love those whoppers.
>>>
>>> We have an old-fashioned malt shop down the street from us. I go by
>>> frequently and get a couple of large chocolate malts. Wife and I were
>>> teens in the fifties so it's just a trip down memory lane.
>>>
>>> George

>> George,
>>
>> Heh, heh, heh.
>>
>> It would be great if it really is "a trip down Memory Lane" for your

trip
>> down memory lane...
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> Well, it pretty much is for me. I was a soda jerk in my Grandmother's
> cafe in 1953-54-55. My spare time was spent there mixing malts,
> milkshakes, slinging burgers and hot dogs, etc. She used to fuss at me
> whenever I made a malt so thick it wouldn't pour out of the glass. I
> only made them for the purty gurls in the cashmere sweaters wearing
> those pleated wool skirts, bobby soxs and those brown and white shoes.
> At my age any kind of memory is good. <VBG>
>
> George

I think your memory is just fine!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane said...

> Steak 'n Shake, if you are in one of their locations:
> http://www.steaknshake.com/states/location.asp
>
> pavane

RATS!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>

> > Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box
> > of 'em? At the movies?
> >
> > Don't remember the last time I had a malted milk shake. I remember when Pop
> > made us milkshakes, he'd add an egg to the blender. I don't know why.
> >

> I can't remember the last time I even saw malted milkshakes on a menu. It
> was
> probably 30-40 years ago. Milkshakes used to be a real treat when they were
> made with real milk and real ice cream. I suppose there are still ice cream
> parlours around that make real shakes, but most of the milk shakes are made
> in
> special machines and contain a base that gets whipped up. They are not like
> the
> real thing.

Man, you need to move to New Zealand.

Most dairies (corner shops, general stores) will make you a real
milkshake with milk, vanilla ice cream as a thickener, and one of a raft
of flavoured syrups. (I particularly like spearmint, but that's
unusual.)

No malted milk powder, though.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Anderson" > wrote in message
h.li...
> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate milkshake. The
> milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had a malted milkshake
> before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded: it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes here at all,
> and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine (as far as i know), so
> i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A couple of times, i've bought
> jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly, barely sweet substance - and just added
> that to a chocolate milkshake. That seems to work well, although i need masses of
> it, maybe 1 to 1.5 tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is
> this the right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have Horlicks?)?
> Should i get some?
>
> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted strawberry shake
> be nice or vile?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers!
>
> tom

Horlick's malt powder, or any other malt powder would work great for malted
milkshakes. You can do any flavor, I prefer chocolate, but I do like strawberry and
coffee as well. It's really a personal preference.

My grandpa used to mix malt powder with milk, no ice cream, and drink that. He loved
it.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote on Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:29:51 -0700:

N> "Tom Anderson" > wrote in message
N> h.li...
??>> Hi,
??>>
??>> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a
??>> chocolate milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making
??>> it malted; i had never had a malted milkshake before, and
??>> was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded: it was
fantastic.
??>>
??>> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely
??>> do milkshakes here at all, and malted milkshakes are
??>> certainly not part of our cuisine (as far as i know), so
??>> i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A couple
??>> of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of
??>> treacly, barely sweet substance - and just added that to a
??>> chocolate milkshake. That seems to work well, although i
??>> need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5 tablespoons to a pint.
??>> And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the right way
??>> to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
??>> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks
??>> (do you have Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
??>>
??>> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a
??>> malted strawberry shake be nice or vile?
??>>
??>> Thanks in advance for any answers!
??>>
??>> tom

N> Horlick's malt powder, or any other malt powder would work
N> great for malted milkshakes. You can do any flavor, I prefer
N> chocolate, but I do like strawberry and coffee as well. It's
N> really a personal preference.

N> My grandpa used to mix malt powder with milk, no ice cream,
N> and drink that. He loved it.

When I was a small child in kindergarten, you could buy a
Horlick's tablet instead of the 1/3 pint of milk for a
halfpenny. I tried that exactly once!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Andy wrote:

> Well, it pretty much is for me. I was a soda jerk in my Grandmother's
> cafe in 1953-54-55. My spare time was spent there mixing malts,
> milkshakes, slinging burgers and hot dogs, etc. She used to fuss at me
> whenever I made a malt so thick it wouldn't pour out of the glass. I
> only made them for the purty gurls in the cashmere sweaters wearing
> those pleated wool skirts, bobby soxs and those brown and white shoes.

I can remember dressing exactly like that in high school
(graduated in '61)
right down to the saddle shoes or sometimes penny loafers.
We were more
likely to wear shetland or merino wool sweaters than
cashmere since we
weren't in an affluent area (cashmere sweaters cost $25-35,
a small fortune
in those days! IIRC.) I did miss out on the purty, but it
didn't slow me
down that much.
;-)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
> > Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The
> > big box of 'em? At the movies?

> You mean Whoppers! And the box isn't so big anymore. I just finished
> some off a little while ago.

The British have an even better malt ball, Maltesers:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltesers>

A friend who traveled to the UK used to bring them back.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
> a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
> it was fantastic.
>
> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?

Far's I know "malted milk powder" is what you want. Extract isn't, I
don't believe, the same thing.

> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> strawberry shake be nice or vile?

Even growing up in the years when malts were common, I never had any other
than chocolate malts. *Shakes* in other flavors, yes; but not malts.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 10 Apr 2008 09:16:24a, Tom Anderson told us...
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
>> milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never

> had
>> a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were
>> unfounded: it was fantastic.
>>
>> Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
>> here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
>> (as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them.

>> couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
>> barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
>> That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
>> tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
>> right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
>> 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
>> Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
>>
>> Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
>> strawberry shake be nice or vile?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any answers!
>>
>> tom
>>

> Hi Tom... I have always loved malted milkshakes. When soda fountains
> were commin in drugstores and 10¢ stores here in the US, they seemed to
> make the best malted milkshakes of all. Most of them used Horlick's
> Malted Milk Powder, but some used Carnation Malted Milk Powder. I've
> never heard of anyone using malt extract, although I suppose that would be
> an alternative.

I'm from that era, too. I don't remember anyone ever calling them "malted
milkshakes" even though they were, indeed shakes with malt powder. "Gimme
a chocolate malt, please." Come to think of it, you ordered a shake,
too, not a milkshake. There wasn't much else that "strawberry shake"
could be confused with.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
margaret suran > wrote:

> * 2 cups vanilla ice cream
> * 2/3 cup cold milk
> * 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
> * 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
> * 2 to 4 tablespoons whipped cream

And a cherry on top!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

>Come to think of it, you ordered a shake,
>too, not a milkshake. There wasn't much else that "strawberry shake"
>could be confused with.

I thought places like McDonald's started calling them
"shakes" because there was no actual milk in it, just chalk
and corn syrup.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Tom Anderson wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Many years ago, i was visiting San Francisco, and had a chocolate
>>milkshake. The milkshake guy insisted on making it malted; i had never had
>>a malted milkshake before, and was dubious, but my doubts were unfounded:
>>it was fantastic.
>>
>>Now, i'm british (sorry!), and live in the UK. We barely do milkshakes
>>here at all, and malted milkshakes are certainly not part of our cuisine
>>(as far as i know), so i've always been pretty hazy on how to make them. A
>>couple of times, i've bought jars of malt extract - a sort of treacly,
>>barely sweet substance - and just added that to a chocolate milkshake.
>>That seems to work well, although i need masses of it, maybe 1 to 1.5
>>tablespoons to a pint. And it can make a bit of a mess. But is this the
>>right way to do it? I've looked it up, and found some references to
>>'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
>>Horlicks?)? Should i get some?

> Far's I know "malted milk powder" is what you want. Extract isn't, I
> don't believe, the same thing.
>

>>Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
>>strawberry shake be nice or vile?

> Even growing up in the years when malts were common, I never had any other
> than chocolate malts. *Shakes* in other flavors, yes; but not malts.

The best malt I ever had was chocolate.

My husband, a friend and myself had gone down to Bonne Terre mine for
some semi-local scuba diving. The air temperature is something like 65
degree, the water 58. We knew we were screwed when we're in the
changing room suiting up in our ill-fitting rented wetsuits and hearing
the screams of novice dive groups entering the water for their open
water certifications.

The water was so clear that it was like flying through thin air but I
couldn't forget the weight of mountains above me, or the depth of the
mine below. A guy who was with our group managed to drop his weight
belt while trying to adjust the fit. It wound up in about 200 feet of
water. He was given a loaner and told that if he'd leave a description
of the lost item and his contact info they'd call him if one of the
nitrox crew got down there and recovered it.

Bonne Terre is a haunted place. Before West End Diving bought the
thing, divers died there on a regular basis, sometimes in twos and
threes, leaving their echos and sometimes their unrecovered bodies
behind. And before that, the poor mules who lived out their days in
darkness, and the men who died in accidents. It's a Bad Place.

Coming up out of that water, peeling off that clammy neoprene and
walking out, shivering and ravenous, into the warmth and sunlight of a
summer day felt like a blessing. And that chocolate malt and the bacon
cheeseburger I ate with it tasted like gifts from the gods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

> On 10-Apr-2008, Tom Anderson > wrote:
>
> > I've looked it up, and found some references to
> > 'malted milk powder'; what is that? Is it like Horlicks (do you have
> > Horlicks?)? Should i get some?
> >
> > Also, do you malt milkshakes other than chocolate? Would a malted
> > strawberry shake be nice or vile?

> Horlick's is the original malt powder; US malted milk shakes were/are made
> with a malt powder originally made by Carnation. Carnation is now owned by
> Nestle; I haven't seen the powder lately (though I haven't looked either)
> but have seen malted milk syrup right next to the Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.
> I suggest you try Horlick's malted powder; there may be some difference in
> strength, since it is made for a different market and is generally a hot
> drink. A bit of experimenting with quantity should get you to the flavor
> you want.
>
> Though shakes are are sold in many flavors in the US, the most popular are
> chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. I have never seen, nor can I imagine
> the taste, of a malted other than chocolate or vanilla.
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

The Horlick's I remember are the malted milk tablets (still available
BTW). The powder I've used has always been the Carnation and it's still
readily available most everywhere in the US.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>

> > "Andy" <q> wrote
> >
> > > Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The
> > > big box of 'em? At the movies?

> > You mean Whoppers! And the box isn't so big anymore. I just finished
> > some off a little while ago.

> The British have an even better malt ball, Maltesers:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltesers>
>
> A friend who traveled to the UK used to bring them back.

Maltesers are great, especially the dark chocolate ones.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "ravenlynne" > wrote
>
>> Andy wrote:

>>> Don't you remember chocolate malted milk duds? They were great. The big box of
>>> 'em? At the movies?

>> Whoppers? They were great until you got a chewy one.

> Those are the best!
>
> nancy

I agree! At Easter, I'm always looking through the Robin Eggs to find the misshapen
ones, because they are inevitably the chewy ones!

kimberly

Milkshakes vs. slush Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 13 01-04-2011 06:04 PM
electric whisk to make milkshakes? (uk) [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 30-03-2008 05:45 PM
Malted rye? Mike Avery Sourdough 16 19-08-2005 12:16 AM
Frozen Malted Milk Pie CHADLEYGIRL Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2005 03:20 AM
Milkshakes/Smoothies (7) Collection Marita Blessing Recipes (moderated) 0 20-06-2004 08:55 PM