Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Parmesan cheese sold at stores including Walmart and Whole Foodsmight not be what you think it is

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 8:08:15 PM UTC-6, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> http://www.chron.com/technology/busi...rmesan-cheese-
> sold-at-stores-including-Walmart-6834174.php
>
> A new report shows your favorite Parmesan cheese may contain some
> ingredients that you might find disconcerting.
>
> Bloomberg News tested store-bought grated cheeses for cellulose, revealing
> that all of the cheeses tested contained the anti-clumping additive made
> of wood pulp.
>
> Walmart's Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8%
> cellulose, while Jewel-Osco's Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan
> Cheese clocked in at 8.8%.
>
> Kraft had 3.8%.
> Cheese makers and retailers told Bloomberg they were investigating the
> test results further.
>
> Cellulose is a safe additive, Bloomberg notes, listed as an ingredient in
> these "100%" cheeses. However, an acceptable level is 2% to 4%.
>
> Whole Foods does not list cellulose as an ingredient, but the Whole Foods
> 365 Parmesan tested at 0.3% cellulose.
>
> The company told Bloomberg it is investigating the matter, but believes
> the test may have been a false positive.
>
> Cheese makers often mix in higher levels of the wood pulp when making
> cheese because it is more inexpensive than pure Parmesan.
>
> The FDA is investigating another cheese marker: Castle Cheese Inc.
>
> The company's president is scheduled this month to plead guilty to pumping
> products full of cellulose and using cheaper cheddar instead of real
> Romano.

Cellulose is nutritious if you are a termite! :-( No it's not harmful or digestible, by humans!

What percent cellulose is Parmasean Reggiano?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/02/2016 10:01 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 8:08:15 PM UTC-6, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>> http://www.chron.com/technology/busi...rmesan-cheese-
>> sold-at-stores-including-Walmart-6834174.php
>>
>> A new report shows your favorite Parmesan cheese may contain some
>> ingredients that you might find disconcerting.
>>
>> Bloomberg News tested store-bought grated cheeses for cellulose, revealing
>> that all of the cheeses tested contained the anti-clumping additive made
>> of wood pulp.
>>
>> Walmart's Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8%
>> cellulose, while Jewel-Osco's Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan
>> Cheese clocked in at 8.8%.
>>
>> Kraft had 3.8%.
>> Cheese makers and retailers told Bloomberg they were investigating the
>> test results further.
>>
>> Cellulose is a safe additive, Bloomberg notes, listed as an ingredient in
>> these "100%" cheeses. However, an acceptable level is 2% to 4%.
>>
>> Whole Foods does not list cellulose as an ingredient, but the Whole Foods
>> 365 Parmesan tested at 0.3% cellulose.
>>
>> The company told Bloomberg it is investigating the matter, but believes
>> the test may have been a false positive.
>>
>> Cheese makers often mix in higher levels of the wood pulp when making
>> cheese because it is more inexpensive than pure Parmesan.
>>
>> The FDA is investigating another cheese marker: Castle Cheese Inc.
>>
>> The company's president is scheduled this month to plead guilty to pumping
>> products full of cellulose and using cheaper cheddar instead of real
>> Romano.

> Cellulose is nutritious if you are a termite! :-( No it's not harmful or digestible, by humans!
>
> What percent cellulose is Parmasean Reggiano?
>

> John Kuthe...

Cellulose is a much nicer word than sawdust!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:01:46 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 8:08:15 PM UTC-6, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>> http://www.chron.com/technology/busi...rmesan-cheese-
>> sold-at-stores-including-Walmart-6834174.php
>>
>> A new report shows your favorite Parmesan cheese may contain some
>> ingredients that you might find disconcerting.
>>
>> Bloomberg News tested store-bought grated cheeses for cellulose, revealing
>> that all of the cheeses tested contained the anti-clumping additive made
>> of wood pulp.
>>
>> Walmart's Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8%
>> cellulose, while Jewel-Osco's Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan
>> Cheese clocked in at 8.8%.
>>
>> Kraft had 3.8%.
>> Cheese makers and retailers told Bloomberg they were investigating the
>> test results further.
>>
>> Cellulose is a safe additive, Bloomberg notes, listed as an ingredient in
>> these "100%" cheeses. However, an acceptable level is 2% to 4%.
>>
>> Whole Foods does not list cellulose as an ingredient, but the Whole Foods
>> 365 Parmesan tested at 0.3% cellulose.
>>
>> The company told Bloomberg it is investigating the matter, but believes
>> the test may have been a false positive.
>>
>> Cheese makers often mix in higher levels of the wood pulp when making
>> cheese because it is more inexpensive than pure Parmesan.
>>
>> The FDA is investigating another cheese marker: Castle Cheese Inc.
>>
>> The company's president is scheduled this month to plead guilty to pumping
>> products full of cellulose and using cheaper cheddar instead of real
>> Romano.

>Cellulose is nutritious if you are a termite! :-( No it's not harmful or digestible, by humans!
>
>What percent cellulose is Parmasean Reggiano?
>

>John Kuthe...

Cellulose is only added to packaged grated as an anti-clumping
ingredient... like the one in the green tube... doesn't matter it's
not digestible, it's like wheat bran, passes right through.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 17/02/2016 10:01 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 8:08:15 PM UTC-6, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>>> http://www.chron.com/technology/busi...rmesan-cheese-
>>> sold-at-stores-including-Walmart-6834174.php
>>>
>>> A new report shows your favorite Parmesan cheese may contain some
>>> ingredients that you might find disconcerting.
>>>
>>> Bloomberg News tested store-bought grated cheeses for cellulose, revealing
>>> that all of the cheeses tested contained the anti-clumping additive made
>>> of wood pulp.
>>>
>>> Walmart's Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8%
>>> cellulose, while Jewel-Osco's Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan
>>> Cheese clocked in at 8.8%.
>>>
>>> Kraft had 3.8%.
>>> Cheese makers and retailers told Bloomberg they were investigating the
>>> test results further.
>>>
>>> Cellulose is a safe additive, Bloomberg notes, listed as an ingredient in
>>> these "100%" cheeses. However, an acceptable level is 2% to 4%.
>>>
>>> Whole Foods does not list cellulose as an ingredient, but the Whole Foods
>>> 365 Parmesan tested at 0.3% cellulose.
>>>
>>> The company told Bloomberg it is investigating the matter, but believes
>>> the test may have been a false positive.
>>>
>>> Cheese makers often mix in higher levels of the wood pulp when making
>>> cheese because it is more inexpensive than pure Parmesan.
>>>
>>> The FDA is investigating another cheese marker: Castle Cheese Inc.
>>>
>>> The company's president is scheduled this month to plead guilty to pumping
>>> products full of cellulose and using cheaper cheddar instead of real
>>> Romano.

>> Cellulose is nutritious if you are a termite! :-( No it's not harmful or digestible, by humans!
>>
>> What percent cellulose is Parmasean Reggiano?
>>

>> John Kuthe...
>>

>Cellulose is a much nicer word than sawdust!

Reduced to a fine powder it's no more sawdust than powdered spices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2016 12:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
> Reduced to a fine powder it's no more sawdust than powdered spices.

You're comparing wood pulp to ground spices?

I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker can.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/18/2016 12:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0700, graham > wrote:
> >
> > Reduced to a fine powder it's no more sawdust than powdered spices.

> You're comparing wood pulp to ground spices?
>
> I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker can.

I buy that cheese and I prefer it. I buy the combo of parmesan/romano.
Since it's dried, the flavor is more concentrated and I like that. The
only ingredients are cheese and powdered cellulose. I don't care
about that "sawdust." I don't know but it might even offer a good
flavor. I guess that depends on what wood dust they use. heh heh

Real fresh parm is much weaker in flavor and I'll use up an entire
wedge on just one dish. The can of dried will last me much longer.
The canned stuff rules, imo.

Maybe better that ppl here quit reading all the fine print on labels
and just eat what tastes good. We all die about the same ages anyway.
I say eat whatever sounds good at the moment and quit worrying about
all this nit-picky stuff.

:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:37:03 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/18/2016 12:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0700, graham > wrote:
> >
> > Reduced to a fine powder it's no more sawdust than powdered spices.

> You're comparing wood pulp to ground spices?
>
> I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker can.

It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:37:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2016 12:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0700, graham > wrote:
>> >
>> > Reduced to a fine powder it's no more sawdust than powdered spices.

>> You're comparing wood pulp to ground spices?
>>
>> I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker
>> can.
>>

> It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.

Explain, please, sf?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:19:32 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >>

> > It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.

> Explain, please, sf?

You've probably viewed the image link I posted to Ed by this time.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:58:49 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>> I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker can.

>I buy that cheese and I prefer it. I buy the combo of parmesan/romano.

Milano's 3 cheese Italian Blend on Amazon.

Tastes great, and comes in an 80 ounce tub at a great price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:19:32 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >>
>> > It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.

>> Explain, please, sf?

> You've probably viewed the image link I posted to Ed by this time.

No, it wouldn't open for me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:19:32 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:

> >> Explain, please, sf?

> > You've probably viewed the image link I posted to Ed by this time.

> No, it wouldn't open for me.

Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > You've probably viewed the image link I posted to Ed by this time.

>> No, it wouldn't open for me.

> Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".

Ahhh that is what we use in the car. We have 12 volt adapter that plugs
into the lighter sockets in the cars which has a usb output. We have a
cable that will go from the phones either to that usb adapter or into a
computer)

Gottit! Thanks) I thought you are talking about cheese and cellulose,
not the usb adapter lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:41:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:

> >> No, it wouldn't open for me.

> > Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".

> Ahhh that is what we use in the car. We have 12 volt adapter that plugs
> into the lighter sockets in the cars which has a usb output. We have a
> cable that will go from the phones either to that usb adapter or into a
> computer)
>
> Gottit! Thanks) I thought you are talking about cheese and cellulose,
> not the usb adapter lol

No idea how that reply was so misplaced. It was supposed to be in
reply to Bruce and his cell phone charging problem!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:41:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".

>> Ahhh that is what we use in the car. We have 12 volt adapter that plugs
>> into the lighter sockets in the cars which has a usb output. We have a
>> cable that will go from the phones either to that usb adapter or into a
>> computer)
>>
>> Gottit! Thanks) I thought you are talking about cheese and cellulose,
>> not the usb adapter lol

> No idea how that reply was so misplaced. It was supposed to be in
> reply to Bruce and his cell phone charging problem!

<g> not to worry) It happens)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:59:41 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 07:18:42 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> No, it wouldn't open for me.

>> Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".

>Bobblehead Barbie strikes again! Bravo! <clap-clap-clap>

"Oops. Meant that for the alt.food.fast-food group." (sw)

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 07:30:55 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:59:41 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 07:18:42 -0800, sf wrote:

> >> Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".

> >Bobblehead Barbie strikes again! Bravo! <clap-clap-clap>

> "Oops. Meant that for the alt.food.fast-food group." (sw)

Isn't it adorable how he keeps calling me a bobblehead? He's clueless
as to what the term really means, but seriously. I would be worth a
lot of money if I was one. <checking bank account> Oh, wait - I am
worth a lot of money! Silly me. Life is good for this bobblehead.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2016 4:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The line forms here ------>

I have been stuffing my fat little ****ing face again with food I
'borrowed' from:

https://www.austinfoodbank.org/news/...unteer-quarter

OK I admit it, I am eating my way through Texas.

Make me a zip code, or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2016 11:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Bravo! <clap-clap-clap>
>
> -sw

I have been stuffing my fat little ****ing face again with food I
'borrowed' from:

https://www.austinfoodbank.org/news/...unteer-quarter

OK I admit it, I am eating my way through Texas.

Make me a zip code, or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2016 8:20 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Cellulose is also used in making <drum roll> yoga mats!
>
> -sw

I have been stuffing my fat little ****ing face again with food I
'borrowed' from:

https://www.austinfoodbank.org/news/...unteer-quarter

OK I admit it, I am eating my way through Texas.

Make me a zip code, or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2016 3:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:37:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2016 12:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:21:50 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>>
>>> Reduced to a fine powder it's no more sawdust than powdered spices.

>> You're comparing wood pulp to ground spices?
>>
>> I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker can.
>>

> It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.

If I buy a wedge of Parmesan cheese, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have
cellulose powder added to it. It's expensive, but it lasts a good long
time as it's a hard cheese.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 9:18:42 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> > > You've probably viewed the image link I posted to Ed by this time.

> > No, it wouldn't open for me.

> Go to Google Images and plug in "usb car charger".
>

> --
>
> sf

I don't think you can charge a car via a USB port. Too much power required. Well OK, maybe on a long slow trickle charge. ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 09:41:53 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/18/2016 3:18 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:37:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> You're comparing wood pulp to ground spices?
> >>
> >> I buy and grate my own Parm. I don't buy the stuff in the green shaker can.
> >>

> > It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.
> >

> If I buy a wedge of Parmesan cheese, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have
> cellulose powder added to it. It's expensive, but it lasts a good long
> time as it's a hard cheese.

The article wasn't talking about a wedge of cheese.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2016 12:16 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 09:41:53 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2016 3:18 PM, sf wrote:

>>> It doesn't need to be in a can to contain cellulose powder.
>>>

>> If I buy a wedge of Parmesan cheese, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have
>> cellulose powder added to it. It's expensive, but it lasts a good long
>> time as it's a hard cheese.
>>

> The article wasn't talking about a wedge of cheese.

I know that. That's why I don't have to worry about cellulose in my
Parmesan.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:58:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/22/2016 12:16 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 09:41:53 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> If I buy a wedge of Parmesan cheese, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have
> >> cellulose powder added to it. It's expensive, but it lasts a good long
> >> time as it's a hard cheese.
> >>

> > The article wasn't talking about a wedge of cheese.
> >

> I know that. That's why I don't have to worry about cellulose in my
> Parmesan.

When I buy grated and shredded cheese, I don't worry about it either.

--

sf